Start by marking “Obsidian Alliances (Star Trek: Mirror Universe, #2)” as Want to Read:
Obsidian Alliances (Star Trek: Mirror Universe, #2)

Obsidian Alliances (Star Trek: Mirror Universe #2)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  403 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Some say the line between good and evil is narrower than we imagine -- a divide as subtle as a mirror, and perhaps just as deep. To peer into its black, reflective glass is to know the dark potential we each possess, and we cross that obsidian boundary at our peril . . . into a world where we no longer recognize who we are or what we believed ourselves capable of.

In the
Published March 20th 2007 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Obsidian Alliances, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Obsidian Alliances

Neil
I read this on a whim [and partly because I enjoyed the 'Mirror Universe' episodes from the original Start Trek and Deep Space Nine]. I assume they are three individual stories collecting into a single volume? I do not know. It was okay. None of the stories really stood out to me. I cannot say the character development was exceptionally well done. I cannot say I am inspired to read any of the other volumes in the series.

Despite not being familiar with the 'New Frontier' series by Peter David, I
Steve
This is really three stories that are related by which universe they take place in. I've always found the mirror universe stories to be rather fascinating, as they give us a glimpse of parts of the characters we've grown to love that are not at the forefront, or suppressed. The first one was Voyager, without it, which worked well enough, with enough action to keep me reading. The second story I treated as a stand-alone, until I got the climax and got enough context to place it. The last one was ...more
Liz
Nov 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Those hardcoare Kes fans who think Seven is the "Mary Sue"
PLEASE NOTE: This review pertains only to the "Voyager" story, "Mirror Scaled Serpent."

And once again, I'm reviewing based on memory. If I remember anything blatantly wrong, feel free to correct me.

Anyway, this story p*ssed me off.

It was intriguing at first. I particularly liked B'Elanna, now hating her human half and wishing to be fully Klingon, filing her teeth to points, and Tom being her "favorite plaything." I liked Harry Kim's parallel being a psychotic assassin.

But early on, it was cl
Crystal Bensley
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great collection of mirror universe tales.
Tarl
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Overall, this was an amazing read and really done well.
I'll now look at the stories individually.

"The Mirror-Scaled Serpent"
Deals with Voyager crew members. Compared to the first volume of Mirror Universe stories, this one sets the tone for the others in this collection. Unlike the first anthology, the stories in this collection are brutal and significantly darker. In this tale, I really enjoyed how a number of the Voyager's crew members were handled. I was never a fan of the show, finding the c
Alex
Jun 23, 2012 rated it liked it
The first story in this second book, The Mirror-Scaled Serpent, takes place in the Star Trek Voyager universe and features Chakotay in command of a rebel ship and its crew made up of Kate Janeway as engineer, Harry Kim as fighter and torturer, Tuvok as tactical officer and Annika Hansen (Seven of Nine) as engineer. Also appearing in the story are B'ellana a hated klingon-human hybrid trying to seize power within the Cardassian-Klingon alliance and Neelix and Kes, who are thrown into this part of ...more
Jimyanni
Nov 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
In the original Star Trek television series, one of the most popular episodes concerned a "Parallel Universe" that four of the characters found themselves in due to a transporter accident; a universe which looked strikingly similar to the one that they came from, but which had radical differences, as well. The biggest differences seemed to be that their counterparts in that universe -- and the counterparts of their crewmates -- were as evil and unscrupulous as they and their crewmates were good. ...more
John Kirk
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
These stories are consistent with all of the TV episodes, but not with any of the previously published "mirror universe" novels. They're also consistent with the New Frontier novels, and implicitly consistent with the DS9 relaunch novels.

"The Mirror-Scaled Serpent" (Voyager), by Keith R.A. DeCandido. This is set in the Alpha quadrant, the idea being that Neelix and Kes were sent into the Badlands rather than Janeway and co being pulled into the Delta quadrant. It's basically what I'd expect from
Marc
Feb 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
I loved Mirror Universe but I love what-if and alternate timeline stories. That's what this was.

I'm not a big VOY fan. I think out of all of Star Trek, VOY was the worse series. It was just boring. The characters were boring and the plot was boring until Seven came on board. It was sad because out of all the premises, VOY had the most promise. Luckily, The Mirror-Scaled Serpent was not boring.

Since the Marquee wasn't explored in VOY, you got that sense of feeling here. The Rebellion was basical
David Palazzolo
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I bought this book for the New Frontier story "Cutting Ties" by Peter David. I may read the other two stories later, but I wish to power through to the end of the New Frontier books as I am so close. To that end:

"Cutting Ties" is the 24th chapter of what is properly called Star Trek: The New Frontier, but what I like to refer to as Star Trek: The Prime Time Soap. The story gives us a glimpse of our familiar cast done over "Mirror Universe" style. The so called Mirror Universe is a parallel unive
Tim
Dec 29, 2009 rated it liked it
3 and a half really.

The first story about the Voyager characters was really great (four stars). I was always a Kes fan (stopped watching the series once they dumped poor Jennifer Lien) and this was fun.

The second story about the "new frontier" characters was unreadable (Hint to Peter David: overuse of apostrophies does NOT make for "alien looking/sounding" names...it just smacks of poor pulp fantasy writing). I can't even give this one one star.

The third story was really good (3 and a half for
Joy
Apr 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
I've read all three stories but I just reread the New Frontier story to get ready for the newest book.

All three stories take place in the "Mirror Mirror" universe.

M'k'e'n'zy of Calhoun is a cowardly little boy who is kept as a hostage by the Praetor of Romulus who calls him Muck. When he is of no further use, he is sent to the Reman mines. He is rescued as an adult by Soleta, who has embraced her Romulan heritage. They go aboard Si Cwan's ship which is powered by a mysterious and powerful force.
Jason
Jan 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I found the Voyager and Excalibur sequences to be quite entertaining. I'm not very familiar with the McKenzie Calhoun stories but found it easy to follow nonetheless. However the Deep Space Nine sequence seemed to drag and more of a struggle to complete. I must admit that maybe from a predisposition to disliking the DS:9 franchise as a whole. As a whole I find it worth reading if for no other reason than to keep continuity within the Mirror Universe "mini-series".
Bjorn Zangmeister
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Overall, an interesting collection of stories, reflecting the different series of Star Trek where reference has been made to alternate universes existing.

Once you start reading, you do get drawn into the story and the writing style of each of the authors, and for me it was a good, enjoyable read. I liked the end of the last story as it left the door open for more to be written in this series in the future.

Enjoyed it very much
Phillip
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this is the greatest Star Trek book (books, technically, since there are three stories) I've ever read! I admit to not being a fan of the Mirror Universe, and I know nothing about ST: New Frontier, but these mirror universe stories were awesome. I loved integrating the Voyager characters. I was engrossed and hate putting it down. Great book.
Nicole
Dec 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Re-read, September 2016: Enjoyed reading these Mirror Universe books, especially after reading several DS9 books set in or partially in this universe. Should have probably read the Mirror Universe books before reading the DS9 books, however.

Original review, 2007: wasn't wild about this book but was still an okay read.
Angela
Three stories set in the Mirror Universe. They can be read in isolation. The most memorable is that based on the characters from the frontier series of books. It feels like an action adventure rather than something that is shoe-horned in. A good read.
Daryl
May 11, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked two out of the three stories. The middle story I didn't read because it was based on Peter David's New Frontier series. I haven't read any of that so a Mirror story wouldn't have been appreciated. Other than that I recommend to any Mirror Universe fan.
Joe Pranaitis
Mar 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Since I just finished it I have to say that I did like the approch of all three but only wished that the tales of this unvierse of trek would continue becasue I for one would like to see if the Tarren Rebellion wins in their war agaisnt the Alliance.
Tracy
Jan 08, 2010 is currently reading it
OK - not quite totally done with it yet - maybe 2/3 through - but 2/3 through for the last year or so
Becca
Aug 05, 2008 rated it liked it
How can you argue with a good Intendant Kira tale? However, based on the middle story, I'm not sure Peter David understands the point of the Mirror Universe.
Debra Cook
Nov 02, 2016
Pat C
Dec 29, 2011
Mirror Universe 2 3 Nov 27, 2017 12:03PM
  • Shards and Shadows (Star Trek: Mirror Universe, #3)
  • Glass Empires (Star Trek: Mirror Universe, #1)
  • Infinity's Prism (Star Trek: Myriad Universes, #1)
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • The Sorrows of Empire (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)
  • Unworthy (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Watching the Clock (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations #1)
  • Shattered Light (Star Trek: Myriad Universes, #3)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 10
  • Seize the Fire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #2)
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Lives of Dax
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)

Star Trek: Mirror Universe (3 books)
  • Glass Empires (Star Trek: Mirror Universe, #1)
  • Shards and Shadows (Star Trek: Mirror Universe, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Lathe of Heaven
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
    $9.99 $1.99
  • King of Thieves
  • Area 51 (Area 51, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Parable of the Sower (Earthseed)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Mission (Area 51, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mongoliad (The Mongoliad Cycle Book 1)
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Extinction Point (Extinction Point, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Perfection (Finding Paradise #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sphinx (Area 51, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rewinder (Rewinder Series Book 1)
  • Master of Formalities
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Grail (Area 51, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Excalibur (Area 51, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Into the Black (Odyssey One, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Devotion (Finding Paradise, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Shadows (The Fianna Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Dystopia Chronicles (Atopia, #2)
  • The Guardian Herd: Starfire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
  • Once Was a Time
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Truth (Area 51, #7)
  • The Bird Eater
  • Ruined
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Exo (Exo #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Nosferatu (Area 51, #8)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poor Man's Fight (Poor Man's Fight, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Abby in Wonderland (Whatever After, #10.5)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Palace Job (Rogues of the Republic #1)
  • Slaughterhouse-Five
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Oddfits
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Imago (Xenogenesis, #3)
    $6.99 $1.99