Start by marking “The Experiment (Saving Caeorleia #1)” as Want to Read:
The Experiment  (Saving Caeorleia #1)

The Experiment (Saving Caeorleia #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  918 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews
In the distant future, humans wage war against the alien planet Caeorleia, with no tactic off-limits if it will help the humans get their hands on Caeorleia’s resources. Ask Ryker. He thought he volunteered for a simple experiment that would help his government in the war. He didn't realize sadistic doctors would turn him into the experiment—by injecting him with blood fro ...more
Published January 27th 2014 by Dreamspinner Press (first published January 12th 2012)

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
This book will have wildly different ratings depending on the reader. Some people will love this one, unfortunately, I didn't.

From the blurb, I anticipated a gritty alien-torture sci-fi with a slow-burn romance. That isn't what this book is like at all, so be forewarned. It is much more similar to yaoi-style books: Insta-love (or close to it), forced mating, a top and bottom with defined roles... you get the idea. However, I actually like some yaoi books, so I could have adjusted to the change
Bookwatcher
The plot
In a future, Earth is in war against Ceaorleia... humans want that planet, their resources... what humans will sacrifice to win this war?
Oh so simple... what a greedy human would do to win, what would be done? Where would be the limit in the human need to conquer another world? No limit...nothing would be too much... neither use humans as weapon

Meet Ryker, an unlucky human, volunteer in what he thought was just a scientific experiment.

It was... but he could never guess HE would be the gu
ttg
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, reviews
Overall I thought The Experiment was a pretty fun sci-fi romance. The story follows human Ryker, whose body is altered by human scientists as part of their war against another alien race. The experiments are very much against his will, and to his horror, he and one of the aliens they’re fighting against are ejected into a shuttle and sent to the alien’s planet.

There, Ryker expects a quick death by the aliens’ hands, but instead, is faced with a much gentler treatment than what he experienced by
Lilia Ford
I found this a fun read, and I'll probably read the next part if there is one since Nordwell successfully raised my curiosity about late-arriving characters like Dade and Nicklaus. It's safe to say I'm a fan of any and all variations of the alien abduction story, and a downright sucker for the big-tough alpha alien meets meek earth-boy plotline. This was more of an engaging play on the familiar elements of that story rather than an exploration of new territory. Sadly but predictably, our toppy v ...more
Xing
Jan 26, 2014 added it
The Experiment wasn't what I expected and I was having a hard time getting into the story. I was expecting something a little bit more gritty and dark, since there is mention of experimental abuse with one of the characters. Plus, I'm having a hard time getting the concept of naked vampire-based alien species from another planet (similar in the sense of claws, fangs, and moments of neck-biting). There's a soul-bonding/mate feel reminiscent of werewolf shifter stories (between the main alien char ...more
Vivian
Jan 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: erotica-fantasy
Gritty beginning with rainbows and unicorns ending.

So I expected this to be darker, or rather, darker for longer than it was. After the start it turned very lovey-dovey and played into the possessive, caring, bigger male and delicate, smaller, feisty male theme which is fine. Not my favorite, but I'll roll with it.

I guess I wanted more of this:
Seral lifted his wrist to his mouth and licked at the bite marks. “It didn’t hurt. You may not have fangs, but I liked it when you bit me.

But it quickl
Chris, the Dalek King
“They’d lied to us.

We weren’t working on an experiment. We were the experiment.”

Five years ago Ryker was at the end of his rope. Broke, alone, and increasingly surrounded by the drumbeats of humanities war mongering, he took a chance at a new beginning. It seemed the government needed some people to help study the environmental safety of a planet they intended to colonize. As an ex lab-tech, Ryker figures he’s got as good a shot as any other candidate. And he does. He’s perfect. Except it was
⚣❣☙ Cocky™ Michaelle ❧❣⚣
3.0 Stars

Holy hell this was a lot of effort to slog through. At times I loved it; the scifi elements, the alien society...even some of the OTT drama. BUT - if it weren't for the audio I don't think I'd have finished it because it was just so...too much? Like, a good editor would have tightened up the story to eliminate unnecessary or confusing scenes. Plus, the drama (while OTT) was also a bit juvenile? IDK how to explain it...like, things were made into a big deal and overly emotional when it w
SueM
I read this story some time ago when Cia (aka Alicia Nordwell) had this story published on-line. Having enjoyed the on-line version, as well the author's contribution to the M/M Romance Group's Love Has No Boundaries event, I was interested to see if there was much difference between the two versions. Admittedly my memory may not be all that clear, but it seems there is no fundamental change.

Earth that has long-plunged into desolation - trees and grass are only found in vids, and winter rule muc
Chappy
Holy crap, this book was amazing.

Right off the bat, it pulled me into Ryker's painful story. He's been tricked by Earth's government and taken on a ship to an alien world. During the 5 year journey, the Doctor's experimented on him, hurt him, abused him and turned him into something not quite human. He's not sure how he survived but knows he can't take much more.

When they finally arrive to Caeorleia, the doctors plan to release him along with Seral; an alien who's also been held captive. They h
Kristy Maitz
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After being told a great news that we will get a new book in the same series I could not help myself to re-read 1 book one more time, but now I chose audio format.

14. 02.2014 - 4 stars

Story plot is not unique and is full of holes and questions but still end result is more than satisfying.

Both main characters Ryker and Seral are very interesting individual and reading goes smoothly.
Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆
Extra star for audio.
Without the audio, idk if I would have made it. Not due to poor writing or anything, just the genre.
The narration was enjoyable, as was the story.
It started off really good. It took a fluffy bunny turn. Which, was okay. I just expected it to go a little gritty and dark. But it's okay, it was still good.

For it's genre, it is one of the better ones that I have read. I liked Seral and Ryker.
Fun book.

Leaundra
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good and there is just too much going on for me to explain everything(Plus there are people on here that do it much better) so just read it. I'm not a big SF reader so if I loved it and you're not sure, just go ahead and try it. It had lots of action but it also had romance. I really hope this isn't the end. I would give it more than 5 stars if I could.
Sandra
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves The Last Pure Human!
3.75 stars I love sci-fi romance. I love sexy aliens. I love it.

They started well with a first person POV from Ryker on the ship. We didn't have to witness any of his horrible abuse first hand, of which I am thankful, but we did get to hear him recount and/or think about some of it while still there and with his captors. This gives it more power and I felt a stronger connection with him, than if it was a flashback or memory sequence.

A couple chapters go by and I was on the edge of my seat hopin
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
This review can be found at The Blogger Girls review site.

For five years, Ryker has been experimented on to look like a Caeorleian, not to mention tortured and abused. When his transformation is complete, he's unwillingly sent onto the planet Caeorleia with the captured alien, Seral. Unfortunately, whatever the scientists did to him forced a bond between Ryker and Seral. He doesn't expect to live for long but Seral surprises him and before he knows it, he's created a life he never thought he'd h
GayListBookReviews
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!  I know that there are dark elements to the story and what Ryker goes through is seriously disturbingly wrong, but most of that is off the page having already happened. What we really have is a sweet love story set in a sci-fi alien futuristic world where everything is just a little different except the way that love takes over and makes anything possible.

Ryker is so damaged when we meet him.  Broken in body and, at first glance, spirit. We fear for him and his ability to survive. Then
Kristen Burns
3.5 Stars

Full Review:
*I received a free ecopy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

Even though I gave this 3.5 stars, I think this could easily rate higher for some people, depending on what you like.

The main issue I had was that it was questionable whether the feelings between the two men were real or just a product of the alien bonding thing that was forced onto them by the scientists. Or maybe it was more like a fated mate thing? Either way, it's just not a trope
Tais
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Что ж, несмотря на рейтинг, чуда не случилось. Не понимаю почему слэшным вампам так упорно не везет.

Мне нравятся сюжеты с пожизненными парами и инста-лав'ом. Я не против и возможности мпрега. А в эротических книжках готова прощать глупости и общую несерьезность.
Но чего я не выношу, так это, когда вместо мужчин мне предъявляют неадекватных девиц с членом. Постоянные слезы, смущение, покраснение, запинки, истерики, чувствительность, обиды на комментарий о внешности... Тестостерон, ау?

И это даже н
Gina
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, sci-fi, read-2014
4.3 stars!

This can't be the last! There must be a sequel. So many things still unsaid and need to be happened.

World building is very good, reminded me a little of Avatar for some reason, the writing is engaging.
Loved it!
Marsha Spence
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
This was fantastic! The world building and the characters had me completely engrossed. I would highly recommend this and I'll be reading more of this authors work; especially more in this series!!

7/2018
Audiobook: EXCELLENT!
Emma Sea
"I jerked spastically."

I'm guessing the author isn't from the Commonwealth.

Note to self: I'm sure I've read this when it was a freefic
Diane Dannenfeldt
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, si-fi, have-audio
I really enjoyed this book. I never saw the traitor coming & they would not have even hit my list, if I had to make one. I would have liked to have seen more of the world as they spent most of their time indoors.
Paul
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Sci-Fi, I really liked this, it was long but held my attention throughout.

It was dark and gritty to begin with but grew into an interesting plot. The MC's Ryker, a human desperate for work/money on a dying Earth, signs up to become part of an ecological bio-dome experiment for 5 years. Little does he know the pure hell the next 5 years of his life are about to become. Not only is there no dome but they're taken onboard a deep space research lab, experimented on but also tortured, raped re
Tamara (緑)
I didn't like this book as much as I thought I would, mostly because I had high expectations and was seriously underwhelmed.

As was mentioned in other reviews, this story had a distinct yaoi feel to it. There was too much stuff happening with very little substance to it. Opportunities with the world building were missed (so may of them!), and the relationship between the MCs was superficial and didn't convince me at all.
While reading the story I kept wondering - why?
(view spoiler)
Meggie
Yup, once again, I had a pleasure to listen The Experiment as an audiobook edition. Today is the release date for the third book in this fantastic series, and that's the reason I wanted to re-acquaint myself with Ryker and Seral, and of course with all the other secondary characters. Gread work!
2015/March/21 - 4 star rating
I was surprised to find this story as an audio-book, which was of course an automatic respond, to listen to it. I enjoyed it immensely, well done.
2014/February/17 - 4 star ra
Emma Sea
Kind of Blood Slave meets The Last Pure Human meets The Falcon Banner meets Companion.

It wasn't my thing: too soap opera, with its endless cast, poisonings, betrayals, factions, war, all sprinkled with gay sex (I'm good with the gay sex bit, obviously).

If you like long stories with lots of plot, and blood drinking, then you might like this.
Panalopy
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent! Really good m/m, sci-fi, space story. It had a very good balance between action and exposition, not too much of either one so the story flowed nicely. Interesting, likable characters and not too many made up(alien) words to keep track of. Very original, I hope there will possibly be more about this world.
Tiferet
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-cyberpunk
It starts not too impressive: all tell, no show, rushed to get to the first meeting of our protagonists. But then it gets better, and by the end of the book you're really invested in our sweet, fluffy couple. It would be a five star book if all of it was as fast paced and engaging as the second half (and maybe if the alien word got a bit better fleshed out).
Lily
I enjoyed this story although I was expecting something a bit grittier than this.
Sunshinewrinkley
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-alien, favorites, abuse
Enjoyed it more than I expected. I wish there was a sequel for Nicklaus and Fieo.
  • The Degan Incident (Galactic Conspiracies #1)
  • Details of the Hunt (Details, #1)
  • Alpha Trine (The Valespian Pact #1)
  • Iron Butterfly
  • Pathfinder
  • Reifu Rising
  • Turbulence (Turbulence #1)
  • Gravitational Attraction
  • Balancing Karma
  • Outcast Mine
  • Kidnapped (The Infinitum Government, #1)
  • Storms and Stars
  • Bone Rider
  • Where Willows Won't Grow
  • An Unauthorized Field Guide to the Hunt
  • Fragile Bond
  • All Wrapped Up
  • Alien 'n' Outlaw (Galactic Alliance #2)
Hi! I'm Alicia, also known as Cia. I'm a huge bookworm and I also write straight and gay fiction online under both names. I love to mix modern and paranormal worlds! When I'm not reading for pleasure or writing, I'm beta reading for my author friends, doing photography, or taking care of my very patient family! You can find links to all of my free online fiction through my blog.

You can find a lis
More about Alicia Nordwell

Saving Caeorleia (3 books)
  • Adverse Effects (Saving Caeorleia, #2)
  • Cosmic Inception (Saving Caeorleia, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)