Start by marking “Yell Less, Love More: How the Orange Rhino Mom Stopped Yelling at Her Kids - and How You Can Too!:” as Want to Read:

The Rhino: A naturally calm animal that charges when provoked.

The Orange Rhino: A person that parents with warmth and determination and who doesn't charge with words when angry, impatient, or simply in a bad mood.

Do you often find yourself losing your cool and yelling at your kids? It happens to us all, but it doesn't have to. With Yell Less, Love More you'll learn practic
Published November 1st 2014 by Fair Winds Press (first published September 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Yell Less, Love More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yell Less, Love More

Stacey
Mar 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read about this book in a newsletter (maybe Parade or something similar) and wanted to read it because I, like most other parents, occasionally yell at my kids. While I do not do the yelling that is sometimes described in this book (for example, I never swear at my kids or say anything demeaning to them when I yell--mine is more along the lines of "you need to STOP!" or "Hurry up, we're going to be late!!"), I always feel bad after I yell. Incidentally, I always apologize to my kids if I d ...more
Ali Murphy
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I have to be honest, I abandoned this book. I yell at my kids, I do. I yell because I am human and because sometimes people, even children need to be yelled at. That doesn't mean I don't want to improve, do better, love more... so I thought this book would help. The premise is a good one, but it is tedious, dull, and repetitive. I did find her yell-o-meter scale thinga-ma-bob useful, but the confessionals were overly fraught, and the rest you could get from the blog. I still gave the book three ...more
Brittany
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great tool with tons of creative ideas! I love the layout and would enjoy seeing more self-help/tool books that are laid out like this.
Erin
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is branded really well and visually very appealing. As far as content, the author mentions right from the start that you can read it how you want -- there's no right or wrong way. Read a tip a day, read the whole book in one day, read the personal stories, skip them.

I found the stories to be a little bit repetitive and drawn out. At first I liked them because they gave a sense of "I'm not the only one" but overall I think they were probably more therapeutic for the author to write, th
Catherine
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Overall it was a great daily reminder to work towards yelling less. Some suggestions and ideas were a little goofy but the overall idea of the book was a great reminder for me each day!
Bird
I guess I'm a bit of a yeller, but not nearly as much as the author was before she started her Orange Rhino Challenge. So some of this book wasn't applicable. But her stories and advice did resonate with me for the most part, and some of the tips I hadn't heard before (even though I gobble down a good number of parenting books every year).
Maryalene
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
I abandoned this one. As other reviewers have mentioned, this reads like a personal journal more than anything. I'm glad the author found something that worked for her, but the idea of the Orange Rhino never really clicked for me. On the bright side, my daughter saw the book and said I didn't need to read it. Apparently, I don't yell as much I think. Apparently, I'm downright "chill." ;-)
Stephanie
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
More of a book of quick tools and actions, nothing too in depth but easy to apply and very realistic and attainable for any mom
Pamela
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didnt-finish
It helped me kick start what I needed to know but didn’t feel like I wanted to spend more time as it is more of a workbook.
Molly
Dec 31, 2015 added it
Shelves: parenthood
I started to read this when I was in the muck of it, would read a bit at a time, but sometimes when you are overloaded in a completely disconnected way (read: depressive episode), simply breathing in a particular way or even doing the unrecommended, yelling into the toilet (which, you know, goes against the yelling less thing)--it doesn't work. I say this because I recognize there are moments when are psyches are completely off-kilter and one simply needs to survive and get to the other side.

Whi
Krazybooklady
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. It is broken down into a 30 day guide. Each day includes a personal story from the author about her own journey and challenges to stop yelling, tips to help you stop yelling, actions to take to help you on your own journey, "Orange Rhino Revelations," plus inspirational quotes. This book is totally written as if the author, Sheila McCraith, is writing directly to the reader and is right there trying to help you. At the end of the book, there is "Beyond Day 30" and a ...more
Lori
Jul 31, 2015 rated it liked it
There were some funny stories and definitely a few good ideas and methods for being a less angry and frustrated parent to young kids. But there were almost too many ideas. Some of them start to feel rather thin on the usefulness and/or standard advice. Additionally – and I recognize this is my issue rather than the author's – I just got tired of hearing about the numerous challenges she had with her kids. I think all 4 of them (and herself) have some sort of disorder. It started to make me feel ...more
The Yearling House
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting-books
Do you lose your patience with your child? Has it becomes instinct to just raise your voice to get heard? If so, this book is for you.
When to read: Since the hardest ages to get through are around 2-4, might be a good idea to read just before the kid turns 2. This will help mentally prep you for the road ahead.

The book has a nice story, the author's personal story and it really gives that reassurance that you are not alone and that every parent can stop yelling! Just reading the first couple c
Shell
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-books
This is such a great guide for any parent who wants to learn to stop yelling at their kids. And by yelling, I mean actual screaming(we all still have to correct them, but not at a scream). You can sit and read the book all in one sitting or you can read each day's section over the course of 30 days. It will help you understand your triggers and what to do about them. There are tips provided about other things you can do to keep yourself from yelling.

*I was sent an ARC of this book, but I would
Jessica
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It seems appropriate that out of the 30 days of techniques in this book, while I was reading day 28 my three year old didn't want to eat his cereal and spilled it all over the book. I literally could have cried (or yelled) over spilled milk! But not while reading this!!
Obviously I haven't had the extreme yelling problems as the author, but I found the book to have great technique for self-control in general. An overall great reminder that our kids should be our most important portent audience a
Michael
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this in tandem with No Drama Discipline and found them to be a great pair. Yell Less Love More (YLLM) provided an incredibly practical and honest approach to the challenges of parenting. The circumstances of the author's family - four boys in five years; boys with special needs - spoke to our own situation in a way that removed any excuses for not following through or doubts about whether this could truly work. This book has been inspiring. I made it to Day 31 my first time out. Today, I' ...more
Lisa
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found this book at just the right time. I found myself yelling more than I should have been and also felt very guilty and a terrible Mother. The book made me feel like I was not alone and that somebody else was going through the same issues and in the same boat as me. The book is a wonderful parenting book that made me really think and put things into better perspective. It was well written, as if a good friend is talking to you. I loved the examples Sheila gave. I found myself yelling less, t ...more
Charisse VanDerwerken
I read this book in conjunction with my goal to stop yelling. I knew that I didn't have any good reason to ever get so upset and such a young child and that I needed to get things under control. This book was just what I needed! Sheila helped me identify my triggers (mealtime, bedtime, being late, the house is messy) and deal with, if not eliminate them. I am certainly not perfect now but it is amazing how much I have improved. It's been a year since I read this book and I'm so glad I did!
Marshan Alma
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book with successful ideas of how to stop yelling at your children. Although not written from a Christian perspective, it still gave a ton of tips and encouragement on how to change. The only disappointment that I found in the book was that the author occasionally cussed. (Hence the 4 instead of 5 stars.) That being said, I would still recommend this book to any parent.

And PS: I LOVE the color ORANGE !!!!!
Linda
Apr 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I appreciate the author's willingness to share the sometimes shameful behavior of yelling at kids. It is a welcomed resource for a parent who is seeking a community of other parents who struggle with perfection and control (don't we all!) and accepting that our behaviors (bad) become the memory not the offensive act our kids are doing (normal kids). I skimmed this booked and enjoyed pieces here and there. It is very "branded" and is based on author's blog.
Aja Hannah
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that I will come back to when I have kids. It takes the pressure off the idea of being a perfect mom 100% of the time. Sheila McCraith doesn't expect you to stop yelling completely. She's realistic about goals, setting up color-coded maps that actually give you concise tips depending on your mood. The tables of tips are great breaks from the usual parent-books that have paragraph after paragraph of text.
Kate Puleo Unger
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is great for anyone who wants to learn to yell less. The daily chapters make it easy to read and provide step by step instructions to help you set and reach a goal of yelling less and loving more. I have gone through it once but will definitely be reviewing it again and again to help me remember that yelling doesn't help and my son deserves better!
Jamie
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good points

When I saw that the author had four boys, I knew I was going to relate to this book. Boys are loud and wild and crazy!! Sometimes I feel like I have to yell in order for them to hear me.
The author told many personal stories to go along with her tips to stop yelling and to love more.
Kathryn
This book was okay. I read it slowly over the course of several months, but it really did not do much for me. It just was not realistic to me. Great ideas, but doesn't work without the proper support.
Helena
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, parenting
Great advice on how to yell at your kids less, particularly when it comes to identifying and dealing with the things that trigger you to yell. I found it helpful and will probably end up buying my own copy so I have it on hand to refer to, as the library is going to want theirs back. :)
Miss Nicole
Feb 20, 2016 marked it as dnf
Shelves: owned
This was not what I thought it was going to be. In hindsight, I don't really yell that much, so I'll just put this away.
Christi
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really want to be an Orange Rhino. Going to try.
Michelle Grindstaff
2015 Reading Challenge: A book with antonyms in the title
Ayelet
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I like that she gives you examples from real life, not just theories. I also like that it is not overly religious like many of the other parenting books out there.
Candy
Mar 04, 2015 rated it liked it
It was a good read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Raising Girls
  • Ain't Misbehavin': Tactics for Tantrums, Meltdowns, Bedtime Blues and Other Perfectly Normal Kid Behaviors
  • Superbaby: 12 Ways to Give Your Child a Head Start in the First 3 Years
  • Discipline without Damage: How to Get Your Kids to Behave Without Messing Them Up
  • The Milk Memos: How Real Moms Learned to Mix Business with Babies-and How You Can, Too
  • Unplugged Play: No Batteries. No Plugs. Pure Fun.
  • Born Reading: Bringing Up Bookworms in a Digital Age -- From Picture Books to eBooks and Everything in Between
  • Raising Bookworms: Getting Kids Reading for Pleasure and Empowerment
  • Positive Discipline: The First Three Years: From Infant to Toddler--Laying the Foundation for Raising a Capable, Confident Child
  • Growing Up Again: Parenting Ourselves, Parenting Our Children
  • The Book of New Family Traditions: How to Create Great Rituals for Holidays and Every Day
  • Raising a Thinking Child
  • Be the Parent, Please: Stop Banning Seesaws and Start Banning Snapchat: Strategies for Solving the Real Parenting Problems
  • Baby Play: 100 Fun-Filled Activities to Maximize Your Baby's Potential
  • Cooking for Baby: Wholesome, Homemade, Delicious Foods for 6 to 18 Months
  • Raising Baby Green: The Earth-Friendly Guide to Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Baby Care
  • The Newbie's Guide to Positive Parenting
  • Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids: How to Stop Yelling and Start Connecting
“The words of the tongue should have three gatekeepers: is it true, is it kind, is it necessary?” 1 likes
“so; I love helping others. I just don’t love being helped. For some reason it makes me feel embarrassed, nervous, and weak. I worry that I will be judged as a “not good enough mom” if I can’t do it all on my own when so many others seem to be doing it so gracefully. I worry that people will think, “Why did she have so many kids if she can’t do it on her own?” or “Why does she accept help when she is too busy to give back as much? That’s so selfish of her.” I couldn’t do it all, but what I could do was swallow my pride and realize that asking for help wasn’t a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength.” 0 likes