Start by marking “Runaways: The Complete Collection, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Runaways: The Complete Collection, Vol. 1

Runaways: The Complete Collection, Vol. 1

(Runaways: The Complete Collection #1)

They were six normal teenagers linked only by their wealthy parents' annual business meeting…until a chance discovery revealed the shocking truth: their parents are the secret criminal society known as the Pride! For years, the Pride controlled of Los Angeles' criminal activity, ruling the city with an iron fist…and now, with their true natures exposed, the Pride will take ...more
Published July 30th 2014 by Marvel (first published February 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Runaways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaways

Chad
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Marvel collects the entire first series in this run. The Runaways are a group of kids who witness their parents murder someone. After they go on the run, they realize their parents are much more than they appear. As they discover more about their parents, they all power up as well, until they must take on the Pride once and for all. I like how self-contained this is. Vaughan answers every question he raises. It has this great new vs. old generation vibe to it. Vaughan's dialogue crackles and pop ...more
Patrick
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best comic series I've ever read. Bar none.
Becca
I always knew I'd like comic books (I really enjoy serialized entertainment; it's why I prefer TV to movies: the long story arcs, the fully developed characters, etc), but I have been hesitant to try them because comic book communities seem so daunting and insular. X-Men has always been a comic series that intrigued me, but at this point there are like six million issues. How do I know where to start? But, with this comic book being so recent and so handily packaged in bound volumes and being av ...more
Melissa
This is great! It sort of makes me sad, since I've had it sitting on my to-read pile for over 9 weeks & I was planning on just letting it go without reading it for some reason, but it's so spectacular it makes me depressed to think of all the other stuff that just sits there & sits there that I never end up reading and even though I know the odds are against all of that stuff being equally as awesome - still. The never-ending quest to read All The Good Stuff.

Anyway, this book sort of rea
Kate (GirlReading)
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was so much fun! The characters, the relationships, the stakes, the powers, the action, the pacing, all of it. It was a totally entertaining and utterly additive read. My only disappointment came from some of the dialogue. Its use of ableist slurs and body shaming being just some examples how the languages used definitely didn’t pass the test of time. That being said, overall I thoroughly enjoyed this reading experience but it was definitely tainted by the microagressions and dodgy language ...more
Anne
Nov 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good stuff! I like the way they came up with an entirely new group of superheroes and still managed to mix in a few cameo scenes with older Marvel characters like Captain America.
Can't wait to read the next volume!
Krista Regester
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Runaways is not your average superhero graphic. Anytime I see a marvel character I usually run the other way, but this has me intrigued! It is just the right amount of action, drama, teen angst, "love", and just 1% Captain America.
Chris
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel
Six children run away from home when they discover their parents are a secret super villain group known as The Pride. The discovery of their own weapons and powers allows them to plan a rebellion against their evil elders. Brian K. Vaughan is the writer so you know you're in for a great read from the start. The loveable team of Alex, Chase, Nico, Molly, Karolina, Gert and her pet velociraptor(!) provide plenty of laughs and memorable quotes. Runaways is one of those ridiculously enjoyable books ...more
Rory Wilding
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the past ten years, the Marvel Cinematic Universe has been through movies, television and numerous streaming services, taking cue from the pages of Marvel Comics ranking from the iconic to the obscure. Amongst them, is Runaways by Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona, which is now adapted as a web television series created for Hulu. So, whilst the show is currently airing, about time I revisit the first Marvel comics run I ever collected.

Centring on a group of six kids whose parents routinely
Noetic_Hatter
Great stuff. Love these kids -- I even came to like Chase, which shocked me. They're well-written and believable. (and I have to remember that their pop-culture references are 10 years old already!) Great moment when they get called "Power Pack", and it was lovely to see Cloak and Dagger again [damn, that little Molly is strong] -- and to see Dagger both get called out for her costume and to get pissed off when she is called "Dazzler" by one of the kids.

Artwork was kind of crap in the first arc,
Robin Stevens
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable (and surprisingly contained - the whole story is in this volume) story about six teens who discover that their parents are supervillains. I liked it a lot, even though quite a lot of the humour has aged badly, and there are a lot of moments that just wouldn't make it into a comic in 2018. (12+)

unknown
It was a "meh" in 2012 and it's a "meh" now. Not my favorite BKV by a country mile.
Clarissa
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I loved this!

Sure, every teenager thinks their parents are evil, but what if they actually are? Like, you just watched them perform a ritual where they sacrificed a girl evil? Well, that's exactly what Alex, Nico, Karolina, Gertrude, Chase, and Molly have to deal with now. So what do they do? What any teenager who can't go to the police would do in their situation. Get the hell out of dodge!

And it just escalates from there. I absolutely adore Molly! Really appreciated that nod to "Arsenic
Katie
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is so well-done! Worthy of the hype, though the art is a bit too “of its time” for me. Can’t wait to read the new rendition.
Sesana
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhumans, comics
The deluxe edition has the complete first series of Runaways, 18 issues in all. It's a complete storyline, beginning to end. We start with six teens (and one preteen) discovering that they're parents are actually very powerful supervillains, and running away as an act of rebellion. Eventually, we get to the confrontation that we all knew was inevitable. The first six issues, which deal with the initial act of running away, was a really strong opening to the series. The last six issues, which cov ...more
Mia
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
What happens when you discover your parents are actually evil supervillains?

Brian K Vaughan's PG Marvel comic is all kinds of fun! Starts off kind of average, but takes the time to properly develop each of the characters and really build an engrossing and action-packed story. Overtly set in the Marvel universe, the comic regularly references the heroes we all know and love, plus the X-Mansion gets a shout-out, and there is a great cameo of one of the better known Marvel heroes. Is it just me, or
Desiree
This was pretty good. I much prefer when comics have a coherent storyline like this one did.

I have to say, though, I do think the show does a much better job of portraying the characters as three-dimensional and not so stereotypical. I think the comic gets a bit cheesy as opposed to the show, but I mean that's hard to avoid. It's a superhero comic after all. I can't say I'm very attached to the comic book versions of the characters - and I was even feeling sympathetic toward Chase in the show.

I
Mandy
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was the first series I read with Marvel Unlimited and all I can say is WOW. I totally understand why people love this series. It's smart, beautifully illustrated, and took turns I didn't expect. I can't wait to read even more Runaways.
Yannik Gordon
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I read this not just because my dad recommended it but because of the TV show
Brendan
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
The big volume finally came to an end. I enjoyed the mythology and artwork here but also found The Pride never gained any traction to be really villainous. The twist got me, I must admit the signs were probably there but I kept forgetting one of the Runaways was secretly a bad guy. The characters were very on the money in my opinion, not heavily white washed or conventional, very individual and focused. The biggest problem I had with the characters were the parents, the writers kept the humour a ...more
Lola
Nov 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
DC superheroes have capes, while Marvel characters have psychic dinosaurs. I mean please, I think that just proves my argument right there. For any and all of you comic book lovers, this is a wonderful read, and it just keeps going. Two more volumes, plus a guest appearance in Daken Dark Wolverine that I just had to get. I would even recommend this to people who have yet to get into comics. In this first volume, we follow these five kids, each uncovering more about themselves and their parents a ...more
Michael
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fun stuff, if not ultimately as interesting as Y: The Last Man or Saga. But then, it's not supposed to be, is it? It was designed by BK Vaughn to be for a younger readership during an era when comics are increasingly grappling with adult issues in more adult ways (more sex, violence, cursing, and so forth). So it makes sense that this would be less intense, less adult, the sort of thing that you could comfortably hand to an eleven-year-old without worrying over content.

So: A lot of fun. Though d
Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈
Loved this!

My only intro to the Runaways was their tie ins to the original Civil War arc. I loved them then and I loved them here as well!

I couldn't stop reading and that's saying something for a book about teenagers. I'm adopting Molly as well because she's adorable!

I'm kinda bummed out at who was revealed to be the mole. I mean, after 2005's run of YA, I'm still upset when the kid that looks the most like me turns out to be dishonest/evil.

Loved the interlude with Cloak and Dagger. They're se
Jamie
Apr 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-ya
This was an interesting and entertaining comic, especially when you consider the underlying premise, but I don't really have a desire to continue the series in any later form. All of the classic superhero references and appearances were lost on me, so people who know those stories will probably get a lot more from this than I did.
Mom2triplets04
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Graphic novel bind up of the first 18 chapters. It's about 6 teenagers who find out that their parents are super villains. Along the way they also discover they each have super powers. It's a great story about friendship, revenge and lots of twists and turns. Highly recommend you read.
Melissa
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lots of fun, really enjoyed the Brian Vaughn story with Adrian Alphona art (two issues had a different artist and definitely didn't enjoy the art as much in those two). Great mix of super-whatevers with aliens, mutants, time-travelers, sorcerers, mad geniuses, etc.

Arsenic and Old Lace, hah!
Allison
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
I loved this so much! What a fun story.
Graziella
When presented with this from my birthday wish-list, husband said: "you have the cultural tastes of a 15 year old boy". Yeah - cause it's way more fun than reading Rebecca Wells.
Nikki
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I love this comic series so much! I can see why Joss Whedon was a supporter from the beginning (and later, a contributor). It's fun, punchy, and the characters jump off the page.
Kirra
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Runaways begins with another annual get-together of wealthy, charitable adults and their children. The children loathe having to get together and hang out for a couple hours while their parents lock themselves in another room. They're sick of being in the dark so this year Alex decides they should see what they're up to and shows everyone the secret passageway to spy on their parents. Then when they do stand on the other side of the mirror and look in they see a monstrous
Bibliophiles of L...: May - Runaways Deluxe, Vol. 1 2 4 May 25, 2016 04:21PM

• Invincible: Ultimate Collection, Vol. 4
  • Runaways, Vol. 9: Dead Wrong
  • Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, Volume 1
  • X-Factor, Vol. 1: The Longest Night
  • Morning Glories, Vol. 3: P.E.
  • Alias, Vol. 1 Omnibus
  • Annihilation: Conquest, Book One
  • Runaways, Vol. 11: Homeschooling
  • Journey into Mystery: The Terrorism Myth
  • Captain America: The Death Of Captain America, Volume 3: The Man Who Bought America
Brian K. Vaughan is the writer and co-creator of comic-book series including SAGA, PAPER GIRLS, Y THE LAST MAN, RUNAWAYS, and most recently, BARRIER, a digital comic with artist Marcos Martin about immigration, available from their pay-what-you-want site www.PanelSyndicate.com

BKV's work has been recognized at the Eisner, Harvey, Hugo, Shuster, Eagle, and British Fantasy Awards. He sometimes writes

Runaways: The Complete Collection (4 books)
  • Runaways Deluxe, Vol. 2