Start by marking “Awkward Moments Children's Bible, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Awkward Moments Children's Bible, Vol. 1

Awkward Moments Children's Bible, Vol. 1

#1 Amazon Bestseller - First Day Online!
What began as a private online joke among interfaith friends quickly skyrocketed to meet the demands of the thousands of fans and critics of the controversial work. Within hours, the book became the #1 Bestseller in Amazon.com's Humor & Religion category! Combining actual Bible verses with more than 30 whimsical original illustratio
Published October 10th 2013 by Awkward Moments

To ask other readers questions about Awkward Moments Children's Bible, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awkward Moments Children's Bible, Vol. 1

Start your review of Awkward Moments Children's Bible, Vol. 1
Scott Sheperdson
Brilliant! I can't say enough good things about this book. From the truly amazing artwork to the very accessible commentaries, I can't think of another project that will challenge readers to think critically about their thoughts on the Bible.

I have seen some pretty angry reviews over on Amazon from people who haven't actually seen the book (just the illustrations), so I think it is important to point out that while the illustrations lend to the "charm" of this book, almost all of them are clear
Dave Shepherd
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible, christianity
As a Christian, I was pretty skeptical at first, thinking this was just going to be another angry atheist expose of some sort. I was ready for a fight. In reality, it is a pretty challenging read. Not in its use of big words, but in its ability to challenge the status quo of Biblical illiteracy. At first, I was pretty annoyed with one particular illustration. In reality, it is now my favorite as it helped me realize I was being pretty myopic about who Jesus was. The only thing I hate about this ...more
Denise
Hilariously awkward bible moments and nicely done artwork. Those easily offended pluck out your eyes, or don't read the book. Not for children.
Pat Wilson
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unique, engaging, challenging, and smart! The first one of these I saw was the "poke" at creationists with the livestock mating in front of striped trees (to get striped offspring). I couldn't stop laughing! The second one I saw online was the modern-day retelling of a young virgin, raped and forced to marry her attacker.

This book might seem silly, but it is profoundly powerful - especially if you take the time to read the commentaries and understand the importance in modern culture. This is NO
Tiffany
Alright, first some good things: I loved the illustrations. They're hilarious. At first they appear to be just the normal, brightly colored pictures you'd find in any children's book... and then you realize you're looking at Adam sprawled out in a bathtub on a bed of ice, surrounded by bloody towels. That Moses is standing on the Ark with a martini. That there's a demon-pig falling off a cliff with smoke streaming from its nostrils.

I learned some things, too. I was already familiar with the horr
John Michael Strubhart
A Thoughtful Expose Of An Atrocious Book

It's good to examine the justifications for any belief that you have. If The Holy Bible is your justification for your religious beliefs, try actually reading it critically from an outsider's point of view. If you're a reasonable person, you will - at the very least - be quite troubled at what it says. Don't give me the song and dance about having to study it under "proper supervision" either. You have a brain. Use it.
Sara
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't wait for volume 2!
Dave Sippel
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twisted and offensive or twisted and hilarious? Depends on who you ask. We are all familiar with the commonly known Biblical stories and quotes, but there is plenty in the Good Book that is less often talked about.

1. Forty two young boys torn apart by bears after they insult a prophet by calling him "baldy." Check.
2. God tried to kill Moses but changed his mind after Zipporah rubbed their son's bloody foreskin on her husband's feet. Check.
3. It is "disgraceful" for a woman to speak while in chu
Carl Fischer
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like satire -- especially when it makes people uncomfortable by challenging long or deeply held beliefs. This book is dry and biting satire about biblical stories many of us learned as children, captured in the format of a "Children's Bible." Note the title includes the language Not Found in Your Average. It's not appropriate for young kids -- but then again, neither is the original. The illustrations are cute but violent and graphic. The content focuses on all the atrocities my church glossed ...more
Dang
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The artwork is wonderfully reminiscent of religious works I saw as a child. The beauty of the book is that it shows parts of The Bible that many adults never get around to reading. I wouldn't be surprised if many would deny they are even in The Bible, which just goes to show that there are many believers who haven't read, or absorbed, the book in its entirety. However, this book isn't about cherry picking. The verses are consistent with, and highlight, the entire chapter from which they are take ...more
Shelli Black Rose
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: atheists, christians
I got this book when the Kindle version was offered for free. It's not such an easy read on the Kindle; there's an awful lot of bouncing back and forth between the "front" and "back" of the book. Took a while to get the hang of it. It's worth it to browse through the entire book once, before trying to read it as it's meant to be read in the paper version.

Aside from the Kindle problem, this is actually a very good book. Very informative with excellent sources. The drawings were both funny and poi
Dustin
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Utterly brilliant!

It's as though Gilgamesh & Tickheathen were reading my mind as I read through the Bible. So many WTF moments that have been passed down and translated and re-translated were presented perfectly here with the new modern translation by Gilgamesh and incredible illustrations by Tickheathen.

I will keep this out on my coffee table for everyone to enjoy, and I look forward to volume 2.
Thor Stambaugh
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally

The hardest thing to discuss with Christians is their own ignorance of the bible. Here we have a wonderful series of biblical quotes and stories that speak powerfully as to contradictions.foolishness.and downright idiocy. The apologists cannot stretch or twist the meaning and must simply ignore it or lie about it. Simply written and illustrated even a child or a mentally deficient person can understand the points.
Nicole
Jun 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so conflicted on this billion

Irreverent. Funny. Heretical. Thought provoking. Terrifying. Illustrated. Bloody. Minimizing. Clever. Valid. Interesting. Tricky.
I'm still not sure. But I will be going to my Bible and doing some research
Greg
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW, what a book!!! A quick, fun and colourful way to learn more about the bible, the Abrahamic god and Jesus than you would from decades of going to church. I look forward to volume 2.
Spencer
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very funny and entertaining look at the more awkward moments in the bible with some brilliant illustrations, some of which I will now look to see if I can get them as prints!
Shecola
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!

I loved everything about this book..... A great book about bible facts. I enjoyed all the jokes and illustrations. Nicely done
Rachel
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More!

I would have given it five stars but I wanted more! I will now go read the second book and hope for a full series.
Fox Bragg
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
why am i an atheist, this book can give some insight
Bjoern
VBergen
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny
The book is a collection of Bible verses (paragraphed), illustrated, and with some comments. The drawings are a little gory but beautiful with brilliant colors. I found in this book what I was looking for after listening how my girl was told the Noah's ark story depicted with a nice rainbow and smiling animals at the end of the story.

As the author says at the end:
"What really bothers us is when authors and publishers completely rewrite scripture for children's Bibles. In doing so, they often alt
Andrew
Some funny ones to be sure, and here is the simple forewarning: this book, if you're going to use it in an argumentative way, is only relevant when dealing with biblical literalists. Those who are interpretive, who don't make the Bible the sole source of their Christian spirituality, and most Jews would look at this and say yeah, but you're not really getting it, are you? But if you can let go of that, and not worry about atheism vs. belief, blah blah blah, it's a funny book.
David
Since the mid 1960s, millions of "Arch" books (cartoon illustrated children's bible stories) have been sold (Concordia Publishing of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod). This was my primary way of learning Bible stories when I was young. Horus Gilgamesh has written a similarly-styled cartoon book of Bible passages, but featuring passages that are specifically not children friendly. I like volume 2 a bit better than this first volume.
Krystle
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually read the entire book due to someone uploading the whole of its entirety onto a thread on Reddit. It's been deleted now but you can still find pictures of it if you search Google images.

Totally funny in a literal, dark-humor type of way. Haha. The illustrations was what made it win. L0Lz. I'd say this was pretty good stuff for a self-published book (I wonder why, heh).
Kimme
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. As a child I found many stories from the Bible to be scary. I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one to notice that God is not a kind and benevolent father. Setting your children up to fail is not a characteristic of a good parent. Thank you, Horus, for looking deeper into the Bible and not accepting the rainbows and unicorns fluff. Oh wait, unicorns would be Ken Ham.
M
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious and awkward. Fun to compare to the original text. And the end of the book has qr codes to take you to their website which provides more information on the verses illustrated and their historical context.
Isabelle
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Great illustrations! Wonderful idea and just loved every bit of this book! And the best part is that it is all from straight from the source! There is no talking down it is just right in front of you. No escaping or skipping over the horrible parts with this book!
Mike Meathook
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is a silly book, and made to make fun of only the craziest of fundamentalists, so as not to be just poking fun at people who believe in God. the illustrator is very talented. definitely worth a read, whether you be a Christian, atheist, or otherwise.
Richard Bruning
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion-not
Very entertaining and somewhat disturbing> Seeing actual Bible passages literally depicted in a children's book style makes you wonder how it was ever a good thing to teach these Bible stories to children, in ANY fashion. ...more
Savana Bishop
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome Sauce

it was so great, tales the not so...acceptable parts of the bible and brings them to light. shows quite well the hypocrisy of this supposedly holy book.

• How to Stop Feeling Like Sh*t: 14 Habits that Are Holding You Back from Happiness
  • How to Live with a Huge Penis: Advice, Meditations, and Wisdom for Men Who Have Too Much
  • Dancing with Jesus: Featuring a Host of Miraculous Moves
  • A Practical Guide to Racism
  • The American Association of Patriots Presents: How to Talk to Your Cat About Gun Safety
  • Go the F**k to Sleep
  • Cicada
  • The Merciless II: The Exorcism of Sofia Flores (The Merciless, #2)
  • Thin Ice (Alaska Wild Mysteries #1)
  • Juniper: The Happiest Fox
  • When Aidan Became A Brother
  • Badger to the Bone (Honey Badger Chronicles, #3)
  • It Feels Good to Be Yourself: A Book About Gender Identity
  • Retrain Your Brain: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in 7 Weeks: A Workbook for Managing Depression and Anxiety
  • Politically Correct Bedtime Stories
  • Savages (Savages #2)
  • Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away (Star Wars Book, Movie Accompaniment, Book about Movies)
  • The Basic Genealogy Checklist: 101 Tips & Tactics To Find Your Family History
HORUS GILGAMESH was raised Catholic before being “born again” in college when he began following a calling toward full-time ministry. Early on, his efforts were focused on youth evangelism and Biblical literacy around the world. When he was on a missions trip to Africa, a fearless young boy approached, pleading, “Chakula? Maji?“- the Swahili words for “food” and “water.” Unfortunately, Horus had n ...more

News & Interviews