Start by marking “A Child's Anthology of Poetry” as Want to Read:
A Child's Anthology of Poetry

A Child's Anthology of Poetry

Finally in paperback, a timeless collection celebrating the joys of poetry for children of all ages—an indispensable introduction to literature and life that brings together essential classic children's poems with the best of modern and contemporary international poetry.

The simple pleasures of reading and listening to poetry can make unforgettable memories in childhood and
Published October 28th 1995 by Ecco (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about A Child's Anthology of Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Child's Anthology of Poetry

Start your review of A Child's Anthology of Poetry
Jessica Blevins
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved reading this book with my daughter. The best part...after reading poems by Poe, Blake, Bishop, Plath, Frost, Brooks, Hughes, Dickinson, cummings, Wordsworth, Keats, Angelou, Paz and many more...my daughter was inspired to write some poetry of her very own :)
John
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-alouds
I read this out loud to my kids over the course of a few years. Like every anthology, it was an up and down experience, but mostly very good.

There are a lot of classic poems that everyone should have some familiarity, and others were just plain fun. My kids would always ask that I read "Little Orphant Annie"--by far their favorite in the collection.
Emrys
Apr 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I have never been a fan of poetry, and have never read more than the occasional poem of personal choice. I have these past few months though been thrown into it as poetry caretaker in my bookstore, and decided to attack it like a ripe pineapple in honor of April being poetry month. I am more proud than I have any to right to be, to have finished an anthology of hundreds of poems. Now with that out of the way:
This is clearly an anthology for older children. Ten and up I would say, if I was
Marisa Bennett
Mar 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book of Children's poems I have ever owned. I not only purchased a copy for myself to read (and to read to my grandchildren), but bought copies for three of my best friends. It has the delightful assumption that children are intelligent creatures and so can understand poets like: Robert Frost, Emily Dickinson, and Carl Sandburg (Fog: The fog comes in on little cat feet. It sits looking over harbor and city on silent haunches and then moves on.)
"Fog" was the first poem read to me
Camille
Jul 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite poetry anthology. I pretty much like every poem in the book.
Dianna
I have read completely through this book twice now with my boys. My youngest son and I are just now finishing this poetry book up. I read this with them when they were middle school aged. We used Youtube to supplement with videos of the poets reading their poetry at times. We also looked up any strange vocabulary in order to understand the poems. We used each poem as a way to launch a journey of learning. I must say that I enjoyed some of these poems much more the second time I went through the ...more
Sue-Lynn Voigt
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great anthology! I have not taken the time to read poetry in many years. This was a great collection, some I was familiar with and some not! Many authors I knew, but was also introduced to several I had never heard of. I think I shall seek out some more of their work. A great read for children, although it is not illustrated.
Nicole Perkins
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
My little guy and I have been reading poetry as he goes to bed at night. Very good selection of silly, profound, and beautiful poems.
Perry
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the collection of poems in this book. Many classic poets that had introduced me to poetry at a young age. I recall renting this book from my elementary school library when I was in grade 3 mostly because I never really knew much about poetry and what made it different from any other form of writing. I never fully understood every nuance to the language but it introduced me to the ability of poetry to illicit the imagination and develop my own understanding of the words. I think this was ...more
Alyiah.Watson
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hannah Jane
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Includes classics like Field's Wynken, Blynken, and Nod and Frost's Dust of Snow. Also includes a few poems I don't see too often in anthologies like Jarrell's Bats and Kilmer's The House with Nobody in It. This is a unique anthology because there's something for every age group. It ranges from poems for the very young (Wynken, Blynken, and Nod) to very mature poems (Langston Hughes' Mother to Son).
Kelly
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
It's difficult to denounce a book that contains poems by Poe and Dickinson (as well as countless others such as Carrol and Longfellow). That being said, the poem selections for this anthology may be just out of reach in terms of vocabulary and subject matter for younger readers.

There are many high quality inclusions here, including Frost's 'The Road Not Taken' and 'The Highwayman' by Noyes. It is difficult to mention all the quality poetry in this anthology, so it is almost easier not to
Jeana
Sep 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Some of my favorite poems in here are Maggie and Millie and Molly and May by E. E. Cummings, The Pit Ponies by Leslie Norris, The Bed Book by Sylvia Plath (and I know this is a children's book but it's so dang expensive because they haven't released a new version of it in a while that I can't afford to buy it), among others. It even has the Highway Man (I think) and other poems that maybe aren't exactly geared toward children, but I think they could appreciate anyway. I like this compilation of ...more
Brianna Harmon (Faith + Fern)
Spent the last two days sort of gently pawing thru these - and discovered both classics I could read over and over and a few new favorites. Even if you don't intend to share with a child, a quick browse felt good to my 25 year old heart. Some of the pages I marked: The Village Blacksmith by Longfellow, Hold Fast Your Dreams by Driscoll, Swift Things Are Beautiful by Coatsworth and many more.
Beckabooks
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it

Many children might not fully appreciate this volume. It is not what one has come to expect a child’s book of poems to be: miniaturized and colorful and playful in tone. There are only a very few simple pen and ink illustrations in this anthology, which fits comfortably in an adult’s hands and bookshelves.

Nor are the contents the standard fare for a book of this nature. Some of the often-anthologized-favorites-for-children are here, to be sure: ‘Be kind and tender to the Frog’ and ‘Hope is the
Rebekah Choat
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned

Anne-Marie
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone!
Recommended to Anne-Marie by: my dear mother
Enchanting! I can't believe I didn't used to like poetry. I think it's because for awhile the only poetry I was exposed to was the pretentious stuff you find in the New Yorker. But this book made me an unabashed lover of poetry, and now I've found a number of poets whose work I plan to read more of. (Isn't that horrible? I just ended a sentence with a preposition. I don't feel like going through some sort of grammatical mental jujitsu right now to figure out the proper way to phrase that last ...more
Candice Walton
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
My 9 and 7 year old and I read this cover to cover. It was a great collection, but there were definitely two or three poems that I wouldn’t have included in a child’s anthology (topics included suicide and graphic death). Overall we really enjoyed it.
Cathleen Ash
"Do you carrot all for me?" an anonymous poem early in the book, set the delightful tone: food and love, and continues later with animal crackers by Chris Morley. Many great poets are represented in this often ludicrous, alphabetical by author, poetry anthology. These poems are geared specifically toward children. While it may not be a book young adults read through (311 pages!), it is a wondeful addition to the shelf for thumbing through and enjoying.
Sarah Welton-Lair
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 8+
Recommended to Sarah by: Sonlight
While this isn't the most beautiful poetry book I've ever read, it does provide a comprehensive list of some really great poetry, from famous ones to the more obscure. Some of the poems were funny, some poignant - I actually used two of them in a poetry explication essay. But there are no extra tidbits such as illustrations or backgrounds on the authors to go along with the poems, and so at times it can feel a little boring.
Noah
Dec 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
This book is about a bunch of diffrent stories that are not really funny but they do ryme and aslong as they ryme thats what makes them poems.

This book was good but not that good the poems werent funny but they were still good but if your like me and you read poems because they are funny well then DONT READ THIS BOOK.

I would reccomend this book to people who like poems and to people who like to find the meaning of poems.
Joanna M.
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it

It really is difficult to rate a collaboration of works, considering they are filled with individual works that deserve their own individual reviews. But, in regard to the editor of the book, there was a pleasant collection of poems that I found, for the most part, rather enjoyable. Some, not as much. But, overall, this was a nice collection.
Emily
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This says its a poetry anthology for children, but really it should say for the An Anthology of Poetry for the Child in Everyone. It's a well chosen collection of popular and not-as-well-known pieces. You will find old favourites and new favourites alike within these covers. It is a highly recommended read, and it is even better when read aloud.
Owen Banner
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been trying to find a good poetry book to introduce to my kids that's got a healthy mix of voices and styles, but isn't too heavy or abstract. This one is perfect. From Blake to Angelou, silly to serious, Ravens to Little Red Wheelbarrow and even a Pachycephalosaurus, this is a great starter book to learn to love the sound, look, and feeling of words.
susie
Jul 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
some of it's for kids, but most of it is universal. example: "Dust of Snow" by Robert Frost
The way a crow
Of a day I had rued.
Sydney
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, poetry
I enjoyed this collection of poetry. It has a few poems from many different poets. A lot of children's poems are funny or nonsense. This collection is serious but still remains developmentally appropriate for children. Would be more appropriate for upper primary like 3rd-5th grades.
Kevin Hughes
I've been reading to my kids from this book for ... probably years now. They have memorized several of the poems from it.

I was disappointed that one of the poems dealt quite explicitly with suicide, and of course I never read that one aloud to my children. But overall it is a great anthology.
Krista
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this anthology! I read this book as a part of my sophomore year in high school. Out of the whole book, I think there were only a few poems I didn't like. Some were funny, sweet or interesting while others were more serious. Several of the poems were inspiring and gave me great ideas!
Anissa Utami
Feb 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
i don't get poems or anything to do with poetry, but the more i read it, the more i can't deny that i like it, even sometimes i get lost in the vocabularies things, but so far, i still enjoy it (as long as it makes sense to me).
Traci
Mar 18, 2008 rated it liked it
We have several poetry books we read to the kids, especially Julia. This one is my favorite. It has poems by many poets...a few are Maya Angelou, Shel Silverstein, Robert Frost and Emily DIckinson. My favorite is Wynken, Blynken, and Nod by Eugene Field.

• The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle
  • There Once Lived a Woman Who Tried to Kill Her Neighbor's Baby: Scary Fairy Tales
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • The Winter's Tale
  • The Chosen (Contender #1)
  • Untitled (Wings of Fire #14)
  • The Snark Handbook: Insult Edition: Comebacks, Taunts, and Effronteries
  • I Am David
  • How to Read Literature Like a Professor
  • Book Scavenger (Book Scavenger, #1)
  • Pontius Pilate
  • The Unbreakable Code (Book Scavenger, #2)
  • The Alcatraz Escape (Book Scavenger, #3)
  • Airborn (Matt Cruse, #1)
  • Mr. Lemoncello's Great Library Race (Mr. Lemoncello's Library, #3)
  • Mr. Lemoncello's Library Olympics (Mr. Lemoncello's Library, #2)
  • The Island of Dr. Libris
  • Touching Spirit Bear
Elizabeth Hauge Sword was raised in New York City. A graduate of Dartmouth College, she previously worked for ABC Sports and was a field producer for ABC Radio. She teaches elementary-school children and runs a computer consulting business. Sword lives in Princeton, New Jersey, with her husband and three children.