Start by marking “Sword of God (Payne & Jones, #3)” as Want to Read:
Sword of God (Payne & Jones, #3)

Sword of God

(Payne & Jones #3)

Off the coast of South Korea, a young boy discovers a cave that is coated in human blood. Less than a week later, everyone in his village disappears….

In Saudi Arabia, a female archaeologist unearths an artifact that threatens the historical foundation of Islam. To some Muslims, it is a discovery that must be silenced at all costs.

Meanwhile, in a sec
Published October 4th 2007 by Penguin (first published September 25th 2007)

Julian Lees
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
An easy read with plenty of action but I found it wasn't taut enough.
William Bentrim
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Sword of God by Chris Kuzneski

Novels that read like current events are frequently frightening. This portrayal of an orchestrated mass murder to unite the diverse elements of Islam is very disturbing. The disturbing aspect is that it seemed eminently probable.

Jonathan Payne is larger than life and a good combination of Bruce Lee and John Wayne. His side kick D.J. Jones is a tad more believable. The novel does a nice job in the portrayal of feared elements both abroad and i
Tim Pendry
Mar 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting a romp
Shelves: thriller
This was surprisingly good considering it is yet another of the surge of books mixing Middle Eastern politics and at least the implication of ancient secrets.

Kuzneski can write without cliche when he wants to, but when he does cliche, wow does he go to town - the 'machismo' of the hero and his sidekick (who kept reminding me of the Lone Ranger and Tonto for some reason) in the early chapters was just OTT.

But, despite this caveat and the usual necessary unbelievabilities which are part of this
Cheryle Leggett
Nov 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
WOW! What an author. Chris Kuzneski definately has a way with words.

The characters are fantastic, as are the stories. It's a great thriller, but it's got it's funny moments in it - mostly due to the two main characters.

When I wasn't near the book, all I wanted was to read it, and when I was reading it, I just wanted to know what would happen next. It really is gripping.
Tony
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Chris Kuzneski- Sword of God (Berkley Publishing 2007) 3.5 Stars

When a boy from South Korea discovers a cave full of blood near his village, he has no idea how it will affect his fellow villagers. In Saudi Arabia a major archaeological discovery has just been made. The U.S. has called in Payne and Jones on a black ops mission, but neither knows exactly why they have been called in, nor what is going on. Left to figure things out on their own they have decided to handle things in thei
Neil
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Book 3 in the Payne and Jones series, and it is easy to see that the writer is gaining in confidence. Once again this was a fairly easy read, quite fast paced, although as others have pointed out you do need to suspend belief at certain points. I seem to have read an early version as the number of typo's soon got to be frustrating, hopefully they have now been corrected.
Once again the writer has blended fact and fiction together. Initially there seemed to be 3 different plot lines, and the
Geoff Battle
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sword is the third book by Kuzneski featuring the two US military characters, Payne and Jones and is a standalone story, with little connectivity between previous volumes. The author is clearly becoming more confident with the characters as the series progresses, creating more banter between the likeable protagonists. Kuzneski has adapted his writing style to feature less of the pointless cliffhangers than marred his previous book. The distracting feature of Sword of God is that for most of the ...more
Angie Rhodes
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Once again Chris Kuzneski has written a book to loose yourself in, one that brings to mind Indiana Jones and Tomb Raider, an ancient scriptures is what makes Shari Shashmeen travel to the holy city of Mecca, while halfway around the world a covert military bunker holds a secret, and both of these could lead to Armageddon.
It will keep you turning the pages at break - neck speed! Loved it
Santosh
Mar 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Disappointing. Could not finish the book and left it midway. The suspense is not potent enough to hold you even after 100+ pages and the religious angle does not hold promise for a great reading experience. May be worth read of you have no books packed on a long flight but surely you will deviate if you have 100 books waiting to be read on your kindle.
Allan
Oct 14, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, action, thriller
Like his previous novel, The Sign Of The Cross, this is a fairly fast-paced action thriller and a very easy read - ideal holiday or travel reading.
With Payne and Jones back as the main heroes of the piece and with several plot twists, it's an entertaining read.
Daizymaine
Apr 11, 2008 rated it liked it
It was an ok read. Entertaining, good mystery with a lot of twists but some of them went no where. Some of the characters are never really fully developed.
Casey
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Paul Bourke
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Cuts to the heart of cultural differences.

Another killer story with Payne and Jones in the thick of it. I really enjoy the scale of the stories so far in the series. While, like all action stories, there are things that are quite contrived and just too lucky to be true, these can be overlooked for the sheer entertainment value. Bring on the next international saga for Payne and Jones to tackle!
Helen Birkbeck
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Similar style/content to Dan Brown and Paul Sussman (RIP) but in my view nowhere near as good. The characters were one-dimensional with no development and the author couldn't seem to decide whether he was trying to be humorous or not. The plot seemed disjointed and what it had to do with any sword of God I'm still not sure!
Warren Thoms
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it

It would have been 4 stars except I thought the ending was a little rushed. Other than that a good book with lots of action and the main characters Payne and Jones. The last book barely had them in the book until the 100th page. It will be interesting to see where the series goes from here.
Charlotte
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well written but didn't enjoy as much as the 1st two.
John Betts
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I found it very hard to get into, it is what I call an easy book to put down, the story does come together but took me 9 months to get through.
Suresh Vijendran
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good page turner.

I felt it would've been good if the time with villain could've extended. It ended quite fast.
Nigel
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent adventure thriller combining archaeology and a twist of geo-political thriller. What starts off as a strange request from the US Military for the assistance of Payne and Jones to help find a missing protégé Schmidt turns rather ugly when they are taken to a blood soaked cave on an obscure Korean island. At first it looks like Schmidt and his team are dead but later this turns out to be blind and it appears that he has gone off the reservation and has turned from game keepe ...more
Rosalyn
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Totally enjoying the series of payne and jones books .
Fun action easy to read
Peter
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
A good read, highly recommend
Ian Willey
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Possibly better than the first book of the serries I read but I would not buy more of them, though I actually have about another five so will read them.
Sandra
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Boring as bat shit. Slow as a pissed slug. I normally readily read this type of book. Thank goodness I only paid 20 cents for it at a book sale. The only way I want to come across this book again is that I will use it for toilet paper when the apocalypse happens.
Christina Woodworth
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you like The DaVinci Code, Indiana Jones, mysteries, and action, delve into the world of Payne and Jones--ex-military special ops and all-around bad asses. This is book number 4 in this series, and it is a fast-paced, quick-witted, action-packed thriller. Payne and Jones find themselves trying to unravel the mystery of the stranger who called out of the blue needing help, but before they can help, the man is murdered. Their travels take them to Ramstein, Germany (which totally made this forme ...more
Kislay Verma
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
From my review at SolomonSays:

The third edition of Payne and Jones follows the lead of the second in terms of religious sensationalism. This time, however, the target is Islam and its imaginary dark secrets are protected by the two protagonists. The plot lines are similar in terms of two series of events-one clearly religious and other one not so –merging into one as the story progresses. The plot lines are also similar in terms of invincibility of our heroes and trigger-happy disposition of pretty
Sally
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A refreshingly great read! Mostly set on Jeju Island in Korea, Chris Kuzneski makes you feel like you are there, not just in a pacey action adventure story, but on this tiny island with it's unique culture. His characters are alive and real, the drama non-stop, and plenty of added entertainment between Jone's and Payne's banter.

Brought back from retirement to track down a former MANIAC soldier they had trained, the two must solve the puzzle of what has been going on in these giant ca
Chelsea Powell
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ok, I finished this book a while ago but never really got the chance to review it. To be honest when I first picked this book up I didn't really have high hopes for it. Mostly because it's cover greatly resembled a lot of other cheesy books I dislike, after I read the first chapter though I must admit I became enthralled and when I wasn't doing other things I was reading this. It tends to flips through POV's either during chapters or at the start of them which keeps you on your toes as you don't ...more
Warriorangel Warriorangel
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a good thriller
Pleasantly surprised by this author. This is the first of his books I am reading and quite like his writing style. Loved the funny dialogue between Payne & Jones :) I read alot of fiction & out of habit I'd look for the factual bits throughout the story and find myself wanting to verify them. The hajj journey is quite interesting. As espionage-ish drama storylines go, the plot of this one is a frightening thought...am about 3/4 way through it & am thoroughly enjoying it thus far.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Gilded Seal (Tom Kirk, #3)
  • The Messiah Secret (Chris Bronson, #3)
  • The Exodus Quest (Daniel Knox, #2)
  • The Templar Cross (Templar, #2)
  • The Tiger Warrior (Jack Howard, #4)
  • The Heretic's Treasure (Ben Hope #4)
  • Ark of Fire (Caedmon Aisquith, #1)
  • The Sacred Vault (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #6)
  • The Chosen One (Maggie Costello, #2)
  • The Secret Cardinal (Nolan Kilkenny Thriller #5)
  • The Mayan Codex (Antichrist Trilogy #2)
  • The Sacred Bones
Chris Kuzneski is the international bestselling author of twelve novels, including his latest, THE MALTA ESCAPE. His books have been translated into more than twenty languages and have sold millions of copies worldwide. Chris is the first (and only) adventure writer to win an ITW Thriller Award. Although he grew up in western Pennsylvania, he currently lives on the Gulf Coast of Florida where he w ...more

Payne & Jones (9 books)
  • The Plantation (Payne & Jones, #1)
  • Sign of the Cross (Payne & Jones, #2)
  • The Lost Throne (Payne & Jones, #4)
  • The Prophecy (Payne & Jones, #5)
  • The Secret Crown (Payne & Jones, #6)
  • The Death Relic (Payne & Jones #7)
  • The Einstein Pursuit (Payne & Jones #8)
  • The Malta Escape (Payne & Jones #9)