Start by marking “A Woman Soldier's Own Story: The Autobiography of Xie Bingying” as Want to Read:
A Woman Soldier's Own Story: The Autobiography of Xie Bingying

A Woman Soldier's Own Story: The Autobiography of Xie Bingying

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  80 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
This first English translation of Xie Bingying's entire autobiography (1906-2000) is the story of a rebellious child who became a soldier, a lover, a teacher-and a writer whose bravery and determination have inspired generations of readers. It provides a fascinating portrayal of a woman fighting to free herself from the constraints of ancient Chinese tradition amid the dra ...more
Published February 25th 2003 by Berkley Trade (first published October 15th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Woman Soldier's Own Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Woman Soldier's Own Story

Joy Wilson
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a fascinating autobiography about Xie Bingying who was an author, a soldier, and a revolutionary. Even though translated from Chinese, the beauty of her writing is evident. I was taken by turns by her courage, her apparent selfishness in some decisions, her ability to survive many difficult and harsh circumstances, and her ability to remain focused and mostly optimistic. It was surprising to me how very much she travelled with so little money, and yet every where she went she found peopl ...more
Hillary
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
An extremely interesting story! The only problem I had was that changing between sections was sometimes very abrupt, and she didn't pay much attention to narrative continuity for her personal life, especially in the latter half of the book (Oh, you're... pregnant now. Okay. And you're with this guy I can't recall you mentioning before. Right.)
Guyada
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Powerful in its sincerity. She was a true soldier...
Gena Dennis
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting viewpoint of a young Chinese girl/woman's years growing up in China in the early 1900's. When we think about our own hardships in life, you can hardly compare that to what Xie Bingying went through with barely a complaint. A true fighter in every sense.

I really enjoyed this book.
The author's daughter (Dr. Lily Brissman) is my young daughter's piano teacher, which made this especially fascinating to me.
Resa
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This may sound like a surprising recommendation from me, but I loved this book! You have got to read it. Ask me if you want to know why, I do not have time for a review :/
Carroll
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Our book club had an interesting discussion about this unique woman. I learned a lot about Chinese history, in fact, about world history.
Jessica
Nov 11, 2013
Elsa Gaztambide
Dec 02, 2013
Mike Davis
I came to know Ms.Xie through her discourse w/ Lily and found her interviewer supremely patient.
Janene