Start by marking “Julia's House for Lost Creatures” as Want to Read:
Julia's House for Lost Creatures

Julia's House for Lost Creatures

When Julia and her walking house come to town, she likes everything about her new neighborhood except how quiet it is! So Julia puts a sign up: "Julia's House for Lost Creatures." Soon she's hosting goblins, mermaids, fairies, and even a dragon. Quiet isn't a problem anymore for Julia...but getting her housemates to behave themselves is!

The simple, sweet text o
Published September 2nd 2014 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Julia's House for Lost Creatures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Julia's House for Lost Creatures

Start your review of Julia's House for Lost Creatures
Patrick
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We've had this book for a while, and I was surprised to find that I hadn't already written about it on here already

Simply said: my kids adore it, and so do I.

It's a fun story about a young girl who opens her house up to mythical creatures, has some problems with her thoughtless guests, then resolves them. Nice pacing. Lovely illustrations.

The mythology isn't half-assed generic stuff either. Partially based in folklore, partially original. Ben brought in the Folletti, whi
First Second Books
Sep 05, 2014 marked it as first-second-publications
We're so delighted to be publishing Ben Hatke's first-ever picture book.

I feel like Julia is a tiny Anne of Green Gables from a magical world. If I was orphan!Anne and left alone by my parents, I would hope that this house would come pick me up and I would attract all of these lovely, fantastical friends (even if they had to be organized into cleaning up after themselves).

We hope you love this book, too!
Erica
We're in the midst of reading all the Hatke books my library has to offer.
After Gabe finished this one, he said, "It could just as easily have been called Erica's House for Lost Creatures."
 photo ff6b8eab-7885-4a81-9843-91d3622af7ee_zpsomj5st5v.jpg

He's not wrong.

Well, he kind of is. Having that many messy creatures in the house would drive me nuts. Well, I guess Julia had a similar reaction and I'd have had a solution not so
Set
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The fantasy themed illustrations are so aesthetically pleasing and the story is short but charming. The moral of the story is that no one wants to be alone but people shouldn't take advantage of other's hospitality and should help out with what they can. But mostly, I think this story serves perfectly for a majestic parade of fantasy characters.
Carmen
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children; Parents
I love the name "Julia."

This Julia is a very cute girl who lives in a mansion on the back of a gigantic tortoise. She moves to a new town.

The house is too quiet for her, though. So she goes to her workshop to make a sign that says JULIA'S HOUSE FOR LOST CREATURES.

This attracts a lot of messy creatures, including but not limited to: dwarves, a mermaid, a patchwork cat that can walk up walls, a giant troll, a bitty ghost, a sea serpent, a giant snail, and some H
Liviania
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ben Hatke is known for the Zita the Spacegirl graphic novels, the third and final volume of which came out earlier this year. Now he is venturing into children's books with JULIA'S HOUSE FOR LOST CREATURES, and his skills transfer very well. His art is adorable and immensely appealing. The trolls and mermaids and dragons and patchwork kitties (lost creatures all) are absolutely adorable.

There's a great deal of detail in the illustrations, perfect for kids who like to go over every page to point
S Farneth
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
From the first page to the last, I enjoyed the layout of the illustrations. Many of the pages have multi-illustrations which tell the story as Julia creates her house and takes in the lost creatures. I regret having to read it on a tablet and would love to see the book’s illustrations in hardcopy.

Julia opens her house for lost creatures and pandemonium ensues. Knowing that not having them is not an option, she creates a chore chart and organizes them so that every creature has a plac
Andréa
I absolutely loved Julia's House for Lost Creatures! The illustrations are beautiful and whimsical, just the way I like them; the concept is fun and original; and the text is creatively placed without being difficult to read.

For some reason, it reminded me of my mom's favorite picture book, The Maggie B. by Irene Haas. The two books don't have a lot in common, but it was the first thing that came to mind when I started reading Julia's House for Lost Creatures.

I'd recommend this most for kids who love
Elevetha
A charming picture book about a lonely little girl who decides to house lost creatures from far and wide. The story is very cute, and the illustrations are as well, actually aiding the telling and the enjoyment of the story, rather than hindering them, as I've encountered far too often. Additionally, it is easily just as enjoyable for an older reader as for a child.

I especially liked the ghosties and the small gnome-like creatures that were 80% beard.
Caitlin Snyder
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I got a copy from Net Galley so read this on my phone. The only thing I wished was that I had a real copy so I could see every detail of the amazing illustrations. The story is simple yet creative and can go from younger pre-k's to grade schoolers with ease. I'm eager to see how this works as a read aloud.
I look forward to more in this format from Ben Hatke in the future.
orangerful
ADORABLE! As I read this, I wished it was a cartoon series like 'Adventure Time' with 11 minute stories about each creature that visited Julia's home. I love Ben Hatke's art style and all the little creatures he selected that would visit Julia's home.

Great little story!
ReadingWench
I love this book. The illustrations are amazing. The story its self is fantastic. So cute and original.
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Check out more picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Julia moves to the sea shore but her house is too quiet! So she puts up a sign: "Julia's House for Lost Creatures." Soon she has a whole mess of goblins, mermaids, fairies, and even a dragon. With so many guests they need a little order! Then she realizes the house needs a little work so she invites a fixer upper to join them...

I LOVE books about CREATURES!! So I was really excited for this book... watercolors are also a medium
Abigail
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Magical Picture-Books That Are Equal Parts Humor & Enchantment
When Julia's house comes to town (atop a massive turtle), and settles by the sea, Julia herself finds things a little too quiet. Putting up a sign welcoming lost creatures, she is soon playing host to a patchy cat, a troll, a troop of folletti, a mermaid, and many other fantastical beings. Not unexpectedly, chaos soon reins, and Julia must take charge so that all may enjoy the house together...

An engaging tale of fantastic creatures all finding refuge with one unusual girl in her unu
Chris
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Reviewed from a digital ARC provided by Netgalley.

When I saw this title listed on Netgalley, I jumped at the chance to request it! Something new by Ben Hatke? I couldn’t resist. In this short book, we are again delighted with charming characters that are at once strange and endearing. Julia herself is quite a sweet looking little character, but like Zita, she is full of determination and spunk! The story is simple - Julia and her house move into town, but Julia is lonely living all by herself i
Rachel
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up originally while I was looking up storytime books and thought the cover looked cool. When I found out First Second books was the publisher, I knew it was gonna be awesome (they just always seem to do cooler than normal books and graphic novels). The book starts off with Julia's house being on a giant tortoise, which delighted my son to no end. She comes to a new area but is bored, so she puts a sign outside for welcoming in lost creatures. In no time at all, some start to show u ...more
Ana Calabresi
When Julia’s house settles by the sea, she finds herself lonely. She quickly makes a sign inviting lost creatures to make her company. The sign attracts many fantasy creatures, like trolls, ghosts, goblins and mermaids, and soon her house becomes a mess of creatures feeling way too comfortable. The girl makes yet another sign to explain the house rules and how everyone should do something if they are to live together.

I find it interesting that Julia’s communication is always through
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In this house, we are, quite simply, Ben Hatke fans. It's true. It all started way back when the first Zita book came out. I happened to win the book on a Goodreads giveaway and there was no going back. Zita the Spacegirl is a graphic novel series for middle grade readers. We love Zita and we have all the books. I would say the series is fun for the whole family.

You can imagine how excited I am to be able to review this new children's book, "Julia's House for Lost Creatures". Ben Hat
babyhippoface
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
First thought: super-cute illustrations
Second thought: My niece would have adored this book when she was little.

Julia's house, which sits on top of a giant tortoise, moves by the sea and settles in. Everything is perfectly lovely there, but it's just too quiet. So Julia paints a sign that says, "Julia's House for Lost Creatures". She hangs it outside and waits. It's not long before Patched Up Kitty appears at her door. He makes a sweet companion. But then more lost creatures show up: a troll, a mermaid,
Timothy Ward
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ben Hatke has a fun imagination and the art does a great job of bringing that to life. In this story about a girl who has recently moved her house to the edge of the sea, we meet all sorts of lovable and lost creatures. My wife loved that the girl has wavy read hair just like her and pointed out that Ben must have girls because this story and another favorite of ours Zita the Spacegirl focus on a young girl.

The rating on this is difficult because I'm not the age range and don't have children
Mary Catelli
A light-hearted picture book with charming art. Revolving about Julia, whose house (on a turtle's back) just settled by a seashore. In retrospect, I don't think her age is quite determined in the book. . . .

Anyway, alone by the sea, she finds it too quiet. So she hangs out a sign from her workshop -- the book's title. And the lost creatures start to arrive. (I'm half-convinced that she has magical powers when she paints signs.) First a patchwork cat, then a troll, then more and more.
Jessica at Book Sake
The watercolor illustrations that fill the pages of this book are lovely. The soft colors make the picture book perfect for a bedtime read. I loved the interesting creatures that showed up at Julia's doorstep (the kitty is my favorite).

Where the book is flawed for me is in it's simple storyline. It is very simple, which is what I expect and want in a picture book, but it overlooks many things that I wanted explained. The ending didn't wrap things up nicely for me and the storyline's rhythm didn
Julee
Ben Hatke has his pulse on what children like to read. Julia's House for Lost Creatures is a sweet story of a girl who lives in a house that rests upon the back of a giant turtle (although you don't realize this until the end of the book). Julia moves to the beach and finds her new home too quiet so she makes a sign welcoming lost creatures to move in and boy do they! First comes a kitten and then a troll soon followed by a variety of interesting creatures who have lost their homes. With so many ...more
Caryn Caldwell
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Julia's new neighborhood is a little too quiet, so she makes a sign inviting creatures of all sorts to crash at her place. Only problem? Trolls, mermaids, and dragons -- among others -- make a lot of mess. Julia loves her guests, though, so she is determined to find a way for them to live in harmony.

This story is delightful, both humorous and sweet, and I love the lesson that everyone must help out to make a household run smoothly. All the little details add a nice touch as well, fro
Barbara
When Julia settles into her new house, she finds it a little bit too quiet and posts a sign proclaiming the place as a refuge for any lost creatures. The house is quickly filled with various lost souls, including Patched Up Kitty, a troll, a mermaid, a dragon, and all sorts of creatures found only on the pages of fairy tales or fantasy novels. Before she knows it, her house is crowded and messy, but the ever-resourceful Julia parcels out chores for all of her houseguests. The last page showing h ...more
K
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
My 4yr/o daughter wants to be a veterinarian when she grows up. Because she loves the idea of caring for others, especially animals, I thought this fun fairy tale would be good for her. I love the comic book style. It is an adorable fantasy for young children - Julia's house arriving on the back of a large tortoise and setting it up to welcome homeless trolls and strange patch kitties that climb walls. I will be picking up Hatke's other books for their unique, strong girl themes, but I did find ...more
Jennie Machines
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This is one of the most adorable books that I have seen lately.

Little Julia thinks it is too quiet in her house, so she puts out a sign for Lost Creatures. Creatures start making their way to her house until she is overwhelmed and has to figure out what to do.

On top of an adorable story the art work is just gorgeous. I can't wait until I can get my hands on a physical copy and peruse the pages. This will make for a great story time book, maybe for a Not So Scary Monsters theme?
Mary
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This children's picture book about a lonely little girl opening her house to all manner of rag-tag, vagabond, reject creatures is a magical reading experience for all ages. Even if you only "read" it through the beautiful illustrations as my grandson did. Uniquely lovely book...
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Do I feel embarrassed being 22 and have read this book? NO!

Come on, it was too cute to pass up and the illustrations were beautiful! Being an artist myself, I could truly appreciate the artwork. The little story was interesting to. All in all. CUTE. CUTE. CUTE.
Stephanie
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations in this book are so cute and the story is fun. Bug approved.
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Fantasy Picture book with Gnomelike Characters. [s] 4 19 Oct 03, 2019 11:18PM
Goodreads Librari...: page numbers 2 10 May 20, 2015 06:05PM

• Here Comes the Easter Cat
  • The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend
  • The Worst Princess
  • A Perfectly Messed-Up Story
  • Little Elliot, Big City (Little Elliot, #1)
  • Quest
  • Big Bad Bubble
  • Puddle Pug
  • Maple
  • This Is Sadie
Ben Hatke is an author and illustrator of graphic novels and picture books. Most notably he is the creator of the Zita the Spacegirl graphic novel series.

He posts art and stories online at:

www.benhatke.com