Start by marking “Sensation: The New Science of Physical Intelligence” as Want to Read:
Sensation: The New Science of Physical Intelligence

Sensation: The New Science of Physical Intelligence

Like the revolutionary bestsellers Predictably Irrational and Emotional Intelligence, Sensation is an exciting, completely new view of human behavior—a new psychology of physical intelligence (or embodied cognition)—that explains how the body unconsciously affects our everyday decisions and choices, written by one of the world’s leading psychologists.

From colors and temper
Audio CD
Published April 29th 2014 by Brilliance Audio (first published March 27th 2014)

Danielle
May 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
It was okay. Maybe if I was holding something warm when I read it I would have liked it more.
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Q:
В этой книге я проведу вас по миру ощущений и расскажу, как сенсорный опыт воздействует на наши мыслительные процессы, которые мы полагаем рациональными, и на наши решения, которые мы считаем независимыми. Я объясню, почему тепло временно делает нас более дружелюбными, а красный цвет может повредить нам на экзамене. Я продемонстрирую, как две точки, поставленные рядом на координатной плоскости, заставляют нас ощутить более тесную эмоциональную связь с объектом, а резюме, прикрепленное к тяжело
Nancy
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I want to have liked this more than I did but it's not as well written or as heavily backed up as Nudge, The Spell of the Sensuous, Metaphors In Mind or Metaphors We Live By. However it does bridge the gap between the these although not sadly not explicitly. Some interesting studies shared in some nice, if a little repetitive, ways. The conclusions could have been bolder.
Tim Petersik
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting review of literature concerning how physical/bodily states influence psychological, usually interpersonal, judgments. I don't question the research, but sometimes it surely challenges the imagination. In essence, this book shows that many of our metaphors are not merely metaphors.
GONZA
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Well as a former psychologist and psychoteherapist I would really liked to believe all that was written in this book, anyway, ad the author said, it is probably possible not to replicate the results of this experiment because they are "too broad" and sooooo lets hope that cuddling a cat makes us gentler....

Come ex psicologa e psicoterapeuta mi piacerebbe davvero credere che tutto quello scritto in questo libro comunque, come dice anche l'autrice, é possibile che molti di questi esperimenti non s
Stefania
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
not bad, not bad

Perhaps too much "this study was taken like this" and so on
Claudia  -
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Did you read all those fascinating books on smart decision-making? Have you trained your brain and think you got the edge now?
Well, think again, turns out that our bodies, specifically our senses have quite an input into our behaviour without us even noticing.

There is an enormous fluidity between body and mind and there are countless metaphors and figures of speech in our language to demonstrate this: a weight on our shoulders, seeing red, something smells fishy, having a clean conscience, etc.
Irene Gracesiana
Quite an interesting book. How the sensation has so much influence on our behavior, emotions and feelings. Theory of EMBODIED COGNITION - that explains how the body UNCONSCIOUSLY affects our everyday decisions and choices.

we will unconsciously more open up and show warm attitude toward new people we met, if we hold hot drink.

If we still using hard copy for CV and professional resume, use heavier paper to show our seriousness on vacant position we apply.

From color to texture will create differ
Ogi Ogas
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My ratings of books on Goodreads are solely a crude ranking of their utility to me, and not an evaluation of literary merit, entertainment value, social importance, humor, insightfulness, scientific accuracy, creative vigor, suspensefulness of plot, depth of characters, vitality of theme, excitement of climax, satisfaction of ending, or any other combination of dimensions of value which we are expected to boil down through some fabulous alchemy into a single digit.
Melanie
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Brought this book back to the library before I finished it. The facts were interesting but I feel like the chapters were written way too long. Too long to keep my interests 🤷♀ maybe it's me. I don't think it is a bad book I feel like if you are not super into reading a 3 page paragraph about only one study, this is not your book ...more
Alexandr Blokhin
Очень примитивная книга, информация в которой опирается на весьма сомнительные исследования. На исследования, где принимает участие, например, 40 студентов. Мало того, что взята всего одна социальная группа, так ещё и 40 человек. И таких примеров исследований на 20-60 человек в книге туча.

Читать можно по диагонали, ничего не пропустите.
Stasy
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, audiobook
Познавательно, но для меня это одноразовая книга. Желания перечитать ее нет.
yamiyoghurt
Useful information, not exactly gripping.
Rossdavidh
May 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blue
We all know that when we say someone is "sweet", we don't mean they are literally sweet, or even that they like sweet things. We know that it is a sort of analogy between a person whose personality makes them pleasant to be around, and something which tastes especially pleasant. Thalma Lobel knows this as well. She is, however, asserting that these two different meanings of the word "sweet" are a lot more closely tied together in our mind than we might think. So much so that activating one conce ...more
Toya Munera
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Definitely an interesting piece, as a designer I found it very useful
Nose in a book (Kate)
Lobel is a psychologist who is interested in how our senses affect the way we think and links that to the way that we think metaphorically – a new area of psychology called “embodied cognition”. Sounds a bit complicated? Here are some examples to show how straightforward an idea it is: holding something warm makes us friendlier; the colour red makes us anxious; the smell of fish makes us feel suspicion. Yes, really.

The examples explored in the book vary quite a lot. Some of them seemed obvious t
GeorgeC
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sensation, is not unlike many books in popular psychology. However it stands apart from other books on the subject in being able to avoid the inevitable trap of becoming 'self-help'. As a result, we have a book that cites studies and their possible implications in a fairly terse manner. I therefore can't recommend this to anyone whose highly familiar with psychology because it's unlikely to relay facts they didn't know.

In brief, the author brings the reader through a series of experiments and t
Ben
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology
Basically, all the metaphors people use to describe psychological things are related to physical sensations. So when you say that someone is a warm person, you probably actually feel slightly warmer when they are acting warm. With the reverse also working, which is why hot tea and blankets make you feel accepted and cared for.

That was the main new thing, most of the other stuff was pretty bland.

If you live in a dark room with no windows, that could make you unhappy! Red means stop! Red means fi
Tomer Mozes-sadeh
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a lot of examples of how sensational experience influence our decision making process, a very good small talk issues for your next business meeting or water cooler small talk.

The most amazing fact I have realised due to one of the last chapters discussing the effect metaphors has on use. This chapter shows that if we enact metaphors we are more prone to act accordingly. For example: putting two things together makes you better in math (put one and one together). What I found so ama
Jacq
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
A book on embodied cognition. Read the uncorrected proof copy.
The main message of the book is to expose us to understand how we are unconsciously affected by irrelevant environment in our daily behaviours. However, the chapters are presented in very similar way and made it quite boring to read after the first few chapters. The author also made unconvincing links between her personal experience to her results. As well as many unconvincing statements (correlations vs causations). But, it is my fir
Ben
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
A slightly sub-Gladwell entry in the crowded social psychology genre. Covers much of the same ground as Dan Ariely's "Predictably Irrational." You already know most of what's in this book: hot drinks make people friendlier while a cold room makes them standoffish; the physical weight of something suggests its perceived importance; red inspires either fear of failure, aggression, or sexual excitement, depending on context; white and black are associated with good and evil (though curiously, no di ...more
Doug Kerwin
Sep 12, 2014 rated it liked it
I may never drink a warm cup of coffee, wear the color red, or wash my hands again without thinking of the psychological effect these things may have on it. The most fascinating thing I've taken with me on the study of embodied cognition is the bidirectional nature of it. The physical world affects how you feel and how you feel alters your physical manifestation. And of course there's that possibly irrelevant chicken and egg question.
Jessica
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Likes: the information presented in this book is very interesting & possibly useful.

Dislikes: it was rather long-winded to describe every research as was done in the book. That preference is all down to the reader.

Having said that, there are so many types of people in this world: those who like details, those who don't, and those who just don't have a single nice thing to say about the books they read.

Final Verdict: I LIKED IT.
Frances
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fascinating! I will never look at how I make decisions the same way ever again. I might even use this to influence how I go into meetings, interviews, etc. so that I can put my best foot forward and so others will have the best impression of me that I want them to have.
Wan Shoo
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Brilliantly written! This book awakens your consciousness on sensations, including Colours, temperature, brightness, smell and taste. By knowing this new science of physical intelligence, you will gain more in every occasion because our daily life is never lacked of sensation. Highly recommended !
Rebecca Cole
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was interesting but half of it was common sense. The interesting part was seeing that what you kind of know is now supported by studies. So, I guess there really weren't anything surprising. It's was o.k..
Will Vincent
May 10, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poorly written. Quite dull to read. Gave up 50% of the way through:
Hannah Wingfield
Click here to read my full review, on my book blog.
Gregory Barron
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting stuff. Embodied Cognition
Hmmm do we perceive someone being sweeter because we see them eat something sweet
Rachel
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a fascinating look at our physical sensation can affect us. The author notes how much work still needs to be done, but it offer a great look at where psychology and biology overlap.
  • Designing Gestural Interfaces: Touchscreens and Interactive Devices
  • The Disciplined Mind: Beyond Facts and Standardized Tests, the  K-12 Education That Every Child Deserves
  • The EFT Manual
  • Crossing the Finish Line: Completing College at America's Pu
  • Trade-Off: Why Some Things Catch On, and Others Don't
  • Getting Unstuck: How Dead Ends Become New Paths
  • The Geopolitics of Emotion: How Cultures of Fear, Humiliation, and Hope are Reshaping the World
  • My Orange Duffel Bag: A Journey to Radical Change
  • Organizing for Your Brain Type: Finding Your Own Solution to Managing Time, Paper, and Stuff
  • Start Over, Finish Rich: 10 Steps to Get You Back on Track in 2010
  • Make: More Electronics: Learning Through Discovery
  • The Marriage-Go-Round: The State of Marriage and the Family in America Today
  • The Politics of Truth: Inside the Lies That Put the White House on Trial and Betrayed My Wife's CIA Identity
  • It's Not About the Shark: How to Solve Unsolvable Problems
  • People Are Idiots and I Can Prove It!: The 10 Ways You Are Sabotaging Yourself and How You Can Overcome Them
  • I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just Not You: The Real Meaning of the Sixteen Personality Types
  • The Ten Roads to Riches: The Ways the Wealthy Got There (and How You Can Too!)
  • The New Global Student: Skip the SAT, Save Thousands on Tuition, and Get a Truly International Education