Start by marking “The Fear Principle” as Want to Read:
The Fear Principle

The Fear Principle

(Jaguar Addams #1)

They were known as the Killing Times, when serial murder reached epidemic proportions...A woman named Jaguar tries to rehabilitate these killers by establishing a telepathic link with them and divulging their worst fears.

But now she's about to face the most challenging subject of her career.

The ultimate assassin. A dangerously disturbed woman who will teach Jaguar the true
Published January 1st 1998 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about The Fear Principle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fear Principle

Jaime
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t think I have ever fallen so quickly and completely in love with a world an author has created. The worlds, the backgrounds, are something we readers so often take for granted. And yet, when it’s done so well, we can’t help but notice and appreciate.

In a world of empaths and using fears to rehabilitate prisoners, Dr. Jaguar Addams comes across her most difficult prisoner yet. While I won’t give away why this particular prisoner is so difficult (I loved that reveal) and the other things wo
Maxine Stone
Mar 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book kept me reading from start to finish. Fast paced, and the main character is a lot more complex than you'd imagine. I particularly like it that she has complex relationships with women as well as men. The plot is tight, and the language use is also really interesting, as the author explores what it's like to translate different levels of consciousness to language. This is first in a series, and I can't wait to read more.
Heavensent1
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
The Fear Principle is science fiction thriller with moderate to heavy expletives and violence.

After the "Killing Times", a time in human history where serial killing became an epidemic and barely a soul came out of the period unscathed, the government created a program of rehabilitation off-planet, by using the fears of the individual as a control technique. Some corporations, such as DIE, work in the shadows, creating super toys for the elite at the cost of everyone around them.

Dr. Jaguar Addam
Ellen
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It is a total mystery to me why this series has not yet been snapped up by television scouts. It's got it all: richly layered both main and minor characters, will-they-won't-they love story that only resolves quite late in the series, extremely compelling world-building complete with detailed, jarring flashbacks, gorgeous scenery, plots that actually vary greatly and explore the consistent world premises.

I've loved Jaguar Addams since I first discovered Chepaitis' first two volumes while a nerdy
Wendy Hines
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Fear Principle is a science fiction fantasy with a splash of dystopian and creepiness.

The Killing Times, serial killers ran rampant and reached epidemic proportions. So the government decided they needed to be punished...elsewhere. They created Planetoids, small planets that orbited the earth, out of sight and mind.

On Planetoid Three, Dr. Jaguar Addams uses her gift of empathy to connect to the killers. She urges them to confront their own fears and takes them within herself, cleansing the c
Susan
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, intense
B. A. Chepaitis wove together an intriguing tale of the search for justice, the survival of betrayal, and the principle fears of the main characters. Ever had a really good dark smoky whiskey? Yeah. That’s what this book was like. Sometimes I would sit for hours savoring this book, and sometimes I had way less time, yet each dip into this novel left me wanting more. I was fascinated with the main characters from the beginning because each of them had a past to unravel in relation to the current ...more
Kelly
Apr 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
I grabbed this book off the shelf in the used books basement at Brookline Booksmith because I was in Coolidge Corner and expected some epic waiting-for-the-66-bus shenanigans to ensue. Which is sort of like saying "I bought this book because it was the only thing I could find at the airline terminal, when I knew my flight would be delayed ... by several days."

So standards were set low. And it was okay, but not great. Vaguely interesting premise (criminals are rehabilitated by social workers who
Paula Ratcliffe
This book was sent to me for a honest and fair review. This is the second book about Dr. Jaguar Addams who is a doctor on Planetoid Three who deals with criminals by making them see their fear. In the Fear Principle she gets handed a double case one investigating a con man, the other is the case of an assassin, who they are trying to figure out who hired her. What Jaguar learns is shocking. Also she mounts a rescue for her boss Alex who has been kidnapped. A great read and wonderful adventure
Teipu
May 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Couldn't really connect to the characters. Jaguar, though with a dark past, just seemed to be too perfect.
Also every villain she encountered was a little bit too easy to kill.

What's the difference between The Serials and the Killing Times??? Doesn't become clear at all.
Falbs
Nov 06, 2014 rated it liked it
"But science pays, and artists starve."
Dawn