Start by marking “Square Feet” as Want to Read:
Square Feet

Square Feet

Square Feet, Lori A. May's latest book of poetry, features intimate, courageous poems that invite the reader to witness moments in a couple's journey through joys and challenges. These unassuming poems succeed in depicting serious and complex issues through the details of day-to-day life.
Published January 6th 2014 by Accents Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Square Feet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Square Feet

Start your review of Square Feet
Barbara Taylor
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was in the middle of a frenzied day of cleaning when my copy of SQUARE FEET arrived in the mail. I sat down to thumb through the book, promising myself I’d get back to cleaning in a minute or two. An hour later, with my feet up and a pillow behind my head, I realized I was reading the book for a second time. Lori A. May’s poetry elevates the ordinary, dishes, houses, relationships, even cleaning. It’s one of those books that will make you say, “She knows me,” when you’ve finished reading.

Sherry Chandler
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don't think in square feet. If you tell me a house is so many square feet big, I'll have no idea how big the house is. I've never bought a house or registered a china pattern. I've never lived in the suburbs. Nevertheless, when Lori A May speaks in the vocabulary of the suburban middle class, I understand. Suburban middle class has become the default definition of American.

In poems like "Place Settings" and "Separating the Whites," May uses this default metaphorically to create a portrait of a
Molly
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Each of Lori A. May’s vivid aphoristic poems in Square Feet raises a miniature window into a moment of marriage or domestic life. Unadorned and unafraid, May’s lines recreate these scenes of love and angst in dioramas of plain words and short lines. Square Feet gives us sex and despair, yes, but also quizzical whimsy. The truths of wry surprises make these poems the work of a mature heart and a trenchant tongue.
Amber McDaniel
Kim
Mar 26, 2014
Abby
Feb 02, 2015
Lori A. May is the author of several books, including SQUARE FEET (Accents, 2014) and THE LOW-RESIDENCY MFA HANDBOOK (Continuum / Bloomsbury, 2011). She writes across the genres and her work has appeared in publications such as The Atlantic, Writer's Digest, Brevity, Midwestern Gothic, and The Writer. She is also the founding editor of Poets’ Quarterly. Lori is a graduate of the Wilkes University ...more