Start by marking “Neverwhere: BBC Dramatisation” as Want to Read:
Neverwhere: BBC Dramatisation

Neverwhere: BBC Dramatisation

Beneath the streets of London there is another London. A subterranean labyrinth of sewers and abandoned tube stations. A somewhere that is Neverwhere.

Audiobook
Published March 16th 2013 by BBC Radio 4

To ask other readers questions about Neverwhere, please sign up.
Sara Recently, when I looked for it, neither my library or audible or google play had it. I was able to have the cds shipped from the UK via amazon.

Patrick
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Okay. Allow me to take a deep breath here. This isn't easy for me.

I didn't particularly like this production of Neverwhere.

I feel awful typing that. Worse, I feel stupid. I feel like this is a betrayal.

I've loved Neverwhere for ages. I own, right now, eight unread copies of the paperback. I buy them in bulk and give them away to people who claim they don't like fantasy. I use it as a gateway drug.

What's more, I've loved all the other productions of Neverwhere I've experienced. I enjoyed the
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*Audible edition read by full BBC cast: (Christopher Lee, James McAvoy, Natalie Dormer, David Harewood, Sophie Okonedo, Benedict Cumberbatch, Anthony Head ).*

Wow, what an awesome listen! The only problem? I have to go back and get the ebook because the BBC cast version was abridged and I feel like I missed huge chunks of the story.

This is my first experience with an audiobook that is more like a theater production. I felt like I was at a play with my eyes closed. There were sound effects, at le
Lindsay
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have consumed this previously in novel form and the 1996 television series. I have loved it in all its forms and that includes this excellent full cast recording.

Richard Mayhew, a Scotsman living in London, performs a random act of compassion for a stranger and is plunged into the world of London Below and exiled from the surface world. Now he must help the Lady Door in her mission to find out why her family were murdered, and avoid the brutal killers Mr Croup and Mr Vandemar.

The cast in this
Mario
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed listening to this so much. It was so good to be back in this world once more.

I don't think that they could've found a better cast for this. I mean James McAvoy and Natalie Dormer. What's not to love?!

If you're a fan of the book, I would recommend giving this a try. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
Cathy (cathepsut)
I tried one audiobook five years ago and didn't like it. Afterward I always said that I didn't like audiobooks, because it was too hard for me to concentrate on them, falling asleep, getting distracted - but I caved for this BBC dramatization, after listening to a snippet with McAvoy and getting three months of free Audible.

McAvoy as Richard and Dormer as Door were pretty good. The other cast members did great jobs as well, Cumbersnatch and Christopher Lee being the ones I looked forward to the
Jessica
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't like audiobooks, but this, with a full cast was amazing. So fantastic to be able to hear London Below, and of course, the voices were just delicious.
From BBC Radio 4 Extra :

An act of kindness sees Richard Mayhew catapulted from his ordinary life into a subterranean world under the streets of London. Stopping to help an injured girl on a London street, Richard is thrust from his workaday existence into the strange world of London Below.

So begins a curious and mysterious adventure deep beneath th
Maria Laura
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Por algunos comentarios que había leído, temia no poder seguir la historia, ya que no leí el libro. Pero no fue así. Pude seguirla y disfrutarla mucho. El elenco es destacable, especialmente Richard, y Angel Islington (del cual me hubiera gustado más participación pero no estoy siendo objetiva jaja). Las actuaciones son destacables , y junto con la historia me mantuvieron prendida todos los episodios. Me pregunto si el final en el libro es igual o va más allá.
Trish
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Again, heard - not read.
I read the book in January this year so I knew what the story was about and already had a mental picture of everything. However, after the wonderful dramatization of Good Omens, which I listened to around Christmas / January 2015, I got curious when author Neil Gaiman tweeted about Neverwhere getting a make-over too. This is not the first dramatization of the story, but definitely the first with this sort of cast! I mean, look at the names!

As I said before, I'm usually no
Vavita
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am really not into audiobooks. I tend to dream away and at some point completely stop paying attention to the story at all.
My daydreaming only took place twice with this book. The story was really interesting and the character of Richard (James McAvoy) was super funny.
I had some issues with McAvoy's accent but I don't complain. It was still understandable.
✨Susan✨
I thought that this production was a bit of a Steampunk/fantasy done masterfully by the narrators. A great story about a group of people that are thrown together unexpectedly and realize right away that it is imperative that they work together if they are to survive the perils at hand. This was by far my favorite Neil Gaiman book to date, it is full of great, strange places and wonderfully, rich characters. A fantastically, dangerous adventure that incorporates two parallel worlds, is great for ...more
Basia
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh, this STORY!!! It took me yesterday and this morning, while driving, to get through the whole thing. It was SPLENDID!

Goodness gracious, Dr Xavier as Richard! I confess, I even became a tad bit emotional during the Black Friar Ordeal! And the Rapping Monks? Why, they were just a BONUS! :0)

Cannot recommend this enough, especially for those who are familiar with the Neverwhere story. It made me yearn for the novel again.

Lindsay? You're awesome for taking the time to get me to this adaptation.
Nicki
Fantastic all the stars!

I never imagined I would ever read/listen, let alone love this Neil Gaiman book, as it’s just not the type of book or genre that I go anywhere near.

I listened to this in the car whilst I was driving around the island and I have to say that it was brilliant. Every-time I’d come to the end of my journey I was trying to think of reasons to go back out so I could listen to more of the story. Richard was a brilliant main character and James McAvoy perfect at playing him. I re
Mel (Daily Prophecy)
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
That was impressive! So, I found out that while I'm not an audiobook person, I can enjoy these. The fact that the story is played rather than being told, with all the background noises, made it so much easier to focus on the story :)

I guess it is now time to give the book itself a go!
Hannah
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I listened to this while I was at work doing the mindless stuff like filing out spreadsheets. It was a fun way to pass the time and made it go back way more quickly. The voice acting is phenomenal and there are sound effects to go along with it like rain sounds, walking sounds, door knocking. I really enjoyed it and it made the story much more interesting than if i had just read it on my own. The story itself is really original and you can find it for free on the BBC website, you can also find m ...more
Krazykiwi
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous cast doing one of my all time favourite stories. Pretty sure the all dialogue, no exposition or narration style would not work as a first exposure to it though. Watch the TV show, or read the book, and revisit later with this, because without already having an idea who the characters are, and where the plot is going, this is probably pretty incoherent.

I still loved it unabashedly though.
Kate Friday
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was the first time I have listened to an audiobook - I very much enjoyed being told the story of Neverwhere by Charles Xavier, Margaery Tyrell, Sherlock and Donna's Grandad. I love the idea of the London Below and the story is very witty and funny.
Andrea
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook, fantasy
Despite a wonderful cast (which includes Benedict Cumberbatch, Natalie Dormer, James McAvoy, Christopher Lee, and David Harewood, to name a few), this didn't really work for me. The six episodes were very short (less than 30 minutes, except for the first one, which was longer) and the pacing just felt off to me. Also, "chapter 7" was a half hour of outtakes and unused material.
I think I got the gist of the story, but I'm betting there is so much more to London Below than they were able to show
Cindy Rollins
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a delightful diversion. It is a bit of a cheat to get credit for it, as it is a dramatization but the voices are
lovely. I do plan on trying another version of this sometime. So far I have loved every Neil Gaiman I have read which includes
only The Graveyard Book and his effort with Terry Pratchett, Good Omens.

Any suggestions on other Gaiman books I might like?
Hilda
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, favorite
I didn't think this book could get any better. I read the book many, many years ago. It was actually the first book I ever read from Neil Gaiman. I was absolutely in love with Neverwhere and this story started my love for anything and everything Neil Gaiman. I recently started listening to audiobooks on my way to and from work. I decided to listen to the audio book for the actual book and loved that, Neil Gaiman himself narrates it. I just loved it!!! THEN, I found this version and was blown awa ...more
Michelle
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Neil Gaiman story is always a treat. A Neil Gaimain story told by James McAvoy, Benedict Cumberbatch, Natalie Dormer, Christopher Lee, Anthony Head and an entire cast is auditory divinity. First and foremost, their obvious joy at participating in such an experience is palpable. They are having a blast in their performances, and a listener cannot help but react favorably to their obvious excitement and happiness. Then, there is the pleasure of hearing Mr. Gaiman’s characters come to life. They ...more
Lisbeth
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Just as absolutely wonderful as the book. Amazing cast, perfect performance, brilliant story!
Izette
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jenni DaVinCat
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This was an awesome adaptation of Neverwhere. The voice acting was spectacular and it was really easy to picture these people as the characters that I've already grown to love. Christopher Lee and Anthony Head gave intense and wonderful performances. Both of them were able to perfectly capture how I had pictured their respective characters in my head.

I'm not very familiar with radio-shows but I did feel that if you had never read Neverwhere, that there would be a lot of confusion. In particular,
Mandy
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book
I have a chequered history with Gaiman - I love his imagination, but he is just a touch too much on the dark side for my delicate sensibilities, and this story in no exception, particularly because most of it takes place in tunnels, tube trains, small lifts, etc. under London, and I am claustrophobic.

To be honest, my grip on the story was never that firm, I was never really sure what the characters were questing for, but it didn't seem to matter, strange and interesting events were constantly o
Joanie Zosike
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, got to say, Gaiman is prolific and has an unimaginable imagination--that is to say, his mind knows no limits. This story has so many twists and turns. Sometimes the characters are nearly Dickensian. It is a very original story. I was taken away for a week or so with Neil, and appreciate his skill. Just one thing bothered me, and that was a preponderance of dangling participles and grammar slips. It just annoys me. But I have to forgive it, because he really entertained me when I so needed ...more
Regina
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually was able to listen to the BBC radio version of this back in the summer of 2012(?) online. Well crafted, acted, and so easily to immerse yourself into Neil Gaiman's world.

If you don't have the time to actually read the book, this is the definitive audiodrama to listen to.
Leslie
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable adaptation of the book. James McAvoy and Natalie Dormer are perfect as Richard and Door. I feel it was easy enough to follow even if you haven't read the book. This was a nice change of pace, having the book acted out as opposed to having it read.
Alex
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, read-2018
Both the story and the dramatization are amazing. It was the first time I listened to a full-cast audiobook and I will definitely do so again, it was a great experience.
Chris
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This audiobook dramatization takes off at top speed and never looks back. I love Neil Gaiman stories and I love listening to James McAvoy's Scottish accent. I thoroughly enjoyed it!
  • Cabin Pressure Series 4
  • Torchwood: The House of the Dead
  • Doctor Who: Blood of the Daleks, Part 2
  • Doctor Who: Human Resources, Part Two
  • Doctor Who: The Chimes of Midnight
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Secondary Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #2)
  • Doctor Who: Horror of Glam Rock
  • Doctor Who: No More Lies
  • Torchwood: Submission
  • Doctor Who: Storm Warning
  • Doctor Who: Immortal Beloved
  • The Jane Austen BBC Radio Drama Collection: Six BBC Radio full-cast dramatisations
  • Doctor Who: The Light at the End
  • Rings, Swords, and Monsters: Exploring Fantasy Literature
  • Doctor Who: Seasons of Fear
  • Legendarium
  • Six Degrees of Assassination
  • METAtropolis: Cascadia
“What," asked Mr Croup, "do you want?"
"What," asked the Marquis de Carabas, a little more rhetorically, "does anyone want?"
"Dead things," suggested Mr Vandemar. "Extra teeth.”
18 likes