Start by marking “Prince S(Avalon Hall)” as Want to Read:
Prince S(Avalon Hall)

Read Book* *Different edition

Prince S

(Avalon Hall #1)

In the mountain kingdom of Fontanasia, Avalon Hall is born a girl, but secretly raised as a boy so the king will have a rightful heir to the throne. At fourteen, Avalon is a strong prince and wants only to become king when it is her time, but she is worried that as she gets older, it will be more difficult to conceal her gender. Avalon travels to the distant land of Cormic ...more
Published October 20th 2013 by Anita Renaghan

To ask other readers questions about Prince S, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prince S

Start your review of Prince S(Avalon Hall)
NoNo JoJo
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Pre-face: This is a voluntary review in exchange for a free digital copy of the book. This review will contain some spoilers about general plot points, character descriptions, and flow, but not anything specific.

Tl;dr: An okay read for young adults (10-14). Bland and inoffensive, but not terribly interesting. If you want standard fantasy fare without any deeper themes and don't mind a weak writing style, you might find this interesting - if not, give it a pass.

To begin with, if we could give hal
Trula Rae
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Trula by: goodreads
Anita Renaghan has given the world a fairy tale that will last through the ages. And what a unique tale it is. A baby girl, raised as a boy, that grows up to be King in the land of Fontanasia.

Queen Samantha died giving birth to ‘the next royal child’ and heir to the Kingdom of Fontanasia; Avalon. Queen Samantha’s only wish was to please the King with the birth of a boy child. The Queen’s faithful servant, Myra George, so loved the Queen that she passed the baby off as the boy King Birch so want
Jaidis Shaw
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway and was pleasantly surprised. The synopsis had me intrigued and I must admit that the cover gave me pause but I'm glad I entered the giveaway, and even more so that I won.

S. Avalon Hall was born a girl but in a time of desperation, she is presented as a boy so that there will be an heir to the throne. She is raised as a boy, spending her life training in both combat and politics, so that she may take over once she is of age. This causes a lot of conflict
Karah
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Anita Renaghan has brought a whole new world to life. The land of Fontanasia is unique in it's realistic, yet surprising atmosphere. Filled with a multitude of landscapes and interesting creatures. Fontanasia is not your average kingdom. A deep sense of magic is uncovered as the reader transcends worlds. The land is alone in it's world, but not without enemies.
The entire plot is fast paced with a steady stream of new thoughts and ideas. The journey enclosed sweeps you away into it's dramatic an
Kimberly
Sep 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: firstreads
I thought the title of this book was clever and I liked the characters. The story was entertaining and kept me interested. I know you can't judge a book by it's cover, but I think this book would sell better if the cover looked more professional. Overall a good read.
scribes23
review to come
Kylie
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hidden-gems
S. Avalon Hall was born a girl but has secretly been raised as a boy so there is a rightful heir to the throne after the passing of the Queen during childbirth. When Avalon turns 14, she must go out on a quest to find the Cormicks, a distant land of enemies, and learn where her people truly came from. On this journey alliances are questioned, acquaintances become life savers, strange and deadly creatures lurk about, magic is in the air and a plot to kill the King is evolving.

It took me awhile t
Jessica (JT)
The blurb about this book describes how a baby girl had to grow up as a boy in order to be the heir to the crown in a fantasy realm. I expected this to be crucial to the plot but it was not. She seemed to think about it constantly but it really had very little to do with the actual plot of the book. It just ended up being a pretty standard fantasy adventure novel.

(view spoiler)
Dianna
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I need to read book #2 STAT! Thats how much I loved this story (it got me from the very beginning tbh). I got pulled into the story. A friend doing a favor for a queen dying after giving birth to a girl (she was told it was a boy). That little lie goes further than it was intended and has to be kept a secret between the family (otherwise treason, which = death). Im not trying to give away too much. I cant fathom having to grow up pretending to be a boy and making everyone else think so too ...more
Georgina Makalani
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this story. It had me hooked right from the start with interesting characters and an intriguing premise. The story took unexpected twists that pulled me along.

Avalon, born a girl, is raised by her father as a boy - named a prince for the kingdom with very few knowing the secret. Being a prince is all she knows and all she wants to be.

Although I found all of the characters well rounded, by the end of the book I was a little frustrated by Avalon who had been raised to be king
Jessica
This book reminded me a little of the Protector of the Small Quartet (which I loved and which is why I thought I would love this one), but didn’t click with me the same way. I think perhaps I was outside the age range for it, as it seems it is for around 13 year olds and I am older than that. I was really hoping Avalon would take control and be a strong, independent woman, even with everyone assuming she was a man. I would have liked to see more independence and strength of her character. Instea ...more
Tamara
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She is always worried that someone knows she is not a boy.

Love this book and it is good for any age.

Have you ever thought what it would be like to be a girl that is raised as a boy? If the thought interests you, then you should follow the story of S. Avalon Hall, who is raised as a prince instead of a princess because her father saw her wrapped in a blue blanket the day she was born.

A must read to find out what secrets her family keeps to make sure the people of their country are happy and feel
Grant
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I won this book in a giveaway on Goodreads.

The premise seemed interesting in the blurb, but ultimately felt forced. The writing overall was reasonably good, but I just had a hard time getting into it.
Tena
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-goodread_wins
I won a kindle version #GoodreadsGiveaway
Sara
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this in a goodreads giveaway. I really enjoyed this book and will be reading the sequel soon.
Karen high Davis
I was pulled into this book almost immediately. Books with female heroine intrigue me. The only problem I had with this book was that it ended. The author did a great job keeping interest. I even had to talk about it to my husband. I will recommend this book to teenage students.
X
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

This book was an okay read, but there was nothing really engaging about it to me. There are too many stock characters and stock fantasy culture building elements and I don't feel like the author really explored those elements in a meaningful way. For example, it's stated that Fontanasia is a completely peaceful country where there's not even a need for prisons - if it's really so utopian, why is there a movement in place to change the monarchy to a democr
Sara
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prince Avalon has known for seven years - he is not a prince, but a princess. It leaves her removed from those around her in order to keep her secret, no friends other than her older sister. But now that she has reached adulthood, she is introduced into an even greater secret.

The idea that a princess is in hiding as a prince was rather interesting idea to me, and while this plays a good portion of the book, it wasn’t overwhelming. And thank goodness for small favors, there was little to none ro
Karen Castro
I think it was interesting, the topic, of raising a baby and lie about the gender was kind of interesting, makes you wonder what happen next. I do agreed the cover wasn't that good, i seriously, w honesty, think that the cover wasn't that good. An I didn't like the way that it was write in the book, every paragraph was close to the other, it didn't have space between them, And in the whole book you can only see like 7 space , I really didn't like it. It was like reading the bible, all the words ...more
Pam
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an easy read (for most adults...) that has a strong female lead. Prince S. Avalon Hall is the heir to the kingdom but only as long as she remains a he. There is a hint of magic with plenty of action.

SPOILERS!!

I was disappointed that we have a love interest in Taggerty but nothing happens with it. I also expected to have Avalon revel to at least one or two people the big secret but that did not happen. I wonder if Anita Renaghan is planning another book with these characters to answers t
Loranda
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Loranda by: Goodreads Giveaway
I knew the basis of the story from the description of the book so I can't say that I was surprised about Avalon's secret. I can say; however, that the grand adventure that ensues for this young girl/prince is a fantastic journey that kept me wanting to know what would happen next. This is a great fantasy piece for readers young and not-young alike. I look forward to book 2 and what happens next in Avalon Hall's life.
Maria Liz
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

14 year old Avalon has been raised as a a boy in order to be the heir of the kingdom, and protect it from those trying to take over.
It was a fun read. I liked that Avalon's need of having to pee in private was not ignored. It's something that is usually skipped over in stories where a girl hides as a boy.

By the way...what was up with Walthan's creepy winking???

Caroline Anastasia Mccaskill
Kristina
Oct 30, 2018
Erin
Jun 12, 2019

• The Reaping of the Black Grimoires (Kana Cold #1)
  • For Lila, Forever
  • Before the Broken Star (The Evermore Chronicles, #1)
  • North to Nara (Crimson Sash, #1)
  • Into the Hourglass (The Evermore Chronicles, #2)
  • Magic Destiny (Irish Rogue, #1)
  • Defiance Falls (Defiance Falls, #1)
  • Pepped Up (Pepper Jones, #1)
  • Dyno Dinosaur Family Christmas Adventures
  • What Fate Portends (The Frost Arcana #1)
  • An Arrangement (Summer in New York, #1)
  • Pepped Up & Ready (Pepper Jones, #3)
  • Hate the Game (Love Games #1)
  • Pushinka the Barking Fox: A True Story of Unexpected Friendship
  • Playbook - A Love Story
  • Survival (Earth Legacy Book 1)
  • How to Catch a Prince (Royal Wedding, #3)
  • Beauty and the Beak: How Science, Technology, and a 3D-Printed Beak Rescued a Bald Eagle
Born in Chicago in 1971 to a carpenter and housewife, Anita loved writing at a young age. Growing up in a Chicago suburb with her five siblings was a loud and adventurous time, and Anita was often found at the library reading her new favorite, or writing a poem or short story. Her high school English teacher presented the challenge of writing a novel, and that opened a door that would never close. ...more

Avalon Hall (2 books)
  • King Pawn (Avalon Hall, #2)