Start by marking “Judgment (Cassidy & Spenser, #1)” as Want to Read:
Judgment (Cassidy & Spenser, #1)

Judgment

(Cassidy & Spenser #1)

Carey Baldwin, author of the thrilling novel, Confession, returns with a new story featuring two of her most beloved characters. Fans of dark psychological suspense will devour this riveting story of rivals caught in a killer’s twisted web.

When a coed falls prey to a sadistic killer, forensic psychiatrist Dr. Caitlin Cassidy and Special Agent Atticus Spenser are called in
Published October 7th 2014 by Witness Impulse

To ask other readers questions about Judgment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Judgment

Start your review of Judgment (Cassidy & Spenser, #1)
Margitte
I can either do a clinical review or write down what I feel at this very moment. Oh, let me do both and get it over with.

Let's start with the emotional reaction. It scared the DNA out of my family tree. It had me jumping out of my own skin into another personality type. It had all the juices in my body curdling in my ear drums. It made my petrous bone shudder and shake. I almost did not make it, honest to God.

If you know Dr.Kay Scarpetta in Patricia Cornwell's psychological thrillers, and you
Mei
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Welcome into a perfect family! Would you like a cup of coffee or do you prefer tea?

What was really scary in this book is that the story is what you read often in newspapers…

(view spoiler)

I liked very much the way the story was told: at the same time it was fast and slow paced! It is very easy to read and to follow and I, as a Criminal Mind fan, loved hoe we are made to follow the reasoning to find a
Julie
Judgment by Carey Baldwin is a 2014 Witness Impulse publication. I was provided a copy of this book for review purposes by the publisher and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Jeepers! This book is the definition of psychological thriller. From the first page to the last I was riveted. I was completely immersed in this world, in Spence and Caitlin's investigation and their romance too. A tense, edge of your seat, vivid world of suspense with incredibly well drawn characters. It's dark
Jenny
Judgment is my first book I have read by Carey Baldwin. Judgement introduces two new crime fighters in FBI Special Agent Atticus Spenser, and Dr Caitlin Cassidy Forensic Psychiatrist who teamed up after Caitlin was involved in a shooting incident at the Phoenix Court House. Readers of Judgment will enjoy the twist and turns in the story and the conclusion to this book.

I like the way Carey Baldwin portrays her characters especially Atticus Spencer who has ADD. However, this did not stop him from
Ira
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I can guess who was the villain immediately
But still the why and the how were enjoyable reading.
I love the adorable hero and rather naive but intelligent heroine too.

I really like this book and will continue to the next one soon!
Thanks Mei who made want to read this fabulous book:)

I won't say much about the story though, it will ruin the mystery for you and I'm not that mean!:)
Cindy
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Two highly intelligent characters that fight for justice on opposite sides of the courtroom kickoff this new series.

We've briefly met forensic psychiatrist Dr. Caitlin Cassidy and FBI Special Agent
Atticus Spenser in a previous book and butting heads best describes how they are when they have to be in the same room. But when Spenser finds Caitlin lying in a pool of her own blood after a shooting at the courthouse we see that maybe there is more to those sparks that fly between them.

The
Eric
This is one of those books that I liked but wanted to like a lot more. Parts of the story are good and other parts missed the mark. At least, it did for me. It's almost written like a YA version of an adult crime thriller. The narrator of the audiobook I listened to did a decent job with the characters and story.

The book starts out with Caity as a child sitting in an observation room witnessing her father being executed for a brutal murder of a young woman. Her father's lawyer is sitting with
Pamela
Oct 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, reviewed
Once again I'm in the minority here when I say that I really did not like this novel. For a novel that's considered to be a suspenseful thriller, it's anything but. What it is? It's long-winded and boring. While it was easy to follow all the mysteries that were interwoven together, it seemed like the author created all these mini-stories to make the overall tone of the novel seem intriguing, to keep the reader guessing as to who the real mastermind is. I guess that's why she included an array of ...more
Jo Ann Reinhold
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an entirely enjoyable read. I love the growth of the characters throughout the book. The mystery was good but my favorite part was how Spence explained the steps of the investigation to Caitlin, teaching her how the process works and how to trust in him. There were parts where the writing seemed a little stiff but all in all I enjoyed the book and am hoping for another chance to read about Spence and Caitlin!
Thank you for Carey Baldwin!
Book Him Danno
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book for free on Amazon because it sounded interesting but soon found other books that took me away from this book. Monday I came across the book again and thought why not.

What kept me from reading this fast moving psychological thriller I have no idea.

From beinging to you the reader is pulled in so many different direction each one darker than the next until the reader and Dr. Cassidy are discovering the truth together.

Judgement is a captivating story that has everything a
Debbie Oxier
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
This was a very enjoyable read with complex characters and a suspenseful plot. Spense was particularly appealing because while completely dedicated to his job, determined and thorough, he is close to his mother and has a soft spot for Caity. There is nothing more he'd like than to become involved with her but he doesn't push, realizing she has a lot on her plate at the moment. That doesn't, however, keep him from protecting her when her life is in danger. Caity was more difficult to read as she ...more
Tulay
Sep 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suspenseful.

Fast paced suspenseful story, and some romance too. Caitlin wanted to prove that her father was innocent, wrongfully put to death in Arizona. Came face to face with sadistic person, read it and find out who wins this game!
KathyAnne
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-edelweiss
I loved Carey Baldwin's first thriller novel Confession so I couldn't wait to dive into her new one! She definitely has a knack for putting together the type of thriller that makes you cringe. The murder scenes in this story are violent and disturbing and probably not for anyone who may be sensitive to this type of content. The scenes kind of reminded me a little of the type of murders you would see in the show True Detective with Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson?? Just to give you an ...more
Dísir
I tried. Really did. Took it up, put it down, and took it up again and nearly gave up.

Apart from the very excellent beginning, I thought 'Judgement' devolved into a crime mystery bogged down by red herrings, narrative-merry-go-rounds and wooden chemistry that was mostly put to a halt by a heroine whose single-minded determination became odious stubbornness and hypocrisy somewhere along the way - an irony considering her profession as a profiler. Romance plays a very small hand in the story in
Linda
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I received a copy of Judgment from the author in exchange for an honest review. Honestly? I loved this book! The author kept me guessing. There were a lot of twists and turns to this story, and I love when that happens. This was a great murder mystery/thriller with intelligent dialog and plot, likable lead characters, fast-paced action, and on-the-edge-of-my-seat suspense. Spense and Caity need to work together to catch a murderer who nearly takes Caity's life in the process. In the past, they ...more
Lorrie
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Caity Cassidy's father had been convicted of and executed for a murder she knew in her heart he didn't commit. After an attempt on her own life years later, she (now a psychiatrist), joins forces with FBI Special Agent Spenser (Spense) to try to find out the perpetrator behind her murder attempt and several others that succeeded. In the meantime, her feelings about her father's innocence propel her into trying to clear her father's name.

Both Caity and Spense are likeable characters and together
Black Butterfly
May 23, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: AMAZON
I REALLY DIDN’T CARE FOR THE WRITING STYLE, THE STORY LINE WAS WORD PACKED WITH UNNECESSARY OVER DESCRIPTIVE WORDS AND DETAIL. THIS MADE THE STORY DRAG, SORT OF CONFUSING AT TIMES THE CHARACTERS WERE ODD AND FLAT. I TRIED TO LIKE THE H/h BUT COULDN’T THEY WERE SUPPOSE TO HAVE A BUDDING ROMANCE BUT I DID NOT FEEL ANY CHEMISTRY. THE POLICE AND FBI WERE SORT OF DUMB IT TOOK THEM TOO LONG TO DISCOVER THE OBVIOUS. I THINK THE BOOK MIGHT HAVE BEEN BETTER IF THE LENGTH HAD BEEN SHORTER. TOO TALKY! ;(
Monica Pulliam
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
o.m.g.

I was pulled in from the Prologue alone. But I could not put this book down. I love the Criminal Minds, and this book could be one of those stories, no lie. It had everything to keep you on the edge of your seat. I normally read books with more romance, but I have to say this story had so much going on with several law agencies working together that I didn't miss a big romance. This was gritty, and a little scary, but I recommend it highly. I will most certainly read more from Carey. I
Quillracer
About average for a romantic-suspense novel, but the suspense part was much larger than the romance.

The serial killer was a surprise but not of the ‘Where did that come from?’ variety. Clues were planted fairly but with enough subtlety for the reader to make some wrong assumptions.

Romantic-suspense novels are not at the top of my to-read list but this one was good enough that I’ll read more if they come my way.
Inishowen Cailín
I loved this book!
It has just the right amount of suspense and romance. I loved the two characters Caitlin and Spenser and I will definitely read this series just to see their relationship blossom.
On the suspense side, the story is fast paced, dark, riveting and difficult to put down.
I can't wait for more in the series.

The author very kindly provided me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Louise Pledge
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Either Carey Baldwin is brilliant or has done an awfully lot of research to write this (I suspect both). An interesting chemistry is found between the two main characters (Caity and Spense), and I want to see more of them! The story features some evil people, but which is the most evil (the mastermind)? You just might be surprised!
Marti
Jul 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here we have a victim, still recovering, teaming up with an able police officer to hunt down "The Man in the Maze," and bring his gang to justice. Caity--what is with these weird names--would like to find out who framed her father years ago. Spense is an excellent partner. More victims show up. A little too pat.
Manda Collins
An outstanding example of thriller mixed with romance with a strong heroine and a hero to die for! Baldwin manages to handle multiple threads of narrative wit ease and leads the reader on a pulse-pounding adventure from the first page to the last. I can't wait for Caity and Spense's next adventure. Proud to call Carey my friend. ...more
Monica Pulliam
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book in Carey's new series about forsenics and serial killers. Not stop action and the story gripped me and held on until the end.

Will continue reading this series and recommend it highly!!
Sonya Miller
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Judgment. It grabs you from the first page and doesn't let go. I didn't catch on to "who done it" until right as she was disclosing it to the reader. I recommend this book if you enjoy and good murder mystery.
Carmen Pacheco
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
A chilling thriller written intelligently and passionately. Spenser and Caitlyn collaborate brilliantly to bring justice. Looking forward to their personal celebration! ;) Carey Baldwin's work is awesome!
Diana Belchase
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous, fast paced book that really delivers!
Tonya Hodgson
This book is really probably a 3.5. Not sure why I rounded down instead of up. As a deceive story it works pretty well. You have forensic psychologist Caitlin Cassidy who was scared by her fathers conviction and death sentence when she was a child. She has made it her life goal to see that others aren't railroaded into confessions. The hero is Atticus Spenser who is an FBI profiler. They are aquatinted because they often testify against each other. Throw in some romantic banter, dead bodies ...more
Kylie
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So let me preface this with saying that I kinda got suckered into buying this book. I get daily emails with free/cheap books and "Stolen" was one of those books. Needless to say it's book FOUR! Sigh. So even though Carey is a new to me author, I took a leap of faith and purchased Judgement for $.99... and let me tell you, it's so worth it.

Caitlin faces a tragedy unlike any other I've ever read, on her 18th Birthday and it dictates the way she leads her life from there. Her choices lead her right
Peggy
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I started and stopped reading this book 3 times. Each time I thought about not finishing it, but made myself. It isn't a bad book, it is very mediocre. Caitlyn is a criminal psychologist specializing in the mind of killers. This is because she witnessed her father's execution for a brutal rape and murder. Caity can't believe her father guilty, so she has made it her life work to understand true killers. Agent Spenser is an FBI agent who spends as much time solving crime as he does thinking about ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Fiction Fanatics: November 2017 - Judgement 7 11 Nov 23, 2017 04:36PM

• Cold Heart Creek (Detective Josie Quinn #7)
  • Welcome to Paradise (The Kincaids, #1)
  • Dead Cold (Emily Stone, #6)
  • Break the Silence (Detectives Kane and Alton, #7)
  • Scorched (Tracers #6)
  • Expire (Dr. Schwartzman #4)
  • Silenced (Lucy Kincaid, #4)
  • The Cutting (McCabe & Savage Thriller, #1)
  • The Good Life Crisis (A Victor Loshak Thriller #1.5)
  • The Assassin (Harry Starke Genesis #3)
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9, Wolfe Security, #0.5)
  • The Christmas Challenge (The Wilder Brothers #3)
  • Hide and Seek (Criminal Profiler #1)
  • Christmas in Darling Bay
  • Dead Center (The Rookie Club #1)
  • The Unbreakable Curse (Accursed Archangels, #1)
  • Stone Cold Heart (Tracers #13)
  • Exposed (Tracers #7)
GREAT NEWS! JUDGMENT, the first book in my Cassidy & Spenser Thriller series, has been named one of the "BEST BOOKS of 2014" by SUSPENSE MAGAZINE.

Both JUDGMENT & CONFESSION are BOOKSELLERS BEST AWARD Finalists
JUDGMENT is a DAPHNE DU MAURIER AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN MYSTERY/SUSPENSE Finalist and a SILVER FALCHION finalist.

Carey Baldwin is a mild-mannered doctor by day and an award-winning

Cassidy & Spenser (5 books)
  • Fallen (Cassidy & Spenser, #2)
  • Notorious (Cassidy & Spenser, #3)
  • Stolen (Cassidy & Spenser, #4)
  • Countdown (Cassidy & Spenser #5)