Start by marking “Brand Sense: Build Powerful Brands through Touch, Taste, Smell, Sight, and Sound” as Want to Read:

Draws on a large-scale study of how the five senses impact brand creation to outline the author's six-step program for twenty-first-century sensory branding, citing the examples of such companies as Cadillac, Disney, and Louis Vuitton to explain how to es
Title: Brand Sense
Author: Lindstrom, Martin/ Kotler, Philip (FRW)
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publication Date: 2005/02/01
Number of Pages:/>Number/>Publication/>Publisher:/>Author:/>Title:
Published February 10th 2005 by Free Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Brand Sense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brand Sense

Start your review of Brand Sense: Build Powerful Brands through Touch, Taste, Smell, Sight, and Sound
Zhi Jian
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Chapter 1
Types of Branding Proposition

There are currently 6 types of branding proposition.
1. Unique Selling Proposition (USP)
No two products are alike.
Occurs in 1950s.

2. Emotional Selling Proposition (ESP)
Products were perceived as different primarily because of an emotional attachment. (Similar brands are perceived as different primarily because of an emotional attachment, eg Pepsi and Coke)
Occurs in 1960s.

3. Organizational
Miljana
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The best branding book I have read so far. The last 2 - 3 chapters were kind of dull, repetetive but the book is very good. It inspired me to come up with a 5D branding strategy for a travel agency. Thanks, Lindstrom.
shanghao
A light smooth read, but not much different from his other book that I'd read previously (that was more novel for its time). Also, at points he seemed to be so adamant on his own views that he tried to fit data into his theories.

And I don't really agree with his views on some of the brands, such as Nokia or Singapore Airlines. Seemed to me he was just blowing the trumpets of the products that he's using.
Minah
Nov 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Ad people had sort of the same initial thoughts in late 1990's and early 2000's. I have been so into 5 sensory environmental experience with new technology for empowering brands. It's very good organized thoughts with practical evidences and researches.
Ronald
Jul 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
I wasn't impressed. Very repetitive and not very insightful. The Cliff Notes version would have been better.
Aditya Maheshwari
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is indeed a magnificent book describing the factors that affect in building a Brand. As we all are aware that Product is in the hand whereas Brand is in the mind. The most memorable brands in the future will be those that not only anchor themselves in the traditions but also adopt religious characteristics. The impact of sound also helps in building a brand. The best examples are Intel, Airtel and Reliance. Smell is connected to memory and sound is connected to mood. Sound in fact creates moo ...more
Diana Ram
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great, but it needs a slight update.
Nura Yusof
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book because it was endorsed by Philip Kotler and The Wall Street Journal. And the fact that Martin Lindstrom is a renowned marketing guru. The WSJ hailed it to be “one of the five best marketing books ever published”. Was curious about this and I did some Googling.

Turns out that it was one of 5 books that Steve Cone (senior marketing executive at Citigroup and the author of "Steal These Ideas: Marketing Secrets That Will Make You a Star" ) thought was the best. See the
William Blair
This looked like it was going to be interesting to read, along the lines of pop psychology, and it was short enough and the dust jacket blurb was interesting enough that I figured it would be good for an evening or two.

But what the book turned out to be was essentially an advertisement for the services offered by the author's company. And some of his ideas are truly strange (to me).

But a small portion of the book was interesting, along the lines of the history of advertising and how it works (
Doug
Nov 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
Offers neat insights into what goes into a brand and their efforts to make their brands more engaging and immersive to consumers. One thing that gives me pause is that the book seems to regard religion as the ultimate brand experience, complete with logos, rituals that engage all five senses, and a source of identity and well-being to its adherents. It seems that this book is great at explaining techniques for how to create a mystique around a brand, but I don't think any product is going to del ...more
Janice
Great case studies on branding to the senses. Sensory perception, sensory touch, sensory memories. Some background in cognitive and behavioral psychology, but a bit of a stretch. I believe in sensory branding, but could Abercrombie please stop with the in-store smell? It's nauseating. Did you know bakeries in France (and elsewhere around the world) have oven stacks that extend to the front windows, hence the awesome fresh-baked baguettes smell to lure ya in.
Asher Wen
Had a point. Spent whole 200 pages hammering the point home.

It was a good point, though I wish there were better insights rather than repeated brand examples and broad strokes that seem to assume that all brands need to do to succeed was incorporate more senses into their communications.

It's telling that some exemplars are now facing financial woes, e.g. Nokia.
Jacqueline Del fa
In my opinion one of his best books. I even liked it better than Buyology. Would recommend to anyone who loves marketing. It is amazing how our five senses are crucial for choosing/buying products and services.
Caroline
Feb 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Had to read this book for one of my grad school classes. Interesting premise and some valid points, but Lindstrom spends 150+ pages talking about things that could have been covered in 50. Nevertheless, it's an easy and semi-entertaining read overall.
Serdar
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Lindstrom's book opens your eyes for other sensual touchpoints between the brands and the consumers. The book gives detailed examples and elaborates on how brands use other sensual feelings to connect with consumers.
Rebecca McNutt
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was really interesting and insightful, diving into the corporate world of sensory influence. Bringing up brands like Disney, Kodak and McDonald's and how they use the tool of sensory persuasion, Brand Sense is a great book for any consumer or shopper to read.
Dana
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
so cool. Nokia is taking over - and smell, as the sense most associated with memory, could someday be puffed out of your computer screen. Imagine a 3-d printer that makes smells instead. I smell a really cool sci-fi concept coming on...
Adam Wiggins
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up
Argues that branding should be more than just copywriting, logos, and colorschemes: instead, engage all senses. "New car smell" is one example.

Reasonable enough, but I got bored at 18% (page 38 / 156).
Carla
Jul 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: inner-economist
Not as good as "Buyology" or "Brainwashed", maybe because it's a little bit older. It was also quite repetitive in some parts. I loved the ideas and concepts behind, though.
Daniel Proctor
Aug 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting with lots of insight but as with other books from Lindstrom, there seemed to be far too much repartition.
Tee
Sep 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Lots of fun facts; it's a nice read.
Tiago Soares
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Good book, but you don't need to read much more than the first two chapters.
Susanna Mtz
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
The author says the same things again and again.
DANIEL GHANIME
You will never look at your brand the same...
Jamie Dsilva
Its an interesting take on branding! Helpful when you plan to launch your product in an advertisement saturated, visually bombarded world!
Roxana
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting book.
Kaloyan Roussev
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
An ok branding book. Wouldnt recommend it to anyone when they can read Al Ries and Jack Trout and learn everything they need.
Sandra Jeffs
I love this and have incorporated it into my recent business model.
Phil Fox
Jan 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
An interesting look at how one can improve brand recall beyond simple logos and slogans.
Ivalu
Aug 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Very similar to Buyology, but I think I preferred this one...? I don't remember. Good stuff still.

• Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping
  • Eugene Onegin
  • Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
  • Our Iceberg Is Melting: Changing and Succeeding Under Any Conditions
  • Contagious: Why Things Catch On
  • Waiting for Your Cat to Bark?: Persuading Customers When They Ignore Marketing
  • The Start-Up of You: Adapt to the Future, Invest in Yourself, and Transform Your Career
  • Bang!: Getting Your Message Heard in a Noisy World
  • Call of the Mall: The Geography of Shopping
  • The Little Blue Book of Advertising: 52 Small Ideas That Can Make a Big Difference
  • Socialnomics: How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business
  • Welcome To Shirley
  • MILITARY BRATS: Legacies of Childhood Inside the Fortress
Martin Lindstrom (born 1970) is the author of the bestseller Buyology - Truth and Lies About Why We Buy (Doubleday Business, division of Random House). Lindstrom is also a public speaker and the founder of a number of organizations including Buyology Inc. Prior to founding his consultancy, Lindstrom was working as an advertising agency executive at BBDO. TIME magazine named Lindstrom as one of the world' ...more
“The sensory branding of the Singapore Girl reached its zenith by the end of the 1990s, when Singapore Airlines introduced Stefan Floridian Waters.” 1 likes
“As you might imagine, our brains are adept at filtering out irrelevant information. Emotion gets out attention through our senses-which then influence out decision-making processes. Brands that create an emotional connection to consumers are much stronger than those that don't- it's as simple (and complicated) as that.” 0 likes