Start by marking “Baby Bedtime” as Want to Read:
Baby Bedtime

Baby Bedtime

A lullaby to babies everywhere, Baby Bedtime is a lyrical tribute to the love inspired by the little people in our lives.

This enchanting read-aloud story combines the talents of Australia's premier picture-book writer, Mem Fox, author of Possum Magic and Where is the Green Sheep?, and acclaimed illustrator Emma Quay, creator of Rudie Nudie and Not a Cloud in the Sky.
32 pages
Published October 2013 by Penguin

Erika
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, picture-books
This was a hit at Book Babies today! I love this book because parents and caregivers can follow along by tickling babies' toes, touching their nose, etc. while reading it out loud.
June
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: bed time requests
I am always looking for simple stories for my lap time. This does body parts, rocking, whispering, stroking, singing, patting, and finally kissing good night.
Ashley
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Smooth and light rhymes that will delight at bedtime.
Luisa Knight
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Doesn't get much sweeter than this! Sure to get an "awww" out of each mother.

Ages: 2 - 4

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Amanda
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
A mama and baby elephant doing their bedtime routine. The illustrations are so sweet. Nice story to read right before bed.
Ang
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this at Babytime.
Ann Santori
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Really simple, with nice soft illustrations that look like chalk drawings. Good for a single parent family.
Sarah's Storytime
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: toddler, baby-lapsit
Toddler and Baby selection
Elizabeth Moreau Nicolai
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby-storytime
Mem Fox is always a great choice for baby storytime. Our babies and parents loved the motions suggested by this gentle storytime book.
Gwen Ayler
Storytime Theme: Sleep
Villain E
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
"I could eat your little ears
I could nibble on your nose
I could munch your tiny fingers
I could gobble up your toes"

So creepy.

(Also, elephants don't have fingers.)
Olivia Slykhuis
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is simple, but so sweet. I love the illustrations of the baby elephant. A rhyming bedtime book for little ones. Really lovely. Might use for a bedtime books display? 2+
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bouncing-babies
Good for baby program at my library.
Sarah Harvey
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it

Fox, M., & Quay, E. (2013) (n.d.). Baby bedtime. New York. Beach Lane Books.

There are all kinds of comforting things, like snuggling, singing and nibbling a little nose, a parent does with their little one before they put them to sleep. This book will help all those little ones get ready for bed, and parents reading this book to older children, will remember all those nostalgic "bedtime routines" they used to do.

This book, though probably intended for pre-k, could be used in a kindergarten c
Kim
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Soft acrylic illustrations in purple, blues, and yellows, accompany this sweet Mem Fox text about a mother elephant putting her baby elephant to bed. Such lines as, "I can gobble up your toes," and "I could gaze at you all night," add to the authentic feel of this loving nightly routine between mother and child. Toddler and preschoolers will love to listen to this book especially if the caregiver acts it out with them. In the end, Mama Elephant tucks in her adorable young one with, "a kiss upon ...more
Barbara
A robe-wearing elephant--it could be a mother or a father--whispers various sweet nothings into a baby elephant as they prepare for bed. The soothing, fluent text and the softly colored illustrations, created with pencil, acrylic paints, and Photoshop, highlight plenty of nurturing as the baby is kissed, hugged, patted, stroked, and even read to before both fall asleep. Perfect for sharing as a bedtime story, this picture book reminds readers of those tender and memorable moments shared with fam ...more
Jj
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well, it's not like they didn't already have me at "baby elephant" and "Mem Fox", but this one is a gem. Sweet little bedtime rhyme with baby elephant and an adult, and fantastic illustrations (Emma Quay! Please know that you have fans in the US!!!). It very deftly avoids defining the adult as mother or father or even as parent, which is nice and leaves the door open for all kinds of family and living arrangements that kids find themselves in.
Jenna
A bit too repetitious in writing but still managed to be lyrical while doing so. Cute pastel feeling to the illustrations. A fun bedtime book and it allowed the parents to interact with their babies and attempt to nibble.

I could eat your little ears.
I could nibble on your nose.
I could munch your tiny fingers.
I could gobble up your toes.
Kelsey
Age: Baby-Toddler
Animal: Elephants

Fox captures the beautiful moment when a caregiver dotes on his/her child just before bedtime. Sure, it's been done before, but the simple, short text has just the right playfulness and sentimentality that caregivers will immediately relate and play along with the text without rolling their eyes.
Chacha Centeno
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime, elephants
Mem Fox and Emma Quay capture the love between a parent and their newborn baby. From falling in love with their little nose to becoming mesmerized by their toes, readers will feel the sense of wonderment many parents experience when gazing at their newborn child. Reading this story brought fond memories of my little guy, brand new and cooing. It is such a sweet story.
Samantha
Reads like a bedtime prayer in which a mother elephant puts her little one to bed with sweet sentiments that invoke the 5 senses and many body parts.

Pencil, acrylic, and mixed media artwork utilizes a muted color palette which is perfectly soothing for bedtime. Good read aloud for toddlers.
Sara Grochowski
I adore this charming bedtime story from Mem Fox and Emma Quay. Simple text ("I could eat your little ears. I could nibble on your nose.") create a soothing rhythm, while the soft color palette and sweet illustrations exude warmth and comfort. Recommended.
Maggie
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby-story-times
Sweet bedtime story, perfect for babies. The parent narrates the story--perfect for a storytime on talking as an early literacy practice; pair with another book where the parent narrates the story to the child.
Katrina Dombrowsky
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Love this simple, sweet lullaby of a story. The soft crayon drawings of mama and baby elephant are adorable and pair well with the layered, mixed media style of the background and objects around them.
Peggy
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
A mother elephant prepares her baby elephant for bed very lovingly. Simple, soft pictures in soft bedtime blues are a perfect accompaniment to the simple text.
Danica Midlil
Sweet quiet little book. Wonderfully round and plump elephants
Deanna Genova
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-selection
I thought this was a cute bedtime story for mothers to read to their children. I liked the illustration a lot, it was very unique with soft colors.
Heather
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amelia
A lovely bedtime book - I adored the story and enjoyed the illustrations. Will be our nightly read before putting baby to sleep.
Michelle (FabBookReviews)
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it

So simple, so tender and so lovely! The softness of the illustrations are a great accompaniment to the text.
Maggie
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well done bedtime book to share with little ones.
  • Good Night Like This
  • The Biggest Kiss
  • A Perfect Place for Ted
  • Yawn
  • Baby Parade
Mem Fox was born in Australia, grew up in Africa, studied drama in England, and returned to Adelaide, Australia in 1970, where she has lived with her husband, Malcolm, and daughter Chloë, happily ever after.

Mem Fox is Australia’s most highly regarded picture-book author. Her first book, Possum Magic, is the best selling children’s book ever in Australia, with sales of over three million. And in th