Start by marking “The Mesmerized” as Want to Read:
The Mesmerized

The Mesmerized

It is silence, not screams of terror, which proclaims the end of the world…

Minji Nordim is vacationing in Las Vegas with her small family when she witnesses the beginning of a terrifying apocalypse. When humanity is transformed into mindless drones by a terrifying supernatural event only Minji appears to be immune.

Thousands die instantly, but the other affected people are
Published September 2nd 2014 by Permuted Press

To ask other readers questions about The Mesmerized, please sign up.
Rhiannon Frater She's a married woman trying to save her husband. In that regard there is romance.

Glass
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: girl-power
Rhiannon Frater is a a lady who writes the most kick-ass heroines: they are fearless, smart, loyal and strong. True girl power stories. But also, this author is known by her action packed stories about apocalypse and zombies: As the World Dies trilogy is a must read for anyone who claims to be fan of The Walking Dead.

Her latest novel, The Mesmerized, follows that same premise - Minji is a wife and a mother of two little girls who find herself in completely crazy situation during family vacati
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
This book was so much better than I imagined it would be at the beginning. Yes it is scary, gory, suspenseful, with excellent world building, and well written characters. More importantly, it was touching. I wasn't expecting to be moved to tears but I was. My only disappointment was it ended. I really wanted more.
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
This book was so freakin' emotional --- touched so many heart strings.

If you are looking for a book that will keep you on the edge of your seat with your palms sweating and your heart racing...this is the book for you!
Heidi
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Four and a half stars: A riveting and terrifying apocalyptic tale with a twist.

Minji corals her precocious five year old daughter, Ava, while she waits for her husband to return with their infant daughter, Bailey. The family is finishing up their vacation in Las Vegas and looking forward to doing some sight seeing today. As they head out of The Venetian Casino, something terrifying happens. An inexplicable wave of pain hits everyone, causing blindness, immobility and for some bleeding and death
Amy Fournier
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This totally rocked. Review coming closer to release date.
Michelle
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: can-t-wait
Lorre
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I always look forward to read something new by Rhiannon Frater cause she's an excellent writer who has a knack of pulling you into the story from the start and make you care about the charachter.

The Mesmerized is no different! Brilliant story, amazing charachters, lot's of suspence... I just loved Minji, the main charachter! She is a kickass, confident charachter who will do anything to keep her family safe until she can help them get out of this weird mesmerized state.

Melissa Gouveia
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
O-M-G this book rocked!! Mystery, intrigue, death, action and aliens all wrapped up tightly with a bow made of the love between mother & child. Another kick ass heroin who's inner strength saves the day. I'm so completely drawn to this authors work based solely on her ability to create characters that you can easily connect with. Solid 5 stars!
Abigail
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book hit me right between the eyes and kept smacking me around till I became it’s bitch. Because of my experience reading a few of her other books, I knew it was going to be well written, dark, and full of incredibly painted characters, but I did not expect to be sitting here at the end of it all with my mouth hanging open and my mind officially blown away. Rhiannon Frater presents The Mesmerized, a genre bundt cake of dark post-apocalyptic horror with a rich frosting of science fiction.

As
Christy LoveOfBooks
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, read-in-2014

I’ve loved everything I’ve read by Rhiannon Frater so far, and The Mesmerized is no exception.

The Mesmerized takes us on a chilling journey with Minji, who just wanted to enjoy her Las Vegas vacation with her family. But it all goes to shit when the masses of people either drop dead or become mesmerized and start walking in the same direction – sometimes falling to their death. Talk about vacation from hell! Especially since her own loved ones are affected.

I don’t really find zombies, vampir
Mary
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Mesmerized is the most recent published novel from Rhiannon Frater and it does not disappoint. While reading I was reminded of books like The Stand and Under the Dome by Stephen King and movies like The Happening from M. Night Shyamalan.

Minji, our main character, is a wife and mother who will do what it takes to protect her family. She is tough, smart and doesn't back down. She and her family are visiting Las Vegas when people are suddenly stricken - bleeding and becoming unresponsive. Minji
Rhiannon Frater
Apr 08, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-wrote-it
I have enough distance from the book to read it. It takes about a year for me to forget a large chunk of the story, so I get to be entertained. Since I write the books I want to read, it's always fun to go back with fresh eyes. I gotta say...I'm proud of this one. I was pretty ill when I wrote it, but I think I did a solid job.
☕️Kimberly
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: backlist-2019
Creepy, end of world science fiction. RTC
Beth  (YA Books Central)
"It is silence,
not screams of terror,
which proclaims the end of the world…"

I mean how can you not want to read this book after reading that sentence?? Seriously!!! Even if I had not already known that Rhiannon Frater is a phenomenal writer....that one sentence would have made me pick this book up!!!!

Rhiannon Frater is the author who first introduced me to zombies. I had been in an serious book slump and someone had posted online that I should read As The World Dies by Rhiannon Frater....so I
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Rhiannon Frater is fast becoming one of my favorite authors because her horror novels are on point. Most of the books I’ve read from her are more gothic in nature, and only a few were purely creepy sci-fi so when the opportunity to read this came I jumped on it. I had a taste of what was to come and I couldn’t wait to devour the whole book (which I did in about two days).

The Mesmerized puts a really interesting spin on a ‘zombie’ idea. Inside of dead walking about trying to eat whatever moves, w
Simone
Oct 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: baixado
A interesting story that felt stretched, almost like a short story that keeps going beyond what is necessary. I think it could become a great movie.
Darlene
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I really enjoyed listening to this book. Of course it doesn't hurt that it's narrated by Cassandra Campbell who is one of the best narrators in the industry. She breathes life into each and every story she narrates.

This book is about the end of the world. A supernatural event occurs and except for a few the majority of people go into a mesmerized state. One that doesn't is one of the main characters Minji. She's strong and fearless. Not scared to fight to the end to protect her family. This was
Stéphanie
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, science-fiction, own
I’ve been a fan of Rhiannon Frater ever since I read her As the World Dies zombie apocalypse trilogy a few years back. THE MESMERIZED may not be my favorite novel of hers but the writing is on par with her other books. In this novel, the apocalypse has arrived in a weird plague like storm but instead of zombies, most of the population become entranced, or mesmerized, and start walking in one direction, as if they had only one purpose but no control over their body. They become mindless shells wh ...more
C.T. Phipps
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
The Mesmerized is a horror novel by Rhiannon Frater, author of such fun works as Pretty When She Dies and The Tale of the Vampire Bride. Much as with other works in her bibliography, it stars a female heroine who is highly competent and slightly outlier from the rest of society. In this case, Minji is a good deal more integrated into society than the typical Frater-heroine in that she's "only" a Korean American tattoo artist mother of two.

The premise is basically a take on the zombie apocalyps
Kim Smiley
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED the zombie apocalypse trilogy from this author and this book did not disappoint me with the storyline either.

Minji, her 5 yr. old daughter Ava, 10 mo. old daughter Bailey and husband Jake are all on vacation in Las Vegas. With both of their parents just departed, they're deciding what to do with their day. That's when all hell breaks loose. It started with an excruciating headache, so bad it caused blindness and rendered them nauseous. After the first episode, pandemonium had broken out
Parneet Sekhon
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
What if you were the only person left? What if among thousands of living-but-not-conscious people, you were the only sane one? Yet? The author takes this question and sculpts into a novel full of willpower, fear, action and a young mother's feelings.

By the end of the first chapter, I was intrigued. The writing was very detailed, each scene elaborately described. Although, sometimes the details were more overwhelming than the state of the situation. This provoked temptation to skip over some sent
Jessica
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
While I felt it was easy to figure our where the book was heading The Mesmerised initially had me thinking this would be a zombie book similar to what I had previously read by Rhiannon. I found myself quite taken with the second half of the book, not wanting to put it down. In fact I quite loved it and I think this is because of the ending which I thought was simply perfect. The beginning had a quite disturbing build up with more and more people becoming mindless drones all heading off together ...more
Cheryl
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“No one hurts my kids,” she hissed as Arthur gaped up at her. “No one!”

Loved, loved this book. First of all, there's the protagonist - tattoo artist Minji Nordim. Inked up, sporting purple dreads, Minji is one tough MOTHER. Throughout the story, she uses her skills and inner toughness to protect her incapacitated husband and her two little girls.

But, not only is this a story of a mother lion protecting her cubs, it is one kick ass monster story. Starting in Las Vegas (and where else should a kil
Christoffer Lernö
Jan 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Like Dead Spots, Frater is sojourning into more of a normal horror story in the vein of King / Koontz here.

The basic progression of the story is not uncommon - a person re-discovering their inner strength. In many ways it's reminiscent of her As the World Dies trilogy.

As usual, the prose is ok but not exceptional - but the story is well crafted.

Compared to Dead Spots (which was the latest book I read from Frater), this story is shorter and tighter, which both has its advantages and disadvantages
Carlie
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Why is she immune and what is going on with her daughter? The Mesmerized at first glance is a story of trying to travel instantaneously from point to point and opening a dimension with nasty consequences. The story is fascinating and makes for a fast read. I like the story. What makes it different is the location and mystery of why it is happening and why they are marching, all of which is exciting. When you get into the why of the story it does remind you of filmed works from Philadelphia Exper ...more
Richelle
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Absolutely amazing book!
I could not put it down .. And I could not stop reading ... I couldn't read it fast enough!
So much action!
I was on the edge of my seat the entire book!
I loved the ending .. But loved the epilogue even more ... My mind is officially blown!

I totally recommend this book !
Thank you Rhiannon Frater for another Amazing read !! To many many more !!! There are no books out there that even come remotely close to touching how amazing your books are !
My #1 all time favorite author !
Ian Manton
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Due to work and lots of interruptions this book took me longer to read than usual. Something I found frustrating as I was quickly sucked into the story, the situation and the twists of this book .

The author has done it again. She again creates main characters with substance, people you can believe in, and places them in a well thought out environment facing a situation than she makes plausible.

I am not going to our line the story in anyway, but if you like your scifi and survival stories. You a
Fiona Brichaut
3.5 stars. I think Frater's zombie series As the World Dies is fantastic and one of my top three Z stories so I had high hopes for this. Maybe that's why I was a bit disappointed. Yeah it has a strong female main character, but she's a bit of a cliché. And trailing her husband around with her was just clumsy. Sure, he helped demonstrate her commitment to her family but he took up a lot of unnecessary space. Frater can do, and has done, much better than this. Check out As the World Dies.
Katyana
Holy crap.

This was so good! I didn't know anything about this book - literally, at all - because the friend who rec'd it said it was amazing, but that letting it unfold at its own pace was critical. And I totally agree.

So I'm not going to say much aside from this: holy crap. It was such a well-executed, thrilling, apocalyptic story with compelling characters and a gripping arc.

Read this. Now.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • State of Decay: Omnibus
  • Soul Cutter
  • Golden Dunes of Renhala (Renhala, #2)
  • The Savage Principle (#3)
  • Odium 1.5 (The Dead Saga, #1.5)
  • Induction (Time of Death, #1)
  • The Unseen
  • Smoke and Mirrors (Blood and Light Vampire, #2)
  • Deadland's Harvest (Deadland Saga, #2)
  • Contagious Chaos (The Contagium #3)
  • Dead: Reborn (Dead, #7)
  • State of Chaos (Collapse, #2)
  • Rise
  • Solstice
  • Bailing Out into the Dead (The Famished Trilogy 0.5)
  • Disarming (The Vampires of Vegas, #2)
Rhiannon Frater is the award-winning author of the As the World Dies zombie trilogy (Tor) as well as independent works such as The Last Bastion of the Living (declared the #1 Zombie Release of 2012 by Explorations Fantasy Blog and the #1 Zombie Novel of the Decade by B&N Book Blog).

She was born and raised in Texas where she currently resides with her husband and furry children (a.k.a pets).

S