Start by marking “Goodnight Brew: A Parody for Beer People” as Want to Read:
Goodnight Brew: A Parody for Beer People

Goodnight Brew: A Parody for Beer People

It’s closing time at the brewery. While the moon rises, the brewery crew—including three little otters (in charge of the water), a wort hog, and a hops wildebeest—introduce us to the brewing equipment, ingredients, and styles of beer. Join this fanciful crew as they close down for the evening and say goodnight to the brew kettle, barley and yeast, hops and mash, saison, po ...more
Published September 23rd 2014 by Bailiwick Press

To ask other readers questions about Goodnight Brew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodnight Brew

Briana Lyons
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You all know how I feel about beer ❤ ...more
Jacob
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If I had had a human child, I'd read this book to him every night before bed.
Jaimie
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Found this at a bar. Perfect light reading, cheers 🍻.
Ashley
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
27. Found this book in an Estes Park brewery. It’s great for anyone who likes beer and how it’s made. I don’t think it should be kept from kiddo readers like its label suggest.
Kyle
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: beer lovers
Before I begin, I won this book as part of the goodreads first reads program - I promise that it won't have any bearing on my review.

With that out of the way, this book is exactly what you think it is. It's Goodnight Moon set in a brewery. And while the original can be read on multiple layers - the rabbit refuses to go to bed before he says goodnight to everything; the book is a simple way to teach children about death and how it's not something to be afraid of; the rabbit learns about the trans
Sue
A cute parody of a popular children’s story.

I received this book as part of a Goodreads “First Reads” contest giveaway. It is a picture book (or “pitcher” book as the author refers to it) for grown-ups that parodies the “Goodnight Moon” children’s story. In it, the brewery occupants are saying goodnight to all the beer-making equipment and ingredients. There are charming illustrations throughout, including my favorite the “hops wildebeest” that wears an “I heart IPA” t-shirt.

This book is very sh
Caity
Oct 13, 2015 added it
I received this book as part of a Goodreads “First Reads” contest giveaway.

I think this is a great book to give as a gift to your twentysomething friends who enjoy a nice beer every once in a while. Having lived in Wisconsin for a year, I visited a lot of breweries and find the history and science behind brewing pretty interesting so this book satisfied a little bit of that. Also, the pictures weren't terribly outstanding, but they were amusing and fit the purpose of this book which would reall
MARY Brazeau
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such fun! This parody doesn't over think things. I bought this at a brewery tour at Cape Cod Brewery in Hyannis, Mass. It reads even better after a flight of beers including Cape Cod Red (my favorite) before noon.
Ashley Beery
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A cute beer parody book of Goodnight Moon. Perfect for that beer aficionado in your life. Plus the animals are adorable and if you pay close enough attention to the artwork, things do change in the scenes, just small details, but enough to make you smile.
Scott Kuyken
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Top notch book. Love the names, and the rhymes. My daughter loves the Brew basics at the end.
Mandy Porter
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Found this randomly at an art store and fell in love. So cute and funny. Beer people will appreciate this.
Sean Kottke
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Fun parody, with a good vocab lesson for budding brewers
Winston
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
available at levante
David
Sep 15, 2014 added it
No. Wrong. Sorry. Not for kids. Terrible parody with no redeeming qualities. Seriously.

You would be hard pressed to find a parody of a children's classic more tone deaf and misguided as this. The idea of a children's book parody should have echoes of childhood skewered with a winking eye. Goodnight Brew seems to labor under the assumption that a not-so-clever title reworking aimed at craft brew-loving hipster parents is going to be the next Go The F*ck To Sleep.

It isn't.

Unfunny, unclever, unbeli
Shelly Donaghey
Sep 11, 2014 rated it liked it
GOODNIGHT BREW, written by Ann E. Briated (inebriated) and illustrated by Allie Ogg, is something of a mystery to me. Clearly not a book written for alcoholic children, this parody of the classic GOODNIGHT MOON should not appeal to anyone, yet it does. Perhaps a hip, swinging parent might pick up this tale of going to bed in the brewery as a “cool” accoutrement or as something to display for a laugh at the next cocktail party they host, but it isn’t for a child’s entertainment.
The singsong wri
Curt Fox
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Via Goodeads First Reads:

Cute.
This one adjective best sums up this quaint, crafty parody.
From the moment you notice the author's name (Ann E. Briated) to the moment you reach the final, somnolent panel, it's easy to appreciate the direction the creators are coming from, and to enjoy the path they are taking.
Certainly a quick read, it nonetheless comes across as a fetching paeon to the children's genre, as well as a smiley distraction from the concretely adult world in which we find ourselves.
Sarah -  All The Book Blog Names Are Taken
My favorite museum here has been running the exhibit 'American Spirits: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition" that ends on the 29th of January. It is fantastic and has a lot of neat, interactive pieces that tell all points of view. Luckily, our museum also always has a bomb collection of books in relation to the traveling exhibits and this was one of the treasures I snagged today (half off too, since the books and other items get discounted in the final weeks). Not only was this a cute, adult parody ...more
Victoria
Aug 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I loved the illustrations and the last few pages showing types of beers and the craft brewing process. I had to explain the story to the beer fan in my life; he didn't get it because he wasn't familiar with the "story" in Goodnight Moon. This would be great if you're a beer-loving parent who has read Goodnight Moon a million times to know what it's like. I laughed that it's called "A Pitcher Book for Grown-Ups."

I received a copy of this book from the publisher.
Renee
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an adorable, beer-tastic spin on an old classic. People who loved Goodnight Moon as kids (and maybe even adults) can now enjoy Goodnight Brew as an adult. It's even appropriate for little ones. The illustrations are super cute and the Brew Basics page is great for those who love beer but maybe want to expand their knowledge of the tasty beverage. A great addition to any library.
Melissa Richardson
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I WON THIS IN A GOODREADS GIVEAWAY!!! Thanks so much!! This was a hilarious take on the Classic children's book Goodnight Moon, adult style. The story was so clever and the illustrations were amazing! The only downside is, now I have to read this to my husband every night before he can go to sleep. Ha!
Teri
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Let me first say that I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads. That said, it was a great parody of Margaret Wise Brown's Goodnight Moon. It was a very entertaining read (the "pitchers" were silly, but fun!) for anyone in the adult crowd, not just beer-lovers.
Chris
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
A parody of "goodnight moon" inside of a brewery. Some cool illustrations and creatures, but also real educational in the brewing process. I have wanted to read this one for a long time now, I'm glad I got my hands on it. A quick read that I'm sure I'll revisit quite often.

Cheers!
Julie Rowan-Zoch
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Perfect picture book for the adult beer-lover in your life!
Diana Suddreth
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you are into brewing beer and have read Goodnight Moon, you'll get this and it will be entertaining.
Elena Johansen
How do you review a picture book? It's cute and funny. I liked the art style, and I didn't cringe at the rhymes.
Jess
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very cute - and informative.
K
  • Naked!
  • Young Frank, Architect
  • Dinosaur Train
  • This Little Piggy
  • Pigeon Pack (4 Book Set) (The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!; Don't Let Pigeon the Stay Up Late!; The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!; Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!)
  • Hidden Passions: Secrets from the Diaries of Tabitha Lenox
  • Boats
  • Monster's New Undies
  • Middle-earth Envisioned: The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings: On Screen, On Stage, and Beyond
  • I, Crocodile
  • The Best of McSweeney's Internet Tendency
  • Star Trek: Redshirt's Little Book of Doom
  • All Aboard the Dinotrain
Karla Oceanak is the author of the Aldo Zelnick Comic Novel Series, which has been honored with a Colorado Book Award, a Mountains & Plains Independent Booksellers Regional Book Award, an IndieNext selection, and other accolades. She has worked as a writer and editor for more than twenty years and has authored more than 100 books, some of which have been translated into Chinese, Korean, and He ...more