Start by marking “We Are All Completely Fine” as Want to Read:

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  2,889 Ratings  ·  547 Reviews
Harrison is the Monster Detective, a storybook hero. Now he’s in his mid-thirties and spends most of his time not sleeping.

Stan became a minor celebrity after being partially eaten by cannibals. Barbara is haunted by the messages carved upon her bones. Greta may or may not be a mass-murdering arsonist. And for some reason, Martin never takes off his sunglasses.

Unsurprisi
Published August 12th 2014 by Tachyon Publications (first published July 2014)

To ask other readers questions about We Are All Completely Fine, please sign up.
Caitlin Yes, he is writing 2 more books in the Harrison Squared YA series coming out in 2018 and he will hopefully be building on this book as it's open…moreYes, he is writing 2 more books in the Harrison Squared YA series coming out in 2018 and he will hopefully be building on this book as it's open ended. There is more between Harrison Squared and this book (which is very obviously the same world... and where he wanted to start but they felt the idea was too adult the first time he tried to sell it ) but if he doesn't wrap it up it may be chalked up to the different recollection that a child who is living through it generally has between an adult is remembering it.... that it's self is art and far more realistic then things lining up perfectly IMO. Ever read Neil Gaiman's "Ocean at the End of the Lane" he does the difference between child and adult perfectly & I wouldn't be suprised if Daryl is in the same mind set!(less)
Caitlin Nope, Harrison Squared was even written after this one. I actually read Harrison Squared first... it was Good then read this which was great which…moreNope, Harrison Squared was even written after this one. I actually read Harrison Squared first... it was Good then read this which was great which made me want to go back and read Harrison again and it was just that much better!(less)

Carol.
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Zelany shorts, character building
Recommended to Carol. by: Carly
We Are All Completely Fine is a fabulous, complicated novella about a group of five damaged people and the psychologist who brings them together. Dr. Jan claims she wants to help them, but the five members have been through various supernatural traumas and are accustomed to disbelief when they share their unlikely histories: “Every small group was a chemistry experiment and the procedure was always the same: bring together a group of volatile elements, put them in a tightly enclosed space, and s ...more
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
A psychotherapist gathers a group of trauma survivors together for group therapy. The twist: all of the patients have had horrific experiences of the spooky, supernatural variety.

description

Are they lying or hallucinating about the supernatural aspect of their traumas, or could it be real?

The therapy group is a diverse one: Harrison helped save a small part of his town from some strange disaster when he was a teen; the rest of the townspeople died. Stan was held captive and partially eaten by a family of
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Dr. Jan Sayer decides to begin group therapy on a group of "different" individuals.
You have Harrison-who was a child hero for slaying the monsters that threatened a town. Martin-who never takes off his sunglasses, Stan-who survived a group of cannibals and loves to talk, Greta-the quiet one of the group who hides a major secret and Barbara-who has messages left by a Scrimshander on her very bones.

Once I asked if it hurt, and she said, "Of course it does, honey. Everything beautiful hurts."

No on
Lyn
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I was in the 6th grade, I got sucker punched.

I had an argument with the class bully, I turned around, and

BAM!

I never saw it coming.

So I picked up We Are All Completely Fine by Daryl Gregory, a lot of my GR friends had really liked him and his book, so Hey! I’ll give it a try and

BAM!

I never saw it coming.

We are all Completely Fine is Fight Club … except you need to talk about it.

Seriously, if you think you have problems, if you think you are slogging through dysfunction, then sit in on thi
Joe Valdez
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
My introduction to the fiction of Daryl Gregory is We Are All Completely Fine and this is another case of a good writer with lots of imagination who seems to have published a rough draft of an unfinished novel. Published in 2014, it comes in as a novella, at an estimated 37,500 words. Imagine nine-tenths of Stephen King's It, which is 444,414 words, being cut, along with the character backstories, mythology of the town and history of the monster--in other words, everything good--all gone, and yo ...more
Char
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novellas
I enjoyed the hell out of this novella!

A small group of torture survivors are brought together by their doctor for experimental group therapy. These people have been through the most horrible things imaginable. Seriously, it's bad.

What begins as therapeutic meetings for this group eventually morphs into something else. Something otherworldly. Something that is not quite finished.

I loved how this tale was related, it wasn't a dreary recitation of each survivor and what happened to them. It flow
The Serendipity Aegis ~ ☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
The Cult of Sisters? Hidden Ones? Gaming references? Google Glass? Spidermother? Scrimshander? Bone-etched prophecies? Elms Street? Time bubbles? Color me not persuaded this comics style writing was worthy of my reading time.

Overall 2 stars because it wasn't 100% asinine (only 99% so) but no more since it made precious little sense.

A lot of ideas that could have been cool. Instead they were bungled, jumbled and meshed together into a barely readable salad of borderline nastiness. This was suppos
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, read-in-2014
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“We’re different from other people. We only feel at home when we’re a little bit afraid.”

Commercial Photography

I requested We Are All Completely Fine for the simple reason that it kept popping up on my Goodreads’ feed due to other people reading it. Upon reading the synopsis explaining how the story revolves around group therapy sessions wherein the members are a “monster hunter,” a former victim of a cannibalistic family, someone who escaped a serial ki
Bark
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
We were a team of professional insomniacs. Once you know there are monsters under the bed, closing your eyes becomes a foolhardy act. So, we paced. We stared into the dark. We listened for the creak of the opening door.

This is a story about a group of strangers, all from different walks of life, who have been brought together for a group therapy session. They are all trauma survivors but each of them carries scars caused by the stuff that haunts dreams and fuels horror films. None of them are fi
Paul Nelson
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
We are all Completely Fine was recommended by a hell of a lot of friends in the blogging world, so I approached it expecting big things and did it live up to the hype, damn right it did.

Intriguing world building, characters tinged in tragedy, a history of darkness and things on the periphery, not seen by all and on top of that monsters with names such as the Scrimshander, a carver of bones. All good so far.

Dr Jan Sayer was the psychologist that found them all, 5 survivors of horrific events, the
Gregor Xane
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
This novella largely served to convince me that I need to read the rest of Daryl Gregory's stuff. This, like The Devil's Alphabet, is a fine, unique piece of work. The premise is novel and the execution is nearly flawless. He deftly handles a large cast of characters (for a novella) interacting in a group setting without once stumbling and confusing the reader. All of the characters are interesting, distinct, and are fully realized in record time.

This piece is dark and creepy and humorous when a
Rachel the Book Harlot
"Every small group was a chemistry experiment, and the procedure was always the same: bring together a group of volatile elements, put them in a tightly enclosed space, and stir. The result was never a stable compound, but sometimes you arrived at something capable of doing hard work, like a poison that killed cancer cells. And sometimes you got a bomb."

We Are All Completely Fine is an engrossing character-driven horror novella. The story features an ensemble cast of well-drawn, vivid character
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/03/15/n...

If you recall in my review of Harrison Squared, I described that book as a fun, adventurous mystery which strikes the perfect balance for teen and adult crossover appeal. Well, nothing could be further from my experience with We Are All Completely Fine. Rather, try descriptions like “traumatic”, “disturbing” and “mature audiences only”.

Don’t get me wrong, though; I’ve developed a taste for horror fiction in recent years, a
Caro M.
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a surprisingly delicious read. I went to bed at almost 2 a.m. just to finish it, you guys. I expected it to be interesting, but not this good. It's one of those cases you feel like author is absolutely bullshitting you, but instead of shaking it off with a loud "wtf??" you smile and say "please go on!". I hope you get me, or maybe it's just my personal problem with authors...

I loved the story, a bit lovecraft-ish softcore horror and the idea of psychotherapy group for survivors of seem
Justine
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read, novella

Excellently written novella that makes me want to read more from Daryl Gregory. Unexpectedly fulfilling.
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
A group of people comes together for group therapy. They are survivors of horrendous events and together with psychotherapist Dr. Jan they talk about what they have been through. But what is really the purpose of the group? Are they just there to talk, or are gathered for a special purpose?

The book was interesting from the beginning. I liked all the characters and I liked that every one of them was part of a puzzle, even Dr. Jan (I managed to guess correctly to who she really was!). It was a gr
Kaora
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good-horror
Act normal. Pretend we don't know what we know. But it's so tiring. I start to hate people for their ignorance. Their complacency. Sometimes I see a couple people sitting around laughing and I think, What the fuck do you think is so funny?

Daryl Gregory and I have met before through Raising Stony Mayhall, something I didn't realize when I first requested this ARC from NetGalley. Had I known I probably would not have picked this up.

And boy would I have regretted that.

We Are All Completely Fine is
Lynx
Daryl Gregory's talents are on full display in his latest novel. Infusing fantasy, horror and at times even humour he explores how we make sense of the impossible made real. A group of five survivors of extreme supernatural trauma are brought together by a therapist to share their fascinating stories and begin the process of understanding and dealing with their dark pasts. With a constant shift in narration it can be confusing at first, but if you stick with it you realize the brilliantly woven ...more
Althea Ann
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
There are a few people out there that therapists must see as hard cases. Lone survivors of terrible tragedies, damaged in both mind and body. Sometimes, they refuse to talk about what happened. Sometimes, they insist on explaining that what happened to them had some supernatural element to it - clearly a kind of self-delusion to avoid facing reality.

But one psychologist, Dr. Jan Sayer, has put out her professional feelers to try to contact and form a group therapy meeting with these victims. Ha
Mimi
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone, esp. fans of subtle horror
So very good. If you're curious about Daryl Gregory but don't know where to start, consider this novella. It's short enough to not waste your time and long enough to give you a good sense of his writing.

This story is much more than the sum of its parts, and its genius lies in the subtle writing and unassuming storytelling style, and it's one of those stories you should go into knowing as little about it as possible, so as to experience it fully as it unfolds.

Daryl Gregory would like you to imagi
Kealan Burke
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lovecraftian horror with a wry sense of humor but plenty of eldritch mayhem to satisfy even the most jaded of fans. A rare treat.
Kimberly
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
4.5 stars.

This is the story of five survivors--of unique, horrendous experiences--brought together by their enigmatic therapist. The purpose is supposedly to help them each not feel so alienated by their own traumas. As the stories of each begin to unfold, we see that they share much more in common than mere survival....

I felt that Daryl Gregory did a fantastic job with the characterization of each of these individuals. Every single one of them felt "real", and had a story behind them that I eag
Hazal Çamur
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gerçekten ilginç bir kısa romandı. Öyle ki kendisini bir günde okuttu.

Birbirinden tuhaf ve bir o kadar dehşet verici geçmişlere sahip 4 hasta ve normalde hiçbir doktorun inanmadığı bu korkunç şeyleri yaşamış insanların her dediğine gerçekten inanan bir psikiyatr. Burası bir terapi grubu ve her birinin hem anlatıp hem de kesinlikle anlatmak istemediği çok şeyi var.

Daryl Gregory'nin hem önemli ödüller kazandığı, hem de büyük ödüllere aday olduğu bu kısa romanı farklı tatlar arayanlar için birebir.
Mark Matthews
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A therapy group commences, and the participants share one common issue: all of them were involved in some sort of monstrous trauma, or been a part of the 'monster' world that exists parallel to ours.

I loved this book. The kind of book you read where the author wrote it just for you. The group dynamics were so spot on, and the author referencing "Yalom", who is the guru for therapy group dynamics and progression, showed that he did his homework. What worked so well for me is that, from my experie
Miriam
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
(Non-spoiler: they are not either completely fine.)

This is now my second-favorite Gregory novel. My ranking, best-to-worst, goes like this:

Pandemonium (still the best by a lot, despite the equivalent ratings)
Masked
Harrison Squared
Spoonbenders

Maybe I'll try one of graphic novels he worked on next.
Ezgi Tülü

Biz Gayet İyiyiz hakkında ne düşündüğümden emin olamıyorum. Kitabı bitirdiğimden beri bir kitaba, bir de önümdeki boş sayfaya bakıp bakıp duruyorum ve en sonunda net bir karara varamayacağımı fark ettim. Beğendiğim ve beğenmediğim yanlarıyla, sevdiğim bir kitap oldu Biz Gayet İyiyiz fakat eksikliğini hissettiğim şeyler, kişisel olarak göz ardı edemeyeceğim kadar yer kaplıyor aklımda.

Kitap, kimliği belirsiz bir anlatıcının, bir parçası olduğu terapi gr
Kate
4.5*

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

What happens to the people who have experienced severe trauma, the ones who have escaped horrors both human and supernatural. Group therapy, according to this read and the premise alone was enough to make my literary mouth water.

Five emotionally, and physically, scarred individuals attend group sessions with Dr Sayer. Harrison, the 'Monster Detective', Stan, who escaped the clutches of cannibals, Ba
Carly
~4.5

I encounter quite a lot of episodic hard-boiled urban fantasy, and one constant source of entertainment (and aggravation) is wondering what happens to the minor characters after they are abandoned by the camera. Take the television show Supernatural. After the Winchesters roll out of town, what actually happens to Screaming Girl #1 who loses her father/boyfriend/girlfriend to an angry pumpkin man or psychotic razor-hands or grabby ghost? Or what about the bystanders who were unlucky enough t
Steve
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really, really liked this one with one caveat: it was too short.

The premise was interesting: bring together a group of individuals for group therapy, people that are scarred (mentally and physically) by paranormal events. Through the discussions, things are brought to light that the group, as a whole, must confront. There's a surprising (and satisfying) twist at the end, too. I'll definitely be picking up the prequel, Harrison Squared, when it's released.

As I was reading, one thing struck me: it
Jon Recluse
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This was an eARC from Netgalley.

5 people.
Their lives shattered by unspeakable evil, physically, emotionally and psychologically tortured and broken.
Survivors, gathered together in group therapy, in the hope of healing some of the wounds they carry.....only to discover that what has scarred them were not separate, random acts of the unthinkable, but a predestined web of atrocities, woven by nameless horrors from "outside" reality....horrors they must face again, to stop a threat beyond imagining.
  • The End of the Sentence
  • Envy of Angels (Sin du Jour, #1)
  • The Doll Collection
  • Crawl
  • Death Vigil, Vol. 1
  • When We Join Jesus In Hell
  • Whom the Gods Would Destroy
  • The Brotherhood of the Wheel (Brotherhood of the Wheel, #1)
  • The Mothers of Voorhisville
  • Between Two Fires
  • Close Reach
  • Mockingbird (Miriam Black, #2)
  • Milk-Blood
Award-winning author of Spoonbenders, We Are All Completely Fine, Afterparty, Pandemonium, and others. Some of his short fiction has been collected in Unpossible and Other Stories.

He's won the World Fantasy Award, as well as the Shirley Jackson, Crawford, Asimov Readers, and Geffen awards, and his work has been short-listed for many other awards, including the Nebula . His books have been translat
“Pretending to be normal made life so difficult.” 11 likes
“..."I might be entertaining the idea of tamping down my nihilism. Just a bit. Not because life is not meaningless—I think that’s inarguable. It’s just that the constant awareness of its pointlessness is exhausting. I wouldn’t mind being oblivious again. I’d love to feel the wind in my face and think, just for minute, that I’m not going to crash into the rocks.”

“You’re saying you’d like to be happy.”
10 likes