Start by marking “Just a Drop of Water” as Want to Read:
Just a Drop of Water

Just a Drop of Water

Ever since he was little, Jake Green has longed to be a soldier and a hero like his grandpa, who died serving his country. Right now, though, he just wants to outsmart—and outrun—the rival cross country team, the Palmetto Bugs. But then the tragedy of September 11 happens. It’s quickly discovered that one of the hijackers lived nearby, making Jake’s Florida town an FBI hot ...more
Published September 2nd 2014 by Sky Pony

To ask other readers questions about Just a Drop of Water, please sign up.
Karen Dimock I would say it is appropriate for middle school students. It covers many topics that sadly continue to be current today. The book looks at 9/11 and a…moreI would say it is appropriate for middle school students. It covers many topics that sadly continue to be current today. The book looks at 9/11 and a local connection from a a 13 year old boy's point of view. I found it very interesting.(less)

Lola
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I’m so happy such a diverse, realistically-told, family and friendship-focused and touching middle grade book was written.

I won’t lie, I wasn’t attracted to this book at all at first. That cover, meh. That plot, maybe? I wasn’t even supposed to read it, but unexpected book mail is always welcome.

The moment I started it though, I knew this would be a story I wouldn’t forget. Jake is such an authentic thirteen-year-old boy who tries to make sense of the 11/09/2001 catastrophic event.

His best frie
Rebecca McNutt
A powerful tale of trust and friendship, Just A Drop of Water deals with heavy topics but in the end asks the biggest question of all... are we so afraid that it's making us blind to the good of humanity?
Katie B
Easily one of my favorite books I have read this year. This is not only an excellent middle grade book, it is just a good book in general for anyone wanting to read historical fiction about 9/11. The author managed to convey perfectly the mood and atmosphere of the nation during the days after the attacks.

Jake Green's biggest problem before September 11, 2001 was wanting to beat a member of a rival cross-country team in the next race. However, the attacks on U.S. soil change everything including
Debbie O
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just a Drop of Water, is an engaging story geared for middle grade readers. However the theme and the messages conveyed in the book span all ages. Reading this story I was inspired by Jake's struggle, his perseverance and ultimately his choices.
Stacey Lee
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
13 yo Jake is best friends with a Muslim boy named Sam. After the events of September 11, Sam's dad is interrogated for possible connections to the terrorists. School friends begin taking sides. When Jake's mom begins to question Sam's family's innocence, and Jake is forced to make a decision - stand up for his friend, or walk away.

Truly moving account of the events of 9/11 from the perspective of a kid. I loved this book. Jake and Sam felt absolutely real, and their choices, authentic. Voices
Cindy Rodriguez
I was able to read this ARC as a member of the Fearless Fiteeners. Kerry's debut novel allows middle schoolers to experience the events of 9/11 through the eyes of Jake Green, a character their own age. As a teacher, I think this is an ideal way to introduce students to tough subjects and moments in history. The description of the attacks on 9/11 gave me chills, and the things that happen with Jake's family and friends afterward are examples of what happened throughout the country. Kerry also "g ...more
David
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: historical fiction
A Must Read-- no really.

I had the good fortune of reading this book when I was in a writing workshop with the author. I also had the misfortune of witnessing 9/11 from my side of the Hudson river where we lived on that day.

I always wondered how the other part of America viewed the event and it absolutely shocked me to discover, through reading this book, that perhaps the rest of America had just as profound and visceral a reaction to the event as anyone who witnessed it up close.

America was dif
Wendy
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was an absolutely wonderful book! The story is captivating, resonated with feelings and reactions I had myself regarding 9/11, and was wonderfully entertaining as well. I fell in love with the characters and was amazed how the author captured the different moods and feelings of every age group, during that very sad time in American history. I would highly recommend this book for readers of any age.
Dorothy Decarli
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Reliving September 11, through the eyes of a 13 year old boy brings back the memories of fear, sadness, hatred, patriotism and resilience. Kids who were not alive then will be able to share this part of history with the adults in their life in a positive, thought provoking way.
Leslie Balding
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The conversation and thoughts flowed effortlessly..I was so engrossed I found myself feeling protective over the characters..wanting to right the wrongs..excellent book for people too young to remember the events of that tragic day.
Superb.
Meredith
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The story of two boys—one Christian, one Muslim—whose friendship is tested in the days following the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. A powerful, important book, and a must-read for all age levels.
Marge Keller
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good book -- good explanations. Worked well to introduce facts. Race/religious views. Both boys and girls will like it. Touching. Interesting relationship with parents. Adding Wilkey's was interesting.
Nicole Cabrera
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: awesome-books
Kerry, is a masterful storyteller. She'll have you sprinting for the last page. Stunningly crafted. Get your copy today.
Aspen
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books of all time! It makes you want to keep reading it and is very unpredictable.
Ms. Yingling
Mar 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Jake doesn’t like to run cross country but loves track, and knows that his coach demands that he do cross country or he’ll be cut in the spring. He hopes to be made a team captain along with his long time best friend Sam, but a new boy and fast runner, Kirk, is made captain instead. When the Twin Towers in New York are bombed, Jake’s world is shaken. His mother, whose father was killed in a war, is nervous and upset, especially since his father had flown on business on Monday the 10th. One of th ...more
Erin
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wow. It's hard to believe that a book set immediately before, during, and after September 11th, 2001 is historical fiction, but for the kids whom this book is targeted at, it is. I appreciate the perspective of the book--I think it is unique to have a book about September 11th that doesn't take place in New York and although the main character didn't have anyone close to him die in the attacks, he still feels the reverberations in his life.

Jake lives a normal life in a Florida town. He runs cro
Samantha
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This historical fiction novel takes place in the days leading up to and after September 11th, 2001. Set in Coral Springs, Florida the main character, Jake Green, struggles with the knowledge that one of the hijackers was living in his town prior to the attacks. His best friend and neighbor, Sam Medina, an Arab Muslim is targeted by boys in their class whose actions and behavior towards persons of Arab descent is disrespectful and volatile.

When Sam’s father is taken into FBI custody after it is
Juli
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
The students that I will have this year (2015-2016) were born after 9/11. Often when I bring up the events or after-effects of 9/11, I've been faced with vacant stares. The students have little or no understanding of the history presented in JUST A DROP OF WATER other than the generalizations that terrorists flew into tall buildings and killed hundreds.

Kerry O'Malley Cerra has written a perfect middle-school appropriate narrative, a mix of "what ifs" that reflects a variety of ideas, emotions a
Matt Ostrowsky
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This. Book. Was. Amazing. I'd give it 6 stars out of 5 if I could. I was hoping it'd be one for my elementary school students to read, but there are some themes and parts of the book that are pretty intense for younger readers.

I love that the main character's favorite football team is Philadelphia: The City of Brotherly Love. Because brotherly love is precisely what Jake Green shows throughout the story, despite his own anger and mixed emotions in the weeks following September 11, 2001. I also l
Sandra Stiles
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have read three stories in the last few days about 9/11 for middle grade students. This story is by far my favorite. Jake and Sam have been best friends for years. They run cross country together. They have become friends with the new kid Kirk. His father works in Washington. When 9/11 happens their friendship will be tested. Shortly after this terrible event, Jake's mother begins to flip out. When Jake and Sam's friend Bobby turns against Sam, Jake takes revenge.The reason is simple, Sam is a ...more
Maria
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
'Just a Drop of Water' should be on all middle school reading lists. Kerry O'Malley Cerra brings to life the sensitive topic of September 11, 2001 through the eyes, thoughts and raw passion of 13 year old Jake Green. She truly captures the real emotion and struggle of a young teenager as he strives to make sense of his world as it is suddenly turned upside down. Readers, regardless of age, can relate to the memorable characters painted for us in a realistic way. I will be using Cerra's novel to ...more
Jean-Marie
America became a different country following the events of September 11, 2001. This book looks at one teen's perspective immediately before, during and after that fateful day. Somehow the author was able to artfully bring to light many complex issues at once: war vs. peace, tolerance, religion, hate, PTSD, friendship, family and so much more. This is an excellent read/read aloud for middle school students. Although it takes place in 2001, many of the themes are, unfortunately, still relevant tod ...more
Christy H
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just a drop of water is must read!
13 year old Jake Green's struggle to understand his world in the aftermath of the September 11th tragedies is deeply moving. Jake is forced to question and rethink everything he believes to be right and just as he defends the honor of his best friend Sam (Sameed) Medina, a Muslim American.
The messages of faith, courage, hope and loyalty emerge as Jake confronts his parents, his classmates and his community in the name of Sam.
A wonderfully honest story that eve
A
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 15ers
A moving, complicated story that brought tears to my eyes as it depicted the events of 9/11 through the eyes of a middle school boy. The characters are believable and complicated and very human, and I was particularly struck by how the adults in the story weren't always able to cope, and how things were left unresolved--a powerful and true-to-life take on childhood and the loss of innocence. A quick, page-turning read with heartwarming characters and plot twists that kept me guessing!
Naomi Agmon
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a "must read" ! Once I started I couldn't put it down. Has some great messages both for kids and for parents. Set around the events of 9/11 in a small South Florida town, it stresses the importance of acceptance of others, which is as important today as it was in 2001. I shed more than "Just a Drop of Water" while reading this!
Michael
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very factual account of the time just before and after September 11. As an educator, I hope all middle schools and upper elementary schools will use this in the classroom to help kids understand a time period that changed modern America.
Hillary Moldovan
Wonderful book! I could see using this ad a read-aloud whole class study or an advanced reading group (5th grade). Much discussion of character development and motived.
I believe the author brought an incredible time tolife, through the eyes of a young teen.
Beth
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.25 stars. This book is about so much more than 9/11, but the author covers that subject in a truly excellent way. Can't wait to share with my 8th graders!
Panda_girl711
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

Just a Drop of Water is an amazing book!! I definitely recommend it to anyone. This book gives a nice message!
Rebecca
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jake is a typical 8th grader in a small Florida town in September of 2001. His best friend is Sam Madina, and their families spend lots of time together. Jake and Sam are both runners, hoping to be team captains for the year. Everything changes, though, on 9/11. Suddenly the school bullies are attacking Sam, and Jake keeps getting into fights defending him. Even his parents betray him, his mother fearful of the Madinas, and his father not standing up to the bully’s father. Sam is pulling away, t ...more
Did anybody like the book Just a Drop of Water? 1 5 Oct 16, 2016 02:56PM
  • Double Exposure
  • Step Right Up: How Doc and Jim Key Taught the World about Kindness
  • Bayard Rustin: The Invisible Activist
  • Ruby Lee and Me
  • Odin's Promise (Odin's Promise, #1)
  • Feathered
  • Marwan's Journey
  • Steamboat School
  • Silver People: Voices from the Panama Canal
  • She Loved Baseball: The Effa Manley Story
Kerry O'Malley Cerra is the author of the award-winning, middle-grade novel Just a Drop of Water, which won a Florida Book Award, the Crystal Kite Award, and was named to VOYAs Top Shelf Fiction for Middle Readers' 2014 list. In addition, the book has been named a finalist for the 2015-2016 Maine Student Book Award, the 2016-2017 Truman Award (Missouri), and the 2016-2017 Magnolia Award (Mississip ...more