Start by marking “Pack of Dorks (Pack of Dorks, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pack of Dorks (Pack of Dorks, #1)

Pack of Dorks

(Pack of Dorks #1)

Lucy knows that kissing Tom Lemmings behind the ball shed will make her a legend. But she doesn’t count on that quick clap of lips propelling her from coolest to lamest fourth grader overnight. Suddenly Lucy finds herself trapped in Dorkdom, where a diamond ring turns your finger green, where the boy you kiss hates you three days later, where your best friend laughs as you ...more
Published October 14th 2014 by Sky Pony

To ask other readers questions about Pack of Dorks, please sign up.
Beth Beaner! I can't believe I didn't include it in the book. ;) Great catch, Sarah.

Beth
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
In sixth grade, I felt weird voting for myself during the student council elections. I lost. By one vote. So it feels weird reviewing my own book, but I've got to say, I love Lucy and her pack. This was the most fun I've ever had writing. Hope you enjoy getting to know them as much I did. And keep an eye out for Camp Dork coming in May 2016.
Beth Griffin
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Pack of Dorks is sad in parts and sweet in parts and absolutely hilarious, too. It is also extremely real. Beth Vrabel does an excellent job showing the reality of mean kids and the struggles of popularity. A fantastic read for middle grade children. It teaches kids to be themselves and to respect and appreciate others (even if the others pick their noses).A fun read for adults too. This book will take you straight back to the 4th grade. A fantastic debut novel - I can't wait to read the sequel.
Angie
Lucy has the biggest day of her life when she meets Tom behind the shed and kisses him in front of her entire 4th grade class. It is sure to cement her as one of the popular kids. Then her mom has her baby sister Molly and Lucy has to miss a couple of days of school. When she gets back her status has fallen. Tom has broken up with her and her best friend Becky treats her like dirt. If that isn't bad enough her home life is in an uproar because Molly has Down's Syndrome and her parents were not p ...more
Sandy
It all began with a kiss which then led into Dorkland and ended when Lucy deciding she was a lone wolf who needed to decide her own future. I think there are many of us who can relate to Lucy: how desperately she wanted her first kiss, her issues with popularity at school and her trying to find her place with her peers. Lucy and Becky were popular before the two girls decided to kiss the boys. At home, the family is adjusting to the addition of Lucy’s new sister Molly who was born with Down Synd ...more
Susan Jennings
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I still remember the day 20 years ago when I was in sixth grade when a couple of the popular kids in my class followed me home from school, howling at me. I wish my 12-year-old self had had "Pack of Dorks" to read back then. It would've helped close my ears to their taunting and inspired me to form my own pack of like-minded underdogs.

With one kiss at recess Lucy goes from being the coolest girl in fourth grade to an outcast. At home, her parents are distracted by the birth of Lucy’s little sis
Margot
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I hope you don’t mind if I do a little grandmotherly bragging. My granddaughter, Lou (age 9), has well-rounded interests. She’s a good friend, a good soccer player, and is quite the reader.

Lou has already read most of the Newberry winners, all the Harry Potter’s, the Lemony Snickets, plus all sorts of other children’s classic and contemporary books. Best of all, Lou has good taste in literature and can critically analyze what she’s read. Lou has joined her older sister in making good book recomm
Mark Buxton
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Many books have been written about getting along with classmates and friendship, but this book added the issue of mental handicaps. The author shared Lucy's frustrations as she slowly realized she needed to change. Her parents needed time to deal with a handicapped infant. Lucy's grandmother was a fun character, as she had no trouble speaking her mind. She also told Lucy that she had teased other kids when she was young, so she was able help Lucy with her problems.
Nancy
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Need to test this w/a book club. Only complaint is the cranky old lady librarian sterotype. I am a great good time kids librarian.
Kim
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
While tackling some bigger issues like bullying and kids with special needs, this book was also funny and endearing. Lucy, the main character was wonderfully refreshing and honest.
Violet Prime
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a refreshing read! It really exceeded my expectations, and showed that not every middle school book has to have high school content in it. It was sweet, satisfying, and a perfect book for a cozy read this season. And the whole idea of dorks forming a pack was reused, but Beth Vrabel made it her own. Plus the cover is awesome.
Ireadalittlebittoomuch:(
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really good book. Know Beth Vrabel in real life BTW
Violet Sinclair
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really, really wish this book had existed when I was in fourth grade.

You see, I see a lot of fourth grade me in Lucy. I also had my very own Tom and Henry, a Becky, and a Sam. The only difference between fourth grade me and Lucy is...well, I didn’t really start to accept who I was until late middle-school/early high-school.

Anyway, this book is very, very good, and I think a lot of people should read it.

Great for fans of WONDER.
Mike
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dear Ellie,

I’m very sorry. I know Beth Vrabel did not base her character on you. Still. You fit the description of Becky so perfectly, I couldn’t help but visualize you as the character. I just can’t believe you would actually act like that. By you, I mean Becky. It’s one thing to be unkind but to actually tell Lucy that you were going to be her friend in secret so that you could hear what the other kids were saying about her was just plain awful. And it seems to me that you actually took pleasu
Amy
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My 8 year old son wrote this review! You won’t want to stop reading about Lucy and her pack! You’ll love the story and get to know the characters like they’re your best friend. It is a book about a girl that does something to be legendary popular but ends up hated by everybody because she loses a fake ring given to her by a boy named Tom. Can Lucy make friends with the kids that are called dorks? You will love this new book, I did and I am a fourth grader!
Shala Howell
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
If I could change one thing about parenting, it would be to have it commonly accepted that parents & kids should keep reading books together well into middle school. My fifth grader and I both read Pack of Dorks this weekend (she first, me second) and it opened up so many excellent conversations about friendship, bullying, and having the courage to be your own person. By turns hilarious, painful, and wise, this book is above all real. It's so easy to relate to Lucy and Sam and April. We all ...more
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
For everyone who experienced being outcast in elementary school this book provides the best response . Without being pedantic about the whole bullying spiel, the author gives main character Lucy enough reason and enough gumption to survive the ordeal with her self respect intact. Not something I managed at that age. Vrabel works in the analogy of a pack of wolves very cleverly. Thumbs up for your favorite fourth or fifth grade reader.
Brittany
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bullying is talked about all the time these days and several people have written about it with varying degrees of success.

Vrabel does an excellent job, though, with this sentimental and touching and heartbreaking story about Lucy---who is one of my favorite protagonists of the summer.

Lucy loses her popularity in the blink of an eye and her world is shattered, so she must go on a journey at school and at home to figure out the meaning of happiness and friendship.

I love her parents, her grandma
B
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading POD! I have a 10 year old who was reading it at the same time (who also loved it) so we were able to have some great conversations. Much of what Lucy experienced hit home for me, being a bit of a dork at that same age. I wish I had such a relatable book to read when I was a girl. My son says that not much has changed on the 4th grade social scene since I was a kid--- he has seen many of the same types of situations the dorks encountered at his own school. I learned a lot about wo ...more
Angie Simmons
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In today's insult driven,"bullying" culture; this is a great read because the main character's experiences with bullies ultimately guide her toward true friendships and an understanding of how friends should treat each other. It is nice to read about a character that overcomes bullying and has a positive outcome.
Jessica
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Some of the descriptions of characters irked me at times (calling people fat or picking on individuals even after Lucy was supposedly friends with them) and the book did not read from a 4th grade perspective to me, but overall the supporting characters (Sam, April, Mom and Dad) were what pushed me to even give this a 3 star rating.
Namita Paranjothi
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I consider this book a must read for all parents of third graders and up as well as for all middle grade readers. I read this with my mom/daughter Bookclub and it served for great discussion and gave me great insight into my own daughter's view of the social hierarchy at school.
Nikki
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was great! Very entertaining. :)
Anna
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great story on overcoming the bullies and popular kids.
Deanna
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this charming book. It is perfect for classroom reading.
Natasha Sinel
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My. 9 year old son and I read this together. Multi-layered and a wonderful scene in a wolf conservatory, which was cool since he'd been to one on a field trip.
Briana
Kiera
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book prior to reading A Blind Guide To Stinkville, Pack of Dorks is a great book that ties love and friendship together. I brought this book to Europe with me as some light plane/airport reading material and I loved it. The book is great and is such a nice and easy read. I loved the humor in this book and also loved the part about the wolves and how she used the scape goat wolf as a connection to her life. Then forming the pack of dorks.
I found the nightly pretend that I don't
Melanie
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Lucy is one of the popular girls and is in fourth grade. She is about to get orbited into "legendary" status when she kisses her boyfriend Tom during recess on a Friday afternoon. She changes her mind, but gets talked in to going through with it by her best friend. Lucy just sort of pecks his, "raw chicken breast lips, peachy and wet." Over the course of the weekend, unknown to her, Tom breaks up with her. Lucy misses school on Monday to stay home because her parents have had ...more
Rachel Rooney
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
A 2016-2017 Missouri Mark Twain Readers Award nominee (grades 4-6)

Lucy was one of the most popular girls in her grade until one day she isn't. At home her parents are distracted by the birth of Lucy's sister, who has Down syndrome, so Lucy is left to figure out her new place in school on her own.

Of all the realistic fiction nominees this year (and there were quite a few), this was probably my favorite--with the possible exception of Rain Reign, which I read way back in February 2015. I thought t
Kim
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beth Vrabel again! Love this author. This is the highlight of being home sick. The biggest frustration in the book was the teacher. So darn clueless.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Missing Pieces of Me
  • The Junction of Sunshine and Lucky
  • Tiger Boy
  • Webster: Tale of an Outlaw
  • In Front of God and Everybody (Confessions of April Grace #1)
  • Soar
  • Hide and Seek
  • Mudville
  • Will in Scarlet
  • What We Found in the Sofa and How it Saved the World
  • The Tapper Twins Tear Up New York (The Tapper Twins, #2)
Beth Vrabel is the author of Cyblis-nominated Caleb and Kit, ILA award-winning A Blind Guide to Stinkville, JLG-selection A Blind Guide to Normal, and The Reckless Club and Pack of Dorks series. She can't clap to the beat nor be trusted near Nutella. Beth loves traveling around the country to meet with young readers and writers, sharing a message of grit, resiliency and heart.

Pack of Dorks (3 books)
  • Camp Dork (Pack of Dorks, #2)
  • Super Dorks (Pack of Dorks, #3)