Start by marking “Cultures Built to Last” as Want to Read:
Cultures Built to Last

Cultures Built to Last

Take your professional learning community to the next level! Discover a systemwide approach for re-envisioning your PLC while sustaining growth and continuing momentum on your journey. You’ll move beyond isolated pockets of excellence while allowing every person in your school system—from teachers and administrators to students—the opportunity to be an instrument of lastin ...more
Published May 24th 2013 by Solution Tree Press

To ask other readers questions about Cultures Built to Last, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cultures Built to Last

Dave Moyer
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is manna from heaven for anybody who wants to put their money where their mouth is and actually improve public schools.
A.D.
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DuFour and Fullan provide an excellent succinct overview of proposed leadership priorities to facilitate authentic PLCs. The challenge, like in most informative texts, is striking a balance between being prescriptive and theoretical. This text does a fair job at it, but I question if most leaders will put the book down and know exactly how to go forward. Therefore, I'd suggest more adjoining resources, links to videos, other resources of what it looks like in action, and if possible full disclos ...more
Mr. M.
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is important for all teachers and administrators to embrace.
Bernie Van Doninck
A great collaborative effort from two of the leading authorities on PLCS; Michael Fullan and Richard DuFour. Both of these authors have written extensively on PLCs individually in the past.

This very short book contains a lot of familiar language from previous outings but is much more concise and the perspective is more predominantly that of whole system reform. From this condensed perspective however I was able to gain a lot of "gems" worth exploring and revisiting with staff such as that of mor
Adrienne Michetti
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-just-right
Finally finished this gem of a book. I have pulled out quotes and related thoughts from every chapter - - it is that relevant. To be clear, it's less about PLCs and more about creating and sustaining improvement in a school, via systems and processes involving leaders, collaborative teams, and structures. The authors have included substantial research to support their points, and all of it is made very accessible.

There is something in here for any school interested in making evolutionary change
Katie
Jul 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: curriculum
This book was handed to me with no preamble in March which makes me think it hadn't been read yet by that person. As I go back to the classroom full time next year, I thought it'd be good to brush up on PLCs. This book is concise, which I appreciate. My biggest gripe is actually font size. I got some good questions to use to hopefully make good use of time. I recommend me it if you're an educator in a PLC.
Borax
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great book that really lays out the basics for getting your PLC culture launched. I especially loved the "relentless" focus on student improvement and the loose/tight philosophy where you have clear non-negotiables at the ADMIN level that will be tracked...but the way in which you get to those metrics is largely up to the teacher and the team...as they meet regularly to check on products and process...amending approach and seeking guidance and help to fill in a needed area.
Gaby
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
PLCs

I am about to start a PLC focused on improving outcomes for elementary students through the strategic use of technology to support Reader's and Writer's Workshop. If interested, find me @gaby13rh on Twitter!

This book makes me believe that PLCs are the best way to improve both student outcomes and professional learning that is sustainable.
Leslie Jensen-Inman
Quick read on Professional Learning Communities. The information is broken up into easily digestible chunks.

One of my favorite quotes from the book is "Clarity is a process as well as a state."

There is a lot of information about the Common Core which isn't a focus of my work and I still found value in much of the information.
Tina
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very easy read on a complex subject. Got to the point but then hammered it over and over and over and over and…you get the picture. Very good vehicle for non educators to understand the PLC process and how it relates to learning and teaching.
Jessyca505
Dec 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I love PLCs. They are a way of life. The ethos of an educational organization. For me, not 'new learning' but rather 'reminded learning' of the power of a system built on coherence and directed empowerment. So necessary...
Shari Hardinger
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice overview of PLCs for leaders. Imperative points made throughout.
Dave Moyer
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic collaboration between two of the greats. A must read for anybody who cares about school improvement or all children learning to their highest potential.
Ryan Glaze
Two respected authors/experts combine with what looked to be a very accessible and easy read. There was some nest in this, but it was under seasoned and gristly...
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Definite must read for those working in sustainability and real improvement.
Jean Hoffmann
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a decent update on the classic. It goes a bit deeper into systemic change and branching out past the immediate organization.
Caitlin