Start by marking “On a Clear Day” as Want to Read:
On a Clear Day

On a Clear Day

Young heroes decide that they are not too young or too powerless to change their world in this gripping, futuristic young adult novel by the New York Times bestselling author of the Printz Award–winning Monster.

It is 2035. Teens, armed only with their ideals, must wage war on the power elite.

Dahlia is a Low Gater: a sheep in a storm, struggling to survive completely on
Published September 23rd 2014 by Crown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about On a Clear Day, please sign up.
Tasnim on the first page of the book it says "Maria...had taken care of me after my mother had died". As for Dahlia's father he died before Dahlia's mom. and…moreon the first page of the book it says "Maria...had taken care of me after my mother had died". As for Dahlia's father he died before Dahlia's mom. and maria killed her self(less)

Start your review of On a Clear Day
Liz
Jun 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
Re-rating this because after some thought, the book didn't really have a cohesive storyline?! Like, they're trying to take down a big evil corporation thing and a terrorist, but, like, things happen but it not really. I felt lost most of the time and kept asking, "What just happened?" I thought that this would be a great read to have some diversity included in it, but they came off rather stereotypically. Not good. I've heard that this author's past works are WAY better, so it's not like I'm nev ...more
Andrew Hicks
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 50-page-fail, ya
DNF at 20%.

Walter Dean Myers's last completed* YA novel before he passed away at age 76. Ambitious dystopian scope with too-large ensemble of same-ish rogue characters, all with several pages of biographical details combined with next-to-no actual characterization. Does it seem like I read the whole book? Well, I didn't. I read just to the point where I was more interested to see if the story would ever got any better, so I bailed to a review section that told me universally that it wouldn't. T
Raina
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopia, ya
I REALLY wanted this to be good.

But I started reading-with-reluctance when I got to the following line on page 104:
"It was guy stuff, but it sounded good."
srsly.

Myers was a lovely person, and an amazing advocate for teens and reading. I REALLY wanted to like this book.

But the main character is supposed to be a math whiz. Her special role in the group is to create models to predict the behavior of world powers (the connection between these two things is not explained, just assumed). And the quot
Andrew
Jan 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction

Absolutely nothing in this book made sense to me. At all.

The characters hardly know eachother as well as can't stand eachother, yet throughout the book it's played off as if they've all known eachother for years? What? How does Dahlia magically know all these things about everyone when they've hardly spent any time together? "So and so is very ___" How does she know this? How are we supposed to know this? You would also think with the characters being randomly grabbed by their awful ringleader t

Jul 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc
Received an ARC from coworker who attended ALA in Las Vegas.

The Goodreads synopsis states this story is set in 2035. I must have missed that little fact being shared within the story itself. It was apparent that the story was set in the future but it was never clear to me how far into the future or even if it was post-apocalyptic, dystopic or just a prediction of what is to come.

The back of the ARC has a synopsis that was misleading: “Ex-rocker Michael gathers together an ex-con, a chess prodigy
Sue Edwards
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dahlia has always loved math — the numbers and formulas are dependable and help her understand the world even as things fall apart.

The year is 2035. The C-8, eight huge businesses, control everything from food to health care. Not only do they control who has access to what, the profit margin for these companies determines what even comes into being. On the surface, that doesn’t mean much for the wealthy. They live in their suburban gated communities were everyone looks like them (white). They sh
Miriam
Jun 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Myers' motley crew of teens takes on the capitalist corporations in this fast-paced novel set in the not-terribly-distant future. You can feel Myers' own anger at the inequalities destroying the fabric of civil society and his hope that young people can overcome inertia and despair to fight against the bill of goods we're being sold by people who mask their motives behind slick advertisements.

I applaud Meyers' sentiments and I appreciated his kick-ass, math-whiz Dominican-American heroine a lot
⚡Rachel
May 06, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-the-library
This story was not at all fluid. It made little sense and was difficult to follow. I borrowed it from the library because it came up as a recommended book for those who liked Ready Player One. Well, for the record it is nothing like Ready Player One and the protagonist does not come across as genuine, and this is coming from an intelligent Hispanic female from the Bronx.
Joseph Lemieux
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I thought I would have liked this a lot more than I actually did with how good the description was: all in all, a disappointment but a quick read.
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
I've never been so confused with an audiobook. I don't really know why, either.

There's not much of a plot going on – just a group of teenagers from random parts of the world (I think) banding together to take down a major company while figuring out how a terrorist fits in with it all. If you want a shorter version, it's a group of teenagers coming together to take down a monopolizer.

On a Clear Day is probably better to listen to than actually reading the book. There are some parts that are read
Barbara
In this dystopian novel set twenty years from now in 2035, the world is even more divided into groups of haves and havenots than it is now. Fifteen-year-old Dahlia, a math whiz, lives in the Bronx with plenty of neighbors who look out for her. Dahlia's world is much different than the one which we inhabit. It's basically run by C-8, eight huge companies that seem to control just about everything. Students use apps to get an education rather than having to attend school, and many families live in ...more
Nick
I'm really baffled by this book. Normally, Myers wrote clear, believable characters in solid settings, but this one came across as a half-baked dystopian novel that slipped out unedited.
The setting, twenty years into an unpleasant future, assumes that current trends of "the rich get richer" continue to the extreme case. That's a good setup for a dystopia. It's the actual story from that point which is weak. The main characters are odd stereotypes, other than two of the young women on the "good g
Chelsea Couillard-Smith
It's difficult to write a less-than-shining review for possibly the last work of a wonderful author, but I had a hard time getting into this one. The characters weren't well-developed and their relationships went from standoffish suspicion to easy familiarity so quickly, I just felt confused. I really struggled with the dialogue as well, which felt more contrived than natural, and the plot which moved so quickly that I didn't have a chance to fully understand the nature of the threat or the plau ...more
Michelle
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this. The premise is very interesting and it was highly recommended to me by a friend who has very good taste in books. I made myself finish it. I still don't really understand the plot. The dialogue and details kept taking me out of the story and I didn't know the characters beyond a surface level. I feel guilty not liking this book which was written by such a talented and recently deceased author, and wonder if perhaps he did not have a chance to truly finish the book.
Allison
May 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book. What's not to like? Myers is a fantastic author and distopias are fun but this one never clicked for me. The first chapter had me but then the rest of the chapters let me go. In a day and age when many books over world build, I think this one could have used a little more. The characters also fell flat. Once this book is published I will seriously have to consider whether I'm going to buy it or not.

ARC courtesy of publisher and Netgalley.
Kim
A group of culturally diverse teens comes together to take on the superpower corporation that controls much of the world. Quite a departure from the types of work that Myers did so beautifully, and while the premise is an interesting one, the execution feels way more forced and contrived than the other things I've read of his.
Kevin
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Got through about 80 pages of this one before giving up. Not much action, lots of talking. Seems like it might have potential if it actually gets into some action, but at the rate it was going it'd be a whole lot of nothing.

It's an interesting shift for Myers and I'd hoped it'd be more engaging, but I just couldn't stay with it.
Jennifer Ochoa
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
I feel like I need to say how much I love, truly love, WDM, and how much I appreciate what he has done for the world of Kidlit. However, I was completely confused the entire time, literally every minute I was reading this book. I will put it in my classroom, but I'm not sure how many kids will actually get through it.
Karen
Jun 06, 2014 marked it as dnf
Shelves: ya, arc, read-2014
DNF

I just couldn't connect to the story or characters so I threw in the towel at around 30%
Angie
Sep 04, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
oh my. wehere do I begin? this book deviates so far from what Ive come to expect from Myers. Disjointed story, vague references to events, activities. What is the purpose? I don't get it.
Angela
Jan 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
I was really disappointed with the plot development. I never got invested in the story.
Neon
Aug 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book reads like a really bad, tasteless parody. There's so many bad things I don't even know where to start.

How about I start with how desperate this book seems to be to earn a diversity cookie? Needless to say it won't be getting any from me, as the sad attempt at "diversity" present in the entirety of the book is forced and borderline offensive every step of the way. It felt like the book was rushed out of the author for the sake of numbers, it didn't add anything good to discuss among re
Lisa
May 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
I started and restarted reading this book three times over the last couple months until finally I made myself finish it. I was often confused about the characters and the plot of the story and wondered what I was missing. Around page 90 the story picks up but still is odd. I can tell that the young characters are meant to inspire and empower other young people to speak up and take action against a powerful agency/government that is harming Earth's inhabitants, but the story makes huge leaps in a ...more
Cecily Kyle
Dec 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Cover on this book looked cool and it fit a challenge that I was working on but unfortunately that was all I really got from this novel.
The story felt very disjointed and all over the place. I didn't really care about the characters and the amount of indecision throughout the whole thing is enough to drive someone mad.
Meh
Arris 7/8Y
The future holds things no one knows will happen. A world where no governement holds power of its country, but instead companies that dictate everything in someone's daily life will be possible in the near future. There are already companies like Amazon, and Google who control tons of companies and services all around the world, and this book makes me wonder if one day they will control society.
Aidan Lind
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was really disappointing. The plot seemed interesting but once I got into the book it was downhill from there. This book is a really quick read, as it has about 220 pages and massive text. Overall I would not recommend it.
Mary
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
Really like the other Walter Dean Myers books that I’ve read but this one was not on the same level. Some of it was the way his female main character talked about others. Encourage mail writers to have female characters but this one didn’t work very well.
Harold Walters
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Unfortunately, this book was not as interesting as I had hoped it would be. Perhaps it is just me, but I am not quite sure what the group of character do to, well... to save the world.
Sherail Tarragon
Jan 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
It was boring & I couldn’t follow it... ...more
Jamie
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-books
2.5
It started out good enough, but lost me with the ending.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Conspiracy of Us (The Conspiracy of Us, #1)
  • We Are All Made of Molecules
  • Wolkenschloss
  • Under Rose-Tainted Skies
  • Hidden Valley Road: Inside the Mind of an American Family
  • The Shadow Club (Shadow Club, #1)
  • Topics of Conversation
  • Three Things I Know Are True
  • A Danger to Herself and Others
  • Imaginary Borders
  • The Memory Book
  • Every Exquisite Thing
  • The Memory Thief
  • Loving vs. Virginia: A Documentary Novel of the Landmark Civil Rights Case
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Looking at the Stars
  • The City We Became (Great Cities #1)
  • The Princess Companion: A Retelling of The Princess and the Pea (The Four Kingdoms, #1)
pseudonyms:
Stacie Williams
Stacie Johnson

Walter Dean Myers was born on August 12, 1937 in Martinsburg, West Virginia but moved to Harlem with his foster parents at age three. He was brought up and went to public school there. He attended Stuyvesant High School until the age of seventeen when he joined the army.

After serving four years in the army, he worked at various jobs and earned a BA from Empi