Start by marking “Match Dot Comedy” as Want to Read:
Match Dot Comedy

Match Dot Comedy

With self-effacing charm, wit, and brutal honesty, essayist and scholar Susannah B. Mintz shares the ups and downs of middle-aged dating in Match Dot Comedy, a poignant and often hilarious memoir that takes a long, hard look at why the wrong relationships so often lead to the right one.

Mintz, whose journey begins ironically on Valentine's Day, chronicles the slapstick par
Published January 10th 2014 (first published December 20th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Match Dot Comedy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Match Dot Comedy

Tara
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Annoying and wordy - got the gist of the plot / story from the beginning. The main character was too picky and was constantly looking for the same kind of man. Could have done the job describing her meeting 3 of them, but the book went on with so many names and details. Hard to follow, quick to read because I skipped many parts.
Elise
Feb 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
Overly Self indulgent. A more educated Carrie Bradshaw that takes herself even more seriously, if that is possible. It was entertaining enough for a plane ride, and a very quick read.
The Idle Woman
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
After breaking up with 'The Contractor', Susannah Mintz reactivates her Match.com profile and embarks with a sigh on the challenging path of online dating. This mini-memoir follows her through the ethical and emotional bear-pit that follows. There are men she finds interesting but unattractive; men to whom she feels an electric physical attraction, but who lack purpose; and of course, because this is a 'comedy' (in the sense of a happy ending), there's inevitably 'the one'. Mintz's journey is on ...more
Gerri Leen
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a very quick read--only 57 pages with no chapters, just section breaks--but it's made much quicker by the prose style of the essay (and essay it is, not a story). The author details her hunt on match dot com for the perfect man. And she finds that like anything, the journey often leads you where you least expect and at the end, you may not be the same person who embarked on the quest.

What was lacking, what earned this four instead of five stars, was that I had a hard time figuring why th
Amy
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This kindle single isn't what the title suggests. It is, by no means, a laugh out loud kind of comedy. I was hoping for something to delight me, to make me feel like I wasn't alone in my post thirties online dating exploits that would allow me to laugh at my situation, but instead, Mintz treated me to a truth, her truth that mirrored my own, that I didn't even fully realize until now.

Mintz writes with a flowing ease, like you're just sitting and having a lengthy conversation with her in some cof
Melissa
Mar 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
I finally gave up on this short story/essay. I thought it was going to be funny and I never laughed. It was just sad. Also, the author is a bit wordy and kept repeating the same interaction over and over. I am glad I got this for free from Amazon. If I had paid, I think I would have asked for a refund! Not recommended!
Lies
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
When I started this book, I expected it to be a laugh-out-loud sort of relaxing read, and it is occasionally humorous, but actually I ended up liking it far more than just as comic relief. Well-written and very insightful, with a bunch of really wise quotes.
Stephanie S Norberg
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic!

This author is incredibly clever, with an amazing ability to perfectly phrase the most seemingly difficult or elusive concepts. Loved this and will look for more of her work.
Dani
Feb 02, 2014 added it
Thoughtful and funny

The book was thoughtful and funny, cynical yet hopeful. A similar sense of humor as the Sex and the City tv series.

A great quick read for a flight or commute.
Wanda I. Lopez
Feb 08, 2014
Abby
Mar 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
“So much of what we experience emotionally as cataclysmic, even life-threatening, sounds utterly trivial when we say it out loud.” 0 likes
“magical reappearance of someone I’d stored away in deep unconsciousness, to my sense that he was, if not the one, then at least the one who made waiting worthwhile.” 0 likes