Start by marking “Hold'Em Poker for Advanced Players” as Want to Read:
Hold'Em Poker for Advanced Players

Hold'Em Poker for Advanced Players

Texas Hold �em is not an easy game to play well. To become an expert you must balance many concepts, some of which occasionally contradict each other. In 1988, the first edition appeared. Many ideas, which were only known to a small, select group of players, were made available to anyone who was striving to become an expert, and the hold �em explosion had begun. It is now ...more
Published October 1st 1999 by Two Plus Two Pub (first published November 30th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Hold'Em Poker for Advanced Players, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hold'Em Poker for Advanced Players

Jason Koivu
Nov 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginners that want to get better
Recommended to Jason by: Ruel
Shelves: how-to
You got to know when to hold 'em. (When ta hold 'em!) Know when to fold 'em... Ah, so true.

Don't let my 3 star rating fool you, this is a very good book. It's great for those whose only poker knowledge comes from Kenny Rogers' songs, as well as for beginner/intermediate players who've already learned the basics and put in some home-game hours.

Hold'em Poker will assist the player's game to advance beyond the rudiments with numerous tips and examples that include diagrams showing the hands being
Ryan Greer
Aug 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I've had this book following me around for months, just begging to be finished. It's not particularly easy to read, and caters more to the mathematician/economist inside me somewhere. I have a couple complaints: 1) the book focuses primarily on Limit Hold Em, which has a very different strategy at times from No Limit, as pots must be built over the course of the hand rather than any bet on any street 2) the book was written in 1988, the structure of the game hasn't changed but the quality of pla ...more
Sanford Chee
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
On par with Ed Miller's book. Read both in conjunction to get a firmer grasp of the concepts. This book is better in terms of explaining the concepts and less confusing in terms of explaining limit bets.
Eric M
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
An interesting style of writing. The book is very informative but the writing style can be cumbersome at times, the authors do elude to that in the opening chapter and warn that the book is based on content and not out to win a pulitzer.

Some of the topics seem extremely detailed and others seem like they were included but not fully developed at the time. A good mid-range book as far as methods of play goes.
Richard
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The first book I ever read on poker. Had 200$ to my name at the time, and at the end of the week and 4 days spent at bicycle club 2-4$ to 4-8$ tables had 1400$... Can't argue with that ROI, so for that it gets 5 stars... It's been quite some time since picking this one up though, and some of the material may be a little outdated, although I recall liking it slightly better still than Lee Jones limit hold'em which was a similar text..
Mike Hill
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Learning the concepts in this book and the twoplustwo forums/website, I made a tidy sum of money back in the good ol days of the internet poker gold rush. The tight aggressive style of play will always win at limit hold em... but the game has evolved a lot beyond this book's scope in the last decade or so.
Jay
May 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
A bit skattered. I really preferred Dan Harrington's books. (If you are into No Limit Hold 'Em tournaments). People debate whether Harrington is a good teacher as he is not the most winning player of late, but solid for instruction and example hands are great. Sklansky is obviously a genius of poker but makes the reader work too hard to get the goods.
Michael Chaddock
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good information which I've ended up using, but the book is difficult to read and can be a bit of a slog. I wouldn't recommend it to casual players. As a casual player myself, I don't know if the time spent reading it was worth the investment.

Ultimately I should have taken the title more seriously or been a little less arrogant about my perceived skill.
Robert Owens
Jan 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: games, poker
So I thought I was going to become a card player. Yup, so were a lot of other guys. It didn't quite work out that way. This is a good book. Sklansky is an expert. I learned a lot, just not enough to commit my own cash.
Luboš
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poker
"Texas hold 'em is hard. There is probably no other form of poker as difficult. Yet, the game appears deceptively simple."

Well, I expected some simple how-to, but obviously Texas hold 'em is not easy. I will return to this book and may be re-evaluate it later.
Robin Spano
Absolutely excellent read. I read this after Harrington's series, when I was ready for some more advanced (i.e., abstract) theory to take my game to the next level.
Brian
Dec 22, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: the-greats
Sklansky is a very, very, very smart hold 'em instructor; that said, his other hold 'em book is more useful than this one.
PlatKat
Sep 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: no one; I want to be the big winner!
Picking it up after a long hiatus. Borrowed the copy I started reading and had to return it. Informative, but inconsistent writing. Good tips nonetheless.
Kingsley
May 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Not bad, I'd stick to Doyle's book. If you've read all the other poker books, give this one a shot.
Daniel Young
Dec 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Another excellent guide to limit hold 'em poker theory. This one is more specific to live games against competent players.
Cyberpope
Aug 02, 2013 rated it liked it
A dry difficult read, unlike Sklansky's "Theory of Poker"

The information is good, but it's a slow dragging time gleaning it.
Shaun
May 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Outdated. Dry and at times very boring. Only covers limit poker.
Duke Dee
Feb 16, 2013 rated it liked it
the only reason i rated this down to a four is that it isn't the easiest read. It is however extremely informative.
John
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
No doubt it was a great book in it's day. My rating reflects that times have changed and there are a lot of better books now.
Scott Hoverman
Mar 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Look at the cover. Cards AND a big gun. What more could you ask for?
Gregory
Building on the basic theory. This is an advanced book and teaches you how to think on a higher level. Very difficult reading.
Michael
Jan 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: previous-read
This book takes some serious focus to throughly digest and understand the topics and concepts presented. Not a quick read, but great reference book to brush up on key topics.
Felix
Jul 12, 2012 added it
Should probably read the Theory of Poker or similar beforehand. Putting it away indefinitely until I ever decide to learn poker again.
Ryan
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poker-books
Math and the art of poker collide!
Johndouglass
Joe
rated it it was ok
Jul 28, 2016
Melissa A.
rated it did not like it
Aug 24, 2014

• Small Stakes Hold 'em: Winning Big with Expert Play
  • Harrington on Hold 'em: Expert Strategy for No-Limit Tournaments, Volume II: The Endgame
  • Winning Low Limit Hold'em
  • The Psychology of Poker
  • Caro's Book of Poker Tells
  • Doyle Brunson's Super System
  • Phil Gordon's Little Green Book: Lessons and Teachings in No Limit Texas Hold'em
  • Ace on the River: An Advanced Poker Guide
  • Professional No-Limit Hold 'em: Volume I
  • Pot-Limit Omaha Poker
  • The Biggest Game in Town
  • Zen and the Art of Poker: Timeless Secrets to Transform Your Game
  • Every Hand Revealed
  • Phil Hellmuth Presents Read 'Em and Reap: A Career FBI Agent's Guide to Decoding Poker Tells
  • The Mathematics of Poker
  • Poker Nation: A High-Stakes, Low-Life Adventure into the Heart of a Gambling Country
  • Kill Everyone
  • The Poker Mindset
Sklansky was born and raised in Teaneck, New Jersey, where he graduated from Teaneck High School in 1966.[2] He attended the University of Pennsylvania, but left before graduation. He returned to Teaneck and passed multiple Society of Actuaries exams by the time he was 20, and worked for an actuarial firm.[3]

Sklansky is generally considered[by whom?] a top authority on gambling. He has written man