Start by marking “The Only Boy” as Want to Read:
The Only Boy

The Only Boy

Mary is stuck in Section One, living with three hundred women in a crumbling hospital. She wonders what life was like two centuries ago, before the Cleansing wiped out all the men. But the rules—the Matriarch's senseless rules—prevent her from exploring the vacant city to find out.

Taylor's got a dangerous secret: he's a boy. His compound's been destroyed, and he's been rel
Published December 17th 2013 by CreateSpace

Sophie  **2 Greek Girls Reading**
But the Cleansing didn't stop the struggle for power. The Cleansing didn't end violence. The Cleansing didn't bring peace. When free to find their own way, the women are just as destructive.

In this dystopian world, a worldwide infection killed almost everyone, only a few women survived, building a new society with rules, such as not touching each other or never getting out of the complex. There are also some doctors who create humans, but only girls since boys cannot survive. There's a Ma
Amber Forbes
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In spite of the waning dystopian genre, Jordan Locke’s ‘The Only Boy’ breathes new life into it. I found this book on Twitter through this cover alone. Jordan Locke actually created this cover, and I must say, Locke did a fantastic job.

The main crux of this book is there are no more men in the world, as they have been wiped out by a plague called the Cleansing. Thus, it is only women that remain–or so Mary thinks.

Mary has never seen a boy in her life. She lives in Section One, which is a crumbl
Rachel Miller
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This review was originally posted on giantsquidbooks.com.

I have dystopia fatigue in a BIG WAY. Now to be fair, this is mostly preferential–it’s just not my favorite YA subgenre. But I was starting to feel like all the dystopias out there were following the same old formula–just a recycled plot with a slightly different premise.

And then I picked up The Only Boy.

GUYS.

The Only Boy is REALLY GOOD!

The Only Boy proves that a great book can stand out even if it’s classified in a genre that is pretty wo
Marni
May 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I would like to thank the author for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Doing so does not sway my review in any way.

When I came across the opportunity to review this book, I jumped at it. I've read dystopian books where men weren't allowed in certain groups, some where the women kept men as slaves but none where being male could cost you your life and talking about men could get you put in confinement.

When we meet Taylor, he's just come to Secti
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
"Throughout history, men have been a destructive, repressive force. Believe me, we are better off without them."

This one deserves to be in the Most-Unique-Book-Ever shelf. The idea of wiping out Men in the map? I know *some* women out there who’d wish that.. maybe I might have played with that thought before but, what if? What if Men went extinct? What will happen? Will women survive on their own? Heck yeah we will! But it’s not the same of course. The balance is gone and as much as how some of
Al
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When I saw the cover to this book, I had such high hopes and I couldn't wait to delve into the story. Within the first few chapters, I realised that this wasn't going to be my type of book, but I kept reading in hopes that I would form a connection with the two main characters and their story. For me, the characters lacked depth, as did the story. I found myself becoming frustrated because I could see the potential of a great story buried within but never quite presenting itself.

As pacey as the
Angela Caldwell
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
THE ONLY BOY was well written and entertaining. I like the dystopian genre, but I wanted more from this story. I hope Jordan Locke writes some more books soon.
 ♥ Rebecca ♥
This review can also be found on my blog: A Match Made in Heaven

I was really looking forward to reading this because I found the concept so interesting. I wanted to see a girl who didn't understand "why she breaks the rules, just to be near him." The idea of a girl not knowing anything about boys, having never even seen one before, yet falling for one all the same, without even knowing he was a boy. It sounded like a 'love conquers all' type of story, which is pretty much the whole reason why I
Roxanne Kade
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book was exciting and so different from what I was expecting.

I will admit that I didn't really read the blurb ( I hate reading blurbs because sometimes they give too much away ) and I'm actually glad I didn't, because it allowed me to find the little gems that were placed throughout this book, and to enjoy every second without knowing exactly what was around the next corner.

I'm not a huge fan of Dystopian fiction, but I have to say that most of the books in this genre that I have had t
Kellie Maddox-Ward
Books Laid Bare
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was given a copy by the author in exchange for an honest review
The story tells the tale of Mary and Taylor – two young people caught in an unfathomable situation, some 200 years after an epidemic targeted and destroyed the population of earth. The unclarified disease first decimated the male population but women were not immune and they too suffered at its hand and in the end only limited small pockets of survivors remained.
Mary lives in Sector One with around 300 other surviving females – un
Kimber Wheaton
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

The Only Boy is a dystopian with a unique and interesting premise. The world created by Jordan Locke is eerie, strange, and one that makes me nauseated just thinking about it. It takes place a couple centuries after most of the population has been wiped out by an epidemic that first targeted all the males. Pockets of the descendants of survivors live together in this haunting tale.

The story alternates points of view between Ma
Becca  ☾☁︎⋆ (PrettyLittleMemoirs.com)
The premise of The Only Boy was pretty explanatory. We did delve into the storyline right away, but by the middle I was absorbed until the end in just one weekend of reading. I felt that I could understand how it would feel that Mary and Taylor were watched by the Matriarch all the time with every move they made. It was definitely spot-on for a dystopian world and the society was a very original idea that I loved.

Immediately, we are thrown into the mix of the story in the alternate POV's of Ma
Léatitia Brière
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
(In advance, I'm sorry for possible English's mistakes, I'm French :))

I really loved this book !

From the begining to the end, it's full of surprises, when you think it's going to be this way, something or someone comes up and it changes everything. I read it in less than 24 hours, it was so easy to get in the story and follow the characters as they struggled with their memories, fears, and their own ghosts.

Sometimes, when I read a book, I prefer one character over another but this time, maybe be
Ahnika Hendrickson
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
WOW... Amazing book!! I highly recommend people to read this book! I actually started reading this book on May 9th, and I just finished it on May 11th. This book is so addicting! First off, the cover is very interesting.. it definitely made me interested to learn more about it. But the book itself, was sooo good! I am not going to give away any spoilers, because I do recommend this book. However, I will let you know this is a very cool book- it has the post-apocalyptic vibe, which is very intere ...more
Kristen
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book "The Only Boy"! I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys YA dystopian novels. I found this book through a recommendation on Twitter and ordered it from Amazon. It is a self-published novel and I have to wonder why a traditional publisher didn't snap it up because it is a great book that would have mass appeal. I blew through this book in one day, so caught up in the story that I didn't want to put it down. I enjoyed the characters, plot, and pace of the novel. Well worth a lo ...more
vvb
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopia, young-adult
Very engaging dystopia tale told in two voices. There are back and forth perspectives from main characters, Mary and Taylor which was effective in understanding the characters and their predicaments.

Got me thinking of the power of women and matriarchal societies.

Side note: I must admit, it was refreshing to read a story that was presented and resolved in one book rather than part of a trilogy or series.
Janel
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I got this book from the author and I'm glad I was given a chance to read it. It's written in 2 points of view and is interesting to read the differences in how the characters see the same event. There is mystery, suspense, and friendship, and love. It had me wanting to get to the end to find out what happens. Also wasn't as predictable as I thought in the beginning. Very well done! Look forward to more from this author!
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
The concept of this book is great, and it's really well done. Although it was hard to get into at first as I thought the writing style was a bit young for me, when I did get into it I was hooked, and didn't stop reading until I had finished it. A great read, really makes you think.
Rhomy
Meh. It was an interesting concept but (IMHO) it was poorly developed.
Everything happens so fast. His disclosure, the way Mary and Taylor feel attracted to each other.
There are a few things that don't add up. Like some people still eating canned food after decades... nothing lasts that long. or the fact that all the vehicles have fuel even though noone scavenges very far.

Anyway... it was a fast read but there was something missing and I didn't buy the romance nor connected with any of the cha
Bianca
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Let me kick off this review by saying that I am a sucker for dystopia. I read everything I can find from this genre, because I usually love everything that comes with a story about our future. There were few times when I couldn’t get into a dystopia book, but I can’t even remember the titles of the books. I do remember one, though. And it’s called “The Only Boy”.
This is not my style. Writing negative reviews. I would rather not write a review at all then write a negative one. But this time I hav
Kathryn Svendsen
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The world has changed. Men have been wiped off the face of the earth by an incurable disease (and many of the women too) For generations now male baby mortality has been 100 percent and so there are only women left in the world and there are very few of them left. Most of the world is left in ruins with small pockets of habitation. The disease affected not only humans, but animals and insects. In Section One, a new girl comes to live when her previous home, Section Seven is destroyed in an attac ...more
Christopher Harding
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a beautifully designed book, inside and out. No credit is given for the cover artwork and design but I'm going to assume, since the author is a graphic designer, that he (she?) did it himself. Very professional looking, and it was the strength of the design which prompted me to buy the book. You have to figure if this much care has been taken on a cover, then a similar amount of care in the writing might reasonably be expected as well.
And it pretty much is. I was drawn in from the very s
RA Frick
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
When I saw the synopsis for The Only Boy I was extremely curious. As a young, passionate feminist, I used to rail about genetics having reached a point which we no longer need the male of our species. As an older, but no less passionate, wife and mother of two boys, I am willing to admit I'd like to keep them around.

The book opens with Mary, a narrator that knows how to paint the scene, then quickly switches to Taylor, who has a secret. We are meant know that Taylor is a boy before he ever spe

Tamara
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
The main premise of this book is pretty straight forward....an epidemic - called the Cleansing - targeted the males of the world essentially wiping them out of existence.....or so they thought.

Mary has never seen a boy. Living in a former hospital now named Sector One, she and other women follow the strict rules of the Matriarch. Every book has had the pictures of the men cut out or marked out. If the women break a rule, then they are thrown into the pit......left in a dark and depressing cage w
Stephanie H (My Bookish Itinerary)

I really like the cover.

The Story:

Overall, I enjoyed reading this book.
I found that it was very fast-paced.
And to me it felt a little rushed. But I think that was due to the fact that I wasn't really aware of how much time was actually passing by. So what I thought was one or two days later turned out to be weeks or a month later. So after figuring this out, it wasn't as rushed as I originally thought. I wish I would have been able to realize a bit more the time frame.
I found the concept of the
Books
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ellen-s-reviews
With so many dystopian novels out there, I was a bit skeptical about reading The Only Boy. Was I pleasantly surprised? Oh yes! Not only does this book have an original and refreshing plot, it also doesn't use a world power or controlling government system as the power source that makes the world a dismal place for some to live in.

This time ‘The Cleansing’, thought to be an epidemic, hit the world and killed off the males of all species. Women, however, could also get sick, causing small groups
Katiria
Apr 08, 2014 rated it liked it
( I was given this book by the author exchanged for an honest review. Thank You Jordan Locke! )

Ok I am going to be honest about this book. I was just only ok with The Only Boy the synopsis peeked my interest so I gave it a go when the author contact me if I wanted to read his book for exchanged for an honest review. While I did like this book I just didn't love it. The plot was very interesting to me a dystopian world where there are only females while the world was wiped out of all males humans
Marcia
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Only Boy stond al erg lang op mijn TBR en ik was dan ook heel blij toen ik dit boek voor een prikje kon aanschaffen via Facebook. Na een wereld zonder kinderen – in The Children of Men – las ik nu over een wereld zonder mannen. Een enorm fascinerend idee, waarbij de meeste aandacht gaat naar de personages zelf. Hoewel ik normaal veel waarde hecht aan een gedegen world building die tot in de details compleet is, vond ik het bij The Only Boy geen enkel probleem dat ik wat minder te weten kwam ...more
Caryn Watson Watz Books and Teasers
Wow I had no idea what to expect with this book it's totally different to anything else I've read yet I loved it.

What would you do when everything you know is turned upside down would you fight for freedom an love. This is a story of fighting heartbreak disease and has a kinda HEA. Read it today
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Nomad
  • Sanctuary
  • Enmity
  • Iron Pendulum (Periodic, #2)
  • TaleSpins
  • Goddess Born (Goddess Born, #1)
  • Darkest Worlds: A Dystopian Anthology
  • Unbreathable
  • Shattered Worlds: Six Dystopian Novels
  • The Color of Rain
  • Blackwood Crossing (British Agent, #2)
  • Shadow Fire (Light Chronicles, #1)
  • Irradiated (The Tunnel Trilogy, #1)
  • Replica (Replica, #1)
  • Deliver Me
  • Life in the Palace (The Palace Saga, #1)
  • Earth (The Invasion Trilogy #1)
  • Escucha Means Listen
“I love you. Not your body, not your face." I hold her hand to my chest. "As you are. As you will be.” 0 likes