Start by marking “When” as Want to Read:
When

When

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  9,849 ratings  ·  1,813 reviews
Maddie Fynn is a shy high school junior, cursed with an eerie intuitive ability: she sees a series of unique digits hovering above the foreheads of each person she encounters. Her earliest memories are marked by these numbers, but it takes her father’s premature death for Maddie and her family to realize that these mysterious digits are actually death dates, and just like ...more
Published January 13th 2015 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about When, please sign up.
Victoria Here's the part where I will admit to never having heard of Rachel Ward's books prior to writing When, Suzanne. (I must've been sleeping under a…moreHere's the part where I will admit to never having heard of Rachel Ward's books prior to writing When, Suzanne. (I must've been sleeping under a pretty big rock!) :) The first I'd heard about her Numbers' series was, in fact, here, after this page for When was created and another reader had posted similar concerns. Still, the series sounds awesome, and the topic of death dates seems to be more widely popular than just her books and mine - Denton Little's Death Date comes out in 2015, and that also looks to be an amazing book. :)(less)
E.S. I legitimately used this when I was talking about this book to a teen at the library. I knew he liked Death Note and I was like "Basically, the main…moreI legitimately used this when I was talking about this book to a teen at the library. I knew he liked Death Note and I was like "Basically, the main character has Shinigami eyes." (less)

·  9,849 ratings  ·  1,813 reviews

Lola
Mar 04, 2016 rated it did not like it

DNFing at the beginning of a month is never a good sign for me. But I can’t help it. I started this read back in February - ha, like that was ages ago or something - and I can't muster the motivation to continue this unexciting story.

WHEN is just not what I was looking forward to read; I wanted a paranormal story, not a contemporary and I needed a mature heroine, not someone who acts first and thinks later. I mean… of course calling a mom to assure her that her son is really in danger and will d
Do you know what the blurb of Death Date reminded me of?

death note gif photo: Death Note tumblr_m7fuv1YJ4A1rb1dbto1_500.gif

Quick, somebody call L.

photo motivation_zps26144031.gif  photo depressed_zpse10f506d.gif
Aj the Ravenous Reader

The cover of the book will give you a dystopian/sci-fi sort of vibe, so I was totally surprised to find out that this is YA contemporary with a dab…er…a splash of paranormal which in this case is both good and bad.

It’s good because the story revolves around a very creative premise. Maddie has an abnormal ability to read people’s deaths, the figures plastered on people’s foreheads (such a lovely sight!).

It’s good because the plot navigates along an unexpected route that made the paranormal them
Giselle
Sep 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebook, arc
I'm DNFing this. Everything is just so far fetched and I have zero interest to keep going past the halfway point. I seem to be in the minority here so I'm not sure what I missed, but this one's not for me.

Why? Ok so, Maddie can see deathdates on everyone's forehead which I find really interesting for a book premise - I enjoyed that aspect a lot actually - but the use of it in this plot is ridiculous most of the time. This girl tells a mother her son will die (important to note the mom came to he
Faye, la Patata
If you think this is your usual paranormal book where a girl finds herself capable of doing some pretty cool shit and doesn't know how to use it and consequently gets frustrated until she finds the Love Interest/s who help/s her channel her powers for good before they run off to the sunset to their happily ever after, STOP RIGHT THERE! I shit you not, When by Victoria Laurie is anything but... that. It gets rid of the overused PR formula and breathes into it new life. I'm telling you right now t ...more
Ari
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh, what a feast for my senses!

My verdict: Incredible, addictive and absolutely well done (in terms of writing style, characters, plot, suspense, even that cute ending)!

“When” or “Death Date” (depending on the edition) is an amazing paranormal story full of mystery and turnarounds. It has a gripping plot, great character development.. and for some reason I simply can’t get it out of my mind. I really loved it and now its memory is haunting me – not that I’m complaining ^_^

In fact, I want this s
bookaholic_kim
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to bookaholic_kim by: Katerina
Fantasy + Mystery thriller = Is the best!

If you would have a special ability. What would it be? I would like to be a jumper (so I can just go to places I wanna visit) haha. By the way, this book is recommended to me by the awesome Katerina. Thanks to her I got to read this awesome book.

Anyways, the story is about this 16 year old girl, Maddie who has an ability. But lemme remind you that abilities are not always good. The girl sees numbers on everybody’s forehead. This numbers are death dates.
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
Full review NOT to come because while trying to find out if this novel will have a sequel (the ending is open enough for it), I realized why the author's name sounded so familiar: she's a BBA from 2008. I'm not going to spend a good hour of my time writing about her book when I'm just going to end up humiliated in her books one day. This novel has been given the rating it earned regardless of my opinion of her behavior.

When turned out to be an okay thriller that actually took into account the fa
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
When is a very impressive and incredibly compelling standalone book by Victoria Laurie. It’s the sort of book that pulls you in from its first sentence and refuses to let go. The opening chapter does an excellent job in making us care for Maddie, our protagonist, and at the same time, it gives us a great idea of what lies ahead. This suspenseful, surprisingly well-written book kept me on the edge of my seat throughout, which wasn’t achieved through cheap tricks and tropes, but through a
Bonnie Shores
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen-life
You know how you watch those movies where the girl goes all by herself to explore something she saw or heard in a dark and empty house and you scream at the tv, "Don't do it! Go back! Wait for help!" But, of course, she stupidly goes in anyway?! In some respects, that is this book.

description

The premise is really interesting—Maddie was born with the ability to see numbers on people's foreheads. Turns out these numbers are "death dates". Kinda cool, right? Sure. Only Maddie's alcoholic mother spends their b
nick
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc

The idea of a main character able to see the death dates of people becoming embroiled in a murder investigation was utterly thrilling. I was excited to dive into When because of that. However, When wound up disappointing me because of how unrealistic it was. I think I had built my expectations for this book a little too high.

Ever since her dad died, Maddie has had a bit of a rough life. She didn't until her dad passed away that the numbers she saw on people's foreheads were their death dates, so
☕️Kimberly
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Caffeinated Aspects:

The premise for When is interesting and a little creepy. Imagine knowing the date everyone will die. How Maddie came to do readings was believable and immediately allowed the reader to connect. It makes you ponder the questions, "Would you want to know your end date?"
It is a standalone! In a sea of trilogies, series and serials it was fantastic to slip into a world and get a complete story.
Maddie Fynn is an interesting character who struggles with her gift and dealing w
Alia
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I wanted to read something different, so once I checked the description of this book, I immediately started reading it and OH MY GOD! I'm so glad I did!
I actually read it in one sitting! I couldn't stop until I knew what would happen.
I've loved every single thing about this book, from the characters to the plot. Everything.
And I was always on edge and didn't even get bored.
This was a refreshing read and probably one of my favourite books this year!
Cixllera
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was almost a DNF for me because the beginning was so boring. Literally nothing happened in the first half of the book.

LIKE DO SOMETHING. PLEASE.

It is honestly a really interesting concept that Maddie can see death dates and even gets pulled into a murder investigation
but the plot is JUST. SO. REPETITIVE.

This is a 4 because it speed up towards the middle and things ACTUALLY STARTED HAPPENING. The ending was reallyy goooddd though which is why this rating is high and not a 2. If you g
Keertana
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Imagine being able to look at a person and see, always, the day of their death looming above them. It may be an extraordinary gift, sure, but it's also a curse. One that Maddie Fynn knows all too well. Ever since she was young, Maddie has been able to see the deathdays of those around her. It first happened when she drew a family portrait and wrote the etched the date of her father's death on paper and, ever since, her talent has singled Maddie out as a loner. With only one frie
Amanda Kratz
Apr 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Actual rating 2.5

There is something incredibly readable about this. I breezed through it in no time at all and was never bored. Extremely annoyed at times, but not bored.

Plot: Maddie can see the date that people are going to die and when kids from the town start dying on the days she has foretold the police assume she and her best friend are serial killers.

Her powers are never explained they simply are. However what annoys me until the last 20 pages of the book the date she sees is the date. Th
Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws

Maddie Fynn is your average teenager with a special gift. She can see numbers associated with each and every person. It was her father’s death that alerted her of the fact that the numbers that she sees are the death dates of that individual. Following her father’s death, her mother goes on a downward spiral and becomes an alcoholic. She uses Maddie’s gift to have sessions with people and warn them off for some extra cash. However, Maddie only knows the dates and not the how and why of it… So wh
Chloe M
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-9-weeks
I read the book When by Victoria Laurie. When is a book about a high school girl named Maddie Finn. At a young age she finds out that she has a special ability. She sees numbers that that float on peoples for heads. Her life has been hard losing her dad then her mom turning in to an alcoholic. Her life is like a rolcoster with all the up and down she has had in it. Her ability of seeing numbers has not made it any easier. In the beginning there was one spot that lost my attention but, I kept r ...more
Valerie
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
First, this isn't a romance. There is a hint in the blurb that it is but Maddie's attraction to Aiden is such a miniscule part of the story that it didn't even come into play.

Second, for me, this story was too forced. There are several things I'm just not buying at all. The paranormal aspect of it is fine. I'm not bothered by that at all. It's the FBI and school issues that just had me fuming mad. As a teacher, I saw so many things that just wouldn't happen in a school or with teenagers that I k
Booknut
**Check out the original review over at 21st Century Once Upon A Times**
'Why am I seemingly the only person on earth who can see these numbers? Why did fate choose me for such a cruel gift?

It's a question I've asked myself a million times, and I'm still looking for the answer. I think there may not be one, because knowing when someone will die has never changed anything. I've never saved anybody or given them more time.

I'm just the messenger.
'
Small black gravestones against a pale white landsc
Amanda
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm pretty impressed with this book as a whole. Maddie is a girl with an ability to see death dates, but the paranormal aspect of the book ends there. Victoria Laurie made the perfect recipe with this book. She used a pinch of supernatural ability, threw it into a realistic world and then stirred in a mystery. Her book came out as a captivating page turner with an unexpected ending.

Let me talk about that for a second. I read in a couple reviews that the ending wasn't expected. So I spent the ent
haley
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

Wow, this was really good! I was expecting to not like this very much, because the beginning was a bit slow, and some things made no sense, and a certain character was an idiot, but I ended up really enjoying this.

I really liked Maddie, she was just really nice and I sympathized with her quite easily. The friendship between Maddie and Stubby was really cute, although Stubby kind of acted like an idiot sometimes. And Mrs. Duncan was so sweet! I hated the FBI guys at first
Keira L
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-nine-weeks
I loved this book because it was about a girl named Maddie Fynn a shy high school girl, who could see people's death dates! It's a little scary being her because not everyone believes her. So when a mother comes over to their house to see if her sick child will live, she hands Maddie a picture of her two sons. Maddie says " Your child that is sick will live but, your other child's death date is soon." The mother starts yelling at Maddie because she doesn't believe is her younger child is going t ...more
Sivi
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
description

So frustrating and yet so good!
I loved it from the very beginning to the end. It kept me so intrigued that I couldn’t stop reading. It’s one of those books that are really frustrating because everything seems to be against the main character, Maddie, who happens to see deathdates on people’s foreheads. You can imagine how many problems that can bring you.

When I was through the middle of the book I kind of hated every character except Maddie, but at the end I loved them all because that endin
Ashley
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, e-arc

This book was FAAABULOUS! It was super intense and un-put-downable. I read through the night! I love how I couldn't guess the ending at all.

I even liked how the book had no romance! There was a tiny bit of a crush but it only tied in at the beginning, middle, and end. It wasn't an actual romance. That allowed for the mystery/thrill to dominate the book, and that was epic!!
Gilbert Stack
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I don’t quite know what to think about this book. On the one hand, it is an undeniably enjoyable tale about a teenaged girl with the undesirable ability to see the date of when any person she meets will die. She can even see the death date in a photograph. As you might imagine, this is not a blessing. It causes her to be socially isolated in school and it has helped to send her mother into alcoholism when her father is killed on precisely the day Maddy predicted.

The characters are all well draw
Kitkat
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I loved the ending. I predicted some of it but I'm so happy that the antagonist was a good serial killer. I mean the killers are very cliche in books but Mrs. Laurie did an amazing job. I loved the characters and how Madelyn struggles with her powers. I liked at the ending when she looks at her love interest and sees life instead of death. I cannot wait to read more of her books. One recommendation of her books is Anna Dressed in Blood.
jskdkslkde
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-9-weeks
Sixteen year old Maddie Fynn knows when a person will die. She sees the date as numbers on the individual's forehead, whether in a photo or in person. Since her dad's death in first grade, Maddie's mom has soothed herself by drinking and is now an alcoholic. Ms. Fynn cannot hold down a consistent job, so Maddie does death date readings for clients to help pay the bills, when she is not in school.

When Mrs. Tibbolt's child dies shortly after a reading, Maddie and her best friend, Stubby, are con
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Disney Book Group and NetGalley.)

This was an interesting story about a girl with a paranormal skill.

Maddie was a sweet girl and I felt really sorry for her when she was accused of being involved in a child’s murder. She really didn’t deserve the treatment that she received from both the FBI and her classmates, and it really wasn’t fair on her.

The storyline in this was pretty good, although I did find it
Anna Reads
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
I like not knowing where a plot is going…but it felt like there were almost too many false leads and mysterious clues in When. A bit too all over the place for me, plus a little too “show, not tell.”

Aaaand you know how I feel when there isn’t as much romance as I’d like.

But still, this paranormal/mystery/suspense had me just enough intrigued to keep me reading. I really appreciated how FREAKED OUT it made me about how easily someone could frame you for murder. OMG HUGE FEAR OF MINE AHHH.

A mixed

• The Color of Grace
  • Losing It
  • Student Bodies (Poltergeeks, #2)
  • The Leveller (The Leveller, #1)
  • Just Flirt
  • Blood Orange Soda
  • Shadowed By Wings (Dragon Temple Saga, #2)
  • Alive
  • Tear You Apart (Beau Rivage, #2)
  • Dead to Me
  • Twisted Fate
  • Bruised
  • The Truth About Us
  • Submerging (Swans Landing, #2)
  • Con Academy
  • She's So Money
  • Deviant
  • Powerless (The Hero Agenda, #1)
Victoria Laurie is the New York Times bestselling author of 30 books and counting. Victoria divides her time between her two adult mystery series, (The Psychic Eye Mysteries, and The Ghost Hunter Mysteries), and a Y/A thriller, When (Formerly titled Death Date), to be released in early January of 2015.

As a professional psychic, Victoria's protagonists - psychic Abigail Cooper, and spiritual medium
“Hey,” Faraday said after a few seconds. “Did you know your clock’s still ten minutes fast?” 12 likes
“Deep down it still really bothered me, but I tried not to let it show.” 6 likes