Start by marking “And I Alone Survived” as Want to Read:
And I Alone Survived

And I Alone Survived

The drama began as Lauren Elder joined two friends for a pleasure flight from San Francisco to Death Valley. The little plane strained to rise above the jagged crest of the High Sierra. The views were magnificent. Suddenly, Lauren's excitement turned to shock. The plane was heading straight for the mountain. It smashed fifteen feet short of the summit. Her friends dead, he ...more
Published January 1st 1978 by Dutton Books

To ask other readers questions about And I Alone Survived, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And I Alone Survived

Rachel Brown
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Amazing survival story of a young woman who was the sole survivor of a small plane crash high in the mountains. With no food, a broken arm, and still in her party clothes, she climbed and hiked for three days to find help.

For a non-professional author, the prose is not bad at all, and the descriptions are clean and vivid. Very well worth reading if you like survival stories.
Goldenwattle
Sep 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
The true survival story of a remarkable escape from an aeroplane crash high in the Sierra Nevada Mountains in the US. Lauren Elder was determined to survive and despite the insanity of hallucinations she made it. The other two people in the plane were not so lucky, one dying of head injuries and the other of internal bleeding. I was surprised though that Lauren did not suspect Jay had internal bleeding – abdominal pain – cold limbs. Although even if she had she could have done nothing to help. S ...more
Lucy
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's amazing that this woman survived not only the crash that killed the others on the small plane she was on, but also the treacherous trek to safety. She was injured, was poorly dressed for the conditions, and didn't know where the closest town would be. But she just kept going.
The writing style itself isn't going to win any awards but this woman's story is certainly worth reading.
Karen Hogan
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've had this on my bookshelf for 10 years. Can you imagine crashing 15 feet from the top of one of the highest peaks in the Sierra Nevada. This courageous young lady climbed down the other side of this mountain and survived. riveting and un-nerving at the same time. Word to the wise, don't go on plane rides with amateur pilots. They screw up...
Skyring
Jul 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Marlene French
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nf-survival
This is the true story of Lauren Elder who went for an afternoon plane ride with friends...a pilot and his girlfriend...to enjoy Death Valley National Monument. When Jay, the pilot , mistakes his navigation of clearing the mountain they crash into a granite slab thousands of feet in the High Sierras. From there thing begin to happen and I must say it really kept me turning those pages! If you are a true life survivor genre fan I highly recommend this one!
Cheryl
Feb 14, 2016 added it
I remember this cover from when the book was 'the' book that everyone was reading.... I had no interest then, but wouldn't mind reading it now... if only to compare it to The Martian....
Eureka-Gardener
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story of survival after a plane crash in a very remote area.
Charissa
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs-etc
A fascinating, remarkable read about a true miracle!
Claire
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was short but sweet! There's little mystery to this book as the title explains the outcome - it was a fast-paced, epic recounting of how Lauren Elder walked to safety after an aeroplane crash in the heart of the Sierra Nevada mountain range in California.

Clad in only fashionable clothes, with nothing in the way of outdoor gear to aid her, this is a heroic tale of how, using only her wits and her stamina, this young woman manages to survive. As an outdoor enthusiast and woman, this story was
Louisa
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: readmorethanonce
Love this book. 3rd time reading it and her strength and courage impress me every time.
Katie
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well written survival story for those who like those things.
Cindy
Mar 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Non-fiction about a woman who survived a plane crash in the Sierras.
Lavon Smith
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: already-read
I have read this book twice and am amazed at how she made it.
Louise
Mar 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
True story of a woman's courageous battle to survive after a pleasure flight with friends ends in disaster.

I read this book in one sitting it was so good!
Gaile
Mar 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
True story of an air crash in the mountains and the lone author walking down the mountain through snow and ice to civilization.
Shawn Marie Hardy
Nov 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is the best self-help book anyone could possibly ever need.
Anne
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love love love this book!!!! I discovered this book when I was in high school, and it has been a favorite ever since!!!!
Lori Anderson
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
wonderful book. I still remember it and I read it almost 30 years ago.
Carla
Feb 28, 2009 added it
A true story and very interesting book of survival and the will to live. The plane crach occurred near Mount Whitney where we love to go camping.
Gena Lott
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
So real and so authentically written. Loved the courage and heart the book holds as Elder tells of her harrowing experiences!
Angie

• Kiss or Kill: Confessions of a Serial Climber
  • Climbing High: A Woman's Account of Surviving the Everest Tragedy
  • Breaking Trail: A Climbing Life
  • Canyon Solitude: A Woman's Solo River Journey Through the Grand Canyon
  • Touch the Top of the World: A Blind Man's Journey to Climb Farther than the Eye Can See
  • Deep Water Passage
  • A Woman Trapped in a Woman's Body: Tales from a Life of Cringe
  • The Will to Climb: Obsession and Commitment and the Quest to Climb Annapurna--the World's Deadliest Peak
  • Catcher in the Wry