Start by marking “Naked in Death (In Death, #1)” as Want to Read:
Naked in Death (In Death, #1)

Naked in Death (In Death #1)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  140,461 Ratings  ·  4,933 Reviews
In a world of danger and deception, she walks the line--between seductive passion and scandalous murder... Eve Dallas is a New York police lieutenant hunting for a ruthless killer. In over ten years on the force, she's seen it all--and knows her survival depends on her instincts. And she's going against every warning telling her not to get involved with Roarke, an Irish bi ...more
Published July 1st 1995 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Naked in Death, please sign up.
Barbara Rogers I would definitely suggest reading them in order. I read one of the later ones first -- and it does read okay as a stand-alone -- but there were so…moreI would definitely suggest reading them in order. I read one of the later ones first -- and it does read okay as a stand-alone -- but there were so many interpersonal relationships that you just don't understand unless you read them in order. I went from the one I started on -- somewhere in the 20's of the series -- back to the very first one and read from the first one forward -- to the one I had read out of order -- and then I re-read that one. It made a big difference to me in those character relationships.(less)
Karen Check your local library Overdrive has the series available for download. I have enjoyed the audio book version

Tatiana
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance readers
Recommended to Tatiana by: Emily May
... and I was enjoying it up until too swift of a turn into Romancelandia.

The popularity of Naked in Death is completely understandable to me. The attraction here is the same as in the most of urban fantasy IMO. Mystery-solving, some world-building (in this case, futuristic instead of paranormal) - it all is only background noise. What you are actually anticipating is the heroine's hookup with some handsome hunk. (That's what I read urban fantasy for anyway.) And the hunk here is something speci
Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky, and B*tchy ⚓️ Steamy Reads
4 Stars

This was solid.
Fast paced.
Sexy.
Fun.

And old.
Seriously though, there are, what, only 40 thousand books in the series after this one? Lol

Regardless, I see why - I have not a damn thing to add to the multitude of reviews on this - and I look forward to the next one.

Follow us on facebook Follow us on instagram
◆ Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$ ◆
4 STARS

I’d been postponing reading this series for a long time and I’m so glad I finally caved because it was right up my alley.

The thing is, I love murder mysteries and crime-solving books with a touch of romance but the futuristic aspect? Sorry, not my jam.
I don’t like anything futuristic/sci-fi/fantasy related. I never connect to such stories. I don’t know why. Maybe I’m unimaginative and dull. Maybe they scare me.

It’s stupid, I know, but look at it this way. How much older am I than Roarke
Shawna
Apr 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of romantic suspense, tough heroines, & mysteriously delicious alpha heroes
Recommended to Shawna by: My mom & several GR friends
5+ stars – Romantic Suspense

Yes! I've finally read the first book in J.D. Robb's, aka Nora Roberts', vastly popular In Death series, and now I understand why there's 30 books and counting...'cause it's an awesome romantic suspense/futuristic mystery thriller and very addictive. In fact, it's a good thing that I brought the first three books with me on my trip since I wanted to immediately jump into the second book after finishing this. I loved it! And all the flattering Roarke talk is totally ju
Mo
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started this series with a bit of trepidation back in 2015. I knew that JD Robb also wrote as Nora Roberts and I had read another book by Ms Roberts and hated it ... so I was a bit wary about starting the In Death books. But I had heard great things about Roarke. Another reason that put me off reading this series is because he is Irish and, being Irish, if it is not done right, it drives me nuts. But she pulled it off. He is perfection.

I am already up to book 19 but decided to head back to bo
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
OMG I'm melting in here... ROARKE!!! Ladies, don't you ever forget this name!!! He's hot, he's smart, he's funny but the most important thing is he's so freaking HOT! I Loved him a lot. :D You have to meet with him ASAP! :D

And Eve Dallas... Damn, what a strong lady. I loved her too... :)

I will definitely continue to read their story...:)

Whenever I read Roarke's words... This is exactly me. :D

------------------

“I can't tell you how aroused it makes me when you quote codes, lieutenant.”

"I don't l
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
May 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* by: Ren, and Buggy's and Jasmin's review becoming "Roarke Groupies"
4 Stars - Also reviewed at: Lady Jayne's Reading Den

Okay, here’s the quick and dirty... well, sort of. Naked In Death is the first book in the daunting (almost 40 books!!... and still growing) “In Death” series by Nora Roberts, writing as J.D. Robb. I kept putting off reading it, for that very reason.

Though, after recent reviews by Goodreads friends who have joined the growing legion of “Roarke Groupies”, I was most curious to read this book to find out for myself what the fuss is over Roarke
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

For those of you who don't already know, J.D. Robb is an alternate pen name for Nora Roberts. I only read my first Nora Roberts' book about a year ago, and was--to put it mildly--pleasantly surprised.

I'd always assumed that Roberts wrote cornball Walmart-paperback-romances for-your-grandmother, and when I saw a new book with "Witch" in the title, I figured she had jumped on the paranormal train, but was curious enough to check it out.

It was kind of amazing.

And w
 ⚔ Sh3lly - Grumpy Name-Changing Wanderer ⚔

I finally get to cross this one off my TBR shelf - and I quite enjoyed it!! :)

For being written in the 90s, this holds up pretty darn well. In a way, there may not be a whole lot of uniqueness going on - it's a cop murder mystery - but it flows quite well and kept my interest. I grew to like Eve, the police lieutenant, and Roarke, the roguish millionaire (billionaire?) who is more complicated and interesting than he first appears.

I am definitely interested in continuing the series. It's only a t
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Spectacular!!!

5 stars!

No, wait! 5+++++ Amazing, Thrilling, Provocative Stars!

The Story -

Naked in Death is the first book in J.D. Robb’s insanely popular In Death series. It’s a fantastic mystery thriller and once I started, I couldn't put it down...errr...turn it off!
It is the year 2058, and technology now completely rules the world. But New York City Detective Eve Dallas knows that the irresistible impulses of the human heart are still ruled by just one thing-passion.

When a senator's daught
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
5 I Should Have Read This Sooner Stars

So, I started this book 4 days ago and now I'm already reading book 4 so you can guess that I loved this, the book and the series so far.

The first book was great. It had everything, a kick-ass heroine with a bad past, a powerful, slightly shady and richer than Midas hero, a great mystery and a serial killer, all that set in a futuristic world which was surprisingly well thought and realistic for a book written 20 years ago when even cell phones were a rarity
Jilly
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is a book that was written over 20 years ago, but is set in the future. And, you can tell. I don't know why, but it just feels like it was written a while back.

great prediction, Jetsons. It's called a "roomba" and doesn't wear an apron..

But, I still liked all of the futuristic stuff in the story - it was fun! There was the "AutoChef" that made you food, a floating mattress - I'm thinking that would be soft and comfy, flying cars - I've been waiting forever for one of these!, tubes of Pepsi
♥Sharon♥
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Even better the second time around! LOVED LOVED LOVED it. ❤

❤❤I’ve been missing these two. Going back to the beginning of a series that I LOVE. ❤❤

************

I loved Naked in Death which is book #1 in the In Death Series by J.D. Robb. As I write this I can say I loved book #2 as well (I’ll be writing a short review soon). And I am on to book #3 and loving it already. A lot of love going on here but rightfully so. I sure hope it continues through the 40 or so books within this series. YES I said 4
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I liked this as a mystery just as much as I liked it as a romance. Love a good mystery that keeps me guessing. I had my ideas about who the culprit was, and I was more or less right, although I had that kernel of doubt. I liked how this was a very well-plotted mystery. I think that it helped that the underlying aspects were so dark that I didn't think the story would go there.

Eve is a great protagonist. She's tough, intelligent, but vulnerable in some ways. She's a very good cop, and she goes a
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Huh. I guess I *might* have been able to get behind the instalove and other corny quotes if the love interest's MO hadn't been following some kind of Abuser 101 Guide : indeed Roarke repeatedly uses both physical force and psychological harassment to manipulate the heroine into thinking that what they share is a love story. Oh hell no dude, red flags everywhere. I have no patience for Christian Grey's duplicates (or, rather : inspiration?? Naked in Death was published years before and the simila
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (On Hiatus)
★★★★★ 5 Suspense-Filled stars ★★★★★

Its true in all my reading time,I've never really picked up a Nora Robert so far.Its true in this case I did judge the book by its cover.Every time I passed a book store to pick up my reads I always tended to shy away from the Pure Romance section,and chose Mystery-Romance Or Erotica-Romance or another combination over Chic-lite or Angst.
After all there was always next month.

And when I heard J.D Robb was an Alias of Nora Robert.I was quite excited to give this
Julie
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had never read a single book in this series. Fans know there are a great many of them now. I read the synopis on the back of the book and was instantly put off by the futuristic setting. I really don't like Science fiction and anything set in the future. History is my big thing. But, I kept hearing how good these books were, so I picked up a used copy of the first one and could not put it down.
Now, if you have read Nora Roberts and think this is some extension of her other stuff, think again.
Rachel Reads Ravenously
2 stars

Unfortunately this book just wasn't for me. It started out strong, but by the last 100 pages I no longer cared what happened to the characters. I've never been a huge Nora Robert's fan, I find her romance too cheesy/formulaic for my taste. But I wanted to give this series a chance.
I happen to be in a reading/reviewing slump, it's hard for me to review book that were just "meh" for me. So I'm going to break this down.

What didn't work:
-the plot: it was all over the place, half romance hal
Alex ♈
Suspense – 5 stars / Romance – 3 stars

What could I say about this book to sound fancy?
Nothing. You said it all.

Why did I wait so long to start this series? -> How original?..
I can’t believe this book was written more than 20 years ago! -> Never heard it before?

Blah blah blah

I liked it. Crime and suspense were written brilliantly.
I cracked the secret/suspense at approx.. 60% *pat myself on the back*

As to the romance part – I’m not sure.
I expected the heroine being bigger badass, and I im
Emma
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel slightly embarrassed to admit I absolutely loved this. A great combination of romance and crime. I really liked the fact that Roarke was completely into Eve from the first time he met her. I really enjoyed the slight sci fi elements too. So pleased to see there are many in the series as they are perfect as a light read. I just hope they don't become too formulaic.
Recommended.
Catherine
*Originally read 12/10/10 - 12/11/10*

I've known about this series for quite a while, and I'm a big Nora Roberts fan, but I hadn't really wanted to pick this series up. There's about a billion books out in the series. What if I ended up loving it? Then I have to commit myself to buying those billion books just to catch up! But after hearing such glowing things about this series from most of my Goodreads friends--especially about Roarke--I had to finally bight the bullet and get the first book.

Phrynne
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a reread for me but the last time I read it was probably 1998 or thereabouts. It was such a delight to read it again. When J.D. Robb wrote this first book in what was then going to be just a trilogy I wonder if she had any idea of what she had created. 40 or so books later we all feel we own a little bit of Eve and Roarke and their amazing world and we are always waiting for more!
I love Naked in Death. It introduces us to our two most important characters, begins their delightful relatio
Bark
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread on audio. I read this book back when it was first released and as I started the audio I quickly realized my memory is not at all good! I wonder if it'll live up to my painfully vague memories of it?

Later:

I read this when was it first released in 1995 and decided to give it a reread on audio hoping it would hold up so many, many years later. 23 years later, actually! How did that happen? This book is older than my kids. Older, probably, than a few of my friends here too! Obviously, I remem
Felicia
Dec 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I am addicted to this series, I absolutely love it, and it gets better as it goes along (I'm on book 5 now).

It's romance/mystery, so if you like a splash of sex with your serial killers, this is the series for you!!
Karla
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Karla by: Carol
4 stars!

So this a 40 plus book series with the same couple! Yup! I think I lost my mind since I rarely even finish a trilogy! But I can’t help myself it seems since, it’s Nora Roberts we’re talking about.

Anyway as far as book one goes I loved it! In till I started reading this one I hadn’t realize that this is a futuristic series which for me made it even better.

We have detective Eve Dallas, who is investigating the death of the senator daughter’s. During the investigation she meets the gorgeo
edge of bubble
There are a lot of great reviews for this book so I'll be short. Considering the year it was written, the futuristic aspects were good. Murder mystery was okay. What I didn't like was the romance part. I am very easy to sell on couples and love stories. Just gimme some steam and sappy thoughts, and put the couple together in an okay way and I'm rooting for them. Here, I just couldn't root for the romance. Heroine was too robotic or too indistinct in that setting. Still, I enjoyed the book and wi ...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

I’ve done with this series something I’ve never done before, jumped right in with the latest installment and skipped everything that came before. I soon realized my mistake, though. While each book can easily function as a standalone, missing even a word of this enchanting series is a crime. So here I am, going back to the beginning, meeting Eve and Roarke in their early days and sharing their journey from the start.

Naked in Death was first released in 1995, but it’s still fresh and in
Brenda
Lieutenant Eve Dallas had been on the force for ten years and in that time had seen it all – or so she thought. But when she was called into a Code Five – highly sensitive, no media output – the disgust had her stomach clenching. But find the killer she would..

High on her list of suspects was a man she hadn’t come across before – Roarke, a handsome Irish billionaire – and she was drawn to him; him to her. But it went against everything Eve was to succumb to his charms; especially in the midst of
Seda
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Seda by: Hulya Kara Yuksel
Bütün yıldızlarım Roarke için, puan verirken çok taraflı davrandım, uyarayım.

İlk kez polisiye okurken, gözümden kalpler çıkardım 😍😍 Tabii ki tek sebebi Roarke aşkım ♥♥ Gözüm ne katil gördü, ne cinayet. Adam konuya girdiği anda oturduğum odada rüzgar esti resmen. Onun olduğu diyalogları büyülenmiş gibi sırıtarak okuduğumu fark ettim bir süre sonra. Uzun zamandır (sanırım Gideon Cross’tan beri) böyle bir karakter okumamıştım. Kadın ya da erkek karakterler bazı kitaplarda güçlü ve sağlam duruyor, k
Stacey is Sassy

Let’s try again…

You’ve got to love a prolific writer. If you’re fortunate enough, you might even find a good prolific writer. Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb is one of the best. There is one problem though…it’s expensive to become a fan. It can be intimidating to find an author that is already established. In the case of J.D. Robb, we’re talking about a series that is heading towards 45 books ALREADY. That is a lot of moola, and when you’re at #1 it can even put you off starting the series. It has the po
Page won’t load 1 2 Jun 13, 2018 02:23PM
X's & O's Romance...: Favorite 'In Death' series quotes 4 9 May 09, 2018 02:05PM
When to start? 1 16 Feb 06, 2018 03:04PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: In Death series - Starting November 23rd, 2017 3 13 Dec 02, 2017 05:47AM
Turning Pages At ...: In Death Series by J. D. Robb (Crime/Mystery Buddy Read) by J. D. Robb 57 18 Nov 05, 2017 06:49AM
Play Book Tag: Naked in Death / J.D. Robb. 3.5 stars 11 20 Mar 11, 2017 10:23PM
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • Over the Edge (Troubleshooters, #3)
  • Naked Edge (I-Team, #4)
  • Dream Man
  • Deadly Fear (Deadly, #1)
  • Heart of Obsidian  (Psy-Changeling, #12)
  • Billionaires Prefer Blondes (Samantha Jellicoe, #3)
  • Armed & Dangerous (Cut & Run, #5)
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
  • Death of a Pirate King (The Adrien English Mysteries, #4)
  • In Too Deep (Arcane Society, #10; Looking Glass Trilogy, #1)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th ...more
More about J.D. Robb

In Death (1 - 10 of 48 books)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
  • Judgment in Death (In Death, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Mind's Eye (Inspector Van Veeteren #1)
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Less Than A Treason (Kate Shugak, #21)
    $9.99 $4.49
  • The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective, #1)
  • 15 Seconds
    $6.99 $1.99
  • You'll Never Know, Dear
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
  • The Secret Mother
    $2.99 $1.49
“I want to see you again." He stopped, took her face in his hands. "I need to see you again."

Her pulse jumped, as if it had nothing to do with the rest of her. "Roarke, what's going on here?"

"Lieutenant." He leaned forward, touched his lips to hers. "indications are we're having a romance.”
232 likes
“You--Roarke." Eyes watering, she reached for more tissue. "Jesus, Eve. Jesus Christ, you never sleep with anybody. And you're telling me you slept with Roarke?"

"That's not precisely accurate. We didn't sleep.”
125 likes