Start by marking “Jane and the Ghosts of Netley (Jane Austen Mysteries, #7)” as Want to Read:
Jane and the Ghosts of Netley (Jane Austen Mysteries, #7)

Jane and the Ghosts of Netley

(Jane Austen Mysteries #7)

Jane Austen, secret agent, is despatched to Netley Lodge to investigate suspicions about the mysterious Sophia Challoner. Is Mrs Challoner really a Bonapartist agent? As conspiracy gathers around Jane, the young novelist is put to the ulitmate test: is she ready to die for her country?
Published May 27th 2003 by Bantam Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Jane and the Ghosts of Netley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane and the Ghosts of Netley

Laurel
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It is the fall of 1808 and Jane Austen and her family are in mourning after the sudden death of Elizabeth “Lizzy” Austen, the elegant and enchanting thirty-five year old wife of Jane’s elder brother Edward and mother of eleven children. To entertain the two eldest boys while they stay with her in Southampton, Jane takes them rowing up the Solent to the ruins of Netley Abbey, a Cistercian monastery long abandoned and now a picturesque ruin worthy of a Radcliffe Gothic novel, resplendent with tale ...more
Jenna
May 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jeanne Adamek
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jen
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Teresa
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Found this book slow going at first. It picked up near the end. I now know I definitely don't like books where Jane is the main character. The ending surprised me and when I think about it now, I don't know why it did, it couldn't have ended any other way.
I think it would have been a good mystery read with a different character as it's restricted to what can happen because of having a factual person in the main role.
Janeites will possibly enjoy it but it really wasn't for me.
Pam
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
An entertaining tale and interesting as some characters were Catholic recusants. Charles Carroll of Maryland is mentioned as well as Society of Jesus. However, the villain was a tad obvious.
QNPoohBear
This 7th installment finds Jane still living in Southhampton living with her mother, sister and friend while waiting for Mrs. Austen to decide whether to move to one of Edward's holdings in Kent or Hampshire. Jane's curiosity is awakened by the arrival of someone at Netley Abbey. Rumor has it that the Abbey is haunted by ghosts of the monks who used to live there. Jane doesn't quite believe it but it's fun to imagine just the same. She is surprised by a visit from The Gentleman Rogue himself. Lo ...more
Jun 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Tammy
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kim
Jul 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
This series goes from strength to strength. I suspected the malefactor almost immediately, but the suspense of shifting loyalties kept me spellbound until the heartbreaking ending. I almost cried.
Marci
Nov 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Here in Jane Austen’s seventh novel-length adventure, the love story arc stretching from the first book finds its tragic climax, but along the way, Jane Austen’s wit and brilliance take center stage. Readers all know that there is no hope that this romance can end happily, but we have had hope that there would be happiness along the way. Stephanie Barron has provided us with a tale that walks along a tense line dividing happiness and grief.
(view spoiler) ...more
Marfita
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: period-mystery
Becky
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
YES. Absolute favorite so far, the ending regarding Jane and Lord Harold, I actually gasped out loud in shock, it was that unexpected. Whew, now that that's out of the way, this volume walked the fine line, for me, of the reader being able to solve the mystery but still be kept guessing as to certain particulars. This, I believe, it was makes a mystery engaging in the first place, and this installment in the series had it in spades. The new faces we met, Sophia, Mr. Ord, were sympathetic, intere ...more
Meri-Lyn
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is another good story in this series. I enjoyed the mystery involved with the spies and subterfuge between France and Britain in this historical period. This one ends very abruptly. I’m very interested in how the series will continue from this point. I really admire the weaving of facts with fiction that the author accomplishes. I continue to learn more history as I look up details while reading.
Angi
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
This is by far my favorite of the series. Most of the books start out really slowly and take until you are about 35% in to become more interesting. This one pulled the reader in from the start. The authoress is always known for her twist at the end. This twist was one i did not see coming at all. Definitely my favorite so far.
Rahel
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just love this series so mutch. I am also heartbroken over the Death of one of my favorites. I know that in the Next book it will Not be revealed but i would Really like to know, when did he begin to love her.its such a sad Ending but we all knew there wasnt going to be a Wedding. I still wished for it, cause i like Happy endings.
Laura Balcom
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Once again, this was a well-written book in the style of Jane Austen. Though its genre is ostensibly mystery, it’s actually more of a spy thriller and a romance with a tragic ending that made me cry, an excellent, fun read.
Cat {Wild Night In}
I so wanted to love this novel. It's got Jane Austen as the main character, it's set at Netley, it's beautifully written... Sadly the plot was a shade too predictable and Jane Austen was a bit sappy so I didn't love it wholeheartedly.
Tara
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book made me really sad, but I still really liked it. It also made realize that all the political history that I know about Regency England and Jane Austen’s personal history come from this series. I love that about the series.
Amy
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
It's somehow very satisfying to imagine Ms Austen as having lived a larger, less disappointed life. This isn't the first one I've read in the series; the author knows her stuff, captures the voice pretty well, and enjoys a little Gothic flair.

Adria
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent novel. Riveting story line and touching ending. One of her best written novels.
A Hudak
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Not totally convincing as a mystery but this book did provide insights into Jane Austen's time spent in Southampton which is not one of the better known periods of her life.
Rosemary
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoy these novels because of the setting and the pace. I admire the skill the author displays in writing in the style of Jane Austen.
Jan Peregrine
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been savoring this mystery series for many months as I quickly go through it. Having started with the latest, the thirteenth, I eagerly sought the first and up to this seventh in the series. I wasn't impressed with the sixth one, but this one kept me turning pages until the sad, but well-thought-out ending. I really don't know how I could be satisfied with Jane's romantic books now that I've read these novels based on her own journals.

There are no ghosts in the book, but it's de
Amanda
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2011
(view spoiler) ...more
Megan
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: jane-austen, mystery
I started with Jane and the Madness of Lord Byron and haven't really been reading the books in any kind of order since, so the shocking ending of this one did not, of course, shock me at all. Although the story represents an important chapter in the life of Jane Austen as re-imagined by Stephanie Barron, sadly, the story itself lacks substance. There is less mystery to this one--despite the high body count--and more action/espionage thriller. It strains my willing suspension of disbelief a littl ...more
Miriam
Aug 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Another Jane Austen mystery, and in my opinion one of the better ones, if not quite reaching the heights of the Wandering Eye. It was pleasant to see Jane still in the same setting of the previous book, and to witness consequences from that book, such as Jane's acquaintance with Mr. Hawkins and established dislike of the magistrate of Southampton. Additionally, the new characters were charming, especially the captivating Sophia Challoner, and I enjoyed the real-life aspect of Mrs. Fitzherbert ap ...more
Darcy Stewart
Apr 11, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned
I thought this book was going to be a good one, but it wasn't. The book had some high points, but mostly low points. The book is too long and made me stop reading it. I never finished the book. It was a disappointment. Jane's daily things were starting to piss me off. There was a lot in this book that a lot of people don't know, so it's hard to follow along. Seriously if you have to put footnotes at the bottom of the page leave that stuff out. I'm not going to waste time reading that. It's not e ...more
Kristen
Apr 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
In the 7th installment of Stephanie Barron's Being Jane Austen historical mystery series, Jane and the Ghosts of Netley, Jane Austen returned to solve another captivating mystery. When Jane stood above the abandoned and haunted ruins of Netley Abbey, that's when she received a missive from Lord Harold Trowbridge about a possible traitor in their midst, and the dangerous consequences, if she succeeded. Jane was called upon to spy Sophia Challoner, a widow who was rumored to be a spy for Napoleon ...more
Hazel
May 06, 2011 rated it liked it
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Intrigue at Highbury: Or, Emma's Match (Mr. & Mrs. Darcy Mysteries, #5)
  • Jane Goes Batty (Jane Fairfax, #2)
  • Colonel Brandon's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #5)
  • The Legacy of Pemberley (The Pemberley Chronicles, #10)
  • The Darcy Cousins
  • Cassandra and Jane
  • The Persuasion of Miss Jane Austen
  • More Letters from Pemberley: 1814-1819: A Further Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • The Darcy Connection (Darcy #5)
  • Pemberley Shades: A Lightly Gothic Tale of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy
  • Willoughby's Return: A Tale of Almost Irresistible Temptation
  • Intimations of Austen
  • A Visit to Highbury: Another View of Emma
  • Jane Austen in Boca
  • The Third Sister: A Continuation of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility
  • Mrs Darcy's Dilemma

Stephanie Barron was born Francine Stephanie Barron in Binghamton, NY in 1963, the last of six girls. Her father was a retired general in the Air Force, her mother a beautiful woman who loved to dance. The family spent their summers on Cape Cod, where two of the Barron girls no

Jane Austen Mysteries (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor (Jane Austen Mysteries, #1)
  • Jane and the Man of the Cloth (Jane Austen Mysteries, #2)
  • Jane and the Wandering Eye (Jane Austen Mysteries, #3)
  • Jane and the Genius of the Place (Jane Austen Mysteries, #4)
  • Jane and the Stillroom Maid (Jane Austen Mysteries, #5)
  • Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House (Jane Austen Mysteries, #6)
  • Jane and His Lordship's Legacy (Jane Austen Mysteries, #8)
  • Jane and the Barque of Frailty (Jane Austen Mysteries, #9)
  • Jane and the Madness of Lord Byron (Jane Austen Mysteries, #10)
  • Jane and the Canterbury Tale (Jane Austen Mysteries, #11)