Start by marking “Five Novels of the 1960s & 70s: Martian Time-Slip / Dr. Bloodmoney / Now Wait for Last Year / Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said / A Scanner Darkly” as Want to Read:

Philip K. Dick was a writer of incandescent originality and astonishing fertility, who made and unmade fictional world-systems with ferocious rapidity and unbridled speculative daring. “The floor joists of the universe,” he once wrote, “are visible in my novels.” The five novels collected in this volume—a successor to Philip K. Dick: Four Novels of the 1960s—offer a breath ...more
Published July 31st 2008 by Library of America

To ask other readers questions about Five Novels of the 1960s & 70s, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Novels of the 1960s & 70s

brian
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
plato's cave myth has particular resonance in the age of oprah, dr. phil, and tea party/occupy jackassiness -- it reinforces the idea that I am special, I have a unique handle on the truth, that I am the one peering out there at the mouth of the cave & pity (but take secret schadendelight in) all you poor fools whiling away your days staring at flickering shadows. it offers a direct appeal to our egos, our fear of being ordinary, our fear of mortality, that there's something else out there s ...more
Tait
Mar 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I’d love you but I’m not sure you’re real: musings on PK Dick

The past few months I’ve been immersed in the canonical Library America edition of the collected works of Philip K Dick, consecutively reading The Man in the High Castle, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Ubik, Martian Time-Slip, Dr. Bloodmoney, Now Wait for Last Year, and Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said, and figured it was time to ramble a little about what, for me, makes PK such a genius wr
Darwin8u
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi, fiction, american
“I'm not much but I'm all I have.”
― Philip K. Dick, Martian Time-Slip

description

While I may not have given all the books here five stars, this is almost (or close enough to) a five star combo. I've linked to my past reviews of the five novels:

1. Martian Time-Slip - Read January 2017 (5-stars)
2. Dr. Bloodmoney - Read February 2015 (4-stars)
3. Now Wait for Last Year - Read February 2015 (5-stars)
4 Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said - Read December 2013 (4-stars)
5. A Scanner Darkly - Read December 2014 (5-sta
serprex
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kards Unlimited
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Chris' Pick!

I never know where I am with Philip K. Dick. I never know what’s real, or what real even is. When a friend in high school told me I needed to read A Scanner Darkly, I thought, “Great another book from the 70’s about drugs by some burnt out hippie.” But PKD, like an android from a distant planet, or some strange future-Earth timeline, destroyed my expectations. He shattered my expectations of reality, of the universe, and of the human condition. Those shattered pieces lodged in my bra
Ryan Young
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have no experience with hallucinogenic drugs, but some of the descriptions Philip Dick gives honestly make me think I know how it might feel. These novels weren’t “incredible” and won’t be my favorites, but they are all thoughtful in the way great writing should be. Of the five, I think I would have to point to Now Wait for Last Year as my favorite. Maybe I’m just a sucker for a plot that includes trans-dimensional time travel though!
The Fat
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
PKD is one of the most unique writers I've ever read, the ultimate idea man. Dick's prose is so workmanlike and unremarkable but there's just something so fascinating and gripping about his writings. This was a great collection of novels.
Christer Karlsson
May 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of five PKD novels from the 60s and 70s: ‘Martian Time-Slip’, ‘Doctor Bloodmoney, Or How We Got Along After the Bomb’, ‘Now Wait For Last Year’, ‘Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said’ and ‘A Scanner Darkly’.

Martian Time-Slip
Takes place on a desolate, dry Mars, inhabited by poor colonists and the remnants of the poorer native population, the Bleekmen. Jack Bohlen is a repairman with a bored wife hooked on barbiturates. His neighbour's young son, Manfred, is an autistic with unta
Scott Holstad
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I only read three of the five novels in this anthology, as I already own and have read two of them. So this review will only be about the three I just finished reading. All in all, it wasn't the best anthology of Dick's work I could expect, but I guess the first volume of this three volume series was. I thought a couple of the novels in this book were a little weak, but a couple were also very good -- thus, the four out of five stars....

The book starts with Martian Time-Slip. It's about human co
Chris
Oct 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf, philip-k-dick
This is one of the best and most surprising books (a collection of novels, in fact) that I've read in a long time. I was turned on to Dick by reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? on my way back to Chicago from Tokyo via San Francisco this summer. I really enjoyed that book, and feeling quite fine after a couple weeks of travel at the end of summer I decided to dive right into more of Dick's writing.

Dick's stories can be called sf, but they differ from many other entries in that genre in
Janelle Dazzlepants
FYI: I didn't read Martian Time Slip or A Scanner Darkly as part of this anthology. I've read MTS before and intend to re-read it soon as my review wasn't at all thorough. I also intend to read A Scanner Darkly at a later time, as I own it. Once I read them I'll go through and update this review accordingly. So I'll just be reviewing Dr. Bloodmoney, Now Wait for Last Year and Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said in the context of an anthology.

To be honest, I don't think that these were great choic
Chris
Mar 28, 2013 is currently reading it
Martian Time-Slip (1963) p. 1 :
This PDK story takes place on the eerie surface of the red planet, Mars, in what I think is the mid 1990's. Mars has been colonized starting in the 1970's, and people started to immigrate there to escape the now over populated earth to make a fresh start. Martian Time-Slip includes some of PDK's favorite themes; mental illness, alternate realities, precognition, and time perception. I'd rate this somewhere around a 3.5 or so. PDK does a great job in the first 200
Graziano
Sep 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-library
Eric Secrist
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, philosophy
I only read Martin Time-Slip, which is flat out amazing. The characters, the weaving of the characters together, the different themes of reality, time-travel, and mental illness are integrated together to make one incredible novel. It's the second time I have read MTS and it may be the last time. I have found that spending too much time with Manfred may not be in my best interest.
Jordan
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
While my two favorite PKD stories (Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep and Ubik) were in the first volume, this volume still has some great stories. Martian Time-Slip was probably my least favorite, but that may have to do with the fact that I ended up reading it in a very fragmented way. All the stories are great PKD though. In particular I especially enjoyed Dr. Bloodmoney and Flow My Tears. Overall, I'd probably recommend the first volume as an introduction to PKD and this volume to those wan ...more
David James
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Five more from P.K. Dick.

"Martian Time Slip" and "Flow My Tears" are typical Dick reality twisters. Lots of fun and unlike anything any other author would have composed. "Dr. Bloodmoney" is Dick's contribution to the post-nuclear apocalyptic novel genre that was big at the time. It's a decent enough addition and distinctively Dickian, although with hindsight that theme was massively overworked and he could have skipped this one. "Now Wait for Last Year" however is an astonishingly excellent ride
Craig Tyler
Aug 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Well this is my first time reading any signiifcant amount of Philip K Dick's work. In totality, within this volume, I will say it is average. I know the work is unusual, I know it has themes that appeal to audiences (Sex, Drugs, the obsession with ruined/ruinous relationships, taking a simple idea and weaving into something that most people think is oddly wicked.) so I understand the appeal. I do. But some of the charcters and themes, when read together, actually seem to start to meld together. ...more
Taka
Nov 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
More PKD!

The novels contained in this volume weren't as strong as those in the first volume. Martian Time-Slip, Dr. Bloodmoney, and Flow, My Tears, the Policeman Said were just OK. Only Now Wait for Last Year and A Scanner Darkly lived up to the high standards PKD set for himself in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and Ubik.

A Scanner Darkly is REALLY good until the very end where it gets all fucked and overly philosophical where PKD uses one of the characters as a mouthpiece to express his v
Robin
Oct 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dick fans
A long read, indeed, but what else could be expected of a five novel collection.
All five books have links that are only in the details (this makes it fun) - there are no over-arcing storylines between novels, but some things do make more sense when you see the details in the context of another story.
The only disappointment I had was with various spelling errors, incorrect chapter headings, etc. which the editor (Lethem, a great writer himself) claims to have fixed at the end of the (very informa
Victor Whitman
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I took a big pause in between each of the four novels that I have read in this collection.(Still must read "A Scanner Darkly," which I'm told is one of his best.) The other four, in my opinion, aren't as strong as his two best novels, "Ubik" and "Do Androids.." But if you're a fan of PKD and SF, they're essential reading. Truth be told, PKD's writing is dense and slow moving, and I'm beginning to see the same collection of characters and basic plot lines repeated. Hard to complain ....but having ...more
Schuyler
Jun 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'd already read four of the five in this collection but picked it up to read the fifth book 'Dr. Bloodmoney' which I had always avoided, due to the not-to-promising title. It turned out to be a really excellent read and seeing these books bound and edited with such care is amazing. The previous printing had such revolting 90's cyber-puke covers that is was frankly hard to get people to take you seriously when you'd try to recommend them....Thanks Jonathan Lethem!
Beau Daignault
Aug 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teens living in the 1970's
Many, many years after my initial read, I just re-read 'Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said'.
It seemed a bit rough to me; had it been better edited, I may have enjoyed it more.
There is no character to like in this book, except the Potter. I did enjoy the overall colour. The meanness was appalling, but, kinda thrilling, too, I suppose.
Ben
Aug 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
I only read Martian Time-Slip. It was a good read, and I think it would have been better had I been able to read it more quickly. Unfortunately, work kept interfering and I could only read a little bit at a time. Great work on paranoia, fear, uncertainty, and the need to escape from the mass conformity that PKD confronted in his times.
Lysergius
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This volume includes Martian Time Slip, Dr. Bloodmoney, Now Wait for Last Year, Flow My Tears The Policeman said, A Scanner Darkly, which are probably the darkest of Philip K Dick's visions. Some of them I had read before, but it is great to have them all collected in more or less chronological order.
Steve
Mar 27, 2015 rated it liked it
In this collection are Martian Time Slip, Dr. Bloodmoney, Now Wait for Last Year, Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said, and A Scanner Darkly. The stories range from living on Mars to time-bending adventures in the future. A good collection of his work.
Ero
Aug 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Much wierder than I remembered. Which is saying a lot. Craft-wise, these have very serious flaws. In terms of raw vision and paranoiac power, however, there's not much that can top P.K.D. The only one here I hadn't read before was 'Now Wait for Last Year', which is instantly a favorite.
James
Mar 28, 2010 added it
awesome hardcover with 5 novels "martian time-slip" "dr. bloodmoney, or how we got along after the bomb" "now wait for last year" "flow my tears, the policeman said" and "a scanner darkly" unfortunately i already had "a scanner darkly" but still an awesome collection from an awesome writer.
Joel
Jul 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Not quite as great as the first PKD collection, but still good nonetheless. And I think I added a star because I love these Library of America hardcovers so much. Five novels -- 1000 pages -- in such an awesome package!
Ann Klefstad
Nov 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
ok I rated it before reading it because (1) I've read the Dick pieces before and they're not perfect but brilliant in irreplaceable ways, and (2) this kind of thing is just up that brilliant collaborator Lethem's alley. It's gotta be great. yeah.
Ray
Mar 30, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: try-again-later
I need to buy a copy of this. It's too much to wrap my head around all at once from the library.

• Johnny Mnemonic: The Screenplay and the Story
  • Even the Queen, & Other Short Stories
  • Christmas in the Trenches
  • Press Enter
  • With Morning Comes Mistfall
  • The Barrack-Room Ballads and Other Verses
  • Novels & Stories 1950–1962: Player Piano / The Sirens of Titan / Mother Night / Stories
  • The U.S. Constitution: And Fascinating Facts about It
  • Historical Romances: The Prince and the Pauper / A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court / Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc
  • The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders
  • Sailing to Byzantium
  • Lifeblood
  • Novels 1955–1962: Lolita / Pnin / Pale Fire / Lolita: A Screenplay
  • The Traveler
  • The Snows of Kilimanjaro/The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber
  • Goodbye, Columbus and Five Short Stories / Letting Go
  • The Unveiling
  • The Kolob Theorem: A Mormon's View of God's Starry Universe
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for best novel of the year in 1974 for Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. Philip K. Di ...more