Start by marking “Silver Spoon. Tom 1 (Silver Spoon, #1)” as Want to Read:
Silver Spoon. Tom 1 (Silver Spoon, #1)

Silver Spoon. Tom 1

(銀の匙 Silver Spoon [Gin no Saji Silver Spoon] #1)

Gdzieś w samym sercu dziczy znajduje się Technikum Rolnicze w Oezo. To właśnie tam Yugo Hachiken uczy się sztuki życia... a może raczej przeżycia? Przed Wami historia pełna łez, potu... i brudu. Zaczynamy tom wiosenny!
Published December 2013 by Waneko (first published July 15th 2011)

Start your review of Silver Spoon. Tom 1 (Silver Spoon, #1)
Lois Bujold
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers interested in slice-of-life, manga or otherwise
Delightful rather than melodramatically gripping. Slice-of-life about an urban high schooler who goes to a Japanese agricultural high school, mainly because dorm life will get him away from his unhappy city home and the cram-school grind. The carefully realized setting was an all-new treat for me in this medium so full of urban high schools, all looking alike, generally haunted by assorted supernatural phenomena. (But then, I don't read sports manga.) Protagonist Yuugo's first encounters with th ...more
Dana Salman
Using her knowledge of chemistry, Arakawa Hiromi-sensei wrote the popular shounen manga Full Metal Alchemist. Now using the other big aspect of her life – dairy farming – she went on to write the slice-of-life manga called Silver Spoon.

Now how could something written by the same author as Full Metal Alchemist but so fundamentally different possibly be as good?

Because it is Arakawa Hiromi. Anything she writes will be good, no matter the genre. Silver Spoon is not only a good slice-of-life, it is
Shoma Patnaik
Gin no Saji is one of those series which make you realize that manga is honestly much more than 'comics'. The only other work by Hiromu Arakawa that I am familiar with is her Fullmetal Alchemist series (although I've only watched it and haven't read the manga yet), and so this completely different subject - life in an agricultural school - piqued my interest.

I have somewhat romantic views on rural life so I looked forward to this manga but was happy to note that Ms. Arakawa doesn't stick to the
Chi
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah, that was VERY satisfying! I love the humour so much (though the fathers were comically strict, and Ookawa was quite... umm, unkind about his peers and underclassmen who were more fortunate in life and love than he was).

I was just very sad that the first year at Ooyezo / Oezo / the Agricultural school was so beautifully rendered and covered, only for the 2nd and 3rd years of Yugo Hachiken's life to be rushed so quickly (admittedly, due to external events beyond Hiromu Arakawa's control, and p
Hannah Heath
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, funny, favorites
LOVE this series. It makes me laugh and it makes me think. Doesn't get much better than that. ...more
Despair Speaking
This is Hiromu Arakawa's new series about a boy who doesn't know much about farming and yet attends a school all about it. It's a brave turn from magic and action, which is what she is famous for with Full Metal Alchemist. Although I couldn't help but compare the two, I fell in love with Silver Spoon as I progressed.

Silver Spoon isn't really anything special. It's slice-of-life and doesn't have much of a plot. It's simple, unlike FMA. But Yugo, the main character, has a strange way of drawing me
Rod Brown
One of the things I love about manga is that they can cover almost any subject. Here's one set at an agricultural high school that introduces us to farming concepts and concerns. I was raised on a Wisconsin dairy farm, so I found lots to like here as the book milks a fish-out-of-water set-up by having a directionless city kid with a purely academic focus transfer to this hands-on technical school. The humor, drama and romance are pretty gentle, but this title could go in some interesting directi ...more
King Haddock
There's a beauty to simplicity.

Now, I don't mean that Silver Spoon lacks complexity. However, in a world where I often find myself reading stories with high stakes action and dramatic life-or-death action hero maneuvers, it's beautiful to sit back and read a story about the daily lives of students at an agricultural vocational high school. There's a refreshing and engaging "simplicity" to reading about Ban'ei horse track proceedings or what extracurricular activities exist at the school or how q
Emily
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
4.25 stars! This first volume is so pleasant to read, but it also doesn't shy away from the grit required when raising farm animals. It also made me laugh out loud multiple times - I really liked this and will be getting the next volume soon! ...more
Cookie
A really great start to a series. You can feel the themes, relationships and plot being laid out for future development. The manga does not shy away either from the bleak reality of animal exploitation. It will be really interesting to see where this goes.
Matty Dub
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
7/10

The book is fun to read for its snappy dialogue and occasional heart warming moments. The art is also great.

I however am not a fan of stories set in school, I find it hard to get invested and having a protagonist I couldn’t bring myself to care about made it that much harder.
Kendra
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so perfect. Can't help but see FMA cameos though - some character designs are veeery close :D ...more
Emma
Each time I go to my public library, I check the manga section. Since my discovery of Orange, it has been really hard to find some I like.
This one is great, it's not the usual teen crash, but the story of a boy not really knowing what to do with his life and enrolling in an agricultural school, where he thinks it will be easy to be first. He thinks other are luck to know what they will do in life, basically working on their family farm. But life teaches him a few lessons.
I also discovered some
Andrew Kristensen
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Ahh Hachiken! This manga gives insight into Japan's agricultural sector through the eyes of a boy from the city. A lot of Hachiken's views are similar to mine when it comes to livestock and animals in general. I'd love to hear my father's views on the topics brought up in the manga as he grew up on a pig farm. If nothing else, this manga is entertaining and all the characters are relatable in one form or another. ...more
Britt
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rereading, diversity
This had me laughing super hard. Hachiken is so over dramatic and I love it
André
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these so much.
Kailey (Luminous Libro)
Hachiken attends an agricultural high school even though he has no interest in pursuing an agricultural career. All his classmates come from farming backgrounds, and are eager to learn so they can take over their family farm someday. Poor Hachiken has to wake up early every morning to take care of livestock, clean out the stables, and gather chicken eggs. His classmates are used to early morning hours, but Hachiken is exhausted.

This manga is hilarious! It was so fun learning about how to care fo
Jon Peder Grønsveen Opsahl
I bought this manga a while ago since I was intrigued by the fact that it is made by the author behind Full Metal Alchemist. I like the story and characters and Arakawa's style. My only problem is I don't really find a good time for reading manga. I like reading books in the evening and also read some comics during the day, so I kind of forgot this manga. That doesn't mean I did not like the story though. It is a good mixture of sweet and serious and I can see myself reading more of it in the fu ...more
Katy
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked that this manga didn't shy away from hard truths when it comes to raising livestock. I also really liked that the MC doesn't have any concrete goals for his life while everyone around him seems to know what they want to do with their lives. It is something I relate to big time. Some of the humor was a little too juvenile for me, but over all I really enjoyed the plot and the characters.

It was fun that there was a chapter about Ban'ei (draft horse pull) racing. I actually went to
Pilos
Seeing myself in a character is something that rarely happens, let out seeing me in the actual whole plot. Coming from an Agricultural school (and later food science degree) myself, I can't even express how many memories this comic brought me.
What I loved the most here is how accurate the scientific and technical explanations are and I cannot help but appreciate that (that lecture on the myoglobin and its role on meat color preservation almost brought me to tears).
I've been literally craving t
Dubzor
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this after watching the first three episodes of the anime and much to my surprise there were stark differences. The biggest being the body shaming of Tamako, which is non-existent in the anime. Granted, the characters in the manga never outright disrespect her. They don't treat her any differently. However, they do make snide comments about her size and call her "egg" to themselves. So, while not ideal...it certainly could be more problematic.

It's still an excellent series, and well worth
beth {hiatus} F.
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
I have never read a manga about agriculture before. I enjoyed it a lot, mostly because of the easy and relaxed (to a point) narrative.

You can tell that Arakawa really does her research on each manga series produced. The art is top notch, especially the animals and machinery.

My favorite part is the horse race! It was REALLY well done!!!

The main character’s attitude is the worst part about this, but I have a feeling that’s going to change drastically.

This does have a graphic depiction of a chi
Kristin

This laid back tale of life at a vocational high school is surprisingly good. It's especially nice to see teens on a non-college track portrayed as equally intelligent, just at different subjects than the college-prep crowd. Animals, humor, and character development-- not to mention the first plus-sized female character I've ever seen in manga-- make this a good title to recommend to adults and teens.
S
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
A disinterested student enrolls in ag school but realizes it won’t be an easy ride early on.
Dani (ダニ ¦ 다니)
I'm really enjoying this. Can't wait for the next volume. :)

My first impression on the series: https://youtu.be/BIKWXYZVfnw
Lindsey
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels

Silver Spoon is a much slower-paced read than Fullmetal Alchemist, but the characters are fun. There is also a lot of agricultural lingo thrown around.

Anna C
Livestock's only mistake is being born. There are those that are thrown into a world where they are given only two options : be useful or be killed. There are others, however, who even in these competitive society leave behind nothing but accomplishments and are loved and taken care of until the very end.

Dari dulu suka liat komik ini berseliweran di GR, tapi belum kepikiran buat baca. Nah, sekarang karena lagi pengen baca yg slice of life tanpa romance, jadi dicobain deh komik yg topiknya pertan
~Cyanide Latte~
In the event you have not yet taken the opportunity to watch the anime for Silver Spoon [Gin no Saji] on Netflix, I cannot stress enough the recommendation that you do so when you have the chance.

Fans familiar with Hiromu Arakawa from her blockbuster giant "FullMetal Alchemist" ought to have some knowledge already that Arakawa was raised on a dairy farm, and as such, the life of a farming family is very important to her. She puts all of her knowledge and personal experience to stellar use in thi
Maddie
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japanese
"Blue skies... noises of Mother Nature... over-familiar calves... no cell service... Where am I???"

Hachiken deals with culture shock in his first semester at an agricultural high school in rural Hokkaido.

My first full manga in Japanese! やった!!! It was recommended to me by one of my students at our crafts high school in rural Hokkaido. He said that could relate to the main character. Let's see... Obscene rural-ness? Check. Over-excitement about Genghis Khan? Check. Warning signs for bears? Check.
Selena
It might be a totally different genre, but this has Arakawa-sensei written all over it. The humor, the art style, the panel layout... Everything.

This one is probably sillier than Fullmetal Alchemist, but it also is a lot more real. This is an ode to farming, and so life and death is pretty much constantly in the background.

So far, I'm really liking this goofy-but-real manga about a "normal" Japanese kid in an agricultural high school. It's a fish-out-of-water story that a lot of us who don't kno
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Laid-Back Camp, Vol. 1
  • Barakamon, Vol. 1
  • Laid-Back Camp, Vol. 2
  • 聖☆おにいさん 1 [Saint Onii-san 1] (Saint Young Men, #1)
  • Laid-Back Camp, Vol. 3
  • 極主夫道〈1〉 (Gokushufudō: The Way of the Househusband, #1)
  • 極主夫道 2 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #2)
  • 極主夫道 4 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the House Husband, #4)
  • 極主夫道 3 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #3)
  • Golden Kamuy, Vol. 2 (Golden Kamuy, #2)
  • ダンジョン飯 7 [Dungeon Meshi 7] (Delicious in Dungeon, #7)
  • かくかくしかじか 2 (Kakukaku Shikajika, #2)
  • Blank Canvas: My So-Called Artist’s Journey Vol. 1 (Blank Canvas: My So-Called Artist's Journey)
  • Komi Can’t Communicate, Vol. 1
  • Saint Young Men 01
  • アゲイン!! 1 (Again!!, #1)
  • Golden Kamuy, Vol. 1 (Golden Kamuy, #1)
  • 炎炎ノ消防隊 06 [Enen no Shouboutai 6] (Fire Force, #6)

Associated names :
荒川弘美 (real name)
ARAKAWA Hiromi

Name (in native language) : 荒川弘

Zodiac : Taurus

Blood type : A

Her self-portrait is usually that of a bespectacled cow, as she was born and raised on a dairy farm in Hokkaido with three older sisters and a younger brother. She worked as a farmer for 8 years before moving to Tokyo.

Arakawa thought about being a manga artist "since [she] was little" and d

銀の匙 Silver Spoon [Gin no Saji Silver Spoon] (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • 銀の匙 Silver Spoon 2 [Gin no Saji Silver Spoon 2]