Start by marking “Healing Fiction” as Want to Read:
Healing Fiction

Healing Fiction

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  145 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
This book is Hillman's main analysis of analysis. He asks the basic question, "What does the soul want?" With insight and humor he answers, "It wants fictions that heal."
Published May 15th 1998 by Spring Publications

To ask other readers questions about Healing Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healing Fiction

Bill Bridges
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A foundational book for Archetypal Psychology. In exploring the question "What does the soul want?", Hillman demonstrates that it wants fictions as therapy. Fantasies heal.

Especially interesting is Hillman's examination of the psychologies of Freud, Jung, and Adler -- their fictions. Even the "case history", that bastion of objective account, is a genre of writing, complete with its own tropes. It is a form of detective story, which we literalize as completely factual.

Using Adler's thought, Hil
culley
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Select reading notes:

- were the story written in another way, by another hand, from another perspective, it would sound different and therefore be a different story. I am suggesting the poetic basis of therapy, of biography, of our very lives.
- rhetoric means the art of persuasion. The rhetoric of an archetype is the way each God persuades us to believe in the myth and the plot. Gods are not set apart, to be revealed in revelation, or through epiphanies of image. They are the rhetoric itself. To
Gregory Boyce
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
If your work, or play, involves any degree of depth psychology (and you CBTers would probably enjoy this too) I highly recommend this book. We humans are meaning-making beings. We make meaning out of practically everything around us. Peruvian Shamans would call this a Jaquar level of perception. Hillman endorses the idea that our lives are significantly influenced by the 'stories' we tell ourselves about our lives. Like the Transactional Analysis notion of 'scripts', Hillman says that any dysfun ...more
Nikki
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
Fascinating read! Hillman's book contains three parts primarily addressing Freud, Jung, and Adler.
I think I was most fascinated by the first section because it contained a concept new for me. Though I've got a good handle on Freud himself, Hillman takes us specifically into examining case history and what Freud brought to it. Ultimately, case history itself serves as a type fiction: the person telling the story of their experience(s) is presenting a fiction, their interpretation and memory of t
Rjyan
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
There's three parts to this book, and the second felt markedly less exciting than the first, but the third part explodes with insightful revelations about Adler that are unmissable if you have never had the insights of Adler revealed to you. A little bit of background in archetypal/depth psychology-- or another Hillman book-- is probably good before jumping in to this one, as Hillman doesn't go out of his way to catch you up on the concepts he builds on top of. But the things he does build are p ...more
Richard
Oct 24, 2010 rated it liked it
For as much ado as I've always heard about Hillman and his works, this was not a very impressive introduction. I'll be honest, the active imagination dialogues between patients and their animas was interesting....I guess it was all fairly interesting. But it had no umph. Nothing really making me love Hillman for his contribution, or wanting to return to him anytime soon. Any other reccomendations from Hillman fans, cause I'm not one just yet?
Lynda
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I looked this book up because I want to re-read it - loved it in my twenties and am curious to see what I think twenty some years later.
Colin
Jun 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, LOVE this book! LOVE Hillman! He looks at Adlerian psychology versus Freud and, mostly, Jung.
Thomas Dennis
Jul 05, 2007
Christopher Bailey
Sep 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Mysterium Coniunctionis (Collected Works 14)
  • Shadow and Evil in Fairy Tales
  • On Knowing: Essays for the Left Hand
  • Eros and Pathos: Shades of Love and Suffering (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 40)
  • Amor and Psyche: The Psychic Development of the Feminine
  • L'ospite inquietante: il nichilismo e i giovani
  • Love and Friendship
  • The Psychology of C.G. Jung
  • The Wounded Woman: Healing the Father-daughter Relationship
  • Inner Work: Using Dreams and Active Imagination for Personal Growth
  • A Little Book on the Human Shadow
James Hillman was an American psychologist. He served in the US Navy Hospital Corps from 1944 to 1946, after which he attended the Sorbonne in Paris, studying English Literature, and Trinity College, Dublin, graduating with a degree in mental and moral science in 1950.
In 1959, he received his PhD from the University of Zurich, as well as his analyst's diploma from the C.G. Jung Institute and foun
More about James Hillman...
“To be sane, we must recognise our beliefs as fictions.” 7 likes