Start by marking “Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)

Lines of Departure

(Frontlines #2)

Vicious interstellar conflict with an indestructible alien species. Bloody civil war over the last habitable zones of the cosmos. Political unrest, militaristic police forces, dire threats to the Solar System…

Humanity is on the ropes, and after years of fighting a two-front war with losing odds, so is North American Defense Corps officer Andrew Grayson. He dreams of droppi

Published January 28th 2014 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about Lines of Departure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lines of Departure

Start your review of Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
Bradley
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd been meaning to read this one for a while ever since Marko Kloos withdrew it from the Hugo nominations in '15 because of the Sad Puppy controversy. I respected his decision. It also turned me on to two great authors I probably never would have read, otherwise.

I never really considered myself a fan of Mil-SF. Not really. But then I keep reading great Mil-SF.

Marko Kloos has a style that's extremely readable. It's clear as hell with a charming and droll voice. It certainly helps, considering th
Mike (the Paladin)
Before you pick this book up let me tell you this, it ends in one H*** of a cliffhanger. I mean it ties up local events but...other events are far from tied up.

And I have no idea how long before we'll see another novel.

What Mr. Kloos? Did someone tell you writers get a life or something?

Lindsay
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Markos Kloos levels up as a writer with a fantastic second book.

It is five years after the events of Terms of Enlistment. Grayson and Halley have just re-enlisted in the NAC armed forces, but things are grim everywhere. Humans are still fighting among themselves, both in terms of the NAC and SRA, and in terms of civilian riots on Earth. Meanwhile human activity in space is undergoing a full rout with the Lankies taking world after world with the NAC and SRA being annoyances at best.

There is very
Mr. Matt
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lines of Departure picks up approximately five years after the events of the first book in the series, Terms of Enlistment. And those five years were not good to humanity. About half of Earth's precious colonies have been wiped out by the relentless, unfathomable Lankies. Meanwhile, on Earth the domestic situation is growing increasingly dire. With every resource being thrown at the military, already meager rations are cut. The colony lottery is stopped. The pressure valves are gone and unrest b ...more
Manuel Antão
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Subverted MilSF: "Lines of Departure" by Marko Kloos

Truth to be told, I was expecting the usual fodder when I started reading Kloos’ MilSF novel. But I got something unexpected instead. What made “Lines of Departure” interesting by the standards of most MilSF is its very systematic subversion of the tropes of military SF. What starts out as a war story becomes political dissection of liberalism.
Emma
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Excellent space opera with a main character I really like.
Gary
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My reaction to Terms of Enlistment - the first book in Marko Kloos' Frontlines series - was mixed, but mostly positive. I said at the end of that review that in spite of Kloos' obvious talent, I was unsure if I wanted to continue reading this particular series. After finishing Lines of Departure, I am glad I ignored my earlier misgivings. The sequel maintains all of the qualities I enjoyed in the first book, and irons out most of the unevenness that gave me reservations about coming back for mor ...more
Chris Bauer
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This worthy follow up to "Terms of Enlistment" is simply awesome. I'm not sure if it is because the author writes in a style that I find particularly appealing or what, but once I started this book, I could not put it down.

The pace is perfect. The characters are vivid and interesting. The most fascinating aspect about the protagonist is that he has no super edge, no ace up the sleeve trick to get out trouble. He is an everyman, thrust into difficult positions, with only his conscience and traini
Eric
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
5 Stars

No second book letdown here as Lines of Departure is even better than the first book in the series.

Starting off five years after the end of Terms of Enlistment, Andrew Grayson is now a veteran, having spent the last several years fighting against the North American Commonwealth’s human enemies as well as against the alien species that is devastating colony after colony. Following his participation in a failed attack, Andrew is sent to a remote colony with a vague mission along with a mot
David
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Starship troopers, mutinous master sergeants, alien kaiju
Marko Kloos is one of the new crop of self-published authors who acquired enough of an audience to break into the big leagues (or at least the midlister leagues). I enjoyed his first book, Terms of Enlistment, and found the second book in the series to be better; Kloos is definitely developing as a writer. Where Terms of Enlistment was a fairly by-the-numbers knock-off of Starship Troopers, Lines of Departure takes place several years later and further develops the universe and its politics.

In t
Mike (the Paladin)
Before you pick this book up let tell you this, it ends in one H*** of a cliffhanger. I mean it ties up local events but...other events are far from tied up.

And I have no idea how long before we'll see another novel.

What Mr. Kloos? Did someone tell you writers get a life or something?

Anyway, another good read, maybe even an exceptional read. For those of you who like more "depth" in your action we are becoming a bit more introspective here. I think it had to go that way due to transpiring events
Bee
The second book in the series lived up to my expectations. Great sci-fi, great military sci-fi esp. Kloos is a good writer, his characters are likable and his tech and military understanding is obvious. The book ends on much more of a cliffhanger than the previous one, which drives me crazy as i don't yet see the publishing date of the next installment. Arg! If you like Starship Troopers, or John Ringo their ilk, you're going to love this.
Belinda Lewis
Enjoyed this one a lot less than the first one.

Its not the book's fault.

I find descriptions of military strategy and tactics dull, and when 80% of the book is about war (which is totally fair and reasonable and to be expected when reading military sci-fi), I'm just not that into it.

Cool characters and story line just wish they spent more time hugging it out or something :P

Dana Stabenow
Even better than the first one, and Sergeant Fallon is back, which makes me very happy.
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
This is the second book in Kloos' Frontline series. I know I've reviewed these books totally out of order but I did actually read them order. This is review procrastination at its best... lol

If you're contemplating this military sci-fi series then you more then likely already like lots of action which is a good thing because this series has plenty of it. It also has extremely large aliens known as the Lankies that are wreaking havoc around the system. I must say, I think the Lankies are the larg
stormin
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Although Marko Kloos withdrew Lines of Departure from Hugo consideration this year, I wanted to read it anyway to gauge the impact of the Sad / Rabid Puppies. (Just Google that if you're unaware of what it is.) I even started with Terms of Enlistment because at just $7 on Audible and only about 10 hours long, it wasn't hard to get that in before tackling the second book in the series.

Basically, Lines of Departure takes everything that was pretty good in Terms of Enlistment and makes it better. T
Casey Hampton
In Lines of Departure, Marko Kloos picks up where Terms of Enlistment left off. Earth is overpopulated, various terrestrial governments are still warring with one another in space as people colonize the stars, and there's a new nearly indestructible alien species that appears determined to exterminate mankind.

The combat scenes are crisp and the action flows at a nice clip. For the majority of the narrative, we tag along with Andrew Grayson as he along with his fellow NAC troopers battle the Lan
Brianne Reeves
Apr 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
This one gets a more accurate 2.5/2.75, and note, I've got spoilers and will try to code appropriately.

I'm mostly still of the same position. Grayson is less of a sociopath, but none of the characters has too much development. I was pleased to see some attention and background being given to Grayson's mother, but by and large there's a lack of character development all around.

The worldbuilding is pretty lacking still. I still don't understand why the world is the way it is. There's no explanat
Sandi
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sandi by: Hugo
Shelves: sff
This is an exceedingly well-written space military book. I have a few quibbles with some aspects of the story but I heartily endorse this to anyone who likes gritty futuristic war books pitting Homo sapiens against an implacable, inscrutable alien species that is capable of kicking humanity's butt. I like the way the author does not belabor the lack of knowledge about these aliens that are so clearly (at this point anyway) beyond our technological status. The likelihood that our planet would sti ...more
G33z3r
Story continues as a decent action adventure military SF. Kloos still doesn't seem to have decided whether his focus is the future impoverished Earth, the rivalry between the West, Russia, and China for colony planets, or war with an invasive alien species. But he does write pretty good battle scenes.
M Hamed
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, military-sci-fi
dinosaur‬‏ aliens ,corrupt government ,civil war,space war with the Russian and the Chinese

and you leave all that and talk about some insignificant mutiny by some self-absorbed boys for half the book
Laz the Sailor
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
I have mixed feelings for this book. It advances the story from the first book, but veers into an odd backwater in order to set the stage for the next installment. Call it a sophomore slump, a la Star Wars initial trilogy. The "management is stupid" theme is getting old, but as Dana Stabenow said, it is great to have Sgt Fallon back. The military dynamics are detailed, but lack some of the creativity I recall from earlier.

I will probably read the next one, just to see if they are triumphant.
Eric Allen
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Opinionated Look At:

Marko Kloos' Lines of Departure

By Eric Allen

I'm a really big military Sci-fi fan. I'll read just about any military sci-fi book that I come across, and find something good to say about it. It's very rare that I come across one that I don't find at least something to enjoy in, and Lines of Departure is no exception. I was given this book by a friend, and only after finishing it, did I realize that it is actually the second book of the series. Oops.

The Earth is highly overpo
Steffan
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5 stars
Briel
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not my genre. Military sci-fi that's light on the sci-fi? No thanks. But somehow, this is compelling stuff. I can't even pinpoint why. I liked Andrew much more in this book than the first one, he's still growing up but at least he spent some time appreciating his mother. There are some casual racism moments (eight) on the part of the author. But really, this is very unobjectionable fare. I'm chasing the 4.8 potential of the fifth book due to FOMO.
Florin Constantinescu
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was never a big fan of labeling stuff into sub-sub-sub-genres. Oh, this guy writes hard science fiction. This book was clearly post-apocalyptic romantic dystopic science fantasy. This author is part of the new wave. I like to stick with Mitch Albom (I believe it was) who said there were no waves, just one big ocean.

With that out of the way, this book is military science fiction. Nothing screams this label more than this book. Yea so? What's that got to do with quality?

Picking up exactly where
Per Gunnar
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Andrew Grayson’s adventures continues in Lines of Departure. This book series is yet another of those apocalyptic visions of our future were incompetent politicians have created an unsustainable welfare state which is about to come crashing down on them. Well, at least that is pretty much the backdrop. The book is, luckily, not really about said welfare state but about Andrew Grayson, his (mis)adventures in the North American Defense Corps and, of course, about the fact that Earth is about to be ...more
Cst
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-scifi
I went through three distinct phases while reading this book:
For about the first half, the book was not as strong as its predecessor, more three than four stars. Then at about half way came a great twist I will try not to spoil. I didn't like it at all and I had to really work on reading further. The finale did much to bring me around and I await the next book, but I still cannot overlook this huge problem in the middle of the book.

But frankly there were problems in this book that happened muc
AudioBookReviewer
ABR's full Lines of Departure audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

I really enjoyed the first book in the Frontlines series, so giving book two a shot only seemed natural. I really hope that Kloos can create the same magic, the same intensity, the same well developed story. Many times a second book in a series will lack in the same energy and intensity as the first. I really hope that Kloos can keep this from happening.

I have suddenly found myself listening to more
Jean
This book picks up the story five years later from the first book “Terms of Enlistment”. Grayson and his girlfriend both have signed their re-enlistment papers. The Lunkies have pushed deeper into human held territory. The North American Commonwealth is still fighting the SAC (Chinese) and the SRC (Russians) while the Lunkies are getting closer. Grayson has become a combat controller and has done hundreds of combat jumps. Grayson and a few others are the only survivors of a battle against the Lu ...more

• To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
  • Contact Front (Drop Trooper #1)
  • Odyssey One (Odyssey One, #1)
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • Poor Man's Fight (Poor Man's Fight, #1)
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
  • Archangel Rising (Archangel One, #2)
  • Warrior King (Odyssey One, #5)
  • Brothers in Valor (Man of War, #3)
  • For Honor We Stand (Man of War, #2)
  • Kinetic Strike (Drop Trooper #2)
  • Rich Man's War (Poor Man's Fight, #2)
  • Warship (Black Fleet Trilogy, #1)
  • Call to Arms (Black Fleet Trilogy, #2)
  • Odysseus Awakening (Odyssey One, #6)
  • Danger Close (Drop Trooper #3)
  • Dead Man's Debt (Poor Man's Fight, #3)

Frontlines (7 books)
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)
  • Orders of Battle