Start by marking “The Buffalo Soldiers” as Want to Read:
The Buffalo Soldiers

The Buffalo Soldiers

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  11 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
Published February 26th 1976 by Penguin Books Ltd (first published August 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Buffalo Soldiers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Buffalo Soldiers

James
Jan 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shaggy Dog Story: When I was sixteen my family traveled through Europe one summer in a VW bus. I dragged them to all sorts of history-dork pilgrimage sites like Karl Marx's birth house in Trier and the battlefield at Culloden. This last, near Inverness, entailed driving all the way across Scotland. My father must really love me. At any rate, in every Scottish Historical Landmark Gifte Shoppe one could find a trilogy of Penguin paperbacks by John Prebble about the Jacobite uprisings: Glencoe, Cul ...more
Eric
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
First a brief story: I found this little gem at an antique shop just off Whiskey Row in downtown Prescott, AZ. That trip was memorable because just after that, my wife and I met former president George W. Bush in a little cafe on Whiskey Row. He was in town for a political rally. We shared a few brief, perfunctory words as he refilled his cup at the soda fountain.

Anyway, about the book. First published in 1959, my worn paperback version was published by Bantam in 1964 and its original price was
Andrew
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
John Prebble's 1959 historical novel with the sweep & intensity of a classic John Ford western film is a perfectly-pitched human drama of one man,Lieutenant Garrett Byrne, & his complement of black cavalry troopers as they deal with recalcitrant & mysteriously-motivated Comanches in Indian Territory (Oklahoma), just after the War Between The States. The tensions between all the characters white,'colored','comanchero' or 'Indian' are self-evident, & add a real bite to a story that ...more
Kerry
Angelique
Feb 07, 2017
Martin Leman
Feb 28, 2017
John Edward Curtis Prebble, FRSL, OBE was an English/Canadian journalist, novelist, documentarian and historian. He is best known for his studies of Scottish history.

He was born in Edmonton, Middlesex, England, but he grew up in Saskatchewan, Canada, where his father had a brother. His parents emigrated there after World War I. Returning to England with his family, he attended the Latymer School.
More about John Prebble...