Start by marking “The Second Rescue: The Story of the Spiritual Rescue of the Willie and Martin Handcart Pioneers” as Want to Read:

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  89 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Published March 1st 1998 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about The Second Rescue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Rescue

Jeanette
May 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book was cited a few times by Andrew D. Olson in his book The Price We Paid. It sounded interesting to me so I tracked down a copy.
This book tells the story of Robert Scott Lorimer and the members of the Riverton, Wyoming Stake who undertook the spiritual rescue of the members of the Willie and Martin Handcart Companies. In the late 1980's, shortly after he was called as Stake President, R. Scott Lorimer asked the members of his stake to pray for the "Willie Project." He did not know what t
Jamie
Sep 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This inspiring true story will fill you with the Spirit of Elijah and you will have a renewed desire to do temple work. It is outstanding, motivating and spiritually beautiful.
Kiyoko
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
A chronicle of a stake president to involve the people in his area in temple work for the Willie and Martin handcart pioneers. This research and work expanded into obtaining historic landmark areas in key places along the route. Details are given about how improvements were made and plaques were created in honor of the struggle of these early pioneers.

I like history, and this book has a bit of that. But it also contains a spin that I often see in LDS non-fiction - the "faith-promoting and testi
Denise
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
We've been out to see this area a few years back and it was nice to read this inspired story of how the second rescue came about and what exactly it was.
Kim
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This had some interesting information but it was more of a documentary and I think I was hoping for more of a novel. I wanted something more in depth.
Cindy
Apr 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Every LDS knows the story of the Martin and Willie Hardcart companies, two groups of pioneers who started across the plains late in the season only to be caught by an early snowstorm. They bogged down in the mud and snow, suffered exposure from the horrible weather, and got frostbite from fording icy rivers. Many died, sometimes even entire families. They were rescued and brought in from the plains. When they arrived in Salt Lake with black and frozen limbs, half starved, they were taken into ho ...more
Keri-Lynn
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Of course I'm going to give any book which involves history, genealogy and temple work a 5. It's just not possible for me to give it any other rating, but in this case I would give it a 5 anyway based on the how well it was written and organized. It's a non-fiction book about the effort an LDS Stake in Wyoming made to ensure the handcart pioneers in the Willie and Martin companies had their temple work done. Many of them died on the trail and did not leave any descendants to do their work for th ...more
Mommywest
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story of how the then-stake president miraculously discovered that many of the members of the Willie and Martin handcart companies, as well as the Hunt and Hodgett wagon trains, and even the rescuers who came to help them, didn't have some or any of their temple ordinances done. This led to what came to be known as "The Second Rescue." Stake members became involved in doing the work necessary to clear names for temple work, driving six hours each way to the Ogden Utah temple to do that ...more
Dad
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds
The Martin and Willie Handcart Companies were rescued in the 1850's but this book is about doing the genealogical and temple work to seal by the priesthood of God these people to their families. It is very inspiring. I believe I was a baptistry worker at the Ogden Temple when part of this work was done. I came in for an extra Saturday shift.
At least two of my relatives participated in the physical rescue from the snow. Edwin Ruthven Miles went to the Cove and accompanied them back. Marriner Woo
Erin
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
This is an amazing story of the spiritual rescue of the pioneers in the Willie and Martin handcart companies. Direct revelation was given to a stake president in Wyoming who got the members of his stake to do the temple work of the saints in these companies. All that those saints sacrificed and their temple work hadn't yet been done 100+ years later. Pretty crazy. Can't think of a more deserving people.
Jul 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I would give it 3.5 stars if I could. The first part of the book was interesting on how the "spiritual" rescue of the Willie and Martin Handcart companies. The last half of the book were testimonials, etc. and got tired of them real quick. So I can only say I read 1/2 of the book. Still, the first part was good.
Erin
Jul 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
I began reading this just the day before we went to see the historical sights where the Willie and Martin Handcart companies were rescued by a relief party. I should have started it the week before. It was a quick read, and very interesting. It helps if the reader has some background information as to what took place with these two handcart companies. Although not necessary.
Brigitte
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So touching! After taking my family to the Willie & Martin sites this summer, & having heard more about this stake & what they did, I was thrilled to discover there was a book published about the 2nd rescue. I was touched as I read accounts of what the Riverton Wyoming stake experienced, how it strengthened all of them & learned about the some of the miracles that took place. loved it!
Trpusey
Nov 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really touching story of the temple work that was done (more than 100 years later) for the members of the Willie and Martin Handcart pioneers who didn't make it to SL Valley. Heard this story a decade ago but had never read the book.
Mark
Dec 26, 2009 rated it liked it
A sketchy chronicle of an amazing story. The inspiration of a stake president who was led by the spirit to bring the ordinances of the temple to the people of the two ill-fated Willie and Martin handc
Stacey Williams
Dec 27, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a neat story of faith, obedience and determination.
Suzanna
Nov 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was such an inspirational read. It really made me want to get busy with my family history work!
Sarah Southerland
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Powerful story of how modern day pioneers honored the Willie & Martin handcart companies. Touching stories that brought tears to my eyes.
Julie
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Even though I was already familiar with the Second Rescue, I loved reading the personal accounts of testimony and even miracles of those people who participated in it.
Janene
Sep 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religous
Very inspiring
Melissa
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I love this book because it is about many of my ancestors, and my Aunt helped with the Second Rescue.
Tami Greaney
Nov 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, lds
Wonderful book! I think it meant all the more to me because my third-great grandmother and her children (including my great-great grandmother, Mary Smith)were part of the Willie Handcart Company
Janet
Jun 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
great historical information and inspiring read
Brook
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A perfect story to begin before our pioneer trek and finish when I got home. If you haven't heard of this--it is worth the read.
Sara
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing story. I hope I can feel a little of what they Riverton, Wyoming stake felt as they learned about the handcart people and their stories. I recommend it for anyone trekking.
Bette