Start by marking “When I Grow Up I Want to be Mary Beard” as Want to Read:
When I Grow Up I Want to be Mary Beard

When I Grow Up I Want to be Mary Beard

Burning Eye seeks to break down some of the barriers that are put up between young poets and publishers to make it more accessible for poets to put work out early in their career. This chapbook from Megan Beech is the third example of Burning Eye working with a young poet in this way. Although still in her second year at University Megan has already caught attention with h ...more
Published December 1st 2013 by Burning Eye Books

To ask other readers questions about When I Grow Up I Want to be Mary Beard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When I Grow Up I Want to be Mary Beard

Jean Menzies
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I felt as though in a number of these poems the poet was giving rhythm and life to my own voice; I identified so much with what she was saying. Not only that but she said it cleverly, accessibly and melodically. I would really like to hear the poet herself perform these poems.
Alana
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
When this book arrived I was stunned about how tiny it was. I'd been hearing such great reviews, I wondered how it could possibly contain all that was promised in it's 48 pages. I worried needlessly. Beech's poetry has an energy and a lyrical quality that makes the words leap from the page and dance in front of you fully formed. There was a certain wit that emerges again and again through different pieces and there is a familiarity to her work that will instantly appeal to our generation. Clever ...more
Christie
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, 2016
First poetry collection I've read this year as part of my reading resolution to read at least one poetry collection each month and WOW. I cannot find the words. There were regularly moments when I would have to stop between poems just to have a little fangirl scream to myself. Although written as performance poetry, I found it was really easy to settle into the rhythm of these poems and for this reason Beech's voice came across loud and clear - maybe this is because I've been to plenty of poetry ...more
Mugren Ohaly
Nov 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014
I'm a firm believer that 'spoken word' is not poetry. It's a performance that relies on the speaker's rhythm and the exaggerated use of rhymes. Spoken word might be great when heard being performed, but it always fails when being read off paper.
Marina Sofia
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My first experience of reading (rather than hearing) performance poetry. What a fabulous, fearless young voice!
Jessica Shelley
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
So much fun to read! And so powerful! Read this in one sitting at my local library.

I loved the rhythmic beat and rhyme that flowed throughout the book. I especially adored the poem 'Stars' and 'English Teacher.' Both left a twang in my heart. Both were beautiful and melancholy and full of hope and strength. A call for change and new perspectives.
Ellen
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this little book of modern poetry- particularly Dadverts, Behind Every Great Christmas There’s Mum?, Boyfriend on Holiday (I love the last line!), the title poem and.... oh so many of them! :-) ( and I don’t normally enjoy poetry!)
vgl3
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This collection confirmed that a) I haven’t read nearly enough slam poetry before, and b) feminist slam poetry is definitely my jam.
Chelsey
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really like this, but I'm finding myself increasingly annoyed by this class of educated white feminist whose anger blinds them to their own privilege, and who think their affinity for the blue collar means they are allowed to put down one kind of woman to uplift another. They forget tragedy is relative and use words not to ignite fire but to fight over more words, limiting their scope, and making their arguments more pedantry than powerful.
Melissa
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feminism
Feminist poetry is one of my favorite things, and this short collection did not disappoint. There was so much truth and spirit in this tiny book, and I can't wait to see what Megan Beech does as her life goes on. Would highly recommend.
Jenn
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I took a poetry class last semester and really started to appreciate all it has to offer. The emotionalism surrounding feminism in this poetry collection is wonderful. I think this would be a great way to bring the idea of feminism into the classroom.
JohnIonaBooks
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Thoughtful, engaged poetry.
Colleen Palladino
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my first poetry collection and it was perfect for just starting in the genre. The collection is very straightforward and easy to understand which makes it less intimidating.
Eleanor Pilcher
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fun millennial interpretation of life at the moment. Full of themes, rhymes and easy lessons! Really enjoyable. Definitely recommended reading!
Farah