Start by marking “The Secret of the Night” as Want to Read:
The Secret of the Night

The Secret of the Night (Joseph Rouletabille #3)

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  137 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Like The Mystery of the Yellow Room, The Secret of the Night is a Joseph Rouletabille mystery. In The Mystery of the Yellow Room fictional detective Rouletabille investigated a complex and seemingly impossible crime - in which the criminal appears to disappear from a locked room! There've been so many locked-room mysteries since that it's become a subgenre - but there are ...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Aegypan Press (first published 1912)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of the Night

Casey
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it
This entry into the Rouletabille series was not as endearing as the previous books were. Even though it was still very good, I don't know I didn't have the same feel after finishing it like I did with the first two. I miss that Sinclair wasn't apart of the adventure (he is after all Rouletabille's Watson) like the previous book it ends on a cliffhanger as Rouletabille returns to Paris.

Things I liked about the book:

- Rouletabille actually was shown to not be a step ahead of everyone in this book
One Flew
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was the second of Leroux's Rouletabille books that i've read and it holds up just as well as the first. The main thing I like about Leroux's mysteries is that they are exactly that, a mystery. I listened to this in audiobook form while working and I was constantly trying to think out the puzzle as I worked. The structure of the story is a little bit clumsy in places, a slight edit would have helped the flow of the narrative but it was entertaining all the same. Rouletabille certainly gives ...more
Maria
Nov 06, 2012 rated it liked it
It was a good book .. but I didn't enjoyed as much as the others
Gary Moreau
I found this book during an aimless exploration of Kindle deals. I chose it strictly by chance but would later discover that the author, Gaston Leroux, was the original author of Phantom of the Opera.

The story, as it turns out, is one of a series that follows the exploits of Joseph Rouletabille, a French reporter/detective. In this case he is brought to Russia by the Czar to protect General Trebassof, whose assassination has been plotted by the revolutionaries—the Nihilists. Rouletabille is aide
Apostolos
Paul Beech
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
The third Joseph Rouletabille thriller has a few moments of greatness, but never really comes close to matching the excellence of the first two novels. Somehow the threat of unknown, unseen terrorists and assassins cannot match that of one lone murderer.
Harley A.Warren
J'aime beaucoup le personnage de Rouletabille, et c'était la première fois que je lisais une des oeuvres originales (je n'avais vu que des adaptations cinématographiques avant ça). Le vrai bon point est que j'aime autant le personnage en livre qu'au cinéma.
Maintenant, je ne sais pas si c'était le meilleur livre par lequel commencer, vu que j'ai trouvé assez difficile de s'attacher à la mission de Rouletabille dans ce roman. Protéger un homme ? Noble mission, bien sûr. Protéger un homme qui a fai
Cindy
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Convoluted plot. Well worth the time to read. Diabolical main character. Evenly paced narration performed by Don W. Jenkins. Recommended.
Chris
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
the narrator of this edition seems to think that French and Russian accents are the same accent. i wish i had read the print version of this one rather than listened to it, as the audio colored my judgement of the story. Leroux does the slow, meandering build that is stylistically consistent with mysteries of the time, and which i have enjoyed in his other work, but the grating narration imbued me with a desire for the book to hurry up and end already.
Yibbie
Mar 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mysteries
There was to much surrealism in it for my taste.
  • Death at the Excelsior and Other Stories
  • The Mystery of the Hidden Room
  • 813
  • The Bat
  • The Circular Study (Mr. Gryce #10)
  • Carmen and Other Stories
  • Lady Molly of Scotland Yard
  • The Stolen White Elephant
  • The Oakdale Affair (Mucker, #3)
  • Evidence of Blood
  • The Monet Murders
  • The Woman in the Movie Star Dress
  • Le sermon sur la chute de Rome
  • The Lady Vanishes
  • Three Ghost Stories
  • A Strange Manuscript found in a Copper Cylinder
Gaston Louis Alfred Leroux was a French journalist and author of detective fiction.

In the English-speaking world, he is best known for writing the novel The Phantom of the Opera (Le Fantôme de l'Opéra, 1910), which has been made into several film and stage productions of the same name, such as the 1925 film starring Lon Chaney, and Andrew Lloyd Webber's 1986 musical. It was also the basis of the 1
More about Gaston Leroux...

Joseph Rouletabille (8 books)
  • The Mystery of the Yellow Room