Start by marking “Heavyweight” as Want to Read:
Heavyweight

Heavyweight

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  203 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Secrets. Their weight can be crushing, but their release can change everything—and not necessarily for the better. Ian is no stranger to secrets. Being a gay teen in a backwater southern town, Ian must keep his orientation under wraps, especially since he spends a lot of time with his hands all over members of the same sex, pinning their sweaty, hard bodies to the wrestlin ...more
Published January 23rd 2014 by Harmony Ink Press

To ask other readers questions about Heavyweight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heavyweight

Jenni
Jan 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-na, biob, cover-love
For me, the most intriguing thing about Heavyweight was Ian: a young guy who's struggling with both his sexuality and an eating disorder. And the wrestling part wasn't half bad, either.

I liked Ian a lot. He's a respectable, socially aware 17-year-old, and I thought his bravado and youth were pretty authentic. Ian is biding his time until he can head off to college—both to escape his alcoholic father and the confines of his small-minded hometown. Though he's not out, Ian knows he's gay, so things
Dylan
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt-read
4.5 stars.

TW for homophobia and eating disorders

REALLY enjoyed this one and the rep for queer boys with bulimia, but knocking half of a star because I felt like his sexuality took a little too much of the story and wanted it to talk more about his mental health.
Tina
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I haven’t had a lot of good experiences with YA titles recently. That Heavyweight wasn’t about an abusive situation made it stand out for me as something different. Plus a friend has been posting some very sexy photos of wrestlers on Facebook! I have a close friend whose son wrestled for seven years in school. I really tried to not notice his body, I really did, until he was 18. But man, I can’t imagine what it would have been like for a gay teenage boy to be rolling around with him all sweaty. ...more
Chris-Wait-For-It-Awesome
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WOW!!! I absolutely loved this book. There were moments were I wanted to scream: STOP! Can't you see what you're doing to this wonderful human being? I almost cried at parts and I loved Jules and Mei Li! Great read!!!
Joyfully Jay
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amy
A Joyfully Jay review.

The strength of this young adult novel is that it deals with heavy themes that are often ignored, and does it well. Eating disorders are often explored in novels, but very seldom with males, even though it is not that uncommon in young adult males, especially amongst wrestlers who are trying to maintain a certain weight class. Mulhall does a wonderful job of exploring the psyche of this underrepresented group of people and showing how emotionally damaging it can b
karlakolumna
Not quite 4 stars, but more than 3.

As far as YA novels go, this was pretty good, heart wrenchingly good at times.
Ian's desperation to escape his drunk, abusive father and the small, narrow minded town he grew up in, and the measures he's willing to take in order to leave as soon as possible are utterly well portrayed, narrated.

The tentative, developing, blossoming love between Ian and Jules is sweet and lovely.

But I gotta say that the high school's, the teacher's and the town's reaction in gen
Andrea M
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So, I read the sample of this book and thought it was good but hadn't intended to buy it because of the price...however I accidentally clicked the wrong button and bought it and I am quite glad I did. This was a surprisingly good book...like I read it in one sitting...it's now nearly 3:15am but it was quite worth it. :)

I actually like all of the characters (well aside from the villains of the story) which is quite rare for me. So kudos to M.B. Mulhall!!

(view spoiler)
Perco
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
JULIAN YANG ROCKSSSS!!!! SO AWESOME, SO CUTE, SO HOT HOT!!!

I KNOW YOU KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. DON'T YOU DENY IT :)
Jenna
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, sports, ya
This book was ok, but there were too many irritating things that kept me from really enjoying it. The first person present tense with the narrator directly addressing the reader just didn't work for me. That's a matter of personal preference though. The other problems were things I just couldn't reconcile in my mind.

The result of Ian's eating disorder didn't make sense to me. With his physical stats and level of exercise, he'd require well over 3000 calories per day just to maintain his weight.
  • Pitch (Transitions, #1)
  • On the Right Track (Vocal Growth, #1)
  • Not Broken, Just Bent
  • Hat Trick (Hat Trick #1)
  • Wrestling With Desire
  • Tales from Foster High (Tales from Foster High, #1-3)
  • By the Creek
  • Safe
  • Ravages
  • Private Display of Affection
  • The Unforgiving Minute
  • A Broken Kind of Life
  • Forever. I Promise.
  • My Life as a Myth (Seasons of Chadham High Vol I)
  • Match Maker
  • Not Letting Go (Not Letting Go, #1)
  • Cold War (Cold War, #1)
  • Play Me, I'm Yours
MB Mulhall is a published author who typically has way too much on her plate. In between making vlogs and writing books, she tests her patience and pays the bills by helping to manage a home for developmentally disabled adults. She has a BA in Comparative Literature and Languages from Hofstra University as well as an Elementary Education degree from Georgian Court University.

She’s a crafter, a pe
More about M.B. Mulhall...