Start by marking “The Dragons are Singing Tonight” as Want to Read:
The Dragons are Singing Tonight

The Dragons are Singing Tonight

From beloved children's poet Jack Prelutsky and acclaimed illustrator Peter Sis comes a fierce, fanciful series of poems all about dragons: dragons fierce and dragons friendly; dragons' lairs and dragons' eggs; even a menacing dragon living inside a computer—all spring to life in these enchanting poems and paintings.

"Prelutsky and Sis bring to life so many sorts of dragon
Published August 27th 1998 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1993)

Start your review of The Dragons are Singing Tonight
Anna Ryckman
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Like with many poetry books, this book is a compilation of separate poems about dragons. From a poem about a kid who owns a pet dragon, to a poem from the perspective of a dragon, to addressing people who don’t believe in dragons, this book is a fun book to introduce different kinds of poetry to a class. This book provides a wide range of difficulty as it has very simple and short poems, as well as longer and more complex poems, making it perfect for any elementary school classroom. This book’s ...more
Joy Schultz
Not what I expected, but charming. Features a variety of dragons: the tiny and nasty sort, bath-sharing types, one plaguing a computer, a disconsolate (!) dragon, etc. Solid rhyme schemes.
Samantha Weatherford
This is a great book of high interest for teaching poetry. Many kids in k-6th like dragons, so it is a good tool for teaching poetry. The poems range from very simple and short to long with difficult vocabulary. The illustrations scaffold the poems, and can be used to teach ryhming, the forms of poetry, and inferring. All of the poems could be used as read alouds, some would be great for choral reading as well.
LauraW
While I love Ride a Purple Pelican, I don't love this one as much. I can't really put my finger on why, but I think it is because the dragons are just a tiny bit TOO much for me. A little bit too scary, too mean, too dangerous. And I am a very nervous reader. In contrast to many kids and adult readers, I do not enjoy being scared or fighting back against bad characters. I will stick to Prelutsky's more tame books, which are, in general, fabulous.
Brittany
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was always a favorite of mine when I was growing up. I recently found my family's copy and read it cover-to-cover once again. The poems are beautifully crafted, but easy for a child to understand. These poems tell how great it would be to have dragons in our world. And who wouldn't want a pet dragon?
Pelican G.
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book will appeal to kids and adults alike. It has poems that evoke a range of emotions, and some that are just fun to read. I recommend it for dragon lovers, as a read-aloud, and for everyone with a wild imagination. (Though the dragons are real, of course.)
Lisa
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lisa by: Mitch Murphy
My kindergarten son (who is now 23) chose this book at a book fair. It is absolutely delightful! Clever poetry and very funny! What I didn't know at the time, was that my son was born in the year of the dragon...........hmmmmmmmm..........coincidence?
Jessica
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I've had this book since I was a teen. Lovely poems about dragons, all very different, coupled wth gorgeous illustrations!
Kelli
Dec 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is the CUTEST book of poetry ever! It's meant for kids, but I love it so much I'm making my high school students make their own dragon book in January when we study poetry!
Alec Longstreth
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Dragons? Poetry? Lush full color illustrations? This is my kind of book!
Nicole Kennedy
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
The dragons are singing tonight contains lots of poems about dragons. Mostly humorous from the dragon's point of view or someone talking about dragons. The point of this book is to make people to believe in dragons. Because this book is a book of multiple different poems about dragons, there is no real plot. Instead it mainly just revolves around the theme of dragons, from a kids who has a pet dragon, to a dragon talking about itself. One of the main poems is about people who don’t believe in dr ...more
Nicola
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, picture-books
Large colour pictures and a variety of temperaments made this a delight to read to Miss 4.

Miss 4 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.
Gmr
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Begun and done. A wonderful little collection of clever rhyming prose that will delight the kiddos, while still enchanting adults with its witty wordy wonders. Hard pressed to pick a favorite, but I have to say, the imagery combined the poem itself of IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN DRAGONS, definitely had me smiling.
Heather
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think it's a good way to get kids involved in reading poetry. Prelutsky is one of my favorite authors, and I enjoy reading the different types of books he writes. Kids love dragons - so why not use that to get them to read poetry?
Ruthie Kornegay
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Read this book of dragon poems aloud while subbing in a fifth grade grade class. I loved the variety in the poems, and the corresponding art was lovely. With poems of all different lengths and with vivid imagery and strong vocabulary, this makes a wonderful mentor text for a poetry unit!
Mollie
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ethereal
a lovely book of poetry about Dragons - lazy ones. dragons who chose not to believe in folks that don't believe in dragons, and dragons that were built by hand and don't fly correctly. About dragon eggs discovered in mother's garden ...it's a sweet book about a favorite subject.
Tyler Nevison
11/28/18
Poetry
Jack Prelutsky wrote in this illustrated children's book just about every poem one could possibly write about dragons. Definitely a must have for a classroom (especially for reluctant readers who love dragons and magic)
Carly Bontrager
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poetry
4th-6th grade
Dragons don’t particular interest me, but I thought this book was fun. I like the rhyme used in the poems. There are so many different poems, all about dragons, which some students may find really fun. I really like Jack Prelutsky’s poem books!
Hilary
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Peter Sis' illustrations contain an element of the medieval, and Prelutsky is always a joy to read aloud. The poems beg to be sung aloud, troubadour style -- be sure to snag a copy of the audiobook, which does just that! A gem of a read-aloud!
Ginny Kaczmarek
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The art and the poems are absolutely delightful. Creative, inspiring, imaginative--a must for fans of dragons and poetry and art. Or any of the above. Or for convincing people who don't think they like dragons, poetry, or art.
Ally Lindley
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed these poems because they're just funny poems about what dragon's do and I think they would be great for students as a fun way to read poetry.
Caitlin Chasse
May 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was okay. The poetry was nice but was also boring. I did not like how every single page was a dragon poem.
Pamela Powell
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTFUL collection of poetry all centered on dragons! I've been reading this one to my own children and to my students for about 15 years. Fantastic and fun !
Christine
This is a fantastic collection!
Eileen
Cute poems about dragons with great illustrations. These are poems that can easily be read out loud. :)
Autumn Lem
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The poetry in this book is hilarious and fantastical. It is so fun to read. Some of the poems could be used as an introduction to a STEM/STEAM activity.
Harley
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think someone write this book FOR me
Paula Greenfield
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book of wonderful dragon poems and wonderful artwork.
Kat
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have come to adore Jack Prelutsky work. He reminds me of Shel Silverstein in the way the he turns child like thought into poetry.
Dawn
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Prelutzky's use of language and images to bring a book alive. No matter what he writes, it's always an adventure.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Saint George and the Dragon
  • Punctuation Celebration
  • Hades: Lord of the Dead (Olympians, #4)
  • Hooray For The 4th Of July Level 2
  • Cheer Up Chicken-P
  • Dinothesaurus: Prehistoric Poems and Paintings
  • Pandora's Legacy
  • Best Little Word Book Ever
  • The Great Ice Battle (The Secrets of Droon, #5)
  • Cast No Shadow
Jack Prelutsky is an American poet. He attended New York public schools, and later the High School of Music and Art and Hunter College. Prelutsky, who has also worked as a busboy, furniture mover, folk singer, and cab driver, claims that he hated poetry in grade school because of the way it was taught. He is the author of more than 30 poetry collections including Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your ...more

News & Interviews