Start by marking “As You Are (The Jonquil Brothers #3)” as Want to Read:
As You Are (The Jonquil Brothers #3)

As You Are

(The Jonquil Brothers #3)

A horse breeder by trade, Corbin Jonquil is more at home in the stables than in the ballroom of his sprawling estate. Corbin is the quietest of the Jonquil brothers and has always faded into the background, contentedly unnoticed. When a mysterious young widow, Mrs. Clara Bentford, moves into the neighborhood, however, Corbin quickly comes to realize that being noticed has ...more
Published January 2nd 2014 by Covenant Communications, Inc. (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about As You Are, please sign up.
Sukzar Because Edmund, when he started helping at Havenworth, mentioned Fanny to her... "Jim said Johnny was playing with Fanny’s heart". She didn't know of …moreBecause Edmund, when he started helping at Havenworth, mentioned Fanny to her... "Jim said Johnny was playing with Fanny’s heart". She didn't know of course who Fanny was back then.(less)
QNPoohBear Adults only due to the villains. There's a lot of domestic violence in the past.

Start your review of As You Are (The Jonquil Brothers #3)
Kathy
This is a nice addition to the Jonquil Brothers series. It's not my favorite in the series, deals with some serious issues so its not as light as I usually like. It was fun seeing the Jonquin's come together to help out Clara and Corbin. They're both likable characters and you cant help turning the pages to see how these two will ever come together.

Overall, a great series and one I would recommend.

Content
Romance: Clean, just kisses
Language: None
Violence: Moderate, talks about abuse, mild violen
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
Corbin is my favorite of the Jonquil brothers and I just loved his story! His quiet confidence is so appealing, and his uncertainty around women and Clara in particular is endearing. I love how protective he is of her and the way he helps her son through his horses. Loved the tension between Corbin and Clara and the sweet romance.
Kathy Jo
The Jonquil brothers just keep getting better and better! I really liked As You Are. :)

Saying Corbin is extremely shy is kind of an understatement. He not only has a hard time talking and expressing himself with his peers but also his family... which, in my opinion, is really sad. Poor Clara has been put through the wringer WAY too many times throughout her life. She doesn't trust men at all... which is totally understandable considering her past. Corbin and Clara were perfect for each other. Th
Anne Osterlund
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Corbin is in love with his new neighbor. He fell in love with her at first sight and is willing to do almost anything to court the beautiful young widow. Problem is . . . he can’t talk to her. Has never really been good at talking to anyone; and with Clara, the process is utterly impossible.

Clara is afraid of men, with good reason. Every man she has ever known—her father, her husband, her husband’s brother—has treated her with disrespect. And violence. She has no interest in being courted, espec
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I can't help it. I love Sarah Eden's books. They just fill up that favorite historical clean romance place that I love. The male lead, Corbin, isn't your usual "type" of lead but he is a gentleman in every sense of the word and I loved that. Painfully shy, can't string together two sentences let alone one most of the time but gentle and full of love and loyalty. Love Corbin, love his family, love this series.
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Corbin Jonquil is a man who has a hard time expressing himself. He becomes awkward and speaks in broken sentences. His condition is amplifies when a lovely widow moves in to the residence closest to his home. She immediately catches his attention and his interest.

Mrs. Clara Bentford is fleeing her past. She wants to begin a new life away from the memories and the presence of a man who wants to hurt her, her daughter, and her nephew. She hopes that this town will provide the shelter and peace tha
1.5 stars.

I adore a good, clean read and actually prefer no smut, but that can't be all a book offers me. While I appreciate the author's attempt to offer a story that's very wholesome and sweet, the MCs were woefully underdeveloped. When I feel I can adequately describe either MC with one word, it's not a good thing. For most of the story, the H was awkward and the h was scared. He stuttered and stammered a lot; she had to constantly remind herself not to be scared. I had hopes that this would
Tori (Book Chick)
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
April 2014: I love Sarah Eden. She hasn't disappointed with any of her books. I loved Corbin Jonquil and his poor shy, socially awkward self. He was just a sweetheart. I cheered for him the whole book. <3

Re-read Dec. 2014... 5 stars... Love it.

Re-read March 2017: 1 of my all time favorite books! Corbin, you are my favorite Jonquil brother. Absolutely perfect, just as you are! (See what I did there? ;)
Linda Hart
just ok...lacks depth. found myself wanting to get to the end so I could move on to something else.
Kelly
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Corbin is just like me! I loved his journey! I loved how he found his happily ever after!

This book brought a few tears while reading it too!!
Tito
Once again Sarah Eden has written an amazing novel that's perfect for when you're looking for a cute fun and light read. The main characters were as lovable as always, and I'm enjoying this series very much. Plus, this books holds a special place in my heart because of a special guest appearance :)
Ranee Clark
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Audience: Adult (Clean)
Genre: Regency Romance
Length: 193 pgs

Rating: *****+ (Loved, Loved, LOVED this book)

Review: I never believed Phillip Jonquil would be usurped in his position as my favorite of Sarah's heroes. And...I don't know, maybe he hasn't been, but Corbin. Oh, Corbin. *swooning sigh* You know that strong, silent type that's oooh-la-la. That. So, what I'm saying is, excellent hero. I also love how real Corbin is, how much of his silence is a struggle. All the characters of this one are
QNPoohBear
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars... for the darkness

Corbin Jonquil has always been the quiet brother. He struggles to get words out and has always been more comfortable with horses than people. Then he spies the beautiful young widow, Mrs. Bentford at church and he's smitten. While it's easy to play peek-a-book with her young daughter, it's a lot harder to actually make conversation with the lady. Clara Bentford isn't sure what to make of Mr. Jonquil's attentions. He seems disapproving and taciturn, probably because
Heidi
Oh how I love Sarah Eden's books. In fact this very well could be my favorite. I don't know whether that's because it's the one I just recently read or because I just adored it. First of all...Corbin quickly became one of my favorite heroes ever. I loved everything about his character. He honestly reminded me soooo much of my own husband and hero(minus the blonde hair blue eyes of course....but I went ahead and changed that.lol :) maybe that's why he was so endearing. Then on to our heroine Clar ...more
Jane
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.75 stars - pg/mild pg13

I loved it! (Surprise! Surprise!) Sweet story, except.... I was holding my breath throughout, just waiting for the villain to finally show up around the next corner page. Love this author! Love this large fictional family of well-raised, true gentlemen who can always be counted on to support each other and to show respect to the women around them, starting with their mother! I rarely re-read books; Sarah Eden's books are one of the exceptions (along with Georgette Heyer)
Donna Weaver
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*sigh* I love the Jonquils. Each of the books I've read so far has brought us closer to the individual brothers. This one is no exception. It was was so fun to follow Corbin as he found (and fought for) his happily ever after. Wonderful characters and enough fear and romance to keep me up reading way too late.
herdys
All I can say is that I have fallen in love with this family and this author. I really need the rest of the brothers to have books NOW lol.

Sarah M. Eden continues to break my heart with little kids, perfect shy hero and though she still persists with the little missunderstandings, a heroine who went throug hellish times but doesn't let it define her. Plus we get horses! ;)
Kristina Brownell
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Definitely my favorite sarah eden book. It had me hooked right from the dedication page. So sweet. I really loved that the guy is not at all a typical romantic hero. It was refreshing. Glad I bought it.
Lauren
Bless these freaking books I love them. This book introduced the love interest in the second sentence because it is not messing around and it knows what the people want.
Yeah. The man main character is shy, and stutters through basic sentences, but has no problems whipping out snazzy one-liners when there is a threat. Okay. Sure. That's how being anxious works, but you know what whatever, it was hot and it made her feel safe and protected. And they are both hopelessly in love and yet can't see t
OK. I think I am done reading Ms. Eden's books. These are just light, clean romances and sometimes that is exactly the kind of diversion one wants. However...At the risk of doing exactly what Ms. Eden does that makes me so infuriated, she just keeps repeating herself over and over again: this character is so afraid of men; she's terrified of men; she's so afraid that she can never trust a man - did I mention that men scare her? Aaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhh! I just can't take it anymore. I've never felt ...more
Miss Clark
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical
Megan
Although a different type of feel than the first book in the series I still loved it to pieces. It was sweet and endearing and even though the conversations weren’t vast between Corbin and Clara the feelings between the two that leaped from the page made me not stop reading until I had finished.

It was a bit quicker than book one and although I tried book 2(Friends and Foes) and didn’t care for the first 20%, I decided to skip book 3(Drops of Gold)completely. Tremendously happy I did.

There was
Melissa
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OH my do I love a Eden book:} This one was great! I would suggest reading in this order- Kiss of a Stranger, Friends and Foes and Drops of Gold then As you are. It will be so much more enjoyable and each one of those other books are amazing too. There are many characters in those books that are in this book. They are a family of brothers and this is Corban's story of finding love. I loved the characters, the setting and the execution. Just the most perfect book for me:} This and all her other bo ...more
Julie Daines
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fun and engaging retelling of Anne Brontë's novel "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall," which is one of my all-time favorite novels, so of course I enjoyed this one too.

Although, "As You Are" is set earlier than "Wildfell Hall," so does that still qualify as a retelling? . . . Pretelling?
Hannah
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love these stories about the Jonquil family! It's always pleasant to encounter examples of such coherent and happy family relationships as these young men and their mother have. And the lovely Clara in this book is a pleasant and spunky heroine.
Jen
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I just realized this was the third in a series. I found it easily understood having not read the other two yet.

A sweet story of two people who felt perhaps love was not to be for them. Each with baggage and issues to work through. The author did a good job of portraying in writing the speech issues Corbin had, while not belaboring the issue. I enjoyed the banter and interaction between the brothers a nice additional layer to the story.

My only complaint might have been the perhaps just one too m
⭐Richelle
I absolute love Corbin! He is my favorite Jonquil by far. As with all of her books, I enjoyed this one immensely. I loved seeing Corbin overcome some of his shyness, and the struggles with his speach were real and sometimes heartbreaking. Living in an aristocratic family and having that kind of difficulty would make it easy for him to be overshadowed by the rest of his family and acquaintances. I love that his family sees him as the great equal he is, and never ridicule him for his difficulties. ...more
Melissa
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book and I think getting to know Corbin was the main reason. I totally understood how he felt when he had a hard time speaking. I'm the opposite, I talk too much when I'm nervous. Maybe I'll give his method a try. I liked how patient and sweet and kind he was. The author did a great job describing how a family is, both the Jonquil family and Clara's family. Both are totally different families but Eden seemed to understand.
Chrissy
Can I just say how awesome it is when the Jonquil Brothers kicked all those weasels tormenting Clara to the curb? Bonus points for an appearance by the Duke of Kielder. I adore him so much :)

Probably my favorite of this series thus far. The stakes were high, but that just made the resolution that much more satisfying.
Clara
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sarah M Eden did it once again

I enjoyed getting to know Corbin Jonquil, who appeared little in the past books. And Sarah surely chose the perfect girl for him ;)
Another endearing story I’ll sure be rereading!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 27, 2014 02:12PM

• Becoming Lady Lockwood
  • Lord Fenton's Folly
  • Lady Emma's Campaign
  • A Proper Charade
  • Promises and Primroses (Mayfield Family #1)
  • A Heart Revealed (A Proper Romance #1)
  • A Proper Scandal
  • Heir to Edenbrooke (Edenbrooke, #0.5)
  • Daisies and Devotion (Mayfield Family, #2)
  • Blackmoore
  • Miss Burton Unmasks a Prince
  • Lady Helen Finds Her Song
  • Promised
  • Simply Anna (Regency Romance)
  • Lakeshire Park
  • Miss Whitaker Opens Her Heart
  • A Lady's Favor
  • Miss Wilton's Waltz (A Proper Romance #5)

The Jonquil Brothers (7 books)
  • The Kiss of a Stranger (The Jonquil Brothers, #0)
  • Friends and Foes (The Jonquil Brothers, #1)
  • Drops of Gold (The Jonquil Brothers #2)
  • A Fine Gentleman (The Jonquil Brothers #4)
  • For Love or Honor (The Jonquil Brothers #5)
  • The Heart of a Vicar (The Jonquil Brothers #6)