Start by marking “How to Speak Tech: The Non-Techie's Guide to Technology Basics in Business” as Want to Read:
How to Speak Tech: The Non-Techie's Guide to Technology Basics in Business

How to Speak Tech: The Non-Techie's Guide to Technology Basics in Business

In a way that anyone can understand, How to Speak Tech: The Non-Techie's Guide to Technology Basics in Business spells out the essential technical terms and technologies involved in setting up a website or web application. Nontechnical business readers will find their digital literacy painlessly improved with each ten-minute chapter of this illustrative story of one ...more
Paperback, 1st, 160 pages
Published December 30th 2013 by Apress (first published December 26th 2013)

Start your review of How to Speak Tech: The Non-Techie's Guide to Technology Basics in Business
Aditi D
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"How to Speak Tech" is a well-written, captivating, and tremendously useful book. The story, the amount of information, and the level at which its told, I believe has met the need in our society to truly understand the basics of technology. This book proves you don't have to be a computer engineer to understand the basics of technology and the role technology has played in all sectors. Highly recommend this book to all!
Powell Omondi
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: african
There is a lot of information provided in this book that one needs to ponder on. However, it might be too technical for someone without an IT background despite the fact that it is meant for those with non-techies. This book will be very beneficial to one with a deep interest in pursuing an IT career or involved in IT management positions but with a limited knowledge on tech.
Kate
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: educational
An approachable overview of tech concepts. It provides a little more depth than Swipe to Unlock. For example, it explains the difference between programming languages. Id recommend starting with Swipe to Unlock and then reading this to cement the knowledge. ...more
Eric
Aug 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Being an established system Admin/Engineer. This book was way too basic for my taste.
George Rodriguez
Mar 10, 2014 rated it liked it
You cant turn around today without reading, hearing (or in this case writing about) Big Data, web applications or Social Media.

If you are an anointed one working in Silicon Valley, Silicon Alley or Silicon add your local landmark of choice, understanding technology is like understanding how to breathe - you just do it.

For the rest of us luckily there are books like Vinay Trivedis How to Speak Tech. Vinay is clearly a techie, but he also understands that what is taken for granted in some quarters
Nathan Beck
Jan 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-read
This is a goodreads firstread.

I always hate giving a bad rating on a first read book. I mean, it took time and money to get a book to someone who acted interested in their work. And I did give it a try. For months I read a page or two at a time, and within a few words I would start day dreaming. So finally today I sat down and skimmed the last half of the book. To Trivedi's credit, he did try to "dumb" things down for me. Giving analogies and even graphs that should easily represent what he was
Chris
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book works really well, until the back end. I could follow most of this, and understand the flow and process, up and until we got into the final publishing and debugging process. Neither seemed horribly difficult, but it just got too short in the explanations from where the book started off. If you've never done tech work but have a reason to understand what is being discussed, I'd say this is worth some of your time.
Fredrick Danysh
Feb 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: advance-read
The author attempts to simply the workings of the internet and websites for people without technical training. It does provide good information for those with a grasp of modern communicating via social media but is a little confusing that need it in a CSL [computer as a second language] format. Overall, the work would help understand the internet and creating websites for the non-geek. A good overall tool to begin learning the internet. This was a free review copy from the author.
Brent Jaye
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Solid inch deep and a mile wide view of technology in business
Samson
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Meh
Thu-Hong
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Brief overview into the tech world. I would recommend it for an intro. Not the most engaging or simple to go through.
Scott
Jun 13, 2019
Katerina
Aug 15, 2017
Jackson Matos
rated it did not like it
Feb 25, 2018
Sterling
Oct 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

• Swipe to Unlock: The Primer on Technology and Business Strategy
  • Classic Krakauer: After the Fall, Mark Foo's Last Ride and Other Essays from the Vault
  • This Fight Is Our Fight: The Battle to Save America's Middle Class
  • Doing Good Better: How Effective Altruism Can Help You Make a Difference
  • She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement
  • Get Lucky (Lucky In Love, #1)
  • Better Allies: Everyday Actions to Create Inclusive, Engaging Workplaces
  • No god but God: The Origins, Evolution and Future of Islam
  • Social Engineering: The Art of Human Hacking
  • The Kreutzer Sonata
  • The Red Dahlia (Anna Travis #2)
  • Good and Mad: The Revolutionary Power of Women's Anger
  • How Democracies Die: What History Reveals About Our Future
  • North: Finding My Way While Running the Appalachian Trail
  • Bad News (Patrick Melrose, #2)
  • Never Mind (Patrick Melrose, #1)
  • The Gentlemen's Book of Etiquette, and Manual of Politeness
  • The Mystic Path to Cosmic Power (Reward classics)
Vinay Trivedi works in technology investing with experience at Blackstone Private Equity and SoftBank Vision Fund. He angel invests out of an ESG-oriented pre-seed fund that he co-founded called Freeland Group. His experience also includes product management at Citymapper and Locu, two venture-backed startups in London and Boston, respectively.

Trivedi serves on the Steering Committee of Startup in

News & Interviews

With clever detectives, missing jewels, murderous women, daring spies, and more, mysteries and thrillers deliver page-turning delight with ever...