Start by marking “The Whispering Skull (Lockwood & Co., #2)” as Want to Read:
The Whispering Skull (Lockwood & Co., #2)

The Whispering Skull

(Lockwood & Co. #2)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  16,972 ratings  ·  2,087 reviews
In the six months since Anthony, Lucy, and George survived a night in the most haunted house in England, Lockwood & Co. hasn't made much progress. Quill Kipps and his team of Fittes agents keep swooping in on Lockwood's investigations. Finally, in a fit of anger, Anthony challenges his rival to a contest: the next time the two agencies compete on a job, the losing side wil ...more
Published September 25th 2014 by Doubleday Childrens (first published September 16th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Whispering Skull, please sign up.
Deb I think it is a different experience for the Middle School aged readers who probably enjoy being empowered and more powerful than the adults that rule…moreI think it is a different experience for the Middle School aged readers who probably enjoy being empowered and more powerful than the adults that rule their lives!(less)
Rosie This is an late answer, but yes. Yes it is.

·  16,972 ratings  ·  2,087 reviews

Start your review of The Whispering Skull (Lockwood & Co., #2)
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”Well,” Lockwood said, “if you judge success by the number of enemies you make, that was a highly successful evening.”

Did I ever mention that I love “Lockwood & Co”? Those three are so funny and amazing and it was a pleasure to be able to dive back into their world. It felt like I never left it and I had no problem to get back into the game. =)

This time around they were after an object that was pilfered from a mysterious coffin and I was really curious how this story would unfold. I love haunted
Alyssa
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-5-stars, 2017-reads
4.5 Stars

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ and a half / 5 stars
Lead Male Character: ★ ★ ★ ★ / 5 stars
Lead Female Character: ★ ★ ★ ★ / 5 stars
Plotline: ★ ★ ★ ★ / 5 stars
Genre: Mystery, middle-grade, thriller, action, adventure, ghosts
Will I recommend this book to others?: Of course!
Will I reread this book?: Yes!
Overall story summed up in one word: Marvelous!

There are just some books out there that are so good that words can't do it any justice. You simply have to pick up the book and read it for yourself to see
may ❀
Y’all wanna know a secret?? I read this book back in June and I seemed to have forgot I had to write a review for it. 😉 😉 😉

There’s something with the books in this series that starts off REALLY slow and takes me quite a while to get into, but once I’m into it, I CANNOT PUT IT DOWN.

"It's hard to say no to him. It always is"

- you know you got issues when you’re more invested in shipping 13 year olds than actively living your life
- ft. a type 3 whispering skull that is a savage and prefers to roa
Sana
This is a reread.

LOOK I'M CRYING. I AM DYING. THAT ENDING IS SO SWEET AND I JUST WANT TO CRY. The characters, the plot twist, this entire story is just so incredible, hilarious and everything I need in life. I love George, Lucy and Lockwood more than I love myself and that probably sounds really sad lmao. I'm incapable of writing a review bc honestly i don't know how to for this. All you need to know that this series is perfection. So get your butt to read it, if you haven't??
Frankie Lovely
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Frankie Lovely by: Sana
4 stars
Review to come

Still great but I didn't love it as much as the first.

This one had a big of a drag in the middle.

But still an awesome series for all ages!!
Darth J
Oct 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Darth J by: Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤
So this sequel finds Lockwood and Co. on the hunt for an artifact known as the bone mirror (which has powers that are speculated upon, but never fully explained):

They are guided by a glowing green head in a jar:

Along the way, they find themselves in a restricted library:

And then sword-fighting ensues because they carry rapiers around everywhere for some reason:

Then there's a final showdown with a shadowy figure:

I have to say the storytelling seemed quite scalloped to me, in that there are many l
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
Aug 27, 2019 marked it as will-continue-reading-later  ·  review of another edition
I think reading slump likes me because it has come to me more than once this year and I’m also in reading slump right now which irks me so much.

Anyway, I hope this book will be able to help me to get rid of this annoying reading slump of mine. This book sounds pretty intriguing and I miss the characters and the humor! ☺️
Ginger
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
The Whispering Skull is the second book in the Lockwood & Co. series and starts off 6 months later after the group survives the night in one of the most haunted houses in England.

Anthony Lockwood, Lucy and George get a new client that wants help with an excavation of a body in an old cemetery. Turns out the body is Edmund Birckerstaff who had died in a violent way years ago and his coffin is sealed in silver.
This is the start of a fun and well paced sequel that includes the mystery of the death
✶Rachelle✶

This was just wonderful. The action, the romance, the suspense. Agghhh I can't get enough of it! Lockwood, Lucy, and George have become my newest book BFFs. AND THAT ENDING.

So I can't really review this without spoiling the first book, so if you haven't read the first book stop reading this review and go read the book!!

Lucy's Talent becomes more and more intriguing....and in this one, we find out that the ghost in the jar is actually a Type 3 and our girl Lucy can communicate with him.
Veronique
4.5 re-read

"Well,' Lockwood said, "if you judge success by the number of enemies you make, that was a highly successful evening.”

I had high expectations for this book, having loved the first one, and thankfully The Whispering Skull didn't disappoint. Stroud builds on the previous events as well as on the characters' development. We are once more thrown into ever more thrilling action, suitably creepy, interspersed by scenes focused on our protagonists, while resolving an intriguing mystery. I mu
Mel (Epic Reading)
Ahhh that ending!! Good thing book 3 is sitting (somewhere) in my basement and March 1 is only days away. For record I totally figured it was something like what it is behind it all.
A great little story, but not as good as the first. This one lacked some ambience at times that book 1 was sooo great at.
Madeline
I read the first book in the Lockwood & Co series over a year ago, mainly out of nostalgia - I was a huge fan of Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus series when I was younger, and it was fun to discover Stroud's newer series. It had everything I expected from a Stroud book: scary paranormal stuff, sassy banter, fast-paced action, and a setting that I still cannot stop imagining as Victorian England. (I think it's the fact that the kids use rapiers as weapons that's throwing me off, but there's honestly ...more
Lulu   reed
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is fantastic. It builds on the first and is every bit as good if not even better. My teen adores this series, and this delivered on her excitement.

I am frustrated with shipping. It was preordered and said it would arrive on the release date. The tracking information had it out for delivery and then after 8 p.m listed it as delivered on the doorstep. We received it from lasership the next afternoon. It was not, as marked, delivered on the 16th, and there is no obvious place to note that.
Faye, la Patata
So you live in a haunted house, and are regularly disturbed by... erm, supernatural beings day in and day out. You have work in the morning, but god forbid that female ghost roaming in the halls freaking you out to the point of pissing your pants. You want to sleep but you can't shake off that weird feeling following you around the house. One day, your patience has been stretched to the point of no return when a hostile entity manifests itself, and you promptly realize that this has to be stoppe ...more
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Creepy, friendship, secrets, adventure, GHOSTS!

I love this creepy alternative world that Jonathan Stroud has created. It's dark and twisted and I can't get enough.

These books are creepy. These books are excellent.

The Whispering Skill is just as well written as the first Lockwood & Co. and doesn't fall into that second book trap. If anything, this one is filled with even more heart-pounding action!

And I love Lucy.

She's just as kick-ass as she was the first time round, still a complex cha
bella farren
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 / 5 stars

"'Plan F, we follow Plan F, right now.'

'Is that the one where we run away?'

'Not at all. It's the one where we beat a dignified emergency retreat.'”

Once again, I was transported into this book and enjoyed every minute of it. I didn't realise how much I missed Lucy, Lockwood and George until they started bantering again—they're hilarious with their little British insults.

This is the second book in the Lockwood & Co. series, and it picked up where it left off. Lockwood & Co. is L
☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness
This series is fantastic. I liked book 1 a bit more but this was great anyway. I hope book 3 will be a 5 star read again. Oh and why the hell is there a different narrator in every Audiobook?¿? Unacceptable.*grumbles*
Stacey (prettybooks)
I forgot how much I love Lockwood, George and Lucy. They're one of my favourite trios in children's fiction at the moment, rivalling the most famous of them all. Each character shines, from Lockwood's inexplicable ability to act and think both like a teenage boy and an old man, George's chaotic dedication to researching archives and consuming biscuits, and Lucy's impressive intelligence and determination to solve even the most dangerous of cases and support her argumentative friends. She's been ...more
Katie Lumsden
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such good fun! Well-paced, funny and imaginative - I would highly recommend.
Jody
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, spooktacular
Thoughts: The Whispering Skull was another entertaining read in Jonathan Stroud's Lockwood & Co. series. Book 2 takes place 6 months after book 1, and Lockwood, Lucy, and George have been trying to build their reputation as one of the top ghost hunting agencies in London. They have been doing a decent job considering the bigger and more established agencies they have to go up against.

In this installment Lockwood & Co. are asked to oversee an odd ironbound casket be dug up in Kensal Green Cemete
AliceGoldstein
Still so much months to go *sigh* *sigh*
Is anybody else seriously starting to feel like this too?:

The perfect sequel!I loved how Lucy starts to understand her powers and that she feels more confident because of them.
Tara ☽
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, m-g
Sometimes you just need to read a series about a trio of sassy teenagers hunting ghosts and solving mysteries together to be reminded that life is worth living.

I have officially decided to adopt Lucy Carlyle, Anthony Lockwood and George Cubbins. You know you're growing slightly out of the official target age range for YA when this is your reaction to a group of teenage characters - even though these are admittedly on the younger end of YA. Honestly I think this series is the perfect bridge betwe
samantha  (books-are-my-life20)
Great book, reminds me a lot of the kinship in the Harry Potter series, the author's has a great writing style! he does an amazing job at keeping the balance with thrilling and humar and curiousity!
Eilonwy
Having gained a bit of a reputation for solving the problem of the Screaming Staircase, Lockwood & Company get hired to tackle another troublesome ghost -- this time, in direct competition with their arch enemies, the Fittes Agency.

I don't want to say too much about this second book in this series. It continues in the same vein as the previous volume, with equal mixes of humor, tension, mystery, and complicated plot threads that tie together in the most unexpected ways. I greatly enjoyed it.

W
Lata
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucy, Lockwood and George are ghost hunting again, and the humour, horror and sarcasm fly equally. This time, the head in the jar provides equal measures of assistance and insults while the trio work on their latest large case to find and secure a dangerous mirror with a deadly history.
The series continues to be fun, though I felt uncomfortable by how often George's weight was brought up and used to insult him. Lucy's discomfort, and at times, insulting assessment of the other females the group
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dtb-book
I really liked the first book but this was so much better than the first. Even though I had a bit of a slow start with it, once it did get going I had a hard time putting it down.

The characters are more fleshed out as well as the modern yet almost steampunk/Victorian feel to the world that Lucy and gang live in. Plus, the ghosts were scarier and the stakes were higher. Can't get much better than that. I'm really looking forward to reading the third book (hopefully) soon.
Ardent Reader
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Same as the first book.
Full of detailed explanations and a whispering skull added to their team.
The author has well balanced the curiosity and as well as the humor.
Kribu
Last year, The Screaming Staircase was one of my most anticipated - with a certain amount of anxiety - books of the year. I didn't actually expect to love Lockwood & Co. as much as I'd loved Stroud's Bartimaeus series, but I hoped to love the book anyway.

And I did like it. I did. I just never really connected with it. Wanting to love it, so badly, probably didn't help - my expectations were so high that the book, which was, actually, really pretty good, ended up a little bit disappointing.

Never
Bonnie
“Well, I make that one murder victim, one police interrogation and one conversation with a ghost,” George said. “Now that’s what I call a busy evening.”
Lockwood nodded. “To think some people just watch television.”

Lockwood, Lucy and George are back and at it again, diving straight into another perilous assignment this time involving the most dangerous Visitor they have yet to go up against. After a recent job goes awry and the recently excavated burial site has been looted, including a most
The Captain
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Ahoy there me mateys! Day two with book two of the Lockwood & Co. series completed. Challenge is going well so far. Arrr! If ye haven’t read the first book in this series, the screaming staircase, then ye might want to skip this post and go read the first book. Worth the read. If ye keep reading this log then ye have been forewarned and continue at yer own peril . . . . . .

It was absolutely wonderful to get back to Lucy Carlyle and the rest of the agency run by Lockwood. The gang survived the bi
Middle Grade Madn...: Lockwood & Co. Readathon Book 2 - February 2020 43 22 Mar 02, 2020 10:59PM
Characters 4 51 Oct 17, 2014 07:11AM

• Jackaby (Jackaby, #1)
  • Моцарт 2.0
  • Тенета Війни
  • Академія Аматерасу
  • Beastly Bones (Jackaby, #2)
  • Liebe
  • Bone
  • Юра
  • Варта у Грі
  • Playing with Fire (Skulduggery Pleasant, #2)
  • The Night Gardener
  • Варта у Грі. Артефакти Праги
  • Ghostly Echoes (Jackaby, #3)
  • The Dire King (Jackaby, #4)
  • Constable & Toop
  • Heap House (Iremonger, #1)
  • Особенная тень (Смерть и Тень, #2)
  • Білий попіл
Jonathan Anthony Stroud is an author of fantasy books, mainly for children and youths.

Stroud grew up in St Albans where he enjoyed reading books, drawing pictures, and writing stories. Between the ages seven and nine he was often ill, so he spent most of his days in the hospital or in his bed at home. To escape boredom he would occupy himself with books and stories. After he completed his studies

Lockwood & Co. (5 books)
  • The Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co., #1)
  • The Hollow Boy (Lockwood & Co., #3)
  • The Creeping Shadow (Lockwood & Co., #4)
  • The Empty Grave (Lockwood & Co., #5)