Start by marking “It's Christmas!” as Want to Read:
It's Christmas!

It's Christmas!

(I Can Read: Level 3)

Twelve humorous, easy-to-read poems that celebrate the spirit of Christmas. "The poems cover subjects of interest to children--making a Christmas list, performing in the school assembly, cutting a Christmas tree. Children enjoy Prelutsky's poetry, and`this book should prove no exception."--School Library Journal. ...more
Published October 19th 1995 by William Morrow (first published September 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about It's Christmas!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Christmas!

Start your review of It's Christmas!
Josiah
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Marylin Hafner is the perfect illustrator for Jack Prelutsky's short books of holiday poetry, and the pair have worked their magic again in this sprightly celebration of Christmas and the excitement surrounding every aspect of that special day. There's a mischievous sparkle to Jack Prelutsky's ear-pleasing verse, and Marylin Hafner's affectionate, low-key imagery winsomely depicts American holiday traditions and the way they bring families together.

"It's Christmas! Merry Christmas!
Yes, it's
Margaret Chind
As we have started to gather more and more I Can Read, leveled readers I have been anxious to see what I would find in a Level 3 "Reading Alone" with "complex plots for confident readers". My first experience is absolutely a positive one! It's Christmas! is slightly longer than your average 32 page early reader at 47 pages and while it it not exactly a plotted story, this is a book of poetry that is just grand for the new reader. Every few pages has a cute and quaint poem filled with Christmas ...more
Michelle Adamo #emptynestreader
It's Christmas by Jack Prelutsky is the perfect way to introduce poetry into children's lives. It's Christmas contains 12 fun and funny poems about Christmas and Christmas-related things that children will love (and adults won't easily become bored with)!
Children will love the silliness of:
Dear Santa Claus,
It's me again
reminding you I'm here, I'm making my list easier
and shorter than last year.
I'd like a stack of comic books,
a dozen apple pies,
a box of chocolate brownies,
and an elephant that
Catherine
Classic Jack Pretlusky. Clever, funny poems around preparations for Christmas. It depicts a very traditional looking Christmas in the north with plenty of snow. I have not read it to my south Florida based students, but I may offer it to them next Christmas season. Second graders can probably read it independently.
Alexandra
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from my 1st Grade teacher as part of a class gift (MANY years ago now) but honestly this is one of my favorite books ever. I spent hours and hours reading it as a child. And now that I have my own son, I'm having the best time revisiting these fun, short little poems with him. Definitely recommend!
Kathleen
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and catchy poems for the winter season! I like the one about sending Christmas cards.
Michael Fitzgerald
Typical Prelutsky - take it or leave it. Not crazy about the new illustrations. Judging by the cover, I'd probably prefer the originals.
Pam
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, lower-elem
Delightful set of poems about Christmas for early readers.
Shelly Hammond
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a terrific I Can Read Christmas themed book. It's full of short poems with humor throughout that kids should really like and enjoy reading. The poems range in everything from "Our Christmas Tree" to "Singing Christmas Carols".

The book is quite short, which is always nice for a level three I Can Read so it will keep the childs attention and the parent should enjoy listening to the stories being read (or reading them as well). Very fun book!
Anne
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Ash
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A small book of quirky, tame, timely children's poems, perfectly composed. I like the variety of topics and personalities the poems come from, and the illustrations are very well done, and really call to my inner child. The whole book is fun to read and to look at, and the Christmas theme is well done.
Dolly
Dec 17, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This book is filled with fun, short poems about Christmas. Although my youngest daughter was a little disappointed that there was no story, I think our girls enjoyed listening to the poems. The book is short enough to read at one time, or perfect for reading a few each night as Christmas approaches.
Monica Johnson
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Poem book written for ages nursey (N) to primary (P). Great illustrations and easy to read poems. Fun reading for young readers will guarantee a very special reading experience! I give them all five stars!
Ashley
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, re-read
Was given this by my second grade teacher in elementary school. Loved it as a kid.

Felt like re-reading this for a quick holiday read. This is perfect to read to young children on Christmas eve.

Happy Reading, Ashley.
Violet
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a cute book. I definitely recommend it for kids who are excited about Christmas (or adults who appreciate silly poetry for children.) The illustrations are cute and some are downright hilarious!
Volkert
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Book of children's poems about Christmas. Totally secular, but cute and funny. Great for kids. Some possibilities for songs here. Having written a melody for a Prelutsky poem in the past, I wanted to read more.
Susan
Dec 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry to see they put out a newer edition with different illustrations as part of the charm of this book (pictured here) are the really charming illustrations by Marilyn Hafner.
Eden
This is a nice book of Christmas poems. I didn't enjoy this as much as other books I've read by this author, but it was still good and had some really fun poems.
Terry
LOTS of fun ... even the 11-year-old liked it. To read our full review, go to the Reading Tub.
Mary
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, christmas
A fun collection of kid-friendly rhyming poetry. Two especially funny poems, "Auntie Flo" and "My Christmas Pup" are great additions to any Christmas story time.
Sylvia
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holiday-book, owned
Great poems to read aloud to children. Jack Prelutsky's poems are a great introduction to poetry for young ones.
Margaret Dee
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Christmas poems for young and old.
Keshia
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classroom, own
Cute book I have for my classroom. Easy to read for my students who struggle with reading.
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 4 year old loves these Jack Prelutsky poems. They're funny, have great rhyme patterns, and appeal to a child's sense of humor.
Sierra Bookworm☺️♪
my first grade teacher loved these poems =)
William Wright
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, little book of Christmas poems.
Cheryl
Funny funny poems. Usually I put which is my favorite but it was too hard to choose between Our Christmas Tree or Singing Christmas Carols.
Muzima
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Firstly, so many images of this book are shows the real life of the people when the Christmas day was coming. Children's happiness, Children hope their gift from Santa Claus when they fall asleep, Christmas Tree... This is a poem which is also like a letter who wrote to the Santa Claus. It is also recall my childhood when the Christmas day coming.
Allie
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday
Cute book of Christmas poetry! (Keep)

• Vegetables in Underwear
  • Jingle Bugs: A Merry Pop-up Book with Lights and Music
  • Duck on a Bike
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • I Am Not Going to Get up Today!
  • Little Blue Truck's Halloween
  • The Christmas Pact
  • The Funny Little Woman
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, #1)
  • The Tiger Who Came to Tea
  • Snowmen at Night
  • I Am Peace: A Book of Mindfulness
  • Dinosaurs Love Underpants
  • There Will Be No Miracles Here: A Memoir
Jack Prelutsky is an American poet. He attended New York public schools, and later the High School of Music and Art and Hunter College. Prelutsky, who has also worked as a busboy, furniture mover, folk singer, and cab driver, claims that he hated poetry in grade school because of the way it was taught. He is the author of more than 30 poetry collections including Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your ...more

I Can Read: Level 3 (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • My Parents Think I'm Sleeping
  • Small Wolf
  • Minnie and Moo: The Case of the Missing Jelly Donut
  • Weather: Poems for All Seasons
  • Wanted Dead or Alive (Minnie and Moo)
  • Emma's Yucky Brother