Start by marking “Who Killed My Boss? (Sam Darling, #1)” as Want to Read:
Who Killed My Boss? (Sam Darling, #1)

Who Killed My Boss?

(Sam Darling #1)

A few minutes after he hires Samantha Darling as a therapist, Dr. Burns is murdered. Stunned by his sudden death and desperate to keep the job she just got, Sam vows to find the killer.

She has two things going for her. The first is that her brother Rob is a cop, and she figures the crime-solving thing has to be genetic. The second is that Sam is a little bit psychic—a
Published June 4th 2013 by eFitzgerald Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Who Killed My Boss?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Killed My Boss?

Start your review of Who Killed My Boss? (Sam Darling, #1)
Nola Arganbright
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Small town intrigue

Love this series! My mother and her siblings grew up in Quincy and I feel like I am back visiting my aunt's and uncles. I love the characters. They are well developed and very real to me. The plot was strong and subplots supported the story and added humor and intrigue!
Stephanie
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Up front you need to know that I found about this book because a family member knows the author and it was a free Kindle download over the holidays so I picked it up and just got around to reading it.

This is the first book in a series and I suspect the first book published (at least epublished) by the author. Unfortunately it shows. The writing is full of dull description and cliches and the characters are somewhat wooden. The plot is simple and for a mystery there is no tension.

As with most
Sonia
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
It had a really slow start and a few frustrating time when I wish the author would just get on with it, but I ended up enjoying it for the most part. However, I didn't like the "solution". I mean I got the whole motive and who did it, but the "twist" I really didn't like.
Tracy
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Who doesn’t see something a little mysterious happening in their every day life and think hmm, I wonder how that happened or I wonder who did that? Who doesn’t imagine him or herself a cunning sleuth, able to solve whatever mystery life throws his or her way? But what if that mystery is murder?

Author Jeri Dufresne delivers a fast-paced, entertaining mystery in Who Killed My Boss? in which social worker Samantha (Sam) Darling returns to her hometown to start a new job and finds her murdered boss
Vicky
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the character, Samantha Darling and her fur ball Clancey. I also enjoyed her siblings, her neighbors Georgeanne and Gus, and her police officer friend BH (George). I liked that the book started out with the murder from the get go. I guessed who the murderer was but not the accomplice. The book was very enjoyable and quite easy reading yet there was a bit of suspense. I stumbled upon this book accidentally. I'm guessing there is a book preceding this one and more after. I'll have to ...more
Kathleen Downey
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A really good read

A really good read

The title of this book really caught my eye, but it was a way better book than I thought it would be. the characters were superb and the storyline was excellent.
Anne-Kathrine
The concept of it was good but I had a hard time taking Sam seriously since she acted like she was 14 instead of 40. I think this one would need a rewrite to turn into a good book. I was happy to actually make it to the end.
Patricia Nielsen
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really well done!

I had a tough time putting this one down. The cast of characters was well thought out and I love the fact that her best friend is her dog. Can't wait to read the next one!
Janine
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I am not sure why cozy mysteries need to have immature 40 yr old women bumbling around when as an educated social worker Sam could use her brain. I won't be reading any more in this series.
Anne
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot more than I thought I would when I started. It did repeat the story a few times but it flowed well regardless. It was humorous in places and I loved the dog!!
Shannon
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
bored. too many repetitive words to develop characters. have "box set" so may rrad 2nd to see if it gets better?
Pia Penzotti
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a very interesting read. It had humor, had good detail, but was well written with an unexpected twist at the end.
Marilyn Mowry
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An easy enjoyable read.
Sherri Terry
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved the whole book from beginning to end,didn't have to wait for the first murder to happened, it happened in the first couple of pages. Sam Darling is in her early forties with two college kids and brothers and sisters, her best friend Clancy who's a dog(canine). Owners of her cottage and neighbors Gus and Georgianne Granville. A few characters who hated the dead man and could've killed him. Some people hated this book because the woman didn't act her age. It's just a fun book to read. Lots ...more
Terri
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I'm having a love/hate with this book. I bought a set of 6, real cheap, on Book Bub. It's a sort of typical cozy mystery. The protagonist is in her mid 40's and so seemingly immature. That gets annoying. The writing is not great either. The author tends to tell us about something....and then tell us again, with a little more detail, where I think to myself, "you already told us that....don't waste my time." That's the hate side. The love side is, it's a mystery and sometimes it's pretty funny. ...more
maryanne
May 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
So many cliches, so many hooks and threads taken from other writers. I felt as if the author was trying others styles out to see which fit best. The premise is good, I enjoyed some of the characters, but it didn't flow, the dialogue was stilted, and at times felt as if I were reading a story about a teenager, not a 40 something woman.
Downloaded as a free book on my Kindle, Thankfully. Will probably try book 2 to see if any improvement, but only if it too, is free. Otherwise would not buy.
Nikki C
Aug 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Omg. So this book was on my kobo for like forever. (I remove off bookshelf once I finish) but this one just never got done.

Finally today I said screw it I gotta finish.
IT'S SO PAINFUL.
THE WRITING IS SOOO CRINGEY.

The storytelling is so... Uninteresting and sooo poorly done in a very sad bid for comedy+mystery.

My favourite parts involved the dog and Gus. There were enough dog and Gus parts to keep me going.
Thomas
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This is actually a decent story.
Pro's. It's well written and has good character development.

Con's. The main character relies on her "feelings" to determine if someone is guilty or not. It does not matter if those feelings are identical towards a murderer, or someone she has a crush on. Identical feelings, different meanings. One's guilty, one's not.

(Oh yea, sometimes her feelings don't connect to one of the guilty parties, therefore they are deemed innocent.)
Lisa Tollard
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely Charming

This read is fun, love the quirkiness of the lead character. Written with humor, and characters are well rounded and had a solid story line. I'm looking forward to reading more from this author and this series.
I highly recommend this book for mystery lovers as well. The writer made you think you knew who committed the crime and then rethink your choice
hana
Aug 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1st, r2018
My head hurt reading this book

First book in the series, and will be my last. There's no mystery in the story, but about a nosy social worker trying to proof her vibe about the murderer. it full of boring description, and inner chatters. I'm worry for her, she might need a pill or two. On top of that, there's a possibility of love triangle, which definitely a NOT TO READ PILES
Sue Lassiter
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and wasn't sure who the killer was most of the way through it. Sam was kind of pushy though and I hate pushy women. Anyway, she was fun, although she carried this grudge with B.H. a bit too far. I mean really, she's a Social Worker/Counselor and she couldn't see the problem with her own behavior? But it ended nicely and I want to read more in this series.
Donna Crabbe
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can say this book was funny, and I can say it brought out some moments where as a pet owner, I can say I've had some conversations that were one way but the looks given back were priceless,
I find this book book made me really think ok this is a really deep, There was no telling whom was the perp/perps . I was like hell no....I rated 5 stars because I had no clues well done to the writer
Suzan
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
This is the first book in this series and the first book I have read by this author. The book was an enjoyable read. I really liked the characters and look forward to reading more in the series and watching them develop.
Nessie
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good Cosie murder Mystery.

I love my Cosy Mysteries, and Jerilyn came through for me with a delightful tale of murder, light comedy and an unsuspected bit of a twist that I wasn't expecting. Well worth reading to those who like Cosies. Nessie
Doina Condrea
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
Enjoyed it. Sam Darling doesn't really live up to her name but it was enough that I stuck with it until the end, mostly because I wanted to know if I was right.
Sam said something along the lines of "he's too cute to be a murderer" and I still can't decide if that's funny or pathetic.
Marcia-Lee Finocchio
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sam Darling Mystery

This was an interesting and entertaining book, a therapist who was just hired boss is murdered. Sam wants to find the killer and show everyone how smart she can be... a lot of twists and turns along the way.
Robyn Echols
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good Sense of Humor

I really liked the author's sense of humor. The lovable, less than perfect heroine seemed convinced she was right in her self-depreciating way. Good Plot, kept me guessing until the end.
Cindy
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a quick fun read
Karolynn Cechowski
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished
This book was just okay. I'm hoping that the next books in the series pick up a bit. But it was a quick read.
SUE
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
easy read, gripping, a good amount of humor. The same day that Sam starts her new job her boss was murdered. Besides doing her job she believes she knows who the killer is and she investigates.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Death in Room 7 (Pine Lake Inn #1)
  • How to Bake a Murder (Cookie and Cream #1)
  • Footprints in the Frosting (Holly Hart, #1)
  • Flo Charts (Silver Hills Cozy Mysteries)
  • A Honeybun and Coffee (Honeybun Heat #1)
  • Murder, Curlers, and Cream (Valentine Beaumont Mysteries #1)
  • Murder in Cherry Hills (Cozy Cat Caper Mystery, #1)
  • Throw a Monkey Wrench (An Emma Cassidy Mystery Book 1)
  • Cupcakes and Conspiracies (Sweet Baked Mystery Book 1)
  • Murder Most Thorny (Myrtle Grove Garden Club Mystery Book 2)
  • The Secret of Seaside (Paige Comber Mystery Book 1)
  • Murder in the Art Gallery (Pet Portraits Mystery, #1)
  • Mango Cake and Murder (Mom and Christy's Mysteries #1)
  • From Garden To Grave (The Leafy Hollow Mysteries, #1)
  • High Strung (Glass Bead Mystery, #1)
  • Poison in Paddington (Cassie Coburn Mystery #1)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (Witch Woods Funeral Home, #1)
  • Strawberries & Crème Murder (A Donut Hole Cozy Mystery #1)

Sam Darling (7 books)
  • Any Meat In That Soup? (Sam Darling, #2)
  • Can You Picture This? (Sam Darling Mystery #3)
  • Will You Marry Me? (Sam Darling Mystery, #4)
  • Where Is Henderson? (Sam Darling Mystery Book 5)
  • Who's the Rogue? (Sam Darling Mystery Book 6)
  • Who Dies Next? (Sam Darling Mystery Book 7)
“Mom always said that confidence is a great leadership tool.” 1 likes
“Rob was the only non-blond. His dark brown hair shone with a hint of red in it.” 0 likes