Start by marking “The Ministry of Intercessory Prayer” as Want to Read:
The Ministry of Intercessory Prayer

The Ministry of Intercessory Prayer

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  458 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Throughout his ministry, Andrew Murray passionately prayed and taught people about prayer. In this volume he combines his devotional writing with his only study guide on prayer: "Pray Without Ceasing." His simple but profound goal is teaching Christians how to change the world through the powerful ministry of intercession.
Published April 1st 2003 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 1897)

To ask other readers questions about The Ministry of Intercessory Prayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ministry of Intercessory Prayer

Anne Marie
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As with all of Andrew Murray books, this is an in-depth study on the power of intercessory prayer. I have read many books on prayer and this one is both powerful and practical. A must read for anyone wanting to make prayer more central to their Christian walk.
Milla
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is so very rich. Almost too rich for me - I kept getting bogged down. But whenever I came back to it, I found myself greatly encouraged to pursue God in prayer.
Rebecca Wattier
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
On my reading schedule I planned to read this book in four weeks. It has taken me nearly five months. The content is not complex but the way it is put together has been something that needed to seep deep into my heart. As I read, the Holy Spirit convicted and prompted me in a way few books have ever done. This book will be something I read over and over again, and recommend to those wanting to learn more about prayer as well as those struggling to pray. The author describes intercessory prayer i ...more
Jeff
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This may be the best book on prayer I have ever read. I have never read the original book, published as The Ministry of Intercession, but this volume is "edited for today's reader." I was continuously inspired as I read this book, finding the principles inside to be sound theology and worthy of working into a regular intercessory prayer ministry. Especially helpful is the last section of the book which is called "Pray Without Ceasing: A 31-Day Course." In this section, the reader is given sugges ...more
Lynda
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another excellent book on prayer by Andrew Murray, focusing on intercessory prayer. The 30 days of Intercessory Prayer in the notes at the book's end suggest actual things to pray for to bless those in your own circle and extending out to all the world. Watchmen are needed on the walls! Learn to pray. There is no excuse on this one. It is a sin not to be praying for others as they go down in darkness to be lost for ever. Everyone is called to join Jesus in praying. Prayer enables Jesus t ...more
Ian King
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If any book could change your future, and the future of many others, then this is the one! Murray has insight like very few others that have walked this planet. His writing and his love of the Lord and people is unbridled! What a book, what teaching and the doing he brings out in this amazing book is something I so wish I had done years ago.
God loves His people and he needs us to intercede for them... if we did take this book and this mission on board, oh how different this world would be. To g
Lincoln Forlong
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lincoln by: Myself
Andrew Murray writes simply as he walks the reader through the many leassons learned regarding a vital prayer life, particularly intercessory prayer.
While some chapters are a little repetative, the author keeps the readers attention well. There are places where it gets a little difficult to see clearly how Murray extrapolates his conclussions. However, this is a worthy read for anyone serious about meaningful prayer.
Rebecca Lewitt
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book--and more: it definitely challenged me to become more of an intercessor and gave me a scriptural look at what that means. I particularly found the appendix on 31 days of helps to intercession beneficial and powerful--he gives you scriptures on what to pray for and HOW to pray. I think that's the part that I like best about Andrew Murray's writing--the presence of so much scripture. It's not just a man's opinion, it's more of an exposition of scripture.
Mimi Davis Hopkins
Prayer Is The Way

This book is a GREAT tool for all who believe. I like the way that it gives instructions on prayer topics and not just herbal instructions on prayer. Even Intercessors need a reminder to stay on their post as well as praying for all that is laid on their hearts. Everyone in the church should read and study this book.
Jeremy
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent work on the vital necessity of prayer in the individual and corporate lives of Christ followers. Murray does a masterful job of calling out the church for giving lip service to prayer but living in contradiction to that verbal assent. This should be required reading, at the very least, for all seminary students.
Brandi
May 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book definitely helped me understand how much more time I need to spend in prayer and why it is important. It was a little repetitive -- but sometimes repetition is the key to learning! There were a couple places where it seemed like he implied that our lack of prayer hinders God -- which would mean that God isn't completely sovereign.
Tristan
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you need to understand prayer better, or want motivation to pray, this is the book to read. Andrew Murray was a powerful pray-er, and reading about his views on the topic is inspirational and brought me to a "high" with regards to believing in the power and efficacy of prayer, that leveled off to a place that was still above where I was. Good book.
Marcus Lynn
Redundant...redundant...and exactly what I needed to read. Also, one chapter was a little too "works-righteousness" sounding but this is definitely a book on prayer that I need to read at this time in my journey.

Linda
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, classics
An encouraging book on prayer, specifically intercessory prayer. Of the two, "Christ in the School of Prayer," this book was easier to read and comprehend. A helpful book for those God has called to the ministry of intercessory prayer.
Clara Roberts
Sep 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Murray say that where there is much prayer there is much of the Spirit. He has a chapter of Christ as our example of one who intercedes. A moving chapter dealt with God calling people to the minstry of intercession. Although an old book this was an inspiring book.
Peggy
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is a read over many many times book. No book on prayer has led me to actually pray as much as this book! Murray takes and applies the Scriptures on prayer that makes you know you are missing out if you don't start praying now. It is what our world needs now more than ever.
May
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic book on the power of prayer. Though he died nearly 100 years ago , Andrew Murphy's argument for the need for people of faith to engage in intercession (praying for others) is still on target today.
Janice
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic explanation of the role of and need for intercession in the life of the believer and of the church as a whole.
Lisa
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
Andrew Murray writes one of the best prayer books, not only for the beginner, but also for the well versed .
April
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is so on point and encouraging. There's even a daily prayer guide in the back. Even though this was written way back in the day, it's still absolutely relevant.
Carrie O'connor
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a provoking book...so much insight on the call to and power of intercession.
Glen
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andrew Murray is always refreshing because he expressed his spirituality in such a simplistic and authentic way. This is more in the devotional genre and will encourage you to greater prayer.
Ninke
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspirerend!
Dennis Thurman
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most important books on prayer I have ever read. Along with Bounds' "The Power Through Prayer" has had a big influence on my ministry.
Luke D
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Wonderful! Really opened my eyes to see the glorious power of prayer, its enormous privilege and how important (and joyful!) intercession is.
AMANDA SMITH
Stephen S. Wolfe
Nov 23, 2016
  • The Hidden Life of Prayer: The Lifeblood of the Christian
  • The Path of Loneliness: Finding Your Way Through the Wilderness to God
  • Alone With God (MacArthur Study Series)
  • Power Through Prayer
  • Green Leaf In Drought
  • Becoming a Prayer Warrior: A Guide to Effective and Powerful Prayer
  • The Hour That Changes the World: A Practical Plan for Personal Prayer
  • Speaking Truth in Love: Counsel in Community
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. .

Murray was Born in Cape Town, South Africa, Murray became a noted missionary leader. His father was a Scottish Presbyterian serving the Dutch Reformed Church of South Africa, and his mother had connections with both French Huguenots and German Lutherans. This background to some extent explains his ecumenical s
More about Andrew Murray...
“If it is God who has been withholding His presence, exposing the sin, calling for its destruction and a return to obedience, surely we can count upon His grace to strengthen us for the life He asks of us. It is not a question of what you can do. It is a question of whether you will with your whole heart give God what is due Him and allow His will to be done in your life.” 2 likes
“Unless we are willing to pay the price, to sacrifice time and attention and seemingly legitimate or necessary tasks for the sake of the spiritual gifts, we need not look for much power from above in our work.” 2 likes