Start by marking “It's Thanksgiving” as Want to Read:
It's Thanksgiving

It's Thanksgiving

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  224 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Presents twelve poems about Thanksgiving, including When Daddy carves the Turkey, I Ate Too Much, Daddy's Football Game, and If Turkeys Thought.
Published October 21st 1996 by HarperTrophy (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about It's Thanksgiving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Thanksgiving

ABC
Nov 02, 2010 rated it liked it
This short book of Thanksgiving poems is cute. Maybe not best for a kid about to get braces, though.... (There is a poem about braces hurting.)
Sharon
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-time
Jack Prelutsky. What more is there to write? :) Dating myself here - I remember sharing this book with different reading groups during my work-scholarship days when it was first published! Honestly, it is as fun for me to share with each additional reading through the years. I shared several of the sections during story times this past month and Naomi read it aloud today

Marilyn Hafner's illustrations are always fun and perfectly fit the text.

Every aspect of Thanksgiving is covered from going to
Josiah
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jack Prelutsky has been blessed to work with a number of fine illustrators. Marylin Hafner isn't as famous as Peter Sís, Garth Williams, or Arnold Lobel, but her artwork for It's Thanksgiving is tender and endearing, uniquely evocative of the feelings of family togetherness and purposeful gratitude that make Thanksgiving a holiday we can't afford not to celebrate. For every dextrous turn of phrase or clever rhyme Jack Prelutsky produces, Marylin Hafner has a soft-toned image to deepen its meani ...more
Penny
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poetry is one of those areas all-too-neglected in a modern education. Many kids never learn to enjoy poetry and rarely read it. Unlike more classic poetry, which can be hard for children to enjoy, these poems are fun, silly, and modern, making them easy for a modern child to love.

There are tons of Thanksgiving books out there. Many of them are factual books about the history of the holiday. There are a lot about family dinners and get togethers. However, these poems are unique and fun. We'll rea
Amy
I liked all of these poems.

'The Thanksgiving Day Parade' reminded me of the one Thanksgiving I was lucky enough to be in New York for the Thanksgiving parade -
and that reminds me of the one I spent in Orlando at a French restaurant -
And of how many people actually do eat out on Thanksgiving (and sadly, how many still have to work.)
Which reminds me of the sea of people in the grocery store days during my time as a checker....

Carly
Nov 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades K-8
Shelves: poetry
I really think all levels of students would enjoy this book because they are cute, funny, poems about Thanksgiving that nearly every student can relate to. I loved this book and thought they were hysterical and I read it to my students the day before Thanksgiving and they thought it was great. Prelutsky has a way with words and writes about normal events that everybody can relate to in a very comical way. It would be a great book to read during a poetry unit or around Thanksgiving.
Tam
Oct 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: thanksgiving
This is a Level 3 Reader meaning complex plots for confident readers to read alone.

My child didn't really like this book because it's different poems rather than one story.

Poems are: It's Happy Thanksgiving, The First Thanksgiving, The Middle of November, If Turkeys Thought, I Went Hungry on Thanksgiving, The Thanksgiving Day Parade, When Daddy Carves the Turkey, I Ate Too Much, Daddy's Football Game, The Wishbone, Gobble Gobble, and Leftovers.
Stephanie
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: february
I really liked this book because of the illustrations. I liked how the story was not just how nice Thanksgiving is but that it is a crazy holiday but fun. This book is a great representation of how a holiday could be and how fun it is. This would be a great book to read during the Thanksgiving holiday.
Amanda
Nov 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Jack Prelutsky. He makes poetry cool and kids like it. My 4 yr old son loved this book, especially Gobble, Gobble and Leftovers. From the contents, he was hooked when he saw the word "football".
Relyn
Jan 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teachers and parents, for read aloud
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Jack P.
Shelves: lawsonland
Jack's always a hit with my kids.

Curriculum Connection
I always start our Morning Meeting by reading a poem to my class. Most of them would tell you it's one of their favorite parts of the day. This has some really fun poems to read aloud around Thanksgiving.
Adrianne
Dec 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thanksgiving
Prelutsky's Thanksgiving poetry has it all: turkeys, pilgrims, the parade, overeating, football, leftovers, etc. Will and I read it last November and this November. And I plan on reading it next November.
Monica Johnson
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Poem book written for ages nursey (N) to primary (P). Great illustrations and easy to read poems. Fun reading for young readers will guarantee a very special reading experience! I give them all five stars!
Volkert
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another book of children's poems. These really reflect contemporary American Thanksgiving from a kid's perspective. This could have been written at one of our family Thanksgiving gatherings when the children were young.
Starsha Vang
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ed-310
I loved this book. I loved that there were so many different poems about the different aspects of Thanksgiving. This book gives a good variety of topics for children to read about. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes Thanksgiving obviously and to all ages of children.
Kelley Bennett
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book has some cute beginning poems about Thanksgiving. There are 12 poems and they are fairly short. They are very basic with simple rhyming and great for beginning readers with a Thanksgiving theme. There are illustrations to go along with each poem.
Sierra Hagar
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holiday
while reading this book it took me back to thanksgiving. This book covers everything that has to do with that holiday, including food, being thankful and even football. It definitely puts you in the holiday spirit.
Mar 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Collection of short poems sure to please most kids. My personal favorite is about the poor kid who missed out on the Thanksgiving meal because "My new braces hurt too much."
Rachelolivia
Jun 01, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
II
Mary
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, thanksgiving
An upbeat Thanksgiving read aloud. Three popular poems are "I Went Hungry on Thanksgiving"; "I Ate Too Much"; and "The Wishbone."
Elanor
Feb 22, 2015 added it
All by herself!
Tracy E.
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not Prelutsky's best work. Most poems are outdated in terms of social roles and history.
Angela Record
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Peoms about thanksgiving. Wonderful book with wonderful pictures. This is great for yound readers.
Jaime Contreras
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a comprehensive and wonderful collection of poems and limericks with a Thanksgiving Day there. It was funny and light.
Andd Becker
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jack Prelutsky's poems are funny and readable.
Lauren
I had to read one of these poems during my Thanksgiving story time. I LOVED Prelutsky's poetry as a child. Next up: his Christmas collection!
Sylvia
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holiday-book, owned
Love Jack Prelutsky's holiday poem books for children. They are a great introduction to poetry, great to read aloud and very funny. Kids will love it and so will you.
Sweetsweet
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was cool! They dress cool. I think the chief is the best because he takes care of his group.
Kathryn
Nov 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was a delight. Little chapters all done in rhyme and the artwork was cute and fun. This is one I'll get for my granddaughter.
Jenny
Nov 30, 2014 rated it liked it
A short collection of (primarily ) humorous poems about Thanksgiving. My 6 year old has spent much of this Thanksgiving weekend reading and rereading these poems.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Turkey for Thanksgiving
  • Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks
  • Thanksgiving Is Here!
  • Molly's Pilgrim
  • Thanksgiving at the Tappletons'
  • T Is for Turkey
  • Franklin's Thanksgiving
  • Arthur's Thanksgiving (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Cranberry Thanksgiving
  • A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving
  • This First Thanksgiving Day: A Counting Story
  • The Night Before Thanksgiving
  • The Very First Thanksgiving Day
  • Thank You, Sarah: The Woman Who Saved Thanksgiving
20775
Jack Prelutsky is an American poet. He attended New York public schools, and later the High School of Music and Art and Hunter College. Prelutsky, who has also worked as a busboy, furniture mover, folk singer, and cab driver, claims that he hated poetry in grade school because of the way it was taught. He is the author of more than 30 poetry collections including Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your ...more
More about Jack Prelutsky...