Start by marking “Zoo Doings” as Want to Read:
Zoo Doings

Zoo Doings

Make way for a zany zoo-full of wonderful poems saluting the animal kingdom, composed by a reigning children's poet, Jack Prelutsky. Readers familiar with Prelutsky's staggeringly vast body of work know that he can always be counted on for clever nonsense poems that are guaranteed to elicit giggles. His track record remains unbeatable with this wacky collection of animal o ...more
Published January 1st 1983 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Zoo Doings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zoo Doings

Laura Verret
I debated back and forth with myself before buying this book. I couldn’t quite tell whether it fell into the clever or silly category. In the end, I decided to lay out the quarter on it. I’m glad I did.

The poems aren’t the cleverest things that ever happened, but they are quite funny. Each poem is about a different animal – we meet wallabys, sloths, eggs, dromedaries, and Bengal tigers. My favorite poem, though, had to be about the oysters.

Oysters
Are creatures
Without
Any features.

There’s als
Charles
Feb 25, 2015 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of fun and sometimes nonsensical verses that will make children giggle. The subjects are animals that nearly all children will be familiar with and an illustration accompanies every verse. All verses are short and the following is the one for the chipmunk.

"Chitter-chatter, chitter-chatter
is the chipmunk's steady patter,
even when he's eating acorns
(which he hopes will make him fatter)."

As the example shows, each segment of verse contains a few facts about the featured animal,
Rachel Keller
Feb 27, 2015 Rachel Keller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun book and so accessible to elementary children. I have never met a child in elementary school who is not, at least a little bit, interested in animals. These cute, quirky, and informative poems capture that interest and inspire creativity. I was especially drawn to the poem Electric Eels (p. 46). The poem shares real facts about the eel, yet it does so in a sing-song way. I think it is a nice example of how a poem can teach you something, but can be approachable. I would use this book ...more
Katherine Kim
Jul 24, 2014 Katherine Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun book of short poems about animals. Children will love the catchy rhyme and rhythm and even the brevity of the poems will engage children. I would recommend this book to children from early to middle elementary aged readers. Each animal poem has a small illustration to go with it. Teachers can teach rhyming patterns with this book and even do fun, creative projects to go with the poems.
Candice Call
Mar 18, 2013 Candice Call rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This book includes a collection of poems all based on a zoo animal theme. Although younger students may not be able to read the poems independently, the book is a good example to show the students how poems vary (shot, long, theme, rhyming, etc.) An exicting activity for this book would be to read some of the poems as examples before or after a zoo field trip then have students create their own poems based on what animal they saw and the observations they made.
Mia Israelsen Blackwelder
Just read this one aloud to Taicy over the last couple days- it has a ton of great, simple poems about different animals in the zoo, but not just the common ones. He writes about a lot of much lesser emphasized animals. It's a great collection of poetry.
Lindsey Richard
Full of fun poems that are relatively easy to read. No poem takes up more than two of the small pages, and that is including the small sketches by each entry. Every poem in here is about animals, hence the name "Zoo Doings". Very good book to get younger children involved in poetry.
Leah Michelle
May 22, 2012 Leah Michelle rated it really liked it
Counts as a poetry anthology. one book.
Crystal
Apr 12, 2008 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
Shelves: poetry
fun, simple children's poems about animals.

"Don't ever make
the sad mistake
of stepping on a sleeping snake
(because his jaws might be awake!)"
April
Jan 31, 2010 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with elementary age kids
Recommended to April by: Miss Baden
I liked that he wrote poems about some animals that normally do not get recognized, like the eel or dromedary. However, there were a few poems where the rhythm was a little off and bothers me.
Maura
Maura rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2014
Sarah rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2017
Jill Donaldson
Jill Donaldson rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2015
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2012
Mackenzie Ness
Mackenzie Ness rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2012
Janice
Janice rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2009
Deborah O'Carroll
Deborah O'Carroll rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2013
Alison
Alison rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2016
Callaway Kobes
Callaway Kobes rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2015
Rem
Rem rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2016
Janelle
Janelle rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2011
Vonnegut
Vonnegut rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2010
Natasha
Natasha rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2013
Richelle
Richelle rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2014
Pinky
Pinky rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2013
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2016
Alex heppenstall
Alex heppenstall rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2015
MrsMalone_emmie
MrsMalone_emmie rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2011
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2013
20775
Jack Prelutsky is an American poet. He attended New York public schools, and later the High School of Music and Art and Hunter College. Prelutsky, who has also worked as a busboy, furniture mover, folk singer, and cab driver, claims that he hated poetry in grade school because of the way it was taught. He is the author of more than 30 poetry collections including Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your ...more
More about Jack Prelutsky...