Start by marking “Dream Storm Sea” as Want to Read:
Dream Storm Sea

Dream Storm Sea

(Lady of Gems #4)

She saved their lives. They rewarded her with imprisonment. She vows to escape, even if she has to cross a sea flourishing with monsters and magical storms.
Published December 25th 2013 (first published December 20th 2013)

Start your review of Dream Storm Sea
Eric
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, fantasy, horror
A.E. Marling continues his streak of unique and disturbing fantasy with his latest tale of the lands of loam.

I have read all of the novels about enchantress Hiresha. In the latest installment, both she and the author have outdone themselves.

The story begins with Hiresha's life being turned upside down. Before she knows it, she's on the run, separated from Spellsword Fos, and forced to get by with only a single small gem. In extremis, she finds herself at sea in a small fishing craft with a forme
Madison Keller
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
After saving the academy in Gravity’s Revenge, Enchantress Hiresha expects to be lauded as a hero. Instead she is stripped of her titles, her jewels, and her gowns. Exiled to the edges of the empire, Hiresha vows to escape and make her own way in the world.

With the help of Innanis, the Jewel Duper, and Emesea the false novice, Hiresha escapes only to find herself trapped on a small boat in the dangerous sea with Emesea and Tethiel.

I loved the world of the sea. Its incredibly imaginative, and bre
A.E. Marling
Dec 26, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
A note on series:

If you like your fantasy dark and you protagonists to be bundles of flaws loosely strung together by heroism, then first look into Brood of Bones and Fox's Bride.

If more nobility beats in your heart, and you prefer soaring stories, consider reading Gravity's Revenge first.

If you found Dream Storm Sea because you, like me, are entranced by the vast mystery of the deep and want a tale of storm and beautiful monsters, then dive right in. The water is glowing.

The eBook is currentl
Meghan
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
best one yet! so trippy. first I was all "those rat bastards", then "oh, I like her. she is so cray-cray", and then "ha-ha, Mr. sexy got seasick." and then the book got better. soooo original. this was great! and the ending!!!! I had to go back and reread a bunch just to untangle my mind. this is tween friendly, nana friendly, good times. read to your kids. read it to your mom. read it out loud to the stranger on the bus... ok, not so much. the humour in this is just outstanding. so sly. so gigg ...more
Mel Horne
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
As refreshing as a dip in the ocean, as perplexing as a cunning idea, Dream Storm Sea is a pleasure to read and think about. The twisting entwining tale is engrossing, it meanders off in parts, but is always fun. A.E Marling is getting better and better a joy to read.
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I had no idea this was out. Actually I had no idea it even existed. What a great new year!
Carolien
May 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
Didn’t like the storyline.
Jake Hill
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh wow.

Seriously, absolutely awe inspiring. I would have written awesome however the modern language has altered it's meaning just enough it no longer means what it use to mean. Such is language.

Drifting from my purpose though.

This was the best one by far! I loved the first and third (the second one for me just wasn't as grand) books but this one crowns it all. It is the paragon of the series.

The start of the book is good. It has wit and wonder. And then it falls apart and things just don't g
Olivia
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So, sea-faring stories are a love of mine. Also epic battles and sweet-ass magic. Put them together with a dash of dorky sayings from a particular illusionist, a savagely fantastic and fearless warrior, and the overly-practical enchantress I've fallen for, and it makes for a heart-stopping story.

Dream Storm Sea also gave me a ridiculous amount of emotional turmoil as Hiresha fights two very different battles in her mind. Guessing between the two realities was upsetting to the point where I had
Kristi
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
At the beginning of this book i was pretty excited by it and found it hard to put down. The descriptions of the sea and the monster were so fantastic and amazing. But as soon as the dreams began...i felt so many conflicting emotions. Both seemed impossible at times and both had elements i wanted to be real along with elements i hoped were not. By the end of the book i was very confused about what was happening in each dream, i was getting them mixed up. I really want to reread this but haven't f ...more
Jently
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya-friendly
Loved it! The Hiresha books are probably one of my favorite reading discoveries of the last year. Anyone who is looking for a unique, exciting and wonderfully magical fantasy setting should check them out. Dream Storm Sea was no exception. I love how Hiresha is coming more and more into her own with each book. Not to mention how great a partner in crime Tethiel has become. I have no idea how a happy ending would work with those two but I can't help hoping for it. :)
Lillith
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beloved-books
I could not put this one down! This is some beautifully detailed, clever and suspenseful writing in such a fantastic setting - around the sea, over the sea, under the sea. The action is intense and the developments with Hiresha were a delight to read. The maps are gorgeous.

Absolutely loved it.
Cinnamon Hensel
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I can't wait to see where Hiresha ends up next!
Min
Mar 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Danielle
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm really bad about not reading the chapter titles. Read the chapter titles. It'll save so much confusion.
Sabeth
Chell Hazelton
Mar 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

• Last Song Before Night
  • Hannibal Rising (Hannibal Lecter, #4)
  • From Hell
  • The World as Will and Representation, Vol. 2
  • Hannibal (Hannibal Lecter, #3)
  • The Emperor of Scent: A True Story of Perfume and Obsession
  • Sickness In Hell: The Death of Mankind
  • The World as Will and Representation, Vol. 1
  • The King in Yellow and Other Horror Stories
  • The Jews and Their Lies
  • Les Chants de Maldoror
  • Sugar Daddies
  • Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Plant-Based Diet
  • The Gormenghast Novels (Gormenghast, #1-3)
  • Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
  • Siege
  • Hogg
A.E. Marling wrote his first fantasy novella after his freshman year in high school. In college, he found nothing gave him a greater urge to write than science lectures, and he sat through a lot of ‘em. He has yet to repent his fascination with fantasy and is intrigued by its grip on the human imagination.

Both ambidextrous and word-voracious, his diet ranges from Arthurian legends to Jane Austen.

Lady of Gems (7 books)
  • Magic Banquet
  • Dark Lord's Wedding

News & Interviews

“Time sleeping is always well spent.” 1 likes
“There can be nothing more frightening in a gigantic monster of many tentacles than intelligence.” 0 likes